ImageImageImage

Rumblings around league: Pierce may leave Wizards for Clippers

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#1 » by rickrolled » Mon May 25, 2015 6:42 pm

Paul Pierce Could Opt Out Of Wizards' Deal, Sign With Clippers
MAY 25, 2015 1:46 PM

Paul Pierce can opt out of his contract with the Washington Wizards this offseason.

Many around the league expect Pierce to opt out and finish his career with the Los Angeles Clippers. Pierce would have the opportunity to reunite with Doc Rivers while also playing in his hometown.

Pierce was pursued by the Clippers last offseason.

The Wizards thrived with Pierce as a small ball power forward.

DAVID ALDRIDGE/NBA.COM

I would feel awful if he ended up playing there with that fraud of a coach.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Re: Rumblings around league: Pierce may leave Wizards for Clippers 

Post#2 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 25, 2015 6:51 pm

If he wants to go into management, playing for a different team each season for the rest of his career might actually help prepare him.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#3 » by Afam » Mon May 25, 2015 6:53 pm

I saw it on Twitter, and never took it seriously. It would be a huge disappointment, and shock if Pierce retires with the Clippers. No way. I don't care if he played for Doc Rivers. Anything other than Paul Pierce retiring with the Celtics, is wrong.
pfm
Sixth Man
And1: 1,652

Post#4 » by pfm » Mon May 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Is this really that surprising to anyone? Not exactly new rumored interest. For a while it has seemed like Pierce will do 1 of 4 things (in no particular order):

1. Stay with the Wiz
2. Come back to the C's
3. Reunite with Doc on the Clips
4. Retire
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,692

Post#5 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon May 25, 2015 7:16 pm

I thought he would have joined the clippers last year. If this is true not great news for a certain poster who has to switch teams again this time to a west coast team.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,664

Post#6 » by Green89 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:23 pm

This is just an Aldridge guess. His exact words on his blog were:

Maybe Paul Pierce will walk away from the second year of his deal ($5.5 million) in Washington in order to finish his career in his hometown, playing for his old Celtics coach and his former teammate-turned-Clippers assistant Sam Cassell for less money.

This isn't even rumor worthy. It's just Aldridge saying "maybe" this or "maybe" that will happen. There's nothing else substantial on this aside from Aldridge's speculation.
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#7 » by Afam » Mon May 25, 2015 7:24 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:I thought he would have joined the clippers last year. If this is true not great news for a certain poster who has to switch teams again this time to a west coast team.

Ha Ha. He who shall remain nameless.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#8 » by truth18 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Paul on the Clippers? That would suck in many ways. I would have to do what I did in the Nets season and just not watch many games of his in the regular season. At least it would be more exciting than his Nets season
YOU LOSE
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#9 » by jfs1000d » Mon May 25, 2015 9:46 pm

I would think if celts somehow get a team capable of a deep playoff run , pierce would come back. He should go to the clips. Hometown, terrific coach who turned his career around. Maybe w can get them to play harder.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#10 » by GregB » Mon May 25, 2015 11:37 pm

Aldridge getting clicks. I think theirs a greater chance Paul comes back to the celtics on a vet min deal. I'm starting to buy in that we can get two Max guys. Let's see if danny shatters that dream by taking salary on draft night As part of a deal to move up in the draft. Otherwise, I'm all in on Love and Jordan.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#11 » by ParticleMan » Tue May 26, 2015 5:28 am

not surprising, PP loves doc and vice versa. it's a rare situation where he could instantly be a starter on a championship team.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,154

Post#12 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:28 pm

Can't see him signing up there if Jordan leaves. So let's hope Jordan leaves because I would hate to see Pierce playing next to that bitch Chris Paul.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#13 » by 2Mas » Tue May 26, 2015 5:01 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Can't see him signing up there if Jordan leaves. So let's hope Jordan leaves because I would hate to see Pierce playing next to that bitch Chris Paul.

Agreed. I would hate to see PP in Clipps gear lol. Don't go to Mia-LAl-Lac-Cle please.

Wouldn't even care if played for NYK, cause NYK never did anything to us. He just tortured them lol. But those other teams, nah. & IK the Clips never did anything to us, I just don't like them. Just a personal thing.

Anyways -- Quoted you cause I just can't see Doc not maxing out Jordan. The owner wants to spend & win. If they let him go, they'll have like 10m max in spending money. Might as well max him out, use MLE on Pierce, & use the BAE smartly. Try to get a Ed Davis, Aminu type deal for a year.

& Also, they have Austin Rivers bird rights cause they traded for him right?
CP3-Rivers
Reddick-Crawford
Pierce-Barnes
Griffin- BAE?
Jordan-Hawes

Still don't think it's that wonderful. Still unathletic on the wings.
illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Post#14 » by illmatic24 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:37 pm

Do they have the money to make that happen? I thought they would be pretty cap strapped after signing DJ to a max deal.

Unless they don't mind letting him walk and replacing him with Pierce and a cheaper big man option? If that's the case, Pierce going there could actually help the C's future if it frees up DJ to sign here. I really doubt that happens but you never know.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#15 » by celticfan42487 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Afam wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:I thought he would have joined the clippers last year. If this is true not great news for a certain poster who has to switch teams again this time to a west coast team.

He was here

He has left

He will return agaaaainnn.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM

Post#16 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:45 pm

2Mas wrote:Agreed. I would hate to see PP in Clipps gear lol. Don't go to Mia-LAl-Lac-Cle please.

Wouldn't even care if played for NYK, cause NYK never did anything to us. He just tortured them lol. But those other teams, nah. & IK the Clips never did anything to us, I just don't like them. Just a personal thing.

Anyways -- Quoted you cause I just can't see Doc not maxing out Jordan. The owner wants to spend & win. If they let him go, they'll have like 10m max in spending money. Might as well max him out, use MLE on Pierce, & use the BAE smartly. Try to get a Ed Davis, Aminu type deal for a year.

& Also, they have Austin Rivers bird rights cause they traded for him right?
CP3-Rivers
Reddick-Crawford
Pierce-Barnes
Griffin- BAE?
Jordan-Hawes

Still don't think it's that wonderful. Still unathletic on the wings.

Yeah Doc will max him out. He has already said that. But DJ also said free agency was going to be a 'fun one'. I'm guessing he's open to other teams. Would not surprise me one bit if he decided to leave to get away from CP3 and Blake. Dude would most likely be an All Star in the East.

"Sources say Paul's well-known edginess and drive ground on Jordan's nerves for much of the year," Reiter writes. "... Asked if the issues between the two were serious, the source said, 'Oh yeah. [Jordan] might leave. He really might.'"

"He has longed for a larger stage and role," ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne wrote. "Not making the All-Star team or winning a defensive player of the year award has frustrated him. So does losing in the second round, year after year."
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Post#17 » by exculpatory » Wed May 27, 2015 4:13 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
Afam wrote:

He was here

He has left

He will return agaaaainnn.

I never left.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
bobnwa
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#18 » by bobnwa » Wed May 27, 2015 11:55 am

There is no rumor going around about Pierce going to the Clippers. Did you just make that up?
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#19 » by 2Mas » Wed May 27, 2015 1:32 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
"Sources say Paul's well-known edginess and drive ground on Jordan's nerves for much of the year," Reiter writes. "... Asked if the issues between the two were serious, the source said, 'Oh yeah. [Jordan] might leave. He really might.'"

"He has longed for a larger stage and role," ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne wrote. "Not making the All-Star team or winning a defensive player of the year award has frustrated him. So does losing in the second round, year after year."

Dude. This would be me. Okay, If I was a 2nd-3rd tier guy like Jordan is, I would bounce to the east.

Perfect example was Gordon Hayward last year. He's a borderline all star player, stuck in the "not so close to the asg" in the insane west. If he was a UFA & signed that deal with Charlotte, he prob would been an allstar.

I'd love if Jordan came to the east. He should really go to the Bucks. Damn that'd be such a fun team. But the west is just insane. Now add Towns & Okafor to the future ASG consideration. I think Gasol stays, but Aldridge, Jordan, these guys who aren't gonna be lead guys in the west but are awesome players & in the east they'd contend.

I really hope some players bounce from the west, cause I hate this whole west vs east imbalance.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM

Post#20 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:13 pm

2Mas wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

Dude. This would be me. Okay, If I was a 2nd-3rd tier guy like Jordan is, I would bounce to the east.

Perfect example was Gordon Hayward last year. He's a borderline all star player, stuck in the "not so close to the asg" in the insane west. If he was a UFA & signed that deal with Charlotte, he prob would been an allstar.

I'd love if Jordan came to the east. He should really go to the Bucks. Damn that'd be such a fun team. But the west is just insane. Now add Towns & Okafor to the future ASG consideration. I think Gasol stays, but Aldridge, Jordan, these guys who aren't gonna be lead guys in the west but are awesome players & in the east they'd contend.

I really hope some players bounce from the west, cause I hate this whole west vs east imbalance.

Yeah man I would do the same. If you're a big time free agent right now and you're watching the Cavs cruise to the finals with two all stars missing or the Hawks winning 60 while going to the ECF with that weak sauce of a roster I don't know how you wouldn't be drooling over the fact you could come get a piece of that. Seriously..specially guys like Aldridge, Jordan and Gasol who never really got anywhere over there and are now in teams that look pretty 'treadmillish' if you think about it. These guys could easily come East and elevate ANY team in the conference into a top 3 team. Why these super stars all choose to go West is mind boggling to me.

Return to Boston Celtics