ImageImageImage

Jared Sullinger played this year above 300 LBS

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Re: Jared Sullinger played this year above 300 LBS 

Post#41 » by klemen4 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:32 pm

The Celtics believe Sullinger weighed in excess of 300 pounds this season. The power forward balks at that number

"The heaviest I got was 298,'' he insisted.

He is told his team begs to differ.

"I didn't get over 300,'' Sullinger said. "I was close, but I didn't.''

He paused for a moment.

"Well, maybe one day I was ...'' he offered.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I read whole article... I highly highly doubt he can do it...maybe he can but will not stay at that 260.
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#42 » by SichtingLives » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:36 pm

Who had any idea Sully had serious problems with his weight?? Thank god Jackie finally shed light upon this mystery ! !

If this story were any more delayed it would be prehistoric. Jackie should read realgm more often, we've been covering this one for years.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#43 » by Ben-N1ce » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:40 pm

I don't know why people are knocking him. He's an alien and it's not his fault. A change of diet and working out isn't going to help him.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#44 » by truth18 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:51 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:I don't know why people are knocking him. He's an alien and it's not his fault. A change of diet and working out isn't going to help him.

Maybe he can undergo a Majiin Buu type transformation then?
YOU LOSE
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#45 » by humblebum » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:54 pm

I'm not an expert but I'm guessing that, although ryaningf presents an interesting synopsis on how to effectively change a diet, inherited genetic predisposition, slower metabolism, as well as learned behaviors are all significant risk/limiting factors in the process of getting into NBA basketball condition.

It's not that the kid is an alien, but damn, he's a human being who I believe makes plenty of effort. It's just that it's not exactly informed or consistent effort, and couple that with his more obvious risk factors, it has lead him to this point. The good news is that this injury + this playoff push by his teammates is a huge motivator for him. Whatever your feelings on Sullinger long-term, him trying to get in the best condition possible is great for this team in the short term.

But you just gotta love a bunch of likely overweight, out of shape forum posters trashing a players character due to this stuff... I mean, late night snacking... who doesn't love a late night snack? LMAO.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#46 » by StojkoVrankovic » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Stop making excuses for the lazy bastard
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#47 » by DarkAzcura » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:22 pm

StojkoVrankovic wrote:Image

Oh my. I just looked up some Ohio State pictures of Sullinger.

That dude was pretty damn fit for a PF.

Sullinger pls.

EDIT: On this thread as a whole..I've been harping on Sully's conditioning for a long time, and I personally am scared to see the Celtics sign him to a long term deal if he loses the weight this summer. The timing scares me. People are being pretty harsh in this thread, though. Dude is human. Let's treat him like one. =/
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#48 » by FakeScreenName123 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:35 pm

ryaningf wrote:
Struggling with your diet and weight isn't some kind of character indictment

Amen.

So happy I don't have to "red-flag" him, just in case, you know.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#49 » by ballup » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:11 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:Image

I wouldn't count media day pictures as honest representations of his past body shape. It's a deceiving photo because his body is turned and may not be fully straight. Most of his game photos at Ohio State show a wider waist and more arm fat due to not flexing.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#50 » by ddb » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:21 am

mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#51 » by mbsnmisc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:38 am

ryaningf wrote:This thread is filled with misplaced anger and a whole lot of ignorance.

Struggling with your diet and weight isn't some kind of character indictment. It's about knowledge and discipline, about understanding what makes you overweight and then coming up with a plan to combat it. From the comments in Jackie's article, Sully doesn't understand why he's overweight (he chalks it up to genetics and a lack of self-control), nor does he have anyone in his life (the Cs included) who can tell him what to do right.

To wit:

Sullinger is out of his walking boot and looks visibly slimmer. He claims to have lost "10 or 15 pounds" from riding the exercise bike and committing to a daily workout regimen in the pool.

"My conditioning has been the best it's been all season because of the swimming,'' Sullinger said. "I don't really like it because it's hard, but I feel myself getting faster.''

Under the watchful eye of strength and conditioning coach Bryan Doo and his staff, Sullinger said his first timed lap was 2 minutes, 34 seconds.

"But I've got that down to 1:45 now,'' he said. "I've turned it into a mental competition for myself.''

