ImageImageImage

NBA 2015 Draft Discussion Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,930

NBA 2015 Draft Discussion Thread 

Post#1 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 2:25 pm

I think we should use this thread to discuss this year's class. This is not a tanking thread.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Re: NBA 2015 Draft Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by KGboss » Thu Nov 6, 2014 2:31 pm

Well Coach K said hes fairly certain okafor will declair.

Hes our missing piece.
CelticsPride18
General Manager

Post#3 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 2:40 pm

KGboss wrote:Well Coach K said hes fairly certain okafor will declair.

Hes our missing piece.

Yeah but I doubt we get him he's going to be top 3 and I think our team will be between 6-14. Kelly Oubre is a prospect I like athletic wing that can shoot and drive. Also Stanley Johnson seems like a good prospect good defensive player with a solid offensive game.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#4 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Nov 6, 2014 2:47 pm

Any center. Just find a center. Okafor, Towns, Cauley-Stein, Turner - any of them would be a huge addition.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#5 » by 165bows » Thu Nov 6, 2014 3:01 pm

You know I'm always down for a draft thread. Draft Express twitter account has had updates of Mudiay's progress in the Chinese League. Sounds like a mixed bag so far. Gotta admit I'm not that high on him, really.

Guys I want to see as the season starts: Towns, Turner, Oubre, Stanley Johnson, Kevon Looney and the Duke guys (Jones, Okafor, Winslow).
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#6 » by ddb » Thu Nov 6, 2014 3:17 pm

Okafor and Towns are the real deal. I think 1 of both of those guys ends up having more of an impact in the NBA then the top of the 2014 class.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#7 » by 2Mas » Thu Nov 6, 2014 3:20 pm

Well obviously we'd look for a big.

My order --

1- Okarfor (out of reach he'll go 1)
2- Towns (my #1 but I think he goes 2 overall)
3- Dakari Johnson -- think he has massive potential
4- Myles Turner

_ Think WCS is a backup at best on an NBA roster. Ik he made improvements, but Dakari Johnson is what 3 years younger & was better already than him last year.

_ Also idk much of Cliff Alexander at all. Just some highlights & stuff. He's like a pf though, so I'd pass.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#8 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Nov 6, 2014 3:26 pm

Okafur and Towns Jr is certainly the main price. Cauley-Stein is a good consolation prize.

could even pick up Zhou Qi with the Clippers pick.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by 165bows » Thu Nov 6, 2014 3:36 pm

Also the international guys have started playing already - Porzingis, Hezonja, etc.

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Kri ... Logs/32861
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Mar ... l/2015/All
KJandHondo35
Sixth Man
And1: 1,259

Post#10 » by KJandHondo35 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 4:10 pm

I have said it before, but you watch Okafor and he has a legit BOOGIE vibe to his game. Awesome hands, soft touch, great in close quarters near the rim, has the size to protect the rim, but doesn't have the anger (something BOOGIE has made an effort to quell this season). Karl on the other hand reminds me of a Horford type 5 that is actually 7’ tall with a great looking shot. It’s gonna be an interesting comparison because Okafor is that old school, pound down low big while Towns is more stretch 5 with legit size, quite the athlete as well but his post moves are not as developed as Okafor.
[EDIT] Should also point out Okafor has been a Team USA guy since 2011.

I have been a big fan of Montrezl (aka MONSTATREZZ) and it’s going to be a big season for him to show he is more versatile offensively than breaking backboards on tremendous dunks (true story, he broke multiple this offseason). Supposedly has been developing a midrange game which I think could bump him up to that top 10 range if it’s a real weapon this coming season. He has crazy motor, great defender, and could be a Faried like PF with legit size and length (and played with Smart at Team USA).

Stanley looks LEGIT. I watched the mini-doc on his whole HS career a while ago and was hooked since. The kid wins. Simple as that. The criticisms on his game fueled him to work relentlessly on it (his 3 point shot) to the point it’s pretty reliable. He has PG skills and great vison in a 6’7” frame that is strong and developed. Hasn’t gotten play as a defender, that’s usually more talked about for say Oubre and Justice but he is pretty solid. He’s athletic and strong and competes on both ends, reason why he’s won at every level and every team he’s played for. Also a team USA player for the last 3 seasons.

