ImageImageImage

Most Like to see Return?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Most like to see back, of those w/Guaranteed Contracts?

Isaiah Thomas
16%
Avery Bradley
16%
Jae Crowder
15%
Marcus Smart
15%
Kelly Olynyk
6%
Terry Rozier
12%
R.J. Hunter
8%
Jordan Mickey
11%
James Young
1%

Total votes: 170

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,788

Most Like to see Return? 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 2, 2016 1:14 am

2015-2016 Boston Celtics Player Report Cards
Rob Welch | 04-30-16

http://www.celticslife.com/2016/04/2015-2016-boston-celtics-player-report.html
Coming into the season, as a fan, would you have been pleased with 48 wins and a first round playoff exit after six games? I certainly would take the jump in W's from '14-'15 (40 wins), but the end was extremely discouraging, even with all the injuries to use as blame. It's kind of like having the best time at your own wedding, then you get food poisoning day three into the honeymoon.

Looking back there were a ton of memorable moments. Road wins in Cleveland, Oklahoma City, and Golden State stick out the most.

All that being said, here are the reports cards for your 2015-2016 Boston Celtics:

Celtics’ end-of-season report card
Mark Murphy Sunday, May 01, 2016

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/05/celtics_end_of_season_report_card
The Celtics, as a playoff team, ended up two wins better than the team that was swept by Cleveland in the first round last year.

Their 4-2 first-round series loss to Atlanta exposed a chain of weaknesses that were already apparent — lack of offensive depth chief among them. What follows is a breakdown of the progress — or decline — by each player over the second half of the season, with extra consideration given to playoff performances.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
3pt %
General Manager
And1: 2,675

Re: Player Report Cards, Boston Celtics 2015-16 

Post#2 » by 3pt % » Mon May 2, 2016 9:45 am

Oof, poor Young. At least he will always have that 2 seconds thinking Beyonce loved him.
Captain_Caveman wrote:Probably couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the C and the A.
galipeautim
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#3 » by galipeautim » Tue May 3, 2016 3:02 am

A: Thomas, Stevens
A-: Crowder
B+: Smart
B: Bradley, Turner
B-: Johnson, Jerebko
C+: Olynyk, Rozier
C: Sullinger
C-: Zeller, Mickey
D: Hunter, Lee
galipeautim
Rookie

Post#4 » by galipeautim » Tue May 3, 2016 3:16 am

Don't think Young, Hunter, or Zeller should be on the team next year. Young is no longer a prospect, Hunter looks beyond overmatched and utterly incapable of putting up a decent shot, nevermind making one, and Zeller had some decent moments but doesn't fit with the team.
Sullinger had his best year as a pro, but in the process proved he's not capable of handling his weight even in a contract year. Mickey looks great for a second rounder, but was incapable of earning minutes. Olynyk doesn't look like a rotation player on a contender, but his defense actually surprised me by being average.
I think Rozier will be good. Looked composed in limited minutes and found niches that enhanced his value (rebounding particular). Johnson and Jerebko are solid vets that I would bring back unless something great comes along.
Bradley and Turner both played about as well as I expected, which earned them a B. Both have really developed over the last 2 years.
That leaves the 3 guys I was most impressed with. Smart was phenomenal on defense and can change a game in multiple ways. Always feel like we have a shot at going on a massive run when he is on the court. Crowder developed into a stud two way player, which I absolutely did not expect (at a position we had nobody else). Thomas deserved his trip to the all star game and became a great recruiting pitch for Boston.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#5 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 4, 2016 12:41 am

galipeautim wrote:Don't think Young, Hunter, or Zeller should be on the team next year. Young is no longer a prospect, Hunter looks beyond overmatched and utterly incapable of putting up a decent shot, nevermind making one, and Zeller had some decent moments but doesn't fit with the team.
Sullinger had his best year as a pro, but in the process proved he's not capable of handling his weight even in a contract year. Mickey looks great for a second rounder, but was incapable of earning minutes. Olynyk doesn't look like a rotation player on a contender, but his defense actually surprised me by being average.
I think Rozier will be good. Looked composed in limited minutes and found niches that enhanced his value (rebounding particular). Johnson and Jerebko are solid vets that I would bring back unless something great comes along.
Bradley and Turner both played about as well as I expected, which earned them a B. Both have really developed over the last 2 years.
That leaves the 3 guys I was most impressed with. Smart was phenomenal on defense and can change a game in multiple ways. Always feel like we have a shot at going on a massive run when he is on the court. Crowder developed into a stud two way player, which I absolutely did not expect (at a position we had nobody else). Thomas deserved his trip to the all star game and became a great recruiting pitch for Boston.

I gotta agree with you on Young and Zeller. But Hunter, seems pretty good, as a 2nd Unit player, at the least. He needs more playing time.
Johnson, I wouldn't bring back.
Sullinger, if we bring him back, then something has gone seriously wrong.
Everyone else is pretty good.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#6 » by Edug27 » Wed May 4, 2016 1:02 am

galipeautim wrote:A: Thomas, Stevens

Smart a B+?? Higher than Bradley?? Are we talking the entire season or just the Hawks series?
galipeautim
Rookie

Post#7 » by galipeautim » Wed May 4, 2016 2:32 am

Edug27 wrote:
galipeautim wrote:A: Thomas, Stevens

Smart a B+?? Higher than Bradley?? Are we talking the entire season or just the Hawks series?

Expectations are factored into the grade and Bradley, while better this year, did not take a leap forward like many of the other guys. If Crowder were to have an identical season next year to the one he had this year then I would probably gove him a B-.

In addition, I thought Smart's energy was crucial to the Celtics season. I think I watched 50+ games and it always seemed like Smart would take over a game by himself with crazy rebounds, great steals and awesome drives. Albeit, he offset that a bit with terrible fouls and bad shots. But I think Smart's versatility and play making ability will make him a more dynamic player than Bradley.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#8 » by return2glory » Wed May 4, 2016 4:04 am

A: Thomas, Stevens
B: Crowder, Bradley
B-: Turner
C: Smart, Jerebko, Amir
C- : Sully, Zeller
D+: KO
N/A: Hunter, Rozier, Mickey, Young
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#9 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 4, 2016 8:02 pm

return2glory wrote:A: Thomas, Stevens

I gotta ask.:

1) Why does Smart only get a C?
2) KO, D+?
3) N/A for Young? This is his 2nd year. I give him an F, for lack of effort.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
return2glory
RealGM

Post#10 » by return2glory » Wed May 4, 2016 8:17 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

I gotta ask.:

1) Why does Smart only get a C?
2) KO, D+?
3) N/A for Young? This is his 2nd year. I give him an F, for lack of effort.

Smart was the worst shooter in the league. That's why I have him a C. He has got to improve his shooting from all over the court, not just 3's. He did a better job in the playoffs.

KO is mentally weak. There is no room for him in the playoffs. I said that before the playoffs started. I've seen enough of him to move on. If he doesn't get his mind at a level of peak performance, he will always be who he is. A role player that gets beat out by other role players on his team. Just ready to move on from the pump fake master and the best observer on people rebounding over him.

Young didn't get any minutes, not that he deserved any.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#11 » by Banks2Pierce » Wed May 4, 2016 8:42 pm

Olynyk has led the team in +/- per 36 for the last 3 seasons for players getting over 1000 minutes. I'd like to hear why you think that is a fluke. Please answer thoroughly and not in soundbyte form by saying buzz words like 'soft' and 'mentally weak.' If your issue is rebounding, please go into detail why it was such a big deal when the team's Defensive Rating was at it's best when Olynyk was on the court. Thanks!
return2glory
RealGM

Post#12 » by return2glory » Thu May 5, 2016 12:07 am

Banks2Pierce wrote:

Olynyk has led the team in +/- per 36 for the last 3 seasons for players getting over 1000 minutes. I'd like to hear why you think that is a fluke. Please answer thoroughly and not in soundbyte form by saying buzz words like 'soft' and 'mentally weak.' If your issue is rebounding, please go into detail why it was such a big deal when the team's Defensive Rating was at it's best when Olynyk was on the court. Thanks!

Those stats helped the Celtics a lot in the playoffs with KO the last two years, didn't they?

You can use any stat you want. I use the eye test among other things. KO leads the league in pump fakes and standing around and watching people rebound. Does the league keep stats for that? They don't have to. Celtic fans are seeing what KO is more and more.

Look at this thread and the votes. The fact that fans want Hunter, Mickey, and Rozier back more than KO says a lot.

Three years with the Celtics and people make excuses for him such as he is a role player. He spaces the floor, etc.

People saw that Jonas is almost KO's height and Jonas has more length, more heart, didn't get scared of big moments like KO did. Jonas provided more energy, much better rebounding than KO ever has. Jonas even spaced the floor just as well, if not better than KO.

My point is Jerebko who is a role player himself stepped up more than KO. In his 3 years in Boston, role players like Bass, Hump, Sully, Jerebko, David Lee, Amir Johnson have beach out KO for a starting job at one point or another. KO is easily replaceable.

Return to Boston Celtics