ImageImageImage

Which Center is Ainge eyeing ?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Re: Which Center is Ainge eyeing ? 

Post#241 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Wes-J wrote:I wish people would stop floating around the idea of getting Hibbert.

We're supposed to be building a winner here i thought.

That's hardly a valid criticism of Hibbert - his Indy teams have averaged a 50+ game pace the last 3 years, making it to the ECFs twice and the 2nd round once. They've also had the top ranked D 2 years running.

That's a better track record than we've had over the same time span - ECF in 2012, followed by first round bounce in 2013 and bottom 5 in 2014.
bbd24
Starter
And1: 954

Post#242 » by bbd24 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:30 pm

LobCityRondo2KG wrote:Just cant see us giving up two firsts for Monroe

Could also be Bass + 1 first. Tough to know. Probably better to wait on Monroe considering his situation. Take a peek at him in the offseason, depending on who you draft, etc.
bbd24
Starter

Post#243 » by bbd24 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Wes-J wrote:I wish people would stop floating around the idea of getting Hibbert.

That's hardly a valid criticism of Hibbert - his Indy teams have averaged a 50+ game pace the last 3 years, making it to the ECFs twice and the 2nd round once. They've also had the top ranked D 2 years running.

That's a better track record than we've had over the same time span - ECF in 2012, followed by first round bounce in 2013 and bottom 5 in 2014.

Exactly. Also, he's a better true Center than anything we've had on the roster since Perk. Not sure why any Celtic fan wouldn't want to pair him up with the current makeup of the team. Who knows what your win percentage would be, but I'm betting it would be higher with him manning the middle. Isn't that what you strive for in a trade ? Better your team and get more wins in the process.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#244 » by BleedGreen1989 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:43 pm

bbd24 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Exactly. Also, he's a better true Center than anything we've had on the roster since Perk. Not sure why any Celtic fan wouldn't want to pair him up with the current makeup of the team. Who knows what your win percentage would be, but I'm betting it would be higher with him manning the middle. Isn't that what you strive for in a trade ? Better your team and get more wins in the process.[/quote]

Meh, sadly with the tanking hysteria, that all depends on who you ask around here...
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#245 » by Tenbomber » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:45 pm

BleedGreen1989 wrote:
bbd24 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Exactly. Also, he's a better true Center than anything we've had on the roster since Perk. Not sure why any Celtic fan wouldn't want to pair him up with the current makeup of the team. Who knows what your win percentage would be, but I'm betting it would be higher with him manning the middle. Isn't that what you strive for in a trade ? Better your team and get more wins in the process.[/quote]

Meh, sadly with the tanking hysteria, that all depends on who you ask around here...

So true....
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#246 » by Wes-J » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:17 am

bbd24 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Exactly. Also, he's a better true Center than anything we've had on the roster since Perk. Not sure why any Celtic fan wouldn't want to pair him up with the current makeup of the team. Who knows what your win percentage would be, but I'm betting it would be higher with him manning the middle. Isn't that what you strive for in a trade ? Better your team and get more wins in the process.

As much as people complain about Jeff Green's maddening inconsistency, which is a valid criticism, why on earth do you want to take on Roy Hibbert of all people???

Yeah, I love the IDEA of him but he's just not a guy to count on when the chips are down. Pass.
bbd24
Starter

Post#247 » by bbd24 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:00 am

Wes-J wrote:
bbd24 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

As much as people complain about Jeff Green's maddening inconsistency, which is a valid criticism, why on earth do you want to take on Roy Hibbert of all people???

Yeah, I love the IDEA of him but he's just not a guy to count on when the chips are down. Pass.

Different place, coach, & system here. He fits. Perfect situation for him. Change of scenery.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#248 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 am

Slartibartfast wrote:If Brooklyn is still looking like trash around the trade deadline I wonder if we could get KG for Bass, Turner and a Philly 2nd.

Boston loves him, he loves Boston. He's still a great defensive rebounder and a legit 7-ft defender in limited minutes. He expires at the end of the season. With him on board, we'd be a playoff team and a pesky out for one of Chicago, Toronto or Cleveland. Our FA profile would be elevated, and our young guys would get a chance to develop in a playoff environment.

Danny should do that, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nets do it, I don't see them making the playoffs, they look horrible.... Would be great to have KG back, both cause I love him and cause he's still useful.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#249 » by brackdan70 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:51 pm

Boston34Bg wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:If Brooklyn is still looking like trash around the trade deadline I wonder if we could get KG for Bass, Turner and a Philly 2nd.

Boston loves him, he loves Boston. He's still a great defensive rebounder and a legit 7-ft defender in limited minutes. He expires at the end of the season. With him on board, we'd be a playoff team and a pesky out for one of Chicago, Toronto or Cleveland. Our FA profile would be elevated, and our young guys would get a chance to develop in a playoff environment.