Winslow and Oubre also have the tools to be impact wings. Winslow was a big part of Team USA and is probably the best wing defender right now. Oubre is FAST and long and should be fun watching him with Selden who I’m pretty big on. Selden is gonna get some play at PG which should be great, kid has awesome vision, and is a stout 6’5” that can get up. Shot will be the thing to watch this year as it was inconsistent last season (tho, he didn’t get many touches behind Wiggins and co.)
WCS to me is ehh. Like he definitely could be an impact defender almost immediately but his offense is ROUGH. And I’m really not sure where the minutes go for that team between Towns, Lee, Dakari, WCS… Gonna be interesting for sure.

I was really excited about Chris “Sky” Walker’s potential this season, and then he goes and gets suspended a game or 2 for violating team rules (think I read for testing positive for weed). I mean, it’s college and I could care less about it, just a poor start for someone who needs to get on the court.

And then there’s Myles Turner… Physically, really impressive big, 6’10” w/o shoes, 7’4” wingspan. But he’s also a solid shooter all the way to 3 point range, and a few post moves, with high IQ on both ends. He has all the tools to fit great in Stevens movement system, the question being his athleticism and he’s like a jack of all trades and master of none. Really interested to see how he fairs at Texas.
CelticsPride18
General Manager

Post#11 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 6:19 pm

Another interesting prospect is RJ Hunter.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#12 » by 24istheLAW » Thu Nov 6, 2014 9:34 pm

At this rather early stage in the game I'm more interested in discussing draft philosophy than specific players.

For example, consider the following approaches:
1. Draft and develop your all-NBA talents, fill out your supporting cast in free agency or with low picks
2. Draft and develop a supporting cast, get your all-NBA types in free agency/via trade
3. Somewhere in between

So far, it appears as if Danny and co. see #2 as the smartest way to go (and I can't blame them at all).

So given a push between a guy with more "alpha dog potential" (Mudiay?) and a guy who will never be that, but can better complement your otherwise imported alpha dogs plus Rondo (WCS?) I think we'd go with the latter.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by 165bows » Thu Nov 6, 2014 9:48 pm

24istheLAW wrote:At this rather early stage in the game I'm more interested in discussing draft philosophy than specific players.

For example, consider the following approaches:
1. Draft and develop your all-NBA talents, fill out your supporting cast in free agency or with low picks
2. Draft and develop a supporting cast, get your all-NBA types in free agency/via trade
3. Somewhere in between

So far, it appears as if Danny and co. see #2 as the smartest way to go (and I can't blame them at all).

So given a push between a guy with more "alpha dog potential" (Mudiay?) and a guy who will never be that, but can better complement your otherwise imported alpha dogs plus Rondo (WCS?) I think we'd go with the latter.

I think it's a great question. Definitely KO over Giannis would fit that description.

I think the other half of that discussion is mentality as well. I don't think it's a coincidence they ended up with Smart with his attitude and mind-set. Tough-minded, strong and capable defenders has been a staple for these guys.
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#14 » by Avalanche » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:02 pm

Towns is the guy I would absolutely love to get, just a freak physically but also has a nice jumper and could really be developed into anything under the right guidance.. Okafor is obviously a prize too

I have a feeling it's going to be WCS in the 8-14 range for us, which wouldn't be the worst if he makes some strides in his game
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by 165bows » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:08 pm

Let's not discount the slim possibility that they land the 14th pick from LAC. Obviously there is an eternity to go but they are currently in that spot right now. I know it sounds ridiculous but there are ten legit playoff contenders in the West if Sacramento can keep it up, and it will be highly competitive. Sacramento's already beaten the Clips in LA.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by 165bows » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:30 pm

Not any commentary on Rondo but I think Tyus Jones really may have a solid handle on what they want guards to do offensively. Handles, passes, penetrates and passes, pushes the tempo, pick and roll, etc.

