ImageImageImage

KO should be the center of the offense.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Re: KO should be the center of the offense. 

Post#141 » by Golabki » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 pm

DB Aussie wrote:
Golabki wrote:
KamikazeK wrote:That is just completely ridiculous. If anything, KO s the butt end of racist tendencies in certain people who immediately write him off for being a goofy white guy

Racist my ass.
as I said... I'm not trying to call anyone racist.

I've also been impressed with KO, and I'd have no problem with a thread that said - let's try to get KO more touches in the half court, but there's a level of hyperbole here that is beyond the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

"hyperbole". Says the guy who brought up racism out of the freakin' blue.

I only used the word to say I was not trying to call anyone "racist"... But I do think Kelly had gotten a special level of fan interest

Also, I mentioned hair in my earlier post, not to make fun of Kelly's hair, but because if Kelly was a black guy with a really awesome afro I think we'd have even more Kelly-super fans

DB Aussie
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#142 » by DB Aussie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:32 pm

Golabki wrote:
DB Aussie wrote:
Golabki wrote:as I said... I'm not trying to call anyone racist.

I've also been impressed with KO, and I'd have no problem with a thread that said - let's try to get KO more touches in the half court, but there's a level of hyperbole here that is beyond the norm.

"hyperbole". Says the guy who brought up racism out of the freakin' blue.

I only used the word to say I was trying to call anyone "racist"... But I do think Kelly had gotten a special level of fan interest

Also, I mentioned hair in my earlier post, not to make fun of Kelly's hair, but because if Kelly was a black guy with a really awesome afro I think we'd have even more Kelly-super fans

yeah, you only brought up the word "racist" because you weren't trying to call anybody racist.

And I'm not trying to call anybody a jack ass.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,855

Post#143 » by 24istheLAW » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:15 pm

I propose a stickied "Official Things You Don't Even Know Thread". Mods?
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#144 » by Datruth345 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:47 pm

DB Aussie & his banned alias NL41 is an obvious agenda troll, don't fall victim friends!
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,141

Post#145 » by DarkAzcura » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:10 am

Datruth345 wrote:DB Aussie & his banned alias NL41 is an obvious agenda troll, don't fall victim friends!

Is it possible to be a positive troll? Honest question. :lol:
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 521

Post#146 » by Geoffrey P » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:21 am

You mean arambone?
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,516

Post#147 » by 165bows » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:59 am

This thread better not drag along for three weeks like the one suggesting Marcus Smart play 2 guard lol. Guy's banned and his threads still won't die.
palewhitesemite
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#148 » by palewhitesemite » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:45 am

NL41 wrote:The only things missing from KOs offensive game early last season were confidence to fire away, confidence to dribble-drive, NBA experience, and perhaps a little more all-around polish, which he now has.

The KO we saw from January on wasn't some fluke, as a few detractors like to tell themselves. That KO was just the beginning of what we can expect from him going forward.

I'd rather have KO taking ill-advised contested jumpers than Bradley or Green or anybody else. KO not only has more potential than those guys, but he can get his shot off much easier than those guys, making his contested shots less contested.

KO is a better passer and ball handler than Bradley and Green and Bass and even Sullinger, and it just makes too much sense not to get the ball in KO's hands as much as possible.

KO's upside, if not this year, is 24-25 ppg on good efficiency, with 6 assists and 10 rebounds. Like a stronger, slower, more complete, point forward version of LM Aldridge.

KO basically already has much of Paul Pierce's basic offensive skill set, except in a 7 foot body. A more complete herky-jerky arsenal of pull-ups might take a couple more years to fully develop, but at 7 ft less herky and jerky are needed to free up a shot against shorter and/or more lumbering big men than what Pierce faced at SF.

You might think I'm getting way ahead of myself, and KO hasn't proven enough yet so he should be a secondary weapon while Green and Bradley chuck away. Fair enough, but I think you're about to find that Stevens is already thinking along the same lines I'm describing.

A few weeks ago I suggested that the Smart/KO pick and roll should be the centerpiece of the Celtics' offense. While I still think that will be an excellent play for us in the short and long-term, more and more I'm thinking that KO should be the go-to guy for playing the ball handler role in the pick and roll, with guys like Sully or Zeller setting the pick for him.

KOs dribble drive talent is still not extremely well known, but by now we all have a good idea that his decision making is outstanding.

