ImageImageImage

Avery Bradley: MIP?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Re: Avery Bradley: MIP? 

Post#41 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks for bumping this thread, fascinating to think about.. I'd missed Bradley's MIP goal-setting from October.

I didn't expect him to be so good in the IT microwave role.. Great coaching move. Avery is humble enough to take the 'demotion' without stressing over it. He gets more touches against the other team's bench, which gives him the opportunity to try out more offensive moves and practice his repertoire. And pacing has always been a problem for him- he's got one gear on defense (crazy intense) that works well, but he hasn't figured out how to switch gears on offense.. Shorter bursts of court time could help. Love this development..

Such a hardworking kid, too, and an unusual career trajectory- he's still working hard after all these years, after he's supposedly past his developmental stage. I know his game's got flaws, but Avery Bradley is the kind of guy who would run headfirst into a brick wall over and over until the wall gave up.

Who IS the legit MIP candidate so far this year? There's a case for Drummond, but he was already good. Bradley Beal looks like he's realizing his potential. Gobert has a case after last season and this one..
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#42 » by Datruth345 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:51 pm

Kelly Olynyk & Jonas Jerebko better shooters than Avery Bradley? :lol: :lol:
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#43 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Datruth345 wrote:Kelly Olynyk & Jonas Jerebko better shooters than Avery Bradley? :lol: :lol:

??
2015-2016 eFG%
Avery Bradley - .538 (11.9 FGA/gm)
Jonas Jerebko - .516 (7.5 FGA/gm)
Kelly Olynyk - .463 (2.6 FGA/gm)
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#44 » by Writebloc » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:36 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Just because I get obsessed with small samples... here are Bradley's splits as a starter (6 games) and in a bench role (4 games):

He likely won't win MIP, but so far, he's improved his numbers after being "relegated" to the bench.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Scott_Souza/status/667839548865515520[/tweet]

Fascinating. AB just balls. I'm surprised his numbers have taken such a dramatic jump, and as you wrote it is a small sample size, but damn, those numbers are looking good. Doesn't hurt that he has been able to abuse Shane Larkin/Wayne Ellington, Ray Felton/Devin Harris, JET/Marcus Thorton, and DJ Augustin/Dion Waiters. Cast offs, throw-ins, retreads, and never were's if you have seen them. Still got love for Terry, but dude is past his prime. Really does prove the depth that Ainge and the front office has built into this team. Hopefully, Marcus isn't injured too badly and AB can keep killing'em as a heat'em up bench two.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#45 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:03 pm

If you like AB coming off the bench does it make sense to start Turner or even Hunter just to keep AB in this role which seems to be working for him or do you move him back to the starting lineup?
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#46 » by Writebloc » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:23 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:If you like AB coming off the bench does it make sense to start Turner or even Hunter just to keep AB in this role which seems to be working for him or do you move him back to the starting lineup?

Good question, I can see Evan Turner starting, he's a better ballhandler, has been a facilitator on this team, and his defense is at least average, if not slightly above. If AB has found a place to shine and IT loves being a starter let it ride, at this point it is amazing the depth this team has.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#47 » by BfB » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:31 pm

Marcus Smart isn't coming out of the starting lineup Smart/IT and ET/Bradley are your best pairings
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#48 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:25 pm

BfB wrote:Marcus Smart isn't coming out of the starting lineup Smart/IT and ET/Bradley are your best pairings

He is if he's injured.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#49 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:

Who IS the legit MIP candidate so far this year? There's a case for Drummond, but he was already good. Bradley Beal looks like he's realizing his potential. Gobert has a case after last season and this one..

Drummond, Giannis, Fornier, Favors

I'd say Fornier has the best argument. I doubt Avery Bradley has a chance at winning MIP, much more likely for 6MOY.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#50 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:04 am

Fournier is making the biggest jump/surprise, Beal, Drummond and Favors are just living up to expectations.. Giannis is somewhere in between..
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#51 » by SMTBSI » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Not sure about MIP or how much more he has to improve, but I've maintained that he actually is basically a 40% 3pt shooter. He had that extended crazy cold stretch to start last year, where he hit 29 of his first 100. He shot .395 the year before that on 200 attempts, and .382 since then on 296 attempts.

