ImageImageImage

McGee NOT to Boston

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Re: McGee NOT to Boston 

Post#241 » by 2Mas » Thu Mar 5, 2015 9:46 pm

Danny Ainge needs one of these

Just give him a player option dude. He's not even guaranteed to take it. If he kills it next 2 months, he's gonna opt out anyways for more money? So give him it. If he gets hurt or sucks, he's an eatable/tradable expiring deal. Lol Damn Danny. So damn stubborn sometimes.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#242 » by Bohemian » Thu Mar 5, 2015 9:52 pm

2Mas wrote:Danny Ainge needs one of these

Just give him a player option dude. He's not even guaranteed to take it. If he kills it next 2 months, he's gonna opt out anyways for more money? So give him it. If he gets hurt or sucks, he's an eatable/tradable expiring deal. Lol Damn Danny. So damn stubborn sometimes.

Agreed 100%
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#243 » by sully00 » Thu Mar 5, 2015 9:53 pm

Because Ainge doesn't care about this year. He is building for next year. The most disturbing thing in all of this is that McGee is already paid for next year he can't make any money unless someone signs him to more than 12 million bucks. Obviously he could get a multi year deal but why not just focus on putting in work for a year and then going back into FA. When you have a reputation of being a dumb player and on the first day you do something dumb then...
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#244 » by cl2117 » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:01 pm

People are upset that Ainge let McGee's deal fall through because McGee wanted to be able to take 20-30 mins a game to up his value and bail? McGee isn't good enough to warrant a player option.

McGee isn't that good. There's no guarantee that he would get any better under Stevens. Why take minutes away from guys on this roster that are playing incredibly hard in favor of this bonehead? Why guarantee him a roster spot and paycheck next year when he has spent 6 years in the league shaqtin a fool and not living up to his potential?

Danny was happy to take on McGee on his own terms, he won't and shouldn't let a guy of JaVale's talent dictate the terms. That's the way he should play it, I'm happy that's the way he did play it.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Post#245 » by DK-All Day » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:01 pm

Damn. I thought for once that we'll have a rim protector and this happens. McGee is no position to demand a player option for next year with his bone-headed tactics. If he gets a player option for next year, congrats. I'm glad he's not getting it here.
Handsome.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#246 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:03 pm

2Mas wrote:Just give him a player option dude. He's not even guaranteed to take it. If he kills it next 2 months, he's gonna opt out anyways for more money? So give him it. If he gets hurt or sucks, he's an eatable/tradable expiring deal. Lol Damn Danny. So damn stubborn sometimes.

If I were in Ainge's shoes, I would have done the same thing, and here's why:

If the Celtics got their wish and got the team option:

Scenario 1 - Javale sucks, and is every bit as dumb as we all thought he was. Outcome - Celtics don't exercise that team option, he walks.
Scenario 2 - Javale does great at what he does - protecting the rim, and providing an athletic interior for the Celtics. Outcome - Celtics exercise that team option, and he's in green for 2015-16. And if he plays well during all of next season, then maybe the Celtics see enough to warrant a large contract extension for a 28 year old center.

If the Celtics caved and gave Javale the player option:
Scenario 1 - Javale sucks, and is every bit as dumb as we all thought he was. Outcome - Javale sticks around and collects his $2 million.
Scenario 2 - Javale does great at what he does - protecting the rim, and providing an athletic interior for the Celtics. Outcome - he opts out and hits free agency. Does Danny pay him big money for a great 2 months of performance? What if he's another Mark Blount, who will just mail it in the second he gets his big contract? And what happens if another team comes knocking and offers him more than what Danny's willing to pay?

There's no way the Celtics would have won if they gave the player option. I just don't think you can trust McGee enough to give him that large contract after only playing in Boston for 2 months.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,505

Post#247 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:07 pm

If they'd pushed for a guaranteed deal through next year that probably would have worked out, as it makes sense for McGee to want a bit more of a commitment for us. As for the player option, that just makes no sense at all. No team is going to invest minutes in him with no upside. If he plays well he bounces, and if he doesn't we're stuck with him.

