ImageImageImage

All-American, All-Purpose Thread the 4th (of July) Edition

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Re: All-American, All-Purpose Thread the 4th (of July) Edition 

Post#821 » by Smog » Sat Jul 4, 2015 3:01 am

BfB wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
BfB wrote:
So, either of you two have a take on today? The past is OVER - the new direction is clear: remain flexible and wait for something to come along.

The team decided before the draft that it wasn't going to even play this year's free agent market - that's why they put sommuch on the table for Winslow - their new master plan is teying to have the "most" free agent money each of the bext two years while banking on a breakout or two from their core guys.

Personally, I don't think they have a support scorer to make IT's life easier. Sully will fade after 30 games, per usual, and KO will be too damn scared to actually shoot. AB is not a high level scorer. Thought he could get to that 17-19 range, but I have re-adjusted ny expectstions to 15-17, which is fine, but not enough. The team needs somebody to help carry the load, so who does it?

I've been posting about the future the whole time. We have to stay patient and hope we get lucky with some of our picks and prospects. I think we can win 50, not that I hold that in high regard in the East, but it's going to be very difficult to add elite pieces from here. We are bringing knives to a gun fight. I'm disappointed, and I'm one of the guys who saw this coming. And agree that we don't have enough scoring.

I just think its extremely stupid that the team decided to pass on this year's FA class in order to have more cap room next year. It seemed clear that with a 40 million spike over the next two years that this was the only season in history where being aggressive was a smart payoff.

I din't think everybody gets that yet. They think BOS got turned down by free agents. The teuth is that they did some homework and decided that two superstars of the LMA /Gasol ilk wouldn't be a wise investment as they wanted to keep the core under 27 years old and liked the RFA's more than the UFA's.

BOS may still trade for Love in the near future - after the season is a steing possibility as CLE will shed salary to recoup value from onemof their 2 PF's eventually - Mozgov/Love/LBJ/TT all play mins at 4/5 - can't keep them all satisfied and they are imbalanced in terms of depth at other positions.

I just think it is incedibly risky to put all your faith in player development and free agency - they basically "pushed" on this offseason to the next....losing Winslow makes this so much harder to swallow as theb"push" is much easier to digest with a bluechip talent in hand (not sure wtf HB is talking sbout when he says "unskilled" - kids a beast)

There is absolutely no evidence that any top free agents even considered Boston. And there's plenty of evidence that Ainge would have signed any one of them if they'd been available. The only report to the contrary was that they didn't call Monroe.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#822 » by humblebum » Sat Jul 4, 2015 3:15 am

There's also no evidence that any top free agents didn't consider Boston. There's also no real evidence of Ainge heavily pursuing anyone this offseason.

In Ainge's past, we've always seen him lock in on his 1 or 2 targets, and the interest is always pretty explicit. Outside of that, you get regular reports of Ainge rumor this, Ainge rumor that. Well, when you're aggressive trying to improve your team you have conversations and other front offices use those conversations as leverage in their own dealings with players and agents and such.

Think back: he's gone after CP3, West, KG who was like the Cousins of today at that point with those horribly mis-managed Wolves teams, more recently with Winslow, Thomas, Love and Cousins. There is always that clear "we're putting together the best package to get X player and we're unwavering in pursuing those opportunities".

It's always pretty obvious if Ainge really loves a guy, it doesn't seem that outside of Winslow, he wasn't really in love with anyone not already on his roster during this off-season. Gasol and Aldridge, because it seems like they already know where they want to play and are too old to really worry about, especially if they stay West which it seems they are.

I love Amir though... That is a great pick up if he can stay healthy. Also think that Crowder and Jerebko do a ton of intangible things. Sign the Swede! Mike Gorman is a happy man.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#823 » by Banks2Pierce » Sat Jul 4, 2015 3:51 am

Can't really knock a lack of Tobias pursuit at this point after seeing the numbers. Unless you think we could've done some sort of 2+1 thing.

Don't think I can last til the 16th following Alex Kennedy on twitter.

As for DeAndre inexplicably going to Dallas...the curse of firing Damon Blust, he of "Lucky doesn't take cabs" fame, strikes again.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#824 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Jul 4, 2015 3:58 am

Banks2Pierce wrote:"Lucky doesn't take cabs"

Still the GOAT post here.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#825 » by Banks2Pierce » Sat Jul 4, 2015 4:03 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Banks2Pierce wrote:"Lucky doesn't take cabs"

Still the GOAT post here.

