ImageImageImage

Hassan Whiteside.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Re: Hassan Whiteside. 

Post#21 » by GreenBloodedC » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:22 am

Gant wrote:http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1235322

Nice one!
And as I backread, everyone seems to be on board!

OT, rant. The commissioner on my Fantasy league screwed me. I was supposed to get this guy, then the waiver order suddenly changed and he just came in and swooped him.
DoubleHappiness
Analyst
And1: 3,248

Post#22 » by DoubleHappiness » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:15 am

GreenBloodedC wrote:

Nice one!

OT, rant. The commissioner on my Fantasy league screwed me. I was supposed to get this guy, then the waiver order suddenly changed and he just came in and swooped him.

That is a serious fantasy offense. That guy should be given the boot if allegations are true.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#23 » by Roddy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:41 pm

Sorry but I am not convinced. That reminds to me the "Linsanity" thing.

It's nice to see this young guy playing like a real big man, but I hope he will do it for a long time...not just for 5 months.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#24 » by threrf23 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:30 pm

The guy had averaged 6 blocks per game during conference play, in his one year of college. He may be a contract-wanting wonder like Mark Blount or he may have been a good prospect all along who fell victim to impatience.

The goal should be to find the next Hassan Whiteside, IMO. Off the top of my head, Tyler Honeycutt could fit the bill. Or Quincy Miller especially, if he doesn't stick with the Kings. He was once a top prospect set back by a knee injury, and din't turn 22 until this past November, partially a victim to a SF/PF logjam in Denver. Also, maybe Lucas Nogueria, if he becomes easily available.

An aside, Josh Powell seems to be giving the Mavs some quality minutes of late.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#25 » by truth18 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:59 pm

GreenBloodedC wrote:

Nice one!

That blows, man. Was super busy back home in Boston this weekend. Figured he would be gone when I got back, but I picked him up this morning. Pumped! Even did a fist bump to myself lol.
YOU LOSE
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#26 » by sully00 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:02 pm

Roddy wrote:Sorry but I am not convinced. That reminds to me the "Linsanity" thing.

It's nice to see this young guy playing like a real big man, but I hope he will do it for a long time...not just for 5 months.

I was listening to CBS radio this weekend and they had an interesting breakdown on Whiteside. This is a guy who was projected to be a lottery pick going into the 2010 draft, more likely a lottery pick in 2011 but he decided to declare and he was a total a-hole through the process. So similar to DeAndre Jordan he slid into the second round. Now unlike Jordan who got to work on his game Whiteside continued to act like a spoiled, uncoachable DB even though he was a second round pick and not a lottery diva. Now he has since gotten himself in shape and dedicated himself more and he has some fantastic physical tools but one thing with him is that the surly attitude has not disappeared.

My line of thinking on this is it will be an asset for him as he gets older maybe a redux of Charles Oakley or will cause him to constantly wear out his welcome in the locker room. Little chance that he is available this off season but seems like a guy who would benefit from a veteran locker room.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#27 » by rickrolled » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:58 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYU_SIh8IXo[/youtube]

chinese league highlights
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#28 » by return2glory » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:05 pm

He just had another huge game against the Mavs. 16 points, 24 rebounds in only 28 minutes.

I have to repeat that, 24 rebounds in 28 minutes! That's impressive.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#29 » by rickrolled » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:00 pm

return2glory wrote:He just had another huge game against the Mavs. 16 points, 24 rebounds in only 28 minutes.

It's annoying that this dude didn't bloom until he reached 25 years of age. Not only did teams miss out on a potential rim protector, rebounding machine. I think he also missed out on multi million dollar contract/s.
He only made under 1.5 million in SAC in 2 seasons. And when his 2 year contract with the Heat ends, he would've made roughly 3 million at the age of 27! And less than that after taxes, good for him he plays in FL.
GreenMachine
Head Coach
And1: 998

Post#30 » by GreenMachine » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:23 pm

rickrolled wrote:
return2glory wrote:He just had another huge game against the Mavs. 16 points, 24 rebounds in only 28 minutes.

It's annoying that this dude didn't bloom until he reached 25 years of age. Not only did teams miss out on a potential rim protector, rebounding machine. I think he also missed out on multi million dollar contract/s.
He only made under 1.5 million in SAC in 2 seasons. And when his 2 year contract with the Heat ends, he would've made roughly 3 million at the age of 27! And less than that after taxes, good for him he plays in FL.

Why are you annoyed by that? If anything it should be a cautionary lesson to impatient posters on this board who write guys like Sully and Kelly off at age 22.

And as far as the money... he gets what he deserves. He was a punk and out of shape coming into the league. So he ONLY makes a couple million. If he can keep this up, or anything close... he will be rewarded for getting his act together and make 100 Million dollars plus on his next contract. Poor guy...
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#31 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:45 pm

GreenMachine wrote:
rickrolled wrote:

Why are you annoyed by that? If anything it should be a cautionary lesson to impatient posters on this board who write guys like Sully and Kelly off at age 22.

