ImageImageImage

Ass of Shame: Celtics 101 @ Nets 111 (7-6)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Who **** us tonight?

Stevens
18%
Crowder
2%
Johnson
4%
Sullinger
2%
Thomas
2%
Olynyk
No votes
Turner
6%
Jerebko
30%
Lee
14%
Other (specify)
22%

Total votes: 50

DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Re: Ass of Shame: Celtics 101 @ Nets 111 (7-6) 

Post#61 » by DarkAzcura » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:01 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:I personally LOVE seeing two or three different points of view being discussed -- that's why I come here almost every day. However, I dislike it with my gut when someone only has one thing to say, and does it in a way that feels as if they were shoving their P.O.V. down your throat.

Guys are the other side are just as bad, tho. And at least Banners is talking about the team.

Oh come on. People on the 'other side' do not provoke you all nearly as much. You should be able to understand that Banners coming here literally only after losses is trolling and provoking by simply that nature. He's past the point of simply talking about the team. He comes across as someone who only lives to provoke and rattle people who would like to view the team relatively positive. I think you have become a tad bit negative over the last year, but you are not even close to that level. You are actually insiteful. I like hearing multiple points of view, and I used to scan the tank thread to get grounded every now and then. Banners is a pure troll at this point, and you should know better than to pretend like people on the other side are just as bad as him. Don't support him just because he was on your side last year. **** posting like him after only losses does nothing for the community here no matter how on point he may seem to you.

I am pissed that they lost. I want better talent on this team in general. I hate that they even thought they could come out and win with that first half performance. But whatever. I like this team still, and literally coming here to vent only after losses does nothing but provoke. It's not constructive and it never has been. At this point it comes across as someone from the opposite team's forum coming here to gloat after a Celtics loss. It ruins every thread with everyone jumping down his throat (rightfully most of the time). I try to ignore it, and I have for like a year now, but this is just ridiculous.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#62 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:58 am

DarkAzcura wrote:
Spoiler:
Oh come on. People on the 'other side' do not provoke you all nearly as much. You should be able to understand that Banners coming here literally only after losses is trolling and provoking by simply that nature. He's past the point of simply talking about the team. He comes across as someone who only lives to provoke and rattle people who would like to view the team relatively positive. I think you have become a tad bit negative over the last year, but you are not even close to that level. You are actually insiteful. I like hearing multiple points of view, and I used to scan the tank thread to get grounded every now and then. Banners is a pure troll at this point, and you should know better than to pretend like people on the other side are just as bad as him. Don't support him just because he was on your side last year. **** posting like him after only losses does nothing for the community here no matter how on point he may seem to you.

I am pissed that they lost. I want better talent on this team in general. I hate that they even thought they could come out and win with that first half performance. But whatever. I like this team still, and literally coming here to vent only after losses does nothing but provoke. It's not constructive and it never has been. At this point it comes across as someone from the opposite team's forum coming here to gloat after a Celtics loss. It ruins every thread with everyone jumping down his throat (rightfully most of the time). I try to ignore it, and I have for like a year now, but this is just ridiculous.

He's talking basketball. That's not trolling, and especially not in a freaking Ass of Shame thread after a loss to the freaking Nets. If people don't like his takes, I honestly think that's their problem. Furthermore, it's the people like Writebloc that are *clearly* the trolls here.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#63 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:58 am

I posted in two different threads worrying about a trap game, and about the difficulty of sweeping home-and-homes.

Sometimes I hate being right. :(
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#64 » by Writebloc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:21 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:
Spoiler:

He's talking basketball. That's not trolling, and especially not in a freaking Ass of Shame thread after a loss to the freaking Nets. If people don't like his takes, I honestly think that's their problem. Furthermore, it's the people like Writebloc that are *clearly* the trolls here.

Cave you're just as bad as Banners, you only hide it somewhat better. Basketball is a Trojan horse for you to take an ego trip everytime you come on to this board. You don't care about the Celtics, you stopped long ago, you're just team Cave at this point. You've started rooting for some fantasy team that tanked last year and can't get off that island. It's sad when the gold standard of tanking seems to both proving on a nightly basis that that model is not workable. Congratulations, the "bitter" for your party of one will be out right after the know one cares what you say.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Post#65 » by DK-All Day » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:19 am

I blame the fans at the Garden chanting "Brooklyn Draft picks" on Friday. Why give a professional basketball team bulletin board material? I haven't seen the Nets give that much effort all season.
Handsome.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#66 » by jirrit » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:26 am

BannersOnly wrote:We've been drafting outside of the Top 5 for years now and have yet to land a bonafide STUD we can build around. You have to go back to the Pierce draft to find the last true STUD we drafted. Sure, Rondo and Big Al were good but we need a true elite talent like a young Pierce. That's why I can't get excited about all those picks we have except th Brooklyn picks. That's why losing tonite has me pissed.

