ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart suspended 1 game

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Re: Marcus Smart suspended 1 game 

Post#61 » by GuyClinch » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Whatever anyone wants to label it as, his doing these weaksauce little bitch moves is completely out of tune with the idea of him being this mentally tough, high character, leader type of guy. Not to put too fine a point on it, but if he threw that Payton elbow in a pickup game, I would high-five whoever kicked his ass for it.

Heh. You might not like it - but Marcus hyper competitive character and those 'bitch moves' are part and parcel for NBA 'instigators' as Danny likes to put it. KG would frequently act like a jerk on the court. Pierce was somewhat famous for both the bandage incident and his harshing on Kedrick Brown and a host of other rookies. Cheap bitch moves are part of the NBA game - Dennis Rodman and Bill Laimbeer made careers out of that kinda stuff. Wade is dirty as hell it goes on and on.
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#62 » by Tenbomber » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:14 am

Next game, Wade ought to get one of those "excuse me, I want to get by" nudges to the nut sack for what he did to Isiah Thomas....too bad that Smart wasted that one on poor old Matt Bonner...you know?

If you are gonna do something that you might get suspended for, at least make it count for something....

Wade should have been the recipient, not Bonner.....not a "Smart move" !

I hope Wade gets his.....
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#63 » by Pacino62 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:03 am

Tenbomber wrote:Next game, Wade ought to get one of those "excuse me, I want to get by" nudges to the nut sack for what he did to Isiah Thomas....too bad that Smart wasted that one on poor old Matt Bonner...you know?

If you are gonna do something that you might get suspended for, at least make it count for something....

Wade should have been the recipient, not Bonner.....not a "Smart move" !

I hope Wade gets his.....

Haha...A D Wade nut shot and we would be saying what a fierce competitor and loyal teammate Smart is.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#64 » by sully00 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:53 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
FakeScreenName123 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Again, being a character guy wasn't KG's alleged best attribute..

We have different definitions of the word character, then. That's fine.

Captain_Caveman wrote:Other than his long arms, there is really nothing about him physically that sets him apart.

Really? You ever see a rookie guard of his frame come out and play D like he does? idk man. Think Marcus's physical attributes are huge for his success/definition of who he is as a player.

"Character" probably isn't the best word to use here. I like the kid and and not trying to say he is a bad human being or anything. Maybe what I am getting at is closer to mental toughness? That's not it exactly, either, but point being, the guy has gotten flustered easily in non-pressure situations and had these totally mentally weak reactions to... what, exactly?

Whatever anyone wants to label it as, his doing these weaksauce little bitch moves is completely out of tune with the idea of him being this mentally tough, high character, leader type of guy. Not to put too fine a point on it, but if he threw that Payton elbow in a pickup game, I would high-five whoever kicked his ass for it.

I just can't follow you on this Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Gary Payton are probably my 3 favorite players ever. I am all for Marcus Smart being too much like those guys. I am not saying he should be nut punching people but I am not freaking out about it either. I am not sure what your looking for here but Marcus Smart has some knife fighter in him. That is what Bird, Isiah, and Dr. J had to, hell Danny Ainge for that matter, you want some of that, a lot of it actually.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#65 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:12 am

sully00 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
FakeScreenName123 wrote:

We have different definitions of the word character, then. That's fine.

Really? You ever see a rookie guard of his frame come out and play D like he does? idk man. Think Marcus's physical attributes are huge for his success/definition of who he is as a player.

"Character" probably isn't the best word to use here. I like the kid and and not trying to say he is a bad human being or anything. Maybe what I am getting at is closer to mental toughness? That's not it exactly, either, but point being, the guy has gotten flustered easily in non-pressure situations and had these totally mentally weak reactions to... what, exactly?

I just can't follow you on this Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Gary Payton are probably my 3 favorite players ever. I am all for Marcus Smart being too much like those guys. I am not saying he should be nut punching people but I am not freaking out about it either. I am not sure what your looking for here but Marcus Smart has some knife fighter in him. That is what Bird, Isiah, and Dr. J had to, hell Danny Ainge for that matter, you want some of that, a lot of it actually.