During the most recent glory days, the Celtics' offense ran through Paul Pierce as much or more than it did through Rondo. And no, 2012-13 was not our glory days, when we started out 20-24 with a ball dominant Rondo.

Pierce in his prime and late prime was excellent running the pick and roll with KG and others, and KO has all the tools necessary to succeed in this same role, however unconventional it might be for a 7 footer to do so.

KO and Sully have had great chemistry just about from the get-go last year, as they are both heady players with well rounded skill sets. Sully sets a nice wide pick, and KO is going to be at his best in these situations, with a little room to dribble drive, or go right up with the jump shot, or fake the drive and then pull up off one or two legs, or drive and dish, or drive and kick, or fake the jump shot, pass, and cut to the hoop.

I really think we're going to be talking about one of the most dangerous all around offensive weapons in the league within the next two seasons, and the more KO is emphasized in the Celtics' offense, the faster that development will happen.

For 2014-15 KO to shoot as inefficiently as Green did last year, he would probably have to put up a ridiculous number of shots, and he'd probably end up with 21+ ppg as opposed to Green's 17 ppg last year.

Guys like Green, Bradley, and Rondo are going to want to get lots of shots and/or control the ball excessively, but hopefully this motion offense gets the ball out of their hands more and into KOs, with a big green light from Stevens to dribble drive, run the pick and roll, and otherwise let Sunshine shine.

I agree with most of this. And now that Rondo's gone, we'll probably see more of KO handling the ball and making moves.

At the very least, in a reserve role, KO can still be one of our top 3 players, or even our best player. Playing a Paul Pierce type of game against backups, and then closing out games when he's hot.

When KO plays well like tonight, he's better than Drummond and most other starting centers in the league. Probably the most versatile offensive center in the league, and probably the best shooting center in the league as well.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,948

Post#149 » by 31to6 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:01 am

palewhitesemite wrote:I agree with most of this.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
well what an amazing coincidence? and pray-tell, how ever did you happen to stumble upon it?

It's awesome if Kelly lives up to his potential, and he's clearly playing like he wants to now which is step #1.

That said I still cannot believe a post describing his potential as 25-10-6 exists in this world. I think most of us could live with something like 20-10 (though much more likely, 20 and 7; maybe throw ideas like 22 and 8 around if you want to be super optimistic - but to get to 6 apg at his current rate he'd have to play 75 minutes a night). Good example right there of how calming it down a bit could make you a much more appreciated contributor!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#150 » by greenroom31 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:29 am

31to6 wrote:
palewhitesemite wrote:I agree with most of this.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
well what an amazing coincidence? and pray-tell, how ever did you happen to stumble upon it?

It's awesome if Kelly lives up to his potential, and he's clearly playing like he wants to now which is step #1.

That said I still cannot believe a post describing his potential as 25-10-6 exists in this world. I think most of us could live with something like 20-10 (though much more likely, 20 and 7; maybe throw ideas like 22 and 8 around if you want to be super optimistic - but to get to 6 apg at his current rate he'd have to play 75 minutes a night). Good example right there of how calming it down a bit could make you a much more appreciated contributor!

Was just waiting for someone else to point out the obvious... :nod: :nod: :nod:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
palewhitesemite
Banned User

Post#151 » by palewhitesemite » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:35 am

NL41 wrote:Some of you guys are so hung up on KO's limitations as a rim protector that you overlook and trivialize his incredibly unique skill set as a 7 footer.

And then there's the fact that his wingspan is only 6'10", whereas if each arm was one inch longer your hopes and expectations would have been much higher.

KO's skillset and physical tools are rare almost to the point of being unique, so you can't plug him into some pre-existing formula for success.

shooting guards must be able to shoot 3s, and 7 footers like KO must be excellent rim protectors or they can't succeed in a big way.

KO might be better than DeAndre Jordan right now, but a lot of Celtics fans would never think of it because Jordan fits into a traditional role of a center and KO doesn't plug into that cookie cutter role.

To the unimaginative, KO's silky shooting touch, soft hands, and point guard passing and dribbling skills are a big yawn, when in reality these skills in a smart 7 footer make up one of the best packages of skill and potential in the entire league.

DeAndre Jordan and Asik and Dwight can't score outside of 5 feet, let alone run the pick and roll, but somehow it doesn't matter that KO can do all that and much much more.

We have the makings of a top 5 center, and it's staring you right in the smug face.

I agree with most of this. Especially the part about KO's value staring skeptics right in the smug face.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#152 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:37 am

palewhitesemite wrote:
NL41 wrote:Some of you guys are so hung up on KO's limitations as a rim protector that you overlook and trivialize his incredibly unique skill set as a 7 footer.

And then there's the fact that his wingspan is only 6'10", whereas if each arm was one inch longer your hopes and expectations would have been much higher.

KO's skillset and physical tools are rare almost to the point of being unique, so you can't plug him into some pre-existing formula for success.

shooting guards must be able to shoot 3s, and 7 footers like KO must be excellent rim protectors or they can't succeed in a big way.

KO might be better than DeAndre Jordan right now, but a lot of Celtics fans would never think of it because Jordan fits into a traditional role of a center and KO doesn't plug into that cookie cutter role.

To the unimaginative, KO's silky shooting touch, soft hands, and point guard passing and dribbling skills are a big yawn, when in reality these skills in a smart 7 footer make up one of the best packages of skill and potential in the entire league.

DeAndre Jordan and Asik and Dwight can't score outside of 5 feet, let alone run the pick and roll, but somehow it doesn't matter that KO can do all that and much much more.

We have the makings of a top 5 center, and it's staring you right in the smug face.

I agree with most of this. Especially the part about KO's value staring skeptics right in the smug face.

This is a shocking turn of events
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,190

Post#153 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:58 am

Kelly Olynyk's W/L splits:
Wins: 15 ppg, 60.8 FG% (59/97), 50 3FG% (15/30)
Losses: 9.5 ppg, 45.3 FG% (49/108), 35.3 3FG% (12/34)

Bradley and Green even score more during losses on average. Turner and Sully's numbers are about the same either way.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Murta
Sixth Man
And1: 1,823

Post#154 » by Murta » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:10 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:Kelly Olynyk's W/L splits:

Bradley and Green even score more during losses on average. Turner and Sully's numbers are about the same either way.

KO's splits aren't particularly good considering 8/10 Ws came against below .500 teams while 10/14 Ls came against above .500 teams.

But, at least, his trade value is way up this season.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,190

Post#155 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:49 am

Murta wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Kelly Olynyk's W/L splits:

KO's splits aren't particularly good considering 8/10 Ws came against below .500 teams while 10/14 Ls came against above .500 teams.

But, at least, his trade value is way up this season.

The whole team's 8/10 wins came against below .500 teams.
His W/L splits top the team. I'm merely suggesting his aggressive play on offense and the resulting numbers have benefited the team more than it's hurt them (well, depending on where people stand on tanking the season).
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#156 » by cloverleaf » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:37 pm

It's amazing to me how much KO is still mocked and underestimated on Celtics boards. His skill set, particularly for a big, is obvious. He's a star emerging rather quickly for a big man--with just a year and a quarter of NBA play under his belt--and for posters prone to hyperbole that there is not more appreciation and hyperbole for his potential is to me...(um)...interesting.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#157 » by GregB » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:19 pm

cloverleaf wrote:It's amazing to me how much KO is still mocked and underestimated on Celtics boards. His skill set, particularly for a big, is obvious. He's a star emerging rather quickly for a big man--with just a year and a quarter of NBA play under his belt--and for posters prone to hyperbole that there is not more appreciation and hyperbole for his potential is to me...(um)...interesting.

KO isn't being mocked. It's the person who was banned and created a new username to bump his own thread who is being mocked.
palewhitesemite
Banned User

Post#158 » by palewhitesemite » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:42 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
Datruth345 wrote:DB Aussie & his banned alias NL41 is an obvious agenda troll, don't fall victim friends!

Is it possible to be a positive troll? Honest question. :lol:

The terms "positive" and "troll" are pretty much inseparable around here.

Why, you ask?

Because casual fans tend to be piss poor talent evaluators. Around these parts, any prospect on another team is necessarily better than any prospect on our team. Why?

An embarrassing combination of stupidity and arrogance.

T-Rex eats little rat-lizards like this for breakfast.
palewhitesemite
Banned User

Post#159 » by palewhitesemite » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:50 pm

T-Rex be like, "WTF?"

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdiFpzyhdqE[/youtube]

A heavy weight of suck has been lifted from this team.
jordb2k7
Pro Prospect
And1: 886

Post#160 » by jordb2k7 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:13 pm

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
palewhitesemite wrote:

This is a shocking turn of events

I wonder what parts of this he disagrees with :lol:

Return to Boston Celtics