ImageImageImage

Dallas Pick De-Valued with DeAndre Jordan going there

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Dallas Pick De-Valued with DeAndre Jordan going there 

Post#1 » by Jammer » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:49 pm

Should have offered the Dallas pick for a Top 10 pick in addition to whatever else was necessary.

Too late now.

DeAndre Jordan is going to Dallas.

Replaces Tyson Chander, who has agreed to go to Phoenix.

FYI: The Dallas pick is Top 7 protected thru 2020, and unprotected in 2021, but the Celtics will probably get it next year with Nowitski and DeAndre Jordan there.
Crossy2008
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

Re: Dallas Pick De-Valued with DeAndre Jordan going there 

Post#2 » by Crossy2008 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:55 pm

I am still not sold that it is going to be a late first rounder. The still don't have a PG, Matthews is still a question mark, Dirk is going to be less useful, and Jordan won't have Paul lobbing him the ball. The west is still tough.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#3 » by brackdan70 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:55 pm

A lot of this still have to go right for the Mavs to make the playoffs. A really old Dirk needs to stay healthy and effective. DJ has to be at least the player he was last year with improved FT%, Mathews has to stay healthy (track record for town achilles is not good), and Parsons has to play well on both sides.
Sign here
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,509

Post#4 » by VeryMuchWoke » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:01 pm

This: http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

DeAndre is overrated. He's not significantly better than Chandler, if at all. On the other hand Carlisle will probably do a good job with him.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,667

Post#5 » by NuckyPowell » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:06 pm

They will have no bench. Dirk is ancient. They have no PG. No telling how Mathews will come back from his achilles injury. They will be weak at PG. Actually, this probably ensures that we'll get their pick. They were in jeopardy of really sinking. Their pick was top 7 protected. I'm not sure they even have enough to make the playoffs right now, but they at least won't be bottom seven. I think their pick will be in the 12-16 range (maybe they squeak into the 8th spot in the west.)
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#6 » by Tenbomber » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:11 pm

iTalkToTheLord wrote:This: http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

DeAndre is overrated. He's not significantly better than Chandler, if at all. On the other hand Carlisle will probably do a good job with him.

Maybe Carlisle can shoot free throws for him ?

No wait ...that didn't work for Rondo?

Cuban has sucked at adding new players to surround Dirk with...and Dirks long grey beard is getting grayer too....

I think Dallas will provide us with a good pick come next summer...

Think Dallas is on the decline...
illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Post#7 » by illmatic24 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:15 pm

The pick has protection on it so it's probably a good thing Jordan went there. Otherwise they're likely a top 10 team considering Dirk's age and their lack of depth and the pick potentially gets put off for who knows how long. It's not like we were landing a potential top 5 pick if Jordan didn't sign with them. We want them to be merely okay. If they add a guy like Lawson, then yeah, the pick will probably suck. As of right now, it's probably in the 13-20 range. If they don't make any more major additions and one of their main 3 guys goes down for a while, it could be in the 10-15 range. I'll gladly take that.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#8 » by ParticleMan » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:17 pm

really depends on how much dirk continues to decline.

i think they will be better off (unfortunately) with headcase rondo and chucker ellis gone. the question is, who is going to score on that team? i don't think dirk can carry them anymore. parsons isn't a go-to guy. DJ is an upgrade over chandler but not by that much and he doesn't give you much more offense.
Payney
Freshman
And1: 53

Post#9 » by Payney » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:17 pm

We will get the 12th oick. DAJ will struggle without a CP3, Dirk has gone way downhill, Mathews will struggle half the season, Parsons overated and their bench as shallow as a heats fans gene pool.

Plus...the west
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#10 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:28 pm

If you're relying on Deandre to score 20 PPG a game, you're in trouble. No chance Dallas makes the playoffs, and this signing now ensures they won't be bad enough to tank into the top 7.

Chandler's knees are shot, and he needs microfracture surgery soon. Wes Matthews is only a few months off of a torn ACL, and will not be the same this year. Dirk is strictly a jump shooter now. That team, as currently constituted, will give us a pick in the 12-14 range.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,069

Post#11 » by Ben-N1ce » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:33 pm

Im not too impressed with that roster because they are in the West. By no stretch are they a playoff lock. CP3 definitely benifitted Jordan a lot.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#12 » by gocelts » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:00 pm

Dallas will be about the same if not worse next year....not counting on their pick anyway.
~gocelts
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#13 » by ParticleMan » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:04 pm

it's only top-7 protected. i can't imagine they will drop that low unless they get very lucky with the ping pong balls.

i would be very happy with a late lottery pick in exchange for rondo. getting crowder and some extra picks is just a bonus.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#14 » by ddb » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:17 pm

Its not like they are a juggernaut. ..No worries on the picks until later this year..
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#15 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:24 pm

The Mavs made the playoffs last season. Oklahoma is the only if-reasonably-healthy lock to move from the lottery to the playoffs in the West. Portland could fall into the lottery.

So the Mavs certainly have a solid chance of making the playoffs again.

Their downside is the issues mentioned in this thread. Their upside is that Jordan is young enough to get better, and Parsons of course could/should rebound.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Re: 

Post#16 » by brackdan70 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:28 pm

Payney wrote:We will get the 12th oick. DAJ will struggle without a CP3, Dirk has gone way downhill, Mathews will struggle half the season, Parsons overated and their bench as shallow as a heats fans gene pool.

Plus...the west

Shallow as heat fan gene pool :)

well done
Sign here
cellar-door
Starter
And1: 1,095

Post#17 » by cellar-door » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:54 am

I think if anything this probably helps the Celtics. Yeah there is a chance that Dallas makes the playoffs this year, but if they didn't get DeAndre they were supposedly going to tank. In the West that probably means they get a top 7 pick and then build around a top pick and a ton of cap space next year, which could be even better than DeAndre.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#18 » by return2glory » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:43 am

Dirk is a year older and already had an off year for him. Jordan can't score. They don't have enough scorers on that team. So we will see.

I feel losing Ellis is big for them because Monte is better at creating his own shot than Matthews.
TruthBucket
Junior
And1: 289

Post#19 » by TruthBucket » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:50 am

Dallas is still a legit threat to miss the playoffs. I don't know what they're trying to do. This does not extend Dirk's window. I know they're desperate to do something....anything.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#20 » by 2Mas » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:51 am

Yeah, I think if DJ just makes sure that we get the pick. I was worried that Dallas was gonna be top 7 & we weren't gonna get it.

But still. Wes isnt a shot creator. Parsons is like an improved Jeff Green. Dirk is shot (looked terrible in the playoffs). Who's gonna be there pg? Harris & Felton?.

Dirk still won't be able to guard the P&R, they still got no shot creators & they won't make the playoffs. I'll take the 11th pick.

Return to Boston Celtics