ImageImageImage

The Official Off-Season Thread, part I of many

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: The Official Off-Season Thread, part I of many 

Post#181 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon May 2, 2016 9:26 pm

Got no problems with letting Smart go. I like the guy and his competitiveness, but will he ever be as good as Butler is right now? I'm not so sure. The Cs need scoring help, a guy who can create his own shot. The guy isn't that great of a shooter, but he gets to the line 7 times a game, an amount that would have placed him above Isaiah.

Now, with that being said, if Chicago wants 3/16/Smart for Butler, before I say yes, I'm calling up the other 28 teams to see what that package gets the Cs. I'd try to counter with 3/23/31/Smart and see if they'd take that.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,940

Post#182 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 2, 2016 9:31 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I think we could be going after Okafor, honestly- and I could see the new Philly braintrust looking at Jahlil and pegging him as an offense only player, Al Jefferson or the Antawn Jamison of centers, and wanting to get rid of him. Bender/Noel could be a better fit for them in the front court, plus whatever offensive player(s) they might get with their own pick and free agency.

It's easy to get locked into a single draft class, but you have to put guys in the draft against guys available in trade. I still hate the Telfair trade years ago, but that could be the direction Danny goes in this year.

I'd like to see Okafor on the Celtics.
I wouldn't give up the Brooklyn pick though, unless it falls. We have 8 picks, Philly may be enticed to go for some others.
Who would we trade for him, though?:

Zeller and Sullinger are out the door. Unless, some kinda wacky S&T can be done.
James Young, needs to be somewhere. He may be able to branch out, over there.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#183 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon May 2, 2016 9:47 pm

Kick the tires on Derrick Favors. He's the closest thing you'll get to Cousins without the issues. He's a mobile athletic big who plays both ends of the floor and by all accounts, a hardworker. I don't think his talents are maximized in Utah's offense. He's also getting paid much less than what you'll have to shed for Whiteside or Horford. They probably won't break up the Gobert-Favors-Lyles frontcourt, but they would need to decide on who to keep. Some of their young guys and Hayward need to get paid soon. And they haven't even reached the playoffs with their current core.

Can the 3rd pick, another top 10 pick, and lesser picks + Amir get it done? Maybe look into moving Smart + Dallas pick + lesser assets (overvaluing Smart here but someone might bite so who knows) to a team who needs immediate help on the defensive end for their top 10 pick. Sacramento (8th), Denver (7th), and Minnesota (5th) all come to mind. Then flip that along with the Brooklyn pick for Favors if Jazz want to do another reset. I doubt Favors is available but no harm in asking.

I'm just throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. But the season made it clear to me we need a major upgrade up front more than the guard/wing position.

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-west/utah-jazz/the-case-for-trading-gordon-hayward-and-derrick-favors/

Dunno who the author is but in the article, we get to keep Smart, get Favors and Hayward too AND sign Durant lol. Utah gets a real shot at moving up for either Simmons or Ingram. His jumping off point was a pre-trade deadline Zach Lowe article making a case for trading Hayward and/or Favors for high lottery picks.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#184 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon May 2, 2016 9:48 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:I think we could be going after Okafor, honestly- and I could see the new Philly braintrust looking at Jahlil and pegging him as an offense only player, Al Jefferson or the Antawn Jamison of centers, and wanting to get rid of him. Bender/Noel could be a better fit for them in the front court, plus whatever offensive player(s) they might get with their own pick and free agency.

It's easy to get locked into a single draft class, but you have to put guys in the draft against guys available in trade. I still hate the Telfair trade years ago, but that could be the direction Danny goes in this year.

I wouldn't give up the Brooklyn pick though, unless it falls. We have 8 picks, Philly may be enticed to go for some others.

Zeller and Sullinger are out the door. Unless, some kinda wacky S&T can be done.

Okafor was the third pick last year. You're not getting him for Young/16/23. No idea what Philly would look to trade him for, actually.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#185 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon May 2, 2016 9:51 pm

CrowderKeg wrote:Kick the tires on Derrick Favors. He's the closest thing you'll get to Cousins without the issues. He's a mobile athletic big who plays both ends of the floor and by all accounts, a hardworker. I don't think his talents are maximized in Utah's offense. He's also getting paid much less than what you'll have to shed for Whiteside or Horford. They probably won't break up the Gobert-Favors-Lyles frontcourt, but they would need to decide on who to keep. Some of their young guys and Hayward need to get paid soon. And they haven't even reached the playoffs with their current core.

Can the 3rd pick, another top 10 pick, and lesser picks + Amir get it done? Maybe look into moving Smart + Dallas pick + lesser assets (overvaluing Smart here but someone might bite so who knows) to a team who needs immediate help on the defensive end for their top 10 pick. Sacramento (8th), Denver (7th), and Minnesota (5th) all come to mind. Then flip that along with our pick for Favors if Jazz want to do another reset. I doubt Favors is available but no harm in asking.

I'm just throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. But the season made it clear to me we need a major upgrade up front more than the guard/wing position.

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-west/utah-jazz/the-case-for-trading-gordon-hayward-and-derrick-favors/

In the article, we get to keep Smart, get Favors and Hayward too AND sign Durant lol. Utah gets a real shot at moving up for either Simmons or Ingram.