Pierce, Al and Rondo aren't top 5 picks either so excellent strategy by Danny here. 8-)
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#67 » by DarkAzcura » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:
Spoiler:

It's not about disliking takes. It's about how he handles himself. Coming here after losses to gloat and talk about how he was so right is trolling. Ever see him after a win? I haven't. Not in a long time. If he actually contributed beyond the losses, I couldn't care less, but he doesn't. It is the pure definition of trolling.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,692

Post#68 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Well first off the Celtics took about 80% of the game off and when a team does that, no matter who their opponent is, it almost always does not end well.

I know the nets may not be the best example but in a vacuum these two games against the nets are exactly what this team is: they will look like world beaters one game, and the very next game they will look like they they have never played together. There is a reason why this team will either win by 15 or losses by 10.
*Insert witty signature here.*
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#69 » by 165bows » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Writebloc wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:
Spoiler:

Cave you're just as bad as Banners, you only hide it somewhat better. Basketball is a Trojan horse for you to take an ego trip everytime you come on to this board. You don't care about the Celtics, you stopped long ago, you're just team Cave at this point. You've started rooting for some fantasy team that tanked last year and can't get off that island. It's sad when the gold standard of tanking seems to both proving on a nightly basis that that model is not workable. Congratulations, the "bitter" for your party of one will be out right after the know one cares what you say.

If you feel someone is trolling just report them, like it or not that is how this place works.

People might think their way is better or the usual options aren't for them but believe me multiple pages on the nuances of who is and isn't trolling is not an improvement over the prescribed kindergarten-tell-the teacher method (which is saying a lot about the level of enjoyable-ness of the who-is and-isn't a troll debate).

Any more personal insults and we'll just need to cue up the discipline on this.

-165bows
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#70 » by Writebloc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:39 pm

165bows wrote:
Writebloc wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

If you feel someone is trolling just report them, like it or not that is how this place works.

People might think their way is better or the usual options aren't for them but believe me multiple pages on the nuances of who is and isn't trolling is not an improvement over the prescribed kindergarten-tell-the teacher method (which is saying a lot about the level of enjoyable-ness of the who-is and-isn't a troll debate).

-165bows

Seems like cherry picking, but point taken...
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#71 » by radcot » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Voted "other" because, while I like singling out one player to smoke the cigar in victory, I don't like singling out one player to get the ass. This was a bad loss, and there was plenty of blame to pass around. I wasn't surprised by the loss, though. Happens all the time in home-and-homes - especially when the first game is a blow out. One team gets complacent; the other gets hungry. Human nature.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#72 » by Banks2Pierce » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:46 pm

With Smart out going forward, I think Hunter has to be the one getting minutes. Jerebko is still being stuffed into a role that he has no chance in at the 3. I'd rather play Jonas/Kelly together at the big positions, but David Lee's token unearned minutes should just mean Jerebko on the bench and more Hunter. Less Jerebko at the 3 could also mean a better spot for Rozier to excel in.

The biggest point in the game for me was when Amir was subbed in for Olynyk 1st half and we were left with a Rozier/Turner/Jerebko/Lee/Amir lineup. It was 1 minute and 30 seconds and a 2 point deficit was turned into 12. Rozier looked bad in there, but that lineup is in complete opposition to what has been good about the Celtics since February of last year. Non-stretch bigs, 2 decent defenders for their position, no familiarity, no good fast break players. There is no choice here. If we are going to play Lee, we have to have Jerebko, Olynyk, or Sullinger at the 4 and anyone but Jerebko at the 3.

Anyone else notice how much Johnson was ignoring Turner when Turner/IT were in the game together and ET was off-ball? Also, hack-a-RHJ in the 4th was so weird. We had gotten the lead down to 4, RHJ was a ~70% FT shooter in college, and we never got as close as 4 again. WTF. Unless Scal was wrong?
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#73 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Banks2Pierce wrote:With Smart out going forward, I think Hunter has to be the one getting minutes. Jerebko is still being stuffed into a role that he has no chance in at the 3. I'd rather play Jonas/Kelly together at the big positions, but David Lee's token unearned minutes should just mean Jerebko on the bench and more Hunter. Less Jerebko at the 3 could also mean a better spot for Rozier to excel in.

The biggest point in the game for me was when Amir was subbed in for Olynyk 1st half and we were left with a Rozier/Turner/Jerebko/Lee/Amir lineup. It was 1 minute and 30 seconds and a 2 point deficit was turned into 12. Rozier looked bad in there, but that lineup is in complete opposition to what has been good about the Celtics since February of last year. Non-stretch bigs, 2 decent defenders for their position, no familiarity, no good fast break players. There is no choice here. If we are going to play Lee, we have to have Jerebko, Olynyk, or Sullinger at the 4 and anyone but Jerebko at the 3.

Anyone else notice how much Johnson was ignoring Turner when Turner/IT were in the game together and ET was off-ball? Also, hack-a-RHJ in the 4th was so weird. We had gotten the lead down to 4, RHJ was a ~70% FT shooter in college, and we never got as close as 4 again. WTF. Unless Scal was wrong?

That RHJ foul and sticking with zone long after BK subbed in shooting and started having success with Joe Johnson getting AB on him defensively colored me unimpressed with Brad last night. You can abandon the gimmicks once you've got it under 10 with plenty of time to go.

Couldn't agree more on Jerebko at the 4 or not at all. He's okay switching on to 3's once in awhile, but he's not quick enough to play team D at the 3, and he exacerbates our collective skill deficiency in a big way offensively. Lee is so pointless on this team. Just bench him and treat him like the salary ballast he is.

And for goodness sakes, never play IT and ET together. ET should be starting (better defender against starting guards) and playing 20mpg. IT should be coming off the bench to work with an all-shooting group like AB/Hunter/Jerebko/Olynyk.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#74 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Just a pretty poor effort all around. Other than Bradley and IT, too few of our players managed to score points. We turned the ball over and the last 5 mins of the game, I must say the refs made a bunch of really questionable calls that sealed it for the Nets... It's just how it is, I've said it before, I'll say it again, this team needs more than 1 sscorer. Bradley stepped up tonight, but it was only him and IT scoring for the most part. We need a SF, that can score 18-20 poitns on any given night.

The defense wasn't all that great, but I do believe the refs could've called this a tad more even.. I honestly can't understand how a team like the Nets gets this many calls against us..
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#75 » by 165bows » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Writebloc wrote:
165bows wrote:
Writebloc wrote:

-165bows

Seems like cherry picking, but point taken...

Directed generally, quoting from a relevant spot.
BannersOnly
Starter
And1: 1,676

Post#76 » by BannersOnly » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:41 pm

There are plenty of posters to pump the team's tires after wins........it's good to balance out the discussion with posters like cave and myself who aren't shy and will spit some fire after losses. I'm not in here raining on people's parade when they are feeling good after wins.......you should in turn allow some of us to vent after pathetic and inexcusable losses like last night. Last night just shows this team's flaws and how far they are from being taken serious in this league. Don't hate the player......hate the game. I'm all about those Brooklyn picks.......its the ONLY thing that can save this joke of a rebuild Danny has going.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#77 » by jmr07019 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:07 pm

Writebloc wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:He's talking basketball. That's not trolling, and especially not in a freaking Ass of Shame thread after a loss to the freaking Nets. If people don't like his takes, I honestly think that's their problem. Furthermore, it's the people like Writebloc that are *clearly* the trolls here.

Basketball is a Trojan horse for you to take an ego trip everytime you come on to this board. You don't care about the Celtics, you stopped long ago, you're just team Cave at this point. You've started rooting for some fantasy team that tanked last year and can't get off that island.

Agree with Writebloc 100%
Show Love Spread Love
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#78 » by Banks2Pierce » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:and he exacerbates our collective skill deficiency in a big way offensively. Lee is so pointless on this team. Just bench him and treat him like the salary ballast he is.

Yes, exactly. This league is at the point now where you have to be able to do most of your damage in that secondary pick and roll after the first action. Jonas on the floor taking up the position of a playmaker(even if it's just a few dribbles and a dish) is a killer and any spacing gravity he provides is evaporated because he is being guarded by quicker 3s.

Lee will get another shot next game, get a couple of buckets against Muscala and Houdini on his defensive rotations a couple of times and do just enough to stay in the team plans. Freaking Bass was phenomenal at timing his scoring outbursts to stay in the starting lineup and get Brad to tinker with the other parts.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#79 » by djFan71 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Wasn't able to watch this one live, and saw the score so I haven't had the stomach to queue up the replay yet. If I was a sane person, this should be the 1 game I don't watch this year. But, I know I'll probably end up watching it over the break... something's wrong with me. :crazy:
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#80 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Banks2Pierce wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:and he exacerbates our collective skill deficiency in a big way offensively. Lee is so pointless on this team. Just bench him and treat him like the salary ballast he is.

Yes, exactly. This league is at the point now where you have to be able to do most of your damage in that secondary pick and roll after the first action. Jonas on the floor taking up the position of a playmaker(even if it's just a few dribbles and a dish) is a killer and any spacing gravity he provides is evaporated because he is being guarded by quicker 3s.

Lee will get another shot next game, get a couple of buckets against Muscala and Houdini on his defensive rotations a couple of times and do just enough to stay in the team plans. Freaking Bass was phenomenal at timing his scoring outbursts to stay in the starting lineup and get Brad to tinker with the other parts.

Reminds me of 13/14 with Brad doggedly sticking with Wallace exclusively at the wing (Crash played a career high percentage of his minutes at the 2-guard that year, more than quadrupling his career average) when he was clearly incapable of doing anything offensively except as a small-ball 4.

Danny's decision to run 6 deep at the 4/5 AND bring back two unskilled combo forwards to play exclusively at the 3 still bewilders me. Why is Lee here? Why did we not move Zeller in the offseason once we added Amir?

Return to Boston Celtics