ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,154

Re: Jaylen Brown 

Post#521 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:50 pm

ParticleMan wrote:been out of internet contact but i'm sort of back and just wanted to say i'm SUPER stoked about jaylen. once it was clear bender wasn't going to set himself apart brown was my guy all the way. you guys are going to love this kid, just give him a chance and have a bit of patience.

the fact is only 3 guys in this draft have MVP potential and it's no coincidence they were the first 3 chosen. jaylen i'd argue might have the highest MVP potential of them all, but he is very raw and so yeah he has higher bust potential too. in our position we've got to swing for the fences, and jaylen is a total swing for the fences kind of pick. but given his tools, athleticism, and work ethic, his floor is pretty damn high too. it's just not going to happen right away.

jaylen is a potential STUD. gotta agree with Banners on this one. i will now don my winter coat here in hell.

These are exactly my thoughts. I hoped someone would really separate from the pack, and no one did. Hoped hype for Dunn, Bender, Hield, anyone would improve the value of the pick or be an obvious choice for us. The way the Bender hyped died down was disturbing.

Taking Dunn and to auction off would be dangerous - once we drafted him we'd have a logjam and the lowball offers would start. I worry he's just a glorified Smart. Hield was interesting but possibly one dimensional and undersized.

That leaves Bender vs Brown. The lack of noise after Bender's workouts was a red flag to me. I hoped he'd show some improved athleticism, but without that what's the upside? A decent all around big, but maybe not a star. Even if he's better than Porzingis at 18, does that necessarily mean he'll continue to develop? Taking an 18 year old who hasn't shown much at the next level is dangerous. Maybe's he's DaJuan Wagner or Cliff Alexander. Maybe he's Olynyk.

Of course the same and similar arguments apply against Brown, and he doesn't have Bender's size to fall back on. He's athletic and smart, but does he actually have much skill? Big bust potential.

Basically I think Brown has higher upside but lower floor compared to Bender (with Hield even safer but with lower upside) - at #3 anything less than a superstar is a failure to some extent, so I think I agree with the pick.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#522 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:54 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:But I'll say this, summer league can't get here fast enough. I'm looking forward to a starting lineup next season of

IT
Bradley
Jaylen
Crowder
Amir
I'm devastated that Smart's entire penetrations skills failed in the NBA and made him a horrible offensive project. But that is because he was earth bound. I have ZERO concerns about Jaylen being shut down due to having a lack of athleticism.

That's insanely depressing that our last 3 #1 picks can't knock a 5'9" PG, a 6'3" SG, or Amir Johnson out of the starting lineup.

Obviously Crowder at 4 isn't great longterm but hopefully all these guys can someday go to the bench where they belong as an amazing second unit. Brown is the first guy in a while that has a chance to be a starter on a contender.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,145

Post#523 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:57 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:But I'll say this, summer league can't get here fast enough. I'm looking forward to a starting lineup next season of

IT
Bradley
Jaylen
Crowder
Amir
I'm devastated that Smart's entire penetrations skills failed in the NBA and made him a horrible offensive project. But that is because he was earth bound. I have ZERO concerns about Jaylen being shut down due to having a lack of athleticism.

That's insanely depressing that our last 3 #1 picks can't knock a 5'9" PG, a 6'3" SG, or Amir Johnson out of the starting lineup.

Obviously Crowder at 4 isn't great longterm but hopefully all these guys can someday go to the bench where they belong as an amazing second unit. Brown is the first guy in a while that has a chance to be a starter on a contender.

You are depressed that our last couple picks couldn't knock an all star and a first team defender out of the starting lineup? Pretty unrealistic expectations. I suggest focusing more on results than on height. :P
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#524 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:58 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
GregB wrote:If we get Durant, Can Jaylen play SG or does Crowder have move to fulltime PF?

I have a feeling Crowder will be playing a lot more PF regardless, but yes, Brown could definitely play SG if necessary. Based on height, that is actually probably the right position for him, but with his length and size, he's fine at SF also. In a couple years, Brown will be able to swing between 2-4 pretty fine I bet.

In that situation it's all gravy and we sort it out later. Probably Jaylen rides the pine and develops and Crowder is 6th man or is traded.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#525 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:01 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
DelMonte West wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Sixer fans were afraid that Bryan would be desperate to put his mark on the process and give away Okafor for a 2nd tier prospect. despite all the rumors/posturing leading up to it, is seems like Jahlil was never offered.

This seems plausible to me. I bet Ainge asked for Okafor, Philly countered with Noel, and that was it. I think the risk of Noel walking in FA (to Boston) made Ainge hesitant to overpay. I think a semi-lowball offer of Smart for Noel makes sense for that reason.

Similarly I doubt that Crowder was a sticking point for Butler - it was probably the '17 Nets pick.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#526 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:18 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:
DelMonte West wrote:

This seems plausible to me. I bet Ainge asked for Okafor, Philly countered with Noel, and that was it. I think the risk of Noel walking in FA (to Boston) made Ainge hesitant to overpay. I think a semi-lowball offer of Smart for Noel makes sense for that reason.

Similarly I doubt that Crowder was a sticking point for Butler - it was probably the '17 Nets pick.

From what I read, the 76ers wanted Okafor for #3 straight up.

Ainge had 0 interest in Okafor.

Ainge wanted Noel and the Lakers pick.

76ers countered with Noel and Covnington. Ainge said he'd think about it. And eventually they offered Noel, Covington, 2 late firsts in this years draft.

Ainge demanded Noel or Lakers pick or nothing. 76ers gave up and sent out that frustrated leak to the press that Ainge has been playing hardball all month and he better come away with a trade for someone if that's how he's playing it.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#527 » by 24istheLAW » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:30 pm

chakdaddy wrote:Basically I think Brown has higher upside but lower floor compared to Bender (with Hield even safer but with lower upside) - at #3 anything less than a superstar is a failure to some extent, so I think I agree with the pick.

I'm the other way around on this one. I see Brown is the safer pick because he's got a man's body. worst he can play SG, SF, and some PF. But worry about the skill ceiling. Meanwhile, Bender seems to have basketball aptitude (passing, shooting, switching) which Brown hasn't shown, and he's a big. But if he doesn't develop physically none of it will matter.

I'm somewhat skeptical of Brown based on his college track record. But between the tools he has, and the coach/culture we have, I'm feeling the good vibes.

This team is all about physical, tenacious defense, unselfish play, etc. I have a good feeling about Stevens and the guys molding Brown into the terror he can be defensively, while nurturing the scoring instincts he has in the flow of the game. He couldn't have gone to a better place imo.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#528 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:40 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:

76ers countered with Noel and Covnington. Ainge said he'd think about it. And eventually they offered Noel, Covington, 2 late firsts in this years draft.

Ainge demanded Noel or Lakers pick or nothing. 76ers gave up and sent out that frustrated leak to the press that Ainge has been playing hardball all month and he better come away with a trade for someone if that's how he's playing it.

Asking for the Lakers pick is crazy , that's practically worth the #3 straight up. A shame we couldn't get that from Phoenix. It's appalling how that franchise passed out draft picks like candy except to us. That pick would have been a better asset than IT4.

Except... they'll keep winning the lottery until the protection runs out and it's the 20th pick by then...
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#529 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:43 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:

I think Boston would have been a great place for Okafor, the Celtics pretty much cover Okafor's defensive weaknesses.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#530 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:48 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:

IT
Bradley
Jaylen
Crowder
Amir

You are depressed that our last couple picks couldn't knock an all star and a first team defender out of the starting lineup? Pretty unrealistic expectations. I suggest focusing more on results than on height. :P

Hell yes. As good as those guys are they're 6th men with no business starting on contenders.
DarkAzcura
General Manager

Post#531 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:55 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:

Hell yes. As good as those guys are they're 6th men with no business starting on contenders.

I think we talked about this, but I completely and utterly disagree. I still don't get how people can think this especially regarding IT. Bradley, sure. But what is it gonna take for some Celtic fans to properly rate IT? Does he gotta go out there and carry a team to a championship? How can't a 21/7 player be a starter on a contender? Every other guard who posts those numbers is heralded as the second coming. Just think about what you are saying here, lol.

Do you realize that your only defense for your opinion is simply 'he is 5'9"? Is that really a legitimate argument and point with the way he has proven his play?
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#532 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:47 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
Do you realize that your only defense for your opinion is simply 'he is 5'9"? Is that really a legitimate argument and point with the way he has proven his play?

Well...I don't think his defense holds up, and while his playmaking is pretty good, is it good enough for a starting PG on a contender? When he's paired with a legit #1 option, most of his ball dominant strengths seem negated. Seems like characteristics that work better as a 2nd unit sparkplug who can make something out of nothing - rather than a piece in the first unit of a well oiled contending machine.

Some guys' game just doesn't make sense as the centerpiece of a contender - even if they are an all-star level talent - Toine was a prime example. I think that applies to IT regardless of whether he's a glorified Nate Robinson or a poor man's Allen Iverson.

Back to the topic Brown but also regarding IT, I found this quote hilarious:
" and Isaiah Thomas, the point guard, I know he’s really close with the actual Isiah Thomas. "
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#533 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:53 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:

I think Boston would have been a great place for Okafor, the Celtics pretty much cover Okafor's defensive weaknesses.

It seems Ainge disagrees. Judging from the big men he's drafted in the past 10 years, it seems like he's 100% in the new age of basketball and out with the old back to the basket and nothing else big man era.

Kelly O, French Draymond, Sully, Ben Betil all are stretch 4s.

To be fair for Centers he has drafted guys who can't shoot. But they are almost always shot blockers, or can play defense and rebound.

That's another thing with Oakfor, you're not just covering from his non existent pick and roll defense, you also have to make up for his pedestrian rebounding numbers which this roster has no ability to do in any way.

It's hard to see any team being successful with him getting more than 25 mpg off the bench for them as a 6th man offensive focal point guy.

But to be fair, all we have for reference is Fab Melo and Zizic for centers Ainge has drafted in the last decade.
DarkAzcura
General Manager

Post#534 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:53 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:

Well...I don't think his defense holds up