And as far as the money... he gets what he deserves. He was a punk and out of shape coming into the league. So he ONLY makes a couple million. If he can keep this up, or anything close... he will be rewarded for getting his act together and make 100 Million dollars plus on his next contract. Poor guy...

Whiteside is the rarest of exceptions, not a lesson to be applied on a mass scale.

Best story in the NBA that no one cares about.

Can't help but be green with envy knowing the Heat got him.

That said, Heat went to the finals 3 years in a row desperately missing a rim protector and someone who could gobble up all the rebounds while on offense be Brandon Wright... and now perhaps the best in the league falls into their lap. If LeBron had stayed and they had whiteside with Bosh and Wade. Well... they wouldn't have any weaknesses at all. Hilarious.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#32 » by gocelts » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:48 pm

Great example of how talent and environment (and some hard work) breeds more talent....kudos to Riley, Spolstra, and of course the player for their success.

There is no freakin way Whiteside would have put up those kind of numbers with our current team so people need to stop getting down on Ainge.

Reminds me of putting Bradley with Pierce,KG, & Rondo with Ray right behind him and he's great. Now next to Turner and Crowder he stinks. We need some serious Allstar talent on this team or we'll never develop players as fast as our fans want.
~gocelts
GreenMachine
Head Coach
And1: 998

Post#33 » by GreenMachine » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:49 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:
rickrolled wrote:It's annoying that this dude didn't bloom until he reached 25 years of age. Not only did teams miss out on a potential rim protector, rebounding machine. I think he also missed out on multi million dollar contract/s.

Whiteside is the rarest of exceptions, not a lesson to be applied on a mass scale.

Best story in the NBA that no one cares about.

Well sure, Whiteside is an outlier... but the truth is MOST Big-men don't hit their stride until about 25. It takes them longer to grow into their bodies.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#34 » by return2glory » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:34 pm

I'm happy for the guy. It's a great story.

Great pick up for Riley and the Heat.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#35 » by 2Mas » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:44 pm

Roddy wrote:Sorry but I am not convinced. That reminds to me the "Linsanity" thing.

You convinced yet? HIs #'s are better than Linsanity & his #'s everywhere else have been on par to what a big man dominating should be.

Heat got damn steal. He went from minimum contract to potential max player. He messed up by signing that 2 year deal. Miami found a gem!
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#36 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Feb 1, 2015 2:48 am

I did get him in fantasy. Nice pick up. Those 24rbs assured me a win this week.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#37 » by 165bows » Sun Feb 1, 2015 3:34 am

GreenMachine wrote:
Gant wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:
Big props Gant!

Got anybody new on your D-league radar?

I hear Dawkins and Young look pretty good for Maine.

I'm willing to bet my life neither of them ever put up 12 blocks in a game.

Pretty sure Fab Melo had double digit blocks more than once in the D-League.
aim2please
Starter
And1: 3,255

Post#38 » by aim2please » Sun Feb 1, 2015 10:50 am

Great find by the Heat. He is a fantastic value for them this and next season.

However, if I were them I would sell high around the draft and see if I could get late lottery/mid round pick from a team like Suns/Bucks/Kings...

It's awesome to have a a guy like him on a minimum deal but giving him long term money is a scary proposition. Guy was cut from Lebanon just 6 months ago because of poor effort/bad play. Month of good play and we should forget about his attitude?

Man, he is a good bet to go Sanders on a team when he gets 40M for 4 years. I want guys like him to play for his contract every year, just to be sure he will give 100% each and every day :nod:
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#39 » by drza » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:26 am

sully00 wrote:

I was listening to CBS radio this weekend and they had an interesting breakdown on Whiteside. This is a guy who was projected to be a lottery pick going into the 2010 draft, more likely a lottery pick in 2011 but he decided to declare and he was a total a-hole through the process. So similar to DeAndre Jordan he slid into the second round. Now unlike Jordan who got to work on his game Whiteside continued to act like a spoiled, uncoachable DB even though he was a second round pick and not a lottery diva. Now he has since gotten himself in shape and dedicated himself more and he has some fantastic physical tools but one thing with him is that the surly attitude has not disappeared.

My line of thinking on this is it will be an asset for him as he gets older maybe a redux of Charles Oakley or will cause him to constantly wear out his welcome in the locker room. Little chance that he is available this off season but seems like a guy who would benefit from a veteran locker room.

Yeah, we had Shams Charania from RealGM on Celtics Beat this week, and he gave a similar story about why Whiteside didn't pan out initially. Said that it was all his attitude, and that teams remained leery about him for a long time because of how bad of an impression he made out of the draft. He pointed out an example of Whiteside still making comments this season, and how that isn't serving him well right now. On the other hand, as long as he keeps alternating between double-digit blocks and 20 rebound games I think teams will start looking past the attitude.

Charania interview here: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/9/b/c/9bca962 ... d4f01a9c6d . Whiteside talk about 25 minutes in
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#40 » by LongTimeFan » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:44 pm

The kid has a 9' 5" standing reach. And he was drafted very early in the second round. These Philly picks are valuable for this kind of gamble.

Return to Boston Celtics