Danny should do that, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nets do it, I don't see them making the playoffs, they look horrible.... Would be great to have KG back, both cause I love him and cause he's still useful.

taking the emotion out of it...it makes very little sense unless the Cs are gearing up for a playoff run. Does not seem likely right now....but who knows ...maybe at the deadline.
Sign here
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,313

Post#250 » by Red2 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:29 pm

alex len from phoenix has nice length and looks like he could develop into a really nice players in a year or two. there arent a lot of homegrown big men so danny may have to look at a big euro if there's one available. obviously the kid from duke is intriguing if we get lucky enough in the draft. we have no shot at cousins,gasol,etc so why are we even talking about them? We need a big shooting guard as well so if bass could fetch us a shooting guard I'd do it.
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
bbd24
Starter

Post#251 » by bbd24 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Red2 wrote:alex len from phoenix has nice length and looks like he could develop into a really nice players in a year or two. there arent a lot of homegrown big men so danny may have to look at a big euro if there's one available. obviously the kid from duke is intriguing if we get lucky enough in the draft. we have no shot at cousins,gasol,etc so why are we even talking about them? We need a big shooting guard as well so if bass could fetch us a shooting guard I'd do it.

Wouldn't Len be in the Gasol/Jordan category as well ? Pretty tough to get Len I'd imagine.

Jefferson
Horford
Pekovic
Lopez
Asik
Hibbert

Most realistic list ?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#252 » by brackdan70 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:22 pm

How available is or will be Bismack Biyombo?. getting very little PT for Charlotte. will be an RFA next summer. I have always really liked this guy. I know he is limited on offense, but has such tremendous potential. I think right now he could be a game changer on D if he just got 25 minutes a game. Why no PT in Charlotte. am i missing something about his game that makes him a liability? are they keeping his value down so they can afford to sign him? it just seems weird that he is not getting more PT.
anyway...is he somebody the Cs should target? (I think so) what kind of contract will he demand? ( I was thinking a 4 year 32 - 36 million range would do it)...would Charlotte match that?
Sign here
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,482

Post#253 » by 165bows » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:12 pm

I'm pretty much sold on this team trying to land Hibbert in FA this summer.

If that strikes out an interesting option with a little patience could be Noah. He's got a year and a half left on his deal and has had an on again off again relationship with their front office. He also had some quotes in the paper before the last game about Boston having great fans and being a great place to play. He's getting older and has played a lot of minutes, but he can play D and pass which is two things that would fit the system here, and he could play with either Sully or KO IMO.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#254 » by humblebum » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Biyombo can't really play basketball. Great athlete though. He's a 3rd string C who could possibly develop into a 2nd stringer. Don't think he's anything more than a Joel Anthony type and he might never reach prime Joel level, LMAO.

I don't want to touch the available center thing. The team needs to play Zeller more... Then go center in the draft next season. Maybe take a look at Robin Lopez as an FA.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#255 » by humblebum » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Not sure I'm buying on Hibbert. It's interesting because he's a fit and you have Jeff. But I don't exactly love the idea of committing to Rondo-Jeff-Roy as a core.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#256 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:00 pm

I don't know what the hell is going on with Charlotte, but FWIW someone on their board posted that Sully/Green for Al would be a great trade for them, but they're not sure if Jefferson would re-sign in Boston.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#257 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:01 pm

I'd try to get Jefferson for less, or get a different mix of players- like Green/Bass for MKG/Zeller/Henderson.. But it's interesting that they want to shake things up and Al is currently persona non grata..
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,067

Post#258 » by Ed Pinkney » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Perhaps McRoberts did a lot more for that team than they realised. Perhaps Stephenson truly is cancer material and is killing chemistry. Perhaps their coach is not that good.

I still have a pretty big soft spot for Jefferson but pairing him with Olynyk is most certainly not solving the teams issues at centre with regards to defense and rim protection.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#259 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:44 am

Their defense is non-elite with Kidd-Gilchrist out, and they have no shooters. MKG returning might be enough..

I think Ainge would give up a 1st to rent Al and consider re-signing him.. But since everyone wants rim protectors and stretch bigs, it's hard to imagine much interest. Maybe a good time to buy low on a 20-10 big?

I could see Toronto trading Ross and expirings for him...
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#260 » by Slartibartfast » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:03 pm

humblebum wrote:Not sure I'm buying on Hibbert. It's interesting because he's a fit and you have Jeff. But I don't exactly love the idea of committing to Rondo-Jeff-Roy as a core.

It wouldn't work with them as a "Big 3" - it would have to be more of a 5 man team like 2004 Detroit - or as a pretty big 4 like the C's near title team in 2010.

The key would be retaining enough assets (or getting enough internal development from a Sully or Smart) to upgrade the other 2 starting positions into above-average or star level contributors.

Say Sully firmly established his 3-point game and became an all-star level contributor, a 20/10 guy. Then you move Smart or whatever assets have the most value (this year's pick, the Brooklyn picks...) plus AB (or Green if AB improves) to get a big time offensive upgrade at the wing.

Return to Boston Celtics