ImageImageImage

Jared Sullinger showing real progress with his weight loss this summer

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Re: Jared Sullinger showing real progress with his weight loss this summer 

Post#381 » by truth18 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 9:07 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
truth18 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Where was it reported that he was winded in the first scrimmage?

Four or five Cs forum members went to the open practice and reported that, as well as claiming he looked generally unfit. Info should be in the training camp thread.

I went through the training camp thread and did not see anything of the sort.

RondoToKG wrote:Sullinger looks doughy

Crossy2008 wrote:My biggest take away from the scrimmage yesterday was that if PJIII wants to be on this team bad enough he will be. He has a good looking shot, and he is a freak athletically. Sully looked a little frustrated at times.

SeizeCoup wrote:Was at the open practice tonight. Can confirm, Sully is fat and out of shape. He was sucking wind, grabbing his shorts, and in general looked like a sloppy, taller version of Beckham jr. With that ridiculous hair don't.

Took me all of two minutes, man. :dontknow: But there are a few of the comments. Not going to waste my time finding the others. Maybe PM those dudes if you want a more in depth take.
YOU LOSE
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#382 » by Slartibartfast » Fri Oct 2, 2015 9:08 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Who knows? If he has been turning fat into muscle, his weight wouldn't change much. It's conditioning that really matters, not weight.

He doesn't look fat to you?

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,785

Post#383 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Oct 2, 2015 9:20 pm

truth18 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
truth18 wrote:
Four or five Cs forum members went to the open practice and reported that, as well as claiming he looked generally unfit. Info should be in the training camp thread.

Crossy2008 wrote:My biggest take away from the scrimmage yesterday was that if PJIII wants to be on this team bad enough he will be. He has a good looking shot, and he is a freak athletically. Sully looked a little frustrated at times.

SeizeCoup wrote:Was at the open practice tonight. Can confirm, Sully is fat and out of shape. He was sucking wind, grabbing his shorts, and in general looked like a sloppy, taller version of Beckham jr. With that ridiculous hair don't.

Took me all of two minutes, man. :dontknow: But there are a few of the comments. Not going to waste my time finding the others. Maybe PM those dudes if you want a more in depth take.

I couldn't find the quote from Siezecoup (which is the only really damning one) anywhere in the training camp thread. Can you tell me what page it's on?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
truth18
RealGM

Post#384 » by truth18 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 9:24 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
truth18 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

I couldn't find the quote from Siezecoup (which is the only really damning one) anywhere in the training camp thread. Can you tell me what page it's on?

Sigh. I don't really get why you need me to walk you through this, man, you've been here since 2004, but:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1401283&start=320#start_here

Was a few pages back, lol. Also, RondoToKG's comment was the first thing he said about the practice after he told us he was there. For that reason, I assumed it quite was noticeable.
YOU LOSE
truth18
RealGM

Post#385 » by truth18 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 9:28 pm

OT:
Spoiler:
but he's also correct about the hair unfortunately. Wtf is Sully doing?

Jae keeps the team's hair game inherently strong, but sometimes I worry about Marcus' choices as well, he's walking a fine line, but looks decent right now.

Jerebko GOAT hair though.

YOU LOSE
BakersDozen
General Manager
And1: 728

Post#386 » by BakersDozen » Fri Oct 2, 2015 10:49 pm

just checked in to see if ol fatass has been traded yet. Leaving disappointed.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#387 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Oct 2, 2015 11:04 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Who knows? If he has been turning fat into muscle, his weight wouldn't change much. It's conditioning that really matters, not weight.

He doesn't look fat to you?

Did he do that hair himself? Looks lopsided af lol.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#388 » by Parliament10 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 11:08 pm

Writebloc wrote:

If Sullinger were in the NFL, he'd be a nose guard playing at 325-- or more.

This is such a pollyanna take. He isn't in condition it's obvious. Plus, we are talking about basketball, 325 is ridiculous in today's NBA. He was winded in the first scrimmage. Not a good look.

@ Curmudgeon – That's very inaccurate. Fat into Muscle, would be a serious transformation, and process. In any event, Muscle is far denser, and thus, leaner.

@ Writebloc – I'm with you on the Sully things. He's unquestionably out of shape.
325 lbs in the NBA is a little bit big, but there have been some successful players who were heavier. Shaq, Eddy Curry, Olivier Miller.
Though most needed to cutdown to be more effective.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,948

Post#389 » by Drax » Sat Oct 3, 2015 9:51 am

I'll be so hyped once we have some actual games going on, this topic is getting boring. We need some more fire Danny Ainge topics after the rookies don't perform in preseason and we see a random post lottery pick getting 25 points in a preseason game.

Give Sullinger a break and resume once he played some actual NBA games. ...
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#390 » by GuyClinch » Sat Oct 3, 2015 5:52 pm

Sullinger can come in off the bench in short spurts. The guy has talent; the guy is overweight. This board has an unhealthy obsession with wishing and hoping. If we had a nickel for everytime we heard about how Rondo is going to improve his shooting and be perfect or how BBD/Sullinger would be awesome if they lost 50-100lbs - we would all be rich.

Sullinger is what he is.. A talented earth bound PF that's fat by NBA standard by fine by real world standards. Kinda surprised that he doesn't do a few cycles of roids..and quit before the season starts. That would be the easy way to get paid. Got to give him some credit for that..
ryaningf
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,738

Post#391 » by ryaningf » Mon Oct 5, 2015 2:28 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/8V6TfjJoM4/[/instagram]
#Repost @jaredweissnba #Celtics ・・・ That little square with the green light on Jared Sullinger's back is one of the new measuring devices the NBA is using to monitor player health and performance.

...or they're slowly turning him into Iron Man.

Thanks for this. First confirmation I've seen that the Cs are using the GPS monitoring devices in practice. Great way to track data and quantify fatigue and onset of possible injuries. Can also quantify if somebody's conditioning changes as the season progresses, or if somebody's dogging it for whatever reason.

Between this and sleep monitors (which alas they probably aren't using team wide), Stevens could be crafting specific practice plans every day to best use practice time efficiently. Film and individual lifting on low sleep days, hard 2 hr practices when they're rested; and then pulling or pushing certain guys in practice depending how their fitness markers are coming back. Throw in some chest strap heart rate monitors (which some teams are using, don't know about the Cs) and they could even tweak exactly how hard they push them using heart rate variability (measure of the time between beats, which can be early markers for cardiovascular health, and show if a guy is getting enough sleep, eating right, partying too much, or just plain sick).
The leaks are real...the news is fake.

I'm just here for the memes.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#392 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:02 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/652859743158042624[/tweet]
...I realized that I’ve been so worried about what everybody says, and I wasn’t really worried about basketball. I think this year for the first time since my rookie year it’s all about basketball. I don’t care what anybody has to say. As long as I’m in my happy place, as long as I’m doing what I need to do and as long as I make strides to be the person I need to be for this basketball team to win, that’s the biggest thing.”

And that “thing” is unquestionably defense. For all his other points of contention — the need to improve in all areas of his game, in addition to his body — the main obstacle to Sullinger having a long and successful NBA career is guarding people. He will have to do that much better to be on the floor enough to have a true impact.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#393 » by sully00 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:43 am

Celts17Pride wrote:Pressed again on Sullinger's conditioning, Stevens added, "I think he has improved conditioning-wise. He’s still, and I think I’ve heard him say this, that he still wants to continue to grow in that area."

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4720469/camp-chronicles-rookies-get-road-map-to-playing-time

Doesn't sound like the Celtics are too pleased with Sully's conditioning. Not surprised.

This is the problem with this conversation. There is nothing negative in anything Stevens said. He is Brad Stevens.
"We’ve done some running, we’ve done all that stuff, and I think that [Sullinger] is running, especially in the running at the end [of practices], well," said Stevens. "I think we all probably need to continue to get into game shape. And I don’t expect anybody to be in game shape on Oct. 3. I think that’s part of the process of getting ready.

"He’s in a competition with a lot of guys for minutes, but he’s a good player and he’s done a lot of good things. I thought the other day he didn’t have the benefit of getting in the rhythm, because a couple of offensive fouls where -- the one he had Kelly [Olynyk] sealed and probably would have been a layup otherwise. And then our guys doubled him. He was the only guy they doubled in the post and he made great plays to Tyler [Zeller] and got Tyler a couple of open looks. So he’s playing pretty well, but again it’s stiff competition [in the frontcourt]."