I have 1000% buy-in on that story. Certain aspects were corroborated in the Globe. Still slays me 6 years later.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=876061

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/01/30/not_his_lucky_day/?page=full

But a source in the Celtics organization said Blust had been having trouble with management, and had missed public appearances for both charities and Celtics sponsors, despite warnings to change his behavior. "They sat with him before the season started and told him, 'If you don't show up, there are going to be problems,' " said the source. "He wasn't keeping his schedule like he should have."
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#826 » by Roddy » Sat Jul 4, 2015 5:39 am

There are some good players availables :

-Jordan Hill
-Gerald Green
-JR Smith
-Enes Kanter
-Josh Smith ( :-? )
-Davis West
-Bismack Biyombo
-Aaron Brooks
-Joel Anthony ( :lol: )
-KJ McDaniels
-Luis Scola
-Dorell Wright
-Reggie Evans
-Chuck Hayes
-Greg Stiemsma
-Kevin Seraphin
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,017

Post#827 » by fallguy » Sat Jul 4, 2015 5:47 am

Smog wrote:
BfB wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
I've been posting about the future the whole time. We have to stay patient and hope we get lucky with some of our picks and prospects. I think we can win 50, not that I hold that in high regard in the East, but it's going to be very difficult to add elite pieces from here. We are bringing knives to a gun fight. I'm disappointed, and I'm one of the guys who saw this coming. And agree that we don't have enough scoring.

I just think its extremely stupid that the team decided to pass on this year's FA class in order to have more cap room next year. It seemed clear that with a 40 million spike over the next two years that this was the only season in history where being aggressive was a smart payoff.

I din't think everybody gets that yet. They think BOS got turned down by free agents. The teuth is that they did some homework and decided that two superstars of the LMA /Gasol ilk wouldn't be a wise investment as they wanted to keep the core under 27 years old and liked the RFA's more than the UFA's.

BOS may still trade for Love in the near future - after the season is a steing possibility as CLE will shed salary to recoup value from onemof their 2 PF's eventually - Mozgov/Love/LBJ/TT all play mins at 4/5 - can't keep them all satisfied and they are imbalanced in terms of depth at other positions.

I just think it is incedibly risky to put all your faith in player development and free agency - they basically "pushed" on this offseason to the next....losing Winslow makes this so much harder to swallow as theb"push" is much easier to digest with a bluechip talent in hand (not sure wtf HB is talking sbout when he says "unskilled" - kids a beast)

There is absolutely no evidence that any top free agents even considered Boston. And there's plenty of evidence that Ainge would have signed any one of them if they'd been available. The only report to the contrary was that they didn't call Monroe.

Agreed. Ainge did not punt free agency for a shot at a thin 2016 class that features Durant, Horford and 29 other teams with cap space. If you're KD, where is Boston on your radar? Bottom third of the league. If anything he punted to 2017.

Ainge just swung and missed this summer. Badly. The future is less promising as a result.

(Only point of agreement is he liked the restricted guys better than the unrestricted guys)
bbd24
Starter
And1: 954

Post#828 » by bbd24 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 5:57 am

fallguy wrote:
Smog wrote:
BfB wrote:

Agreed. Ainge did not punt free agency for a shot at a thin 2016 class that features Durant, Horford and 29 other teams with cap space. If you're KD, where is Boston on your radar? Bottom third of the league. If anything he punted to 2017.

Ainge just swung and missed this summer. Badly. The future is less promising as a result.

(Only point of agreement is he liked the restricted guys better than the unrestricted guys)

Excuse me ? Maybe in free agency. He didn't swing and miss in the draft.

Rozier was a home run to dead center. Most on this board just don't realize it yet. They'll quickly change their tune
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,726

Post#829 » by KamikazeK » Sat Jul 4, 2015 6:40 am

bbd24 wrote:
fallguy wrote:
Smog wrote:

Excuse me ? Maybe in free agency. He didn't swing and miss in the draft.

Rozier was a home run to dead center. Most on this board just don't realize it yet. They'll quickly change their tune

I'm starting to wonder if bbd24 might actually be Danny Ainge. :lol:
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#830 » by Afam » Sat Jul 4, 2015 6:54 am

So what are the big moves that Danny Ainge is looking to make ? I'm talking about the bulbett article. Can I get some names.

I don't see the big free agents in 2016 coming here via free agency. Even trades is iffy.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,863

Post#831 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:50 am

Afam wrote:So what are the big moves that Danny Ainge is looking to make ? I'm talking about the bulbett article. Can I get some names.

I don't see the big free agents in 2016 coming here via free agency. Even trades is iffy.

Who cares? The goal is to win 50 games and maybe win a playoff series. If you want to keep a free agent scorecard, go right ahead, but it's not relevant.

Teams will regret at least half the huge free agent signings that have just been made, not to mention the bloated contracts some teams have given their own free agents.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Afam
RealGM

Post#832 » by Afam » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:17 am

I keep a free agency score card because it's very important to our future. Since Danny Ainge has refused to tank, the only option we have to rebuild the Celtics are Free agency & Trades.

I don't think free agency is going to work because no one wants to come here since we have no star player on the team. Trades I don't see working well either because our assets are overrated. You can't even say draft and develop because our pick wouldn't be high enough to find a star player to develop. I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to wait 8 to 10 years hoping that Danny Ainge is successful in rebuilding the Celtics. I want results and not hope.

I also don't see the celtics winning 50 games. I have them at 45,47 wins.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#833 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:22 am

Afam wrote:I keep a free agency score card because it's very important to our future. Since Danny Ainge has refused to tank, the only option we have to rebuild the Celtics are Free agency & Trades.

The can also rebuild by drafting well and developing the players they have. As far as I'm concerned, the future is now. I expect 50+ wins. Wringing your hands accomplishes nothing.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Afam
RealGM

Post#834 » by Afam » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:23 am

Our only hope is to hope that the Nets totally tank. Furthermore, for our young players in Terry Rozier, Marcus Smart, James Young, Jordan Mickey to become all stars so we can trade them for an established player like Cousins.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#835 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:24 am

Afam wrote:Our only hope is to hope that the Nets totally tank. Furthermore, for our young players in Terry Rozier, Marcus Smart, James Young, Jordan Mickey to become all stars so we can trade them for an established player like Cousins.

Oh please. What have Cousins and Love ever won? And if Smart, Mickey and Young become all stars, wouldn't you rather keep them?

Afam
RealGM

Post#836 » by Afam » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:26 am

I agree on developing. Not so much on drafting. We not that bad of a team to be picking in the bottom of the lottery. Sucks though. Even if we end up getting a star player like Cousins etc, I will still think Danny Ainge did it the harder way.
Afam
RealGM

Post#837 » by Afam » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:31 am

Curmudgeon wrote:
Afam wrote:Our only hope is to hope that the Nets totally tank. Furthermore, for our young players in Terry Rozier, Marcus Smart, James Young, Jordan Mickey to become all stars so we can trade them for an established player like Cousins.

Oh please. What have Cousins and Love ever won? And if Smart, Mickey and Young become all stars, wouldn't you rather keep them?

Put Smart, Mickey and Young in the western conference and that should answer your question.

Second part of the question, even if they develop into nice players, It still wouldn't prevent me from trading them for Cousins, Love or any established player. Think of Al Jefferson & KG comparison.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#838 » by Pacino62 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 10:18 am

humblebum wrote:I'm getting attacked from every angle, of course I have to address backstory, kids around here riding my.... LMAO If it weren't for these dudes sweating this tanking nonsense all season and making themselves like all silly like I would never have to address it. As far as I'm concerned, I keep obliterating people with each passing year and debate.

So moving, on Bradley for Koufos anyone? Showcase a Sullinger or an Olynyk, make an in-season move or a couple moves and see how far you can get in the EC playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised by a first round win so long as the Celtics don't draw Cleveland or Milwaukee (who's not a great matchup for the Celtics at current, but Amir/Jonas give me some hope we can contend with their length better this season).

Young is the guy, IMO. I think he's the real deal and have felt that way since KY. I'm also intrigued as heck by Rozier, can't wait to see how his "burst" translates to the SL speed. Having Smart and Pressey to play with in SL should help a ton out of the gates for all these guards and perimeter players.

I would move Bradley for Koufas in a minute. I've been with you on the Koufas wagon for a long ride and I'm still holding out hope. The only issue I see after that is the logjam at PF/C. We can't showcase Sully and KO if we can't keep them on the court. We need a consolidation trade with our bigs as well. It's crazy how many players are on this roster. What's crazier is that, besides the unknown of the rookies, these guys are all NBA players. I mean, not one of them shouldn't get rotational minutes somewhere in the league.

There's got to be two more trades before the season ends. One for a big (Koufas) the other for some real shooting in the backcourt. The ideal backcourt rotation would be Smart, IT, Rozier and a sharp shooter. No idea who that could be, but a Bellinelli type.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,973

Post#839 » by sam_I_am » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:23 pm

I don't mean to be an Ainge apologist but we are not ready to bring in KG and Ray Allen down side of career types. That ship sailed when Danny blew it up. That kind of move now is what the Knicks do and leads to mediocrity and worse.

The guys we needed were all RFAs: Butler, Kawhi, and Harris (if you believe in his upside).
The bigs we needed Love, Gasol who are young enough and elite aren't moving.
The only great FAs changing teams are DJ and ?LMA and they are Texas guys who want to go home. Frankly, I am intrigued by DJs athleticism but when I think of the stat that 32% of free agent signings flop I think he is primo candidate to be that guy. I would love LMA and so would Ainge but it isn't realistic. It isn't because "FAs" don't want Boston - it is LMA that doesn't want Boston.

As far as Monroe - I don't want another Al Jefferson type big that can't defend hogging the cap. Detroit was stupid not to trade him last year. If we wanted Monroe - we should have traded for him at deadline because the message from free agency is that players resist change unless they want to be close to their mamas. Whether or not that is really the plan, it is apparent that we have picks and expiring soon to make it happen. What we need now is to let some young guys look like players other teams want.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,650

Post#840 » by Green89 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:31 pm

Roddy wrote:There are some good players availables :

-Jordan Hill
-Gerald Green
-JR Smith
-Enes Kanter
-Josh Smith ( :-? )
-Davis West
-Bismack Biyombo
-Aaron Brooks
-Joel Anthony ( :lol: )
-KJ McDaniels
-Luis Scola
-Dorell Wright
-Reggie Evans
-Chuck Hayes
-Greg Stiemsma
-Kevin Seraphin

Kanter seems like the best here, but OKC balked at how much he is asking, so not sure if Danny can pay him. A sign and trade would be nice. His defense needs work, but he showed last year he can be a big numbers guy on offense.

Return to Boston Celtics