For my money, there's a few shades of dirty play. Tough guy dirty (Oakley, Perkins), instigator dirty (KG, Rodman, Steven Adams) and bitch dirty (Wade, Laimbeer).

Smart's shot to Payton's face and his nut punch on Bonner were both bitch dirty. Hope it doesn't become a habit, because (a) it takes a guy down a peg IMO, and (b) he has Wade's frame but not his athleticism.
ryaningf
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,738

Post#66 » by ryaningf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
[snippy snipped]

If that's the only thing that ever happens with the guy, who cares?

But now there are a couple more incidents here of him completely losing his cool over nothing and reacting in ways that are completely inappropriate and borderline intent to injure. Bitch moves, to put it another way.

None of this is either here nor there except it may exhibit the beginning of a trend of bad character behavior from a guy whose alleged best attribute was character. It's enough at this point to make me question if he is more Artest than KG, and how he's going to react under pressure in big games when guys are trying to push his buttons.

I was ringing this bell bigtime this time last year in the draft thread. I didn't like Smart for a variety of reasons (not a PG, not ultra-athletic) but the biggest thing I didn't like was that he was a raging hothead. I actually like hotheads in moderation (John McEnroe being one of my idols), my problem with Smart's version of hothead is that it was indiscriminate, he was as likely to lash out at a teammate or a fan as he was at the opposing players or the refs. To me, that belied a deeper anger issue, something beyond mere emotionality, a deep trigger point that once crossed completely overtook all his decision making faculties. In other words, someone you couldn't completely count on or trust.

Imagine my surprise then when he came into this season and showed none of those tendencies (initially). He was patting officials on the butt after a bad call, being humble with his teammates, showing zero reaction to bad calls or cheap plays by opponents. I remember it was sometime in January where I started thinking "this kid has really turned a corner". All that red flag behavior I saw in college hadn't transitioned to the pros. I figured it'd take him YEARS to get his anger under control and here he had done it in 6 months. Sure, he wasn't playing as well as we all thought he would, but he appeared to have gotten his anger under control.

No sooner than I say that and he slowly reverted. More animation on the court. Actual complaining to refs. His body language matching his level of play (strutting when playing well, or frustrated head-hanging when he didn't). The stoic, humble kid from November was slowly replaced with good ole OK ST Marcus Smart. It seemed the more he unleashed the less refined parts of his game, the penetration and questionable shot selection, the more he revealed his true inner emotional state. At first, I thought this is great, he's getting comfortable, letting his inner dog out, and getting confident and he's really going to start balling real soon.

And he did really start balling. Won Rookie of the Month in February. But the progression from cautious humble Marcus to brash confident Marcus revealed the true rub: to be the best he can be, he must play on the edge of his emotions and being on the edge brings out what appears to be an (at times) uncontrollable temper.

There's no going back to cautious humble Marcus. That guy sucked anyway (in comparison to Rookie of the Month Marcus). What it's about going forward is accepting who Marcus is (a hothead, which isn't the worst thing in the world because he actually cares just doesn't know how to show it) while also working with him to first of all direct that anger at only the more acceptable targets (other players and refs or fans) and then as more suspensions happen and he gets older, use the suspensions as motivation to get him to slowly work on directing that anger at the only real truly acceptable target, which is on the court making actual winning basketball plays and not nut punches in 20 point blowouts 'cause you don't like how screens are being set.

To his credit (IMO), none of his anger has been directed at his own teammates and coach (as far as we know). This is good, it means his emotionality--which is at the heart of his greatness as a competitor and player--can still be harnessed productively. He might not ever get all the way there but if can maintain some kind of line he won't cross, then you can work with that and learn to trust it.
The leaks are real...the news is fake.

I'm just here for the memes.

Return to Boston Celtics