I know that you can't just arbitrarily snip out the chunks of data you don't like. I really do. But my eye told me that there was something up during that stretch, and the 296 and counting attempts since then seem to be bearing it out.

(Course, there's nothing tremendously special about .382 either. But with his work ethic I'm sure he can tack on another percent or two before all is said and done.)
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#52 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:38 pm

If he can become an all-defensive team type Kevin Martin for this franchise at his contract, that would be perfect.

More of this tonight please, AB.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkyO7dz41lQ[/youtube]
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,624

Post#53 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:34 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:If he can become an all-defensive team type Kevin Martin for this franchise at his contract, that would be perfect.

Bunch of long 2s in there. :) But a nice variety of other shots as well.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#54 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Spoiler:
ConstableGeneva wrote:If he can become an all-defensive team type Kevin Martin for this franchise at his contract, that would be perfect.

I'm actually among those who don't mind those midrange jumpers by Avery. I don't think Brad Stevens doesn't mind either since they keep freeing AB up to take those. I haven't checked the numbers but I can imagine he's above league average from that range. When analytic-driven defenses leave that 18-20 feet range unguarded, it's good to know the team has a more than reliable shooter from that distance.

Yes, the more variety from Bradley, the better. Backcuts, fastbreak layups off turnovers, dribble pullups, rhythm threes, etc. The one thing I've stopped expecting from him is getting to the FT line more.
illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Post#55 » by illmatic24 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:55 pm

At this point it would be hard to trade Bradley even if you got a low lottery to mid first round pick for him. Not that they need anymore first rounders, just using that as an example. But with the way Smart is hurt all the time, they really need Bradley to step in and play well and he's doing just that. Plus he's motivated to better himself and he's a big reason why the defense is playing so well. It would be tough to lose a guy like that.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,624

Post#56 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:02 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm actually among those who don't mind those midrange jumpers by Avery. I don't think Brad Stevens doesn't mind either since they keep freeing AB up to take those. I haven't checked the numbers but I can imagine he's above league average from that range. When analytic-driven defenses leave that 18-20 feet range unguarded, it's good to know the team has a more than reliable shooter from that distance.

Yes, the more variety from Bradley, the better. Backcuts, fastbreak layups off turnovers, dribble pullups, rhythm threes, etc. The one thing I've stopped expecting from him is getting to the FT line more.

Unless he's hitting them at a 50%ish rate, which I doubt he is, him taking the shot doesn't represent a great possession.

That said, if the possession is basically being well-defended, that might be a decent bail-out option as bail-out options go.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#57 » by SMTBSI » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:That said, if the possession is basically being well-defended, that might be a decent bail-out option as bail-out options go.

This actually gets at a theory of mine, as to why the midrange shot has become somewhat undervalued.

No NBA team can go max-effort for 48 minutes straight; even teams with good depth like ours pick and choose their spots to ratchet up the pressure and try to go on a run.

I've always felt that good midrange shooting is an effective mechanism by which to weather those runs and minimize their damage. When the other team cranks up the defensive pressure to unsustainable levels, you want a couple guys who can reliably get you ~1pps to keep them from pulling away too much.

Basically, don't keep bashing your head against a brick wall - just get to the weak spots in the defense and make sure the potential 10-0 run is in reality only a 10-5 run.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,443

Post#58 » by SichtingLives » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:28 pm

A mid-range jumpshot will always be a good shot for a good shooter, obviously tailored to the right situations. It's the ultimate offensive bailout and easy bucket for $hit possessions (or sometimes good possessions) and much more so come postseason when you don't get to cherry pick opportunities. You never want to discourage your shooters from passing up their strengths in the flow of the offense. The idea is to get a good look for every shot you take and that will put you in the best position to maximize efficiency. Ideally that's more threes for good three point shooters but ideally isn't something that happens all the time on a basketball court. The shot has its time and place for sure but it still has value and fwiw Avery can stick these with a hand in his face. Very valuable skill to have for a team that has been dogged by a lack of athleticism and had a tough time drumming up decent shots in the face of amped up defense in recent years.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,996

Post#59 » by UGA Hayes » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:02 pm

That's right avery, keep building that trade value.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#60 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:28 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/HoopsHabit/status/670624081096663040[/tweet]

Return to Boston Celtics