Eff the pool, Sully. Swimming great for toning and getting in some low impact cardio. But like all cardio exercise, it's not a great calorie burner. Weight training at a high pace (limited breaks between sets) is much more effective in burning calories and if you do it at a high enough pace (while keeping proper form) you can also get a good cardio workout.

"Do you think I want to be like this? I don't,'' Sullinger said. "My genetics aren't the same as your genetics. Some people can drop 10 pounds in a week. Some can drop 10 pounds in three weeks. My body doesn't work like that.

"People say, 'Hire a nutritionist,' but it's not that simple,'' he explained. "What people don't understand is after a game, you get hungry. I stay up late, I'm not falling asleep and I want to eat. The hardest calories to burn off are those late-night calories.

"And that's what has been getting me this year. I have to work 10 times, 30 times as hard to keep off those extra 400 calories.

"Even though the stuff [in the locker room] is good stuff, healthy stuff, my body doesn't react to it the way an Avery Bradley or a James Young does.''

So he hops in the pool, rides the bike, then drinks as much water as he can to curb an appetite that seems insatiable to him.

"I know what people think,'' Sullinger said. "They think a snack for me is a sandwich or a couple of burgers. It isn't. It's a cup of fruit. I'm trying.''

Eff your cup of fruit, Sully. One of the worst things he could be doing is eating fruit to curb his appetite (nothing but simple sugars, water, and a little fiber...only the fiber is good for you). This is where a nutritionist and some direction from the Cs would do wonders. Sully's right that he's got slow metabolism and a genetic history that predisposes him to obesity. Where he and the Cs are failing is how they're treating this. This isn't about portions and eating effing fruit. It's about getting most of his calories from carbs. Carbs cause spikes in blood sugar. In people with low metabolism, this is bad news. They struggle metabolizing those sugars genetically and their carb-rich diet compounds this problem.

The cure is simple. Sully needs to retrain his body to burn fat, not carbs. Fat takes more energy to metabolize and levels your blood sugar and provides even energy levels throughout the day, something that curbs appetite (why are you hungry a half hour after eating that Snickers? Because the temporary short term energy boost provided by simple carbs--SUGAR basically--is followed by a crash and that loss of energy prompts you to think hey I should eat something else not because you're hungry but because you're tired).

You wanna lose weight? Go absolutely no-carb for 10-20 days (carbs are everywhere so shoot for 30 grams or less of carbs everyday, absolutely no sugar). This will retrain your body to burn fat. Then shoot for a 50% protein, 25% fat, 25% carb diet, but make sure you're eating complex carbs like quinoa, oatmeal, pototoes, peas, beans, and lentils. Swear off sugar. Vegetables are your friend, so if you need to pig out grab a bag of baby carrots and go to town. Eat a whole can of peanuts. Have 3 steaks, I don't care. Put butter on EVERYTHING. Whatever you pig out on, make sure it's high in fat or protein or fiber. Always make sure you get your fiber (oatmeal, flaxseeds, broccoli) so your poop comes out on the regular. Hemp seeds might be the greatest food source in the world because they're high in protein, fat, and fiber. Put hemp seeds on everything. Have a smoothie with greek yogurt, low sugar peanut butter, some hemp and flax seeds, some raw cacao powder, and soy or coconut milk and some black coffee and you'll go hard all effing day long and not be hungry. People think a low carb diet is hard, how hard is it to have eggs and bacon every day? Hit those eggs hard! Eff apples, an egg a day keeps the doctor away. You like cheese? B!tch please you can eat all the cheese you want just avoid pasta, rice, juices, gatorade, bread and all those simple carbs and you'll be slimmer in no time.

I am not going to get into my personal story, it is personal afterall. But July of 2013 I weighed 417 lbs. Low carb, weight training, hard, 3-5 times a week, and I am now a svelte (haha) 275. I have added 200 lbs to my bench, and can actuall go out and shoot hoops with my son.

I cannot believe a nutritionist that a rich guy, along with the braintrust of the Boston Celtics, can hire, would not give the low carb/high protein diet a chance.

I am never hungry on this program. Nuts, vegetables and protein, along with some berries and a good supplement regimen/proper weight training, and Sully could come back next year and put up sick numbers. I wish him well, he can play basketball against elite competition in poor condition. Imagine a fitter, stronger, more explosive Sully. Damn he would be tough.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#52 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 am

ryaningf wrote:This thread is filled with misplaced anger and a whole lot of ignorance.