At this point his only option is to sign with a playoff team and hope he can somehow earn enough minutes to rehab his value. Stupid move by BJ.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach

Post#248 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:08 pm

dbl post.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,025

Post#249 » by Bad-Thoma » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:08 pm

Wait, what? Fine McGee, I didn't like you anyways (now that you don't want to be here).
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#250 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:09 pm

sully00 wrote:

Because Ainge doesn't care about this year. He is building for next year. The most disturbing thing in all of this is that McGee is already paid for next year he can't make any money unless someone signs him to more than 12 million bucks. Obviously he could get a multi year deal but why not just focus on putting in work for a year and then going back into FA. When you have a reputation of being a dumb player and on the first day you do something dumb then...

In his shoes, I would want the multi-year deal after this season if I could get something I was fairly satisfied with and I certainly wouldn't want the Celtics holding an option on my services. Boston could be bringing in a better starting center then McGee next year.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach

Post#251 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:09 pm

oops
Pat Riley
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#252 » by Marvel » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:18 pm

Ainge must be one stubborn sob. Let him have the player option. He addressess one of our biggest weaknesses even if it's only for a playoff run. It's not like we're getting DeAndre Jordan here. It's McGee. To kill a deal because of a player option is just stupid especially if the other intersted teams will most likely do so.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#253 » by rickrolled » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:20 pm

sully00 wrote:Because Ainge doesn't care about this year. He is building for next year. The most disturbing thing in all of this is that McGee is already paid for next year he can't make any money unless someone signs him to more than 12 million bucks. Obviously he could get a multi year deal but why not just focus on putting in work for a year and then going back into FA. When you have a reputation of being a dumb player and on the first day you do something dumb then...

And here's where i'm lost too, McGee had a great opportunity waiting for him in Boston.

1-Team option, he takes the x amount of money, plus the remaining of his 12 million from the Sixers

2-player option, Signs for 12,1 million with another team, making a 100k more than he is scheduled, for one year, not happening.

3-Signs a multi year deal starting at around 7-8 million per year, getting the remaining 4-5 million from the Sixers, but why would any team give the Sixers that much salary relief ?

I'm absolutely lost here..
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#254 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:20 pm

Dude needs to fire his agent and come to Boston.. Honestly, Mcgee can't play one month of basketball and expect a big contract anyway, he's got to bring it for a whole season to get paid again. They probably hope Boston will panic and overpay to keep him this summer if he looks good. But honestly, you just got bought out by the worst team in the league for sucking, you've got a lot to prove, now is not the time to play me-first.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#255 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:22 pm

Who's his agent, Arn Tellem or BJ Armstrong? Both have been named in this thread.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,878

Post#256 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:23 pm

People are not getting it. Ainge doesn't want McGee for 25 games he wants him for next year also. Ainge is trying to build something. He is not going to give McGee a chance to pad his stats and then leave. No next year, no deal.

Having McGee for just 25 games so he can play selfishly and pad his stats for free agency next year is the Celtics worst nightmare.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#257 » by SichtingLives » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:25 pm

It is refreshing to see this forum tricked into finally admitting how crucial of a need this role is after downplaying and denying it for two years :)
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#258 » by 15th overall » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:26 pm

andy582 wrote:Who's his agent, Arn Tellem or BJ Armstrong? Both have been named in this thread.

It's BJ.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#259 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:30 pm

BJ Armstrong is an agent? How many clients does he have? Fire him, Javale.. Can someone tweet at him? Get a new agent and come to Boston
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#260 » by DarkAzcura » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:32 pm

SichtingLives wrote:It is refreshing to see this forum tricked into finally admitting how crucial of a need this role is after downplaying and denying it for two years :)

Who has actually downplayed the need for a rim protecting center? Haha, I feel like people have been crying for one for two seasons. At least I have!

Return to Boston Celtics