ImageImageImage

All-American, All-Purpose Thread the 4th (of July) Edition

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

greenpierce
Pro Prospect
And1: 148

Re: All-American, All-Purpose Thread the 4th (of July) Edition 

Post#781 » by greenpierce » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:06 pm

aim2please wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Selzwood/status/617074547976581120[/tweet]

I bet LMA gained 15 pounds from all these lunches he's had in the last few days. Maybe it's Pop's plan to make him gain weight so he's forced to play center :lol:

Dress him up right, and Pop could do KFC commercials as Col. Sanders.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,190

Post#782 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:12 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/617108465324920832[/tweet]
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ILC
Starter
And1: 1,903

Post#783 » by ILC » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:13 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/617108659563204608[/tweet]
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Redemption. Water into wine....rondo is Jesus
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,190

Post#784 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:19 pm

So... over/under before this happens on the Kings? 12 games?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wbrYhdHxg[/youtube]
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
gdagod10
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#785 » by gdagod10 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:19 pm

That team is gonna be pure comedy
ILC
Starter
And1: 1,903

Post#786 » by ILC » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:21 pm

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/4sTND8o47L/[/instagram]
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Redemption. Water into wine....rondo is Jesus
Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,426

Post#787 » by Marley2Hendrix » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:21 pm

Humble, what I took from the Aim post was that you are quick to assimilate to changing circumstances, and I appreciate that you try to reframe negative outcomes in a positive light. That tendency is much appreciated by me, though I get why others may (imo mis-) perceive it as you flip flopping on issues.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
Bar Fight
RealGM
And1: 15,800

Post#788 » by Bar Fight » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:22 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/617077317786042368[/tweet]
So THAT'S why Ainge is saving all that cap space. #BlakeToBoston

Steve Blake maybe.
celticgreenie
Junior
And1: 269

Post#789 » by celticgreenie » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:28 pm

Remember when Danny Ainge was trying to offer Rondo an extension? Now he has to settle for a one year deal. I'd fire his agent for that.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#790 » by CelticFaninLBC » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:29 pm

Lol at the Lakers. Still haven't signed anyone.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,016

Post#791 » by Ben-N1ce » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:35 pm

celticgreenie wrote:Remember when Danny Ainge was trying to offer Rondo an extension? Now he has to settle for a one year deal. I'd fire his agent for that.

Last year

“Rumor has it that Rondo has asked for a $100 million extension,” Maxwell told Yahoo! Sports Radio.

OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#792 » by OFWGKTA » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:41 pm

I bet Rondo's wishing he would have taken that 3/45 extension right about now
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#793 » by Marvel » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:59 pm

Damn, i can't believe he walked away from the Clips like that. I think it's a bad choice.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#794 » by humblebum » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:03 am

Marley2Hendrix wrote:Humble, what I took from the Aim post was that you are quick to assimilate to changing circumstances, and I appreciate that you try to reframe negative outcomes in a positive light. That tendency is much appreciated by me, though I get why others may (imo mis-) perceive it as you flip flopping on issues.

Isn't assimilating changing circumstances exactly what you do as a scout, GM, player or coach? That's the only thing. It's the "fixators" that paint themselves as realistic, create some entrenched view point, that everyone else stands inferior to. If you don't pre-select exactly what you want to see happen, and are willing to be flexible, in my experience, means that person is a sound thinker. The "realist" "entrenched into a singular view point" is really just a pessimist with a degree and a day job.

People are too simpleminded. It's like they can't hold the two ideas in their heads at the same time, so they assume that no one else could possibly have two possible paths to follow that he will be happy with, regardless of what circumstances transpire. I can love Winslow enough to want to trade up for him in the draft, but not love him so much that I choose him over building a fundamental core system from which to move forward, and taking the "multiple swings at the plate" approach to the draft. I was ALWAYS comfortable with both things... so that's not reactionary. That's me saying plan A is "get Winslow, or Cauley-Stein or Stanley Johnson, or Myles Turner or Devin Booker", plan B is get guys who you like at 16, 28 and 33 and see what you got. Do I think that those players from group A have higher upside? In some cases, yes. Some of those guys just seemed like really sure things, like Winslow because you know he's tough, high character, and he defends. Now, if Ainge went in there and drafted Frank Kaminsky and Jerian Grant I would be slitting my wrists right now.