Looking forward to watching him more but I think he is a really good fit on this team (besides the glut in PGs).
Murta
Sixth Man
And1: 1,823

Post#17 » by Murta » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:45 pm

If Cs continue to lose games, I'd be ecstatic if they got Okafor. My impression of him is that he could be strong (body strength wise) Al Jeff. He should be a very useful rim protector, maybe not in Marc Gasol or A. Davis caliber, but not that far off. A bit relying too much on power on O, but also showing a lot of potential for implementing good moves to his game.

Honestly, I don't know much about other freshman.

LaVert is an interesting player in 8-15 range. He seems to be maturing at very high pace to be key player for Michigan. But after Thomas Robinson we should be wary of older athletic players who got it only in their 3rd season.

And I definitely see a lot of Olynyk type of NBA player in Kaminsky. Not an option for us if Danny keeps Sully and KO, but just saying.

As for Hezonja, it's a bad combo of him and his coach. Both have questionable attitude. I don't even want to try to watch Barca any more. Just waiting for this season to end and him to go to NBA.

165bows wrote:Let's not discount the slim possibility that they land the 14th pick from LAC. Obviously there is an eternity to go but they are currently in that spot right now. I know it sounds ridiculous but there are ten legit playoff contenders in the West if Sacramento can keep it up, and it will be highly competitive. Sacramento's already beaten the Clips in LA.

It's very hard to imagine that unless sth very bad happens. Griffin looks like a legit MVP caliber player, CP3 is still great, Jordan in contract year and getting better, strong bench.
I don't see it being higher than 24th pick and it's still a stretch.
username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,412

Post#18 » by username_taken » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:55 pm

Get one of the best big men or a quality SF if Towns, Okafor, Turner, etc. aren't available
CelticsPride18
General Manager

Post#19 » by CelticsPride18 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 12:23 am

Murta wrote:If Cs continue to lose games, I'd be ecstatic if they got Okafor. My impression of him is that he could be strong (body strength wise) Al Jeff. He should be a very useful rim protector, maybe not in Marc Gasol or A. Davis caliber, but not that far off. A bit relying too much on power on O, but also showing a lot of potential for implementing good moves to his game.

Honestly, I don't know much about other freshman.

LaVert is an interesting player in 8-15 range. He seems to be maturing at very high pace to be key player for Michigan. But after Thomas Robinson we should be wary of older athletic players who got it only in their 3rd season.

And I definitely see a lot of Olynyk type of NBA player in Kaminsky. Not an option for us if Danny keeps Sully and KO, but just saying.

As for Hezonja, it's a bad combo of him and his coach. Both have questionable attitude. I don't even want to try to watch Barca any more. Just waiting for this season to end and him to go to NBA.

165bows wrote:Let's not discount the slim possibility that they land the 14th pick from LAC. Obviously there is an eternity to go but they are currently in that spot right now. I know it sounds ridiculous but there are ten legit playoff contenders in the West if Sacramento can keep it up, and it will be highly competitive. Sacramento's already beaten the Clips in LA.

It's very hard to imagine that unless sth very bad happens. Griffin looks like a legit MVP caliber player, CP3 is still great, Jordan in contract year and getting better, strong bench.
I don't see it being higher than 24th pick and it's still a stretch.

Do you think Hezonja can be a good 3 in the NBA?
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#20 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Nov 7, 2014 12:45 am

Hezonja can def play in the NBA. He has the same skills as Galanari, but is way more athletic - albeit he is shorter.

Hezonja also has a franchise player mentality, granted can be a cancer if his game can't back it up, but as of now he is a great prospect.

I love Karl Towns Jr, he kinda reminds me of underclassmen Tim Duncan. Guys don't need to be freak athletes when they have his measurements, he's quick and fluent enough that most centers won't be able to check him. We also need a rim protector, and I think Towns Jr is a better prospect in those regards than Okafur.

I'd probably take Towns Jr over any big in the draft as of now.

Return to Boston Celtics