If the team comes out and says they are pissed or disappointed that would be bad and worth talking about. But if they are saying exactly the opposite of that then what is the point of inferring they mean something else? How is the takeaway not that he is running well and running well at the end of practice and that he is the only guy on our team that draws a double team?
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,835

Post#394 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:53 am

sully00 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Pressed again on Sullinger's conditioning, Stevens added, "I think he has improved conditioning-wise. He’s still, and I think I’ve heard him say this, that he still wants to continue to grow in that area."

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4720469/camp-chronicles-rookies-get-road-map-to-playing-time

Doesn't sound like the Celtics are too pleased with Sully's conditioning. Not surprised.

This is the problem with this conversation. There is nothing negative in anything Stevens said. He is Brad Stevens.
"We’ve done some running, we’ve done all that stuff, and I think that [Sullinger] is running, especially in the running at the end [of practices], well," said Stevens. "I think we all probably need to continue to get into game shape. And I don’t expect anybody to be in game shape on Oct. 3. I think that’s part of the process of getting ready.

"He’s in a competition with a lot of guys for minutes, but he’s a good player and he’s done a lot of good things. I thought the other day he didn’t have the benefit of getting in the rhythm, because a couple of offensive fouls where -- the one he had Kelly [Olynyk] sealed and probably would have been a layup otherwise. And then our guys doubled him. He was the only guy they doubled in the post and he made great plays to Tyler [Zeller] and got Tyler a couple of open looks. So he’s playing pretty well, but again it’s stiff competition [in the frontcourt]."

If the team comes out and says they are pissed or disappointed that would be bad and worth talking about. But if they are saying exactly the opposite of that then what is the point of inferring they mean something else? How is the takeaway not that he is running well and running well at the end of practice and that he is the only guy on our team that draws a double team?

The team is not going to come out and say it and you know it. That would kill any trade value Sullinger has left. Sullinger is on the third string team and is the 5th big man. That's speaks volumes.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#395 » by jmr07019 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:04 am

sully00 wrote:

Stevens MO is to be Mr. Positive. He never says negative things about his players in the press.
Show Love Spread Love
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#396 » by sully00 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:25 am

Celts17Pride wrote:The team is not going to come out and say it and you know it. That would kill any trade value Sullinger has left. Sullinger is on the third string team and is the 5th big man. That's speaks volumes.

They may or they may not they said it when he went down with the injury and they didn't have to. The team made it an issue so they then have to manage the issue. I think the team still thinks they have a real talent on their hands that the conditioning issues is screwing with.

I just have a different perspective on what the team is doing with Sullinger. I think they feel he was a little entitled to his role and frankly the way the playoffs went that didn't have a reason to change. So bringing in Lee and sending Sully the message that they don't necessarily need him as much he thinks they do is important. I am all for the message.

He did put up 21 points and 10 rebounds in 26 mins in Europe. If he starts against BRK what does it say?
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#397 » by BfB » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:44 am

Yes, challenging that entitlement is key.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#398 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:13 pm

I think one of the interesting stories throughout this season will be Lee vs. Sully. He can say that it's not a rivalry but in truth Sully is really battling Lee for the starting 4 spot for next season I think. Barring a big time trade, there's not a lot in free agency at the 4. Either Sully gives us a compelling reason to believe that he is changed and can be relied upon at the 4, or we likely trade him and re-sign Lee. Lee is nothing short of a direct challenge to Sully. If he can even take parts of Lee's game and incorporate it into his and play with consistent effort he probably beats Lee out. But at this moment I'm not convinced he does.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#399 » by Elrod is Back » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:34 pm

If Danny wanted to move Sullinger, I wonder what he would fetch?

I would not worry about getting a player back; we have enough bodies. I would want a future no. 1 pick; 2020 or 2021 is fine. To get that pick would have to be at least top-10 protected. Also the Cs would probably have to chip in one or two of their 5 2016 no. 2 picks.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#400 » by peachbucket » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:If Danny wanted to move Sullinger, I wonder what he would fetch?

I would not worry about getting a player back; we have enough bodies. I would want a future no. 1 pick; 2020 or 2021 is fine. To get that pick would have to be at least top-10 protected. Also the Cs would probably have to chip in one or two of their 5 2016 no. 2 picks.

I would imagine there would be some takers for that around the league.

Return to Boston Celtics