That's not a reactionary stance... that legit pre-meditated flexibility to flow between either A or B preceding the draft... And everything I said I said about Winslow is true. I loved him pre draft hype, just based on his Duke performance. The measurements soured me on him (being a role player type offensively in the halfcourt is fine when I'm thinking he's 6'8" but not quite as sexy when he looks more 6'5"), I looked at other guys and eventually came back to my initial gut feeling that he could be that Smart type, who could overcome a lack of skill with great physicality, emotion and leadership.

I don't even mind the hate. I was the one of the lone Rondo realists on this board for most of the last 7-8 years. Trust me, I've learned how to take a beating on this board from fools and blowhards. A few of them done been vanquished in those debates at my hands... and they're still sticking around too.

As an "addendum" to the point about me mentioning Wade and Ginobli as comps for Winslow, I was referring to footwork and body composition, control and posture. Other guys I've made comps for in the lotto include Booker (Bradley Beal, not Klay is the guy he reminds me of) and Stan Johnson, who reminds me of a more rugged JR Smith, or a JR-Crowder combination (which has funny implications based on their fracus in the playoffs). That's not evidence of a flip flop... that's evidence of my astute eye for detail in recognizing "influences" in a player's floor games.

I've studied deeply from the gates, and at a less athletic/height/burst ratio, I can complete a bunch of technical footwork series from guys like Wade, Ginobli, Pierce, Kobe. If you can study body dynamics and watch how players move, dribble, shoot, defend it's easy to make these types of connections.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,331

Post#795 » by DK-All Day » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:29 am

Ben-N1ce wrote:
celticgreenie wrote:Remember when Danny Ainge was trying to offer Rondo an extension? Now he has to settle for a one year deal. I'd fire his agent for that.

Last year

“Rumor has it that Rondo has asked for a $100 million extension,” Maxwell told Yahoo! Sports Radio.

A bullett was dodged. Its crazy how 365 days can make such drastic changes.
Handsome.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,516

Post#796 » by 165bows » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:37 am

@deanondraft: Felton + 2018 + 2020 1sts + filler is very mutually beneficial. Lawson ties the Mavs' roster together real well https://t.co/W3uqKxR5hz

This is a version of what I thought C's would get for Rondo. Would be funny if they do it for Lawson.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#797 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:40 am

humblebum wrote:
Marley2Hendrix wrote:Humble, what I took from the Aim post was that you are quick to assimilate to changing circumstances, and I appreciate that you try to reframe negative outcomes in a positive light. That tendency is much appreciated by me, though I get why others may (imo mis-) perceive it as you flip flopping on issues.

Isn't assimilating changing circumstances exactly what you do as a scout, GM, player or coach? That's the only thing. It's the "fixators" that paint themselves as realistic, create some entrenched view point, that everyone else stands inferior to. If you don't pre-select exactly what you want to see happen, and are willing to be flexible, in my experience, means that person is a sound thinker. The "realist" "entrenched into a singular view point" is really just a pessimist with a degree and a day job.

People are too simpleminded. It's like they can't hold the two ideas in their heads at the same time, so they assume that no one else could possibly have two possible paths to follow that he will be happy with, regardless of what circumstances transpire. I can love Winslow enough to want to trade up for him in the draft, but not love him so much that I choose him over building a fundamental core system from which to move forward, and taking the "multiple swings at the plate" approach to the draft. I was ALWAYS comfortable with both things... so that's not reactionary. That's me saying plan A is "get Winslow, or Cauley-Stein or Stanley Johnson, or Myles Turner or Devin Booker", plan B is get guys who you like at 16, 28 and 33 and see what you got. Do I think that those players from group A have higher upside? In some cases, yes. Some of those guys just seemed like really sure things, like Winslow because you know he's tough, high character, and he defends. Now, if Ainge went in there and drafted Frank Kaminsky and Jerian Grant I would be slitting my wrists right now.

That's not a reactionary stance... that legit pre-meditated flexibility to flow between either A or B preceding the draft... And everything I said I said about Winslow is true. I loved him pre draft hype, just based on his Duke performance. The measurements soured me on him (being a role player type offensively in the halfcourt is fine when I'm thinking he's 6'8" but not quite as sexy when he looks more 6'5"), I looked at other guys and eventually came back to my initial gut feeling that he could be that Smart type, who could overcome a lack of skill with great physicality, emotion and leadership.

I don't even mind the hate. I was the one of the lone Rondo realists on this board for most of the last 7-8 years. Trust me, I've learned how to take a beating on this board from fools and blowhards. A few of them done been vanquished in those debates at my hands... and they're still sticking around too.

Nah. You went all-in on the fact that we were going to have this great offseason not only without tanking, but because we didn't tank. You were very adamant about this, and spoke in absolute terms devoid of nuance. Anyone who didn't agree didn't understand basketball. Fact it didn't pan out seems to be everyone else's fault but your own.

I'm over it, but come on. You can't be that over the top and then not own it when it blows up on you.

As to Rondo, I'll own being too high on his market value, but keep in mind I was proactive about wanting to trade him for whatever we could get for a year and a half before he got dealt. I do think he and Green were our two best players back in December when I made the comment (you seem to be trying to put them below a bunch of players who weren't on the team yet), and more importantly, guy was a total gamer for us for a good 5-6 year stretch -- and especially in big games. No one gets to rewrite history on that.
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#798 » by Writebloc » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:50 am

[Tweet] https://twitter.com/ramonashelborne/status/617113448179191808 [/Tweet]

I knew it was a good thing they got Jordan.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#799 » by BfB » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:51 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
humblebum wrote:

Nah. You went all-in on the fact that we were going to have this great offseason not only without tanking, but because we didn't tank. You were very adamant about this, and spoke in absolute terms devoid of nuance. Anyone who didn't agree didn't understand basketball. Fact it didn't pan out seems to be everyone else's fault but your own.

I'm over it, but come on. You can't be that over the top and then not own it when it blows up on you.

As to Rondo, I'll own being too high on his market value, but keep in mind I was proactive about wanting to trade him for whatever we could get for a year and a half before he got dealt. I do think he and Green were our two best players back in December when I made the comment (you seem to be trying to put them below a bunch of players who weren't on the team yet), and more importantly, guy was a total gamer for us for a good 5-6 year stretch -- and especially in big games. No one gets to rewrite history on that.

So, either of you two have a take on today? The past is OVER - the new direction is clear: remain flexible and wait for something to come along.

The team decided before the draft that it wasn't going to even play this year's free agent market - that's why they put sommuch on the table for Winslow - their new master plan is teying to have the "most" free agent money each of the bext two years while banking on a breakout or two from their core guys.

Personally, I don't think they have a support scorer to make IT's life easier. Sully will fade after 30 games, per usual, and KO will be too damn scared to actually shoot. AB is not a high level scorer. Thought he could get to that 17-19 range, but I have re-adjusted ny expectstions to 15-17, which is fine, but not enough. The team needs somebody to help carry the load, so who does it?
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#800 » by Edug27 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:59 am

BfB - from your take, is Brad 100% behind these decisions? I'm sure he knew he was stepping into a rebuild, but I always wonder if he felt they would have a player to build around by now.

I'm really excited about seeing Smart/Young/Crowder all grow this season.

I think Bradley will be shopped during the deadline. He fits a need from a number of teams.

Return to Boston Celtics