Struggling with your diet and weight isn't some kind of character indictment. It's about knowledge and discipline, about understanding what makes you overweight and then coming up with a plan to combat it. From the comments in Jackie's article, Sully doesn't understand why he's overweight (he chalks it up to genetics and a lack of self-control), nor does he have anyone in his life (the Cs included) who can tell him what to do right.

To wit:

Sullinger is out of his walking boot and looks visibly slimmer. He claims to have lost "10 or 15 pounds" from riding the exercise bike and committing to a daily workout regimen in the pool.

"My conditioning has been the best it's been all season because of the swimming,'' Sullinger said. "I don't really like it because it's hard, but I feel myself getting faster.''

Under the watchful eye of strength and conditioning coach Bryan Doo and his staff, Sullinger said his first timed lap was 2 minutes, 34 seconds.

"But I've got that down to 1:45 now,'' he said. "I've turned it into a mental competition for myself.''

Eff the pool, Sully. Swimming great for toning and getting in some low impact cardio. But like all cardio exercise, it's not a great calorie burner. Weight training at a high pace (limited breaks between sets) is much more effective in burning calories and if you do it at a high enough pace (while keeping proper form) you can also get a good cardio workout.

"Do you think I want to be like this? I don't,'' Sullinger said. "My genetics aren't the same as your genetics. Some people can drop 10 pounds in a week. Some can drop 10 pounds in three weeks. My body doesn't work like that.

"People say, 'Hire a nutritionist,' but it's not that simple,'' he explained. "What people don't understand is after a game, you get hungry. I stay up late, I'm not falling asleep and I want to eat. The hardest calories to burn off are those late-night calories.

"And that's what has been getting me this year. I have to work 10 times, 30 times as hard to keep off those extra 400 calories.

"Even though the stuff [in the locker room] is good stuff, healthy stuff, my body doesn't react to it the way an Avery Bradley or a James Young does.''

So he hops in the pool, rides the bike, then drinks as much water as he can to curb an appetite that seems insatiable to him.

"I know what people think,'' Sullinger said. "They think a snack for me is a sandwich or a couple of burgers. It isn't. It's a cup of fruit. I'm trying.''

Eff your cup of fruit, Sully. One of the worst things he could be doing is eating fruit to curb his appetite (nothing but simple sugars, water, and a little fiber...only the fiber is good for you). This is where a nutritionist and some direction from the Cs would do wonders. Sully's right that he's got slow metabolism and a genetic history that predisposes him to obesity. Where he and the Cs are failing is how they're treating this. This isn't about portions and eating effing fruit. It's about getting most of his calories from carbs. Carbs cause spikes in blood sugar. In people with low metabolism, this is bad news. They struggle metabolizing those sugars genetically and their carb-rich diet compounds this problem.

The cure is simple. Sully needs to retrain his body to burn fat, not carbs. Fat takes more energy to metabolize and levels your blood sugar and provides even energy levels throughout the day, something that curbs appetite (why are you hungry a half hour after eating that Snickers? Because the temporary short term energy boost provided by simple carbs--SUGAR basically--is followed by a crash and that loss of energy prompts you to think hey I should eat something else not because you're hungry but because you're tired).

You wanna lose weight? Go absolutely no-carb for 10-20 days (carbs are everywhere so shoot for 30 grams or less of carbs everyday, absolutely no sugar). This will retrain your body to burn fat. Then shoot for a 50% protein, 25% fat, 25% carb diet, but make sure you're eating complex carbs like quinoa, oatmeal, pototoes, peas, beans, and lentils. Swear off sugar. Vegetables are your friend, so if you need to pig out grab a bag of baby carrots and go to town. Eat a whole can of peanuts. Have 3 steaks, I don't care. Put butter on EVERYTHING. Whatever you pig out on, make sure it's high in fat or protein or fiber. Always make sure you get your fiber (oatmeal, flaxseeds, broccoli) so your poop comes out on the regular. Hemp seeds might be the greatest food source in the world because they're high in protein, fat, and fiber. Put hemp seeds on everything. Have a smoothie with greek yogurt, low sugar peanut butter, some hemp and flax seeds, some raw cacao powder, and soy or coconut milk and some black coffee and you'll go hard all effing day long and not be hungry. People think a low carb diet is hard, how hard is it to have eggs and bacon every day? Hit those eggs hard! Eff apples, an egg a day keeps the doctor away. You like cheese? B!tch please you can eat all the cheese you want just avoid pasta, rice, juices, gatorade, bread and all those simple carbs and you'll be slimmer in no time.

Don't take this the wrong way but I think I need to move in with you. :D
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,276

Post#53 » by Froob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:28 am

I'm no nutritionist but I find gum seems to fight off hunger pretty well just saying lol. Probably best to trade Sully before the deadline if he is in shape unless he'll agree to a weight clause in his next contract.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#54 » by sully00 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:45 am

KGboss wrote:WTF? over 300? Seriously? Wasnt he listed at 260 when he was drafted or am i thinking of someone else?

This guy has no dsicipline or control over his body and i have no patience for that. Already played the Fat Mamba experiment with Glen Davis. Dont want to again.

He was 3 bills when he showed up at OSU and then put the work in to get in that 260 range prior to the draft. He needs to a better job but he did deal with a career threatening back injury. I might be his biggest fan I would be cautious with committing a lot of money to him but he is only 22 and a hell of a player. Big Baby's problem wasn't the weight in Boston he got that under control his problem was the crazy and he has never gotten that under control.

Can't believe he let it get to 300 though he was playing basketball almost 30 mpg what the hell was he eating?
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#55 » by KGboss » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:35 pm

sully00 wrote:
KGboss wrote:WTF? over 300? Seriously? Wasnt he listed at 260 when he was drafted or am i thinking of someone else?

This guy has no dsicipline or control over his body and i have no patience for that. Already played the Fat Mamba experiment with Glen Davis. Dont want to again.

He was 3 bills when he showed up at OSU and then put the work in to get in that 260 range prior to the draft. He needs to a better job but he did deal with a career threatening back injury. I might be his biggest fan I would be cautious with committing a lot of money to him but he is only 22 and a hell of a player. Big Baby's problem wasn't the weight in Boston he got that under control his problem was the crazy and he has never gotten that under control.

Can't believe he let it get to 300 though he was playing basketball almost 30 mpg what the hell was he eating?

He had his weight under control? Glen Davis? Dude would eat 2 full plates of pasta and waffles like nobodies buisness.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#56 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:40 pm

ryaningf wrote:

This is it right here. If I was well off, I'd be eating steak or sashimi every single day to keep the weight off. Bacon and eggs in the morning is also a fantastic way to start the morning off. Hell, I don't even fry my bacon anymore. Just throw it in the oven for 15 minutes. Less mess to clean up, and I don't have to worry about getting splattered with oil while frying it.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#57 » by Kefa461 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:46 pm

I would hope Danny could get the best deal we can for him and be done with this.......need to move on imho.....

8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#58 » by humblebum » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:36 pm

I think people have it backwards... this makes it LESS likely Sullinger is moved.

Even if he has a big year, this type of story is what will scare teams off in his RFA year, thus making it more likely he's kept here on a bargain. After all the Celtics are the team that was willing to take a risk on him and give him a starting job no less despite his struggles with his weight/conditioning. Keep him on his qualifying offer or give him a make good 2-3 year deal with a team option.

Maybe he plays well enough to end up being a sell high option (like Green or Rondo) and they keep Olynyk (a distinct possibility). But I hope Ainge doesn't do a whole lot of in-season tinkering next year and handles this situation in the offseason. Hard to imagine Sully getting traded at his lowest value.
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#59 » by LongTimeFan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:08 pm

I have to second the low carb advice.

I can accept the Celtics defer to the docs on this. Look DA who should know better for religious reasons has already had a heart attack and he's only like 56. And he looks like hell too.

Eating that manufactured food crap is in direct violation of what Joseph Smith wrote in the Mormon Word of Wisdom. "Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation." DA honestly believes God gave Joseph Smith this revelation. And yet I have little doubt like far too many Mormons, he has gone down the low fat, high carb crap road.

As they say the fish rots from the head down. If DA doesn't take care of his own system with every advantage God, country and family can offer, one really can not expect Sully to be much wiser.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#60 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Wrong about the swimming Ryan, it burns the most calories than any other exercise on an hourly basis. Thats why him and other overweight people do it.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return to Boston Celtics