I love Favors, but he's basically in the same tier as Horford. Nagging injuries, lagging offensive development, great D, great rebounding, nice athlete. Not the superstar people thought he would be. I'd trade for him, maybe even with the Brooklyn pick, but.. is he really just in the wrong environment and ready to break out in Boston?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#186 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon May 2, 2016 10:06 pm

I could actually see Danny making that gamble, it's gutsy, it could be right to bet on him as a guy who can give you a dominant 20-10 under the basket, maybe next to Olynyk.. Ideally it wouldn't take the Brooklyn pick to get him, but it probably does.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#187 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 2, 2016 10:11 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I could actually see Danny making that gamble, it's gutsy, it could be right to bet on him as a guy who can give you a dominant 20-10 under the basket, maybe next to Olynyk.. Ideally it wouldn't take the Brooklyn pick to get him, but it probably does.

Who you talking about?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#188 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon May 2, 2016 10:38 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I love Favors, but he's basically in the same tier as Horford. Nagging injuries, lagging offensive development, great D, great rebounding, nice athlete. Not the superstar people thought he would be. I'd trade for him, maybe even with the Brooklyn pick, but.. is he really just in the wrong environment and ready to break out in Boston?

They may be on the same tier but Favors is five years younger and is only getting paid $23M total the next two seasons. He's not a superstar (there's only a handful of those anyway) but he's a shoo-in All-Star in the East. Favors will probably cost more than trading for Cousins but there's also a much lower risk that it won't work out. Stevens is a much better coach than Snyder and I don't doubt that Favors would further blossom under his system/tutelage.

Spoiler:
It's all idle talk and speculation. As far as I know, Favors isn't on the trading block and Jazz don't plan on resetting soon. But hey, it's more realistic than trading for Anthony Davis.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#189 » by Curmudgeon » Mon May 2, 2016 10:42 pm

It is wildly unlikely that Utah would trade Favors, even in a sweetheart deal.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#190 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon May 2, 2016 11:19 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:It is wildly unlikely that Utah would trade Favors, even in a sweetheart deal.

For a top 5 pick? When they need scoring desperately, and Gobert alone makes their defense so good that Favors is superfluous? I think they'd absolutely do it, and take someone like Kris Dunn or Murray or Ingram or even Hield..
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#191 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue May 3, 2016 12:05 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

Philly, unfortunately, has a ton of extra picks as well.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#192 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue May 3, 2016 3:32 pm

The best case scenario for us would be a trade down, like 3 for 7/Gallo, if Denver covets someone and we like a guy we know will be there at 7. Theoretically could happen with Philly, too, depending on lottery balls.

3 for 8/Cauley-Stein is my favorite scenario so far.

If we're past Simmons/Ingram, I don't love Bender or Hield. I like Dunn, but we don't need him. (We could take Dunn and trade Smart for Noel or Trill or Okafor, I guess). Someone lower in the draft, though, could very easily fall in love with Bender or Hield or Dunn or Murray and trade up, and if we think it's a 6 or 8 player tier, works perfectly.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#193 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 3, 2016 6:31 pm

Mods:
Any chance we could Stickie this Thread, and move that last Celtics Playoff Thread down?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,310

Post#194 » by Froob » Tue May 3, 2016 7:43 pm

truth18 wrote:Yeah, reading through this thread: I take it back. I'm going to assume we get Horford and JJ Hickson just so my dreams aren't crushed. Not that I ever thought we would get Durant but reading some of the "optimistic" trades in here is making me realize the huge potential for disappointment.

I've already accepted we're getting KD. I'm going to be devastated if we don't get LeBron too.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#195 » by FakeScreenName123 » Tue May 3, 2016 8:32 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:The best case scenario for us would be a trade down, like 3 for 7/Gallo

i googled 'best case scenario' to make sure I knew what that phrase meant after reading this. Damn, dude.
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#196 » by Writebloc » Tue May 3, 2016 8:42 pm

FakeScreenName123 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:The best case scenario for us would be a trade down, like 3 for 7/Gallo

i googled 'best case scenario' to make sure I knew what that phrase meant after reading this. Damn, dude.

Truth I have to...

No Gallo
No Sully
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#197 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue May 3, 2016 10:46 pm

This is admittedly pilfered a bit from Felger and Mazz, but say we signed Durant and Horforf-- what are the odds that those two, IT and Stevens could keep Cousins in line. Am I am idiot for thinking he'd listen to/respect KD and Horford, and that his good friend IT and Stevens could help keep his emotions in check?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#198 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue May 3, 2016 10:55 pm

FakeScreenName123 wrote:

So Bender at 3 beats Gallo and Skal at 7? ...
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#199 » by FakeScreenName123 » Tue May 3, 2016 11:04 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
FakeScreenName123 wrote:

So Bender at 3 beats Gallo and Skal at 7? ...

Um, I'd say to that: idk?

Feel like there's more options out there than just two. Feel like there's gotta be better/luckier ones, too. Like the possibility of getting the number 1 pick, still.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#200 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 4, 2016 12:26 am

WHAT!!!

Whiteside is coming back into this game???
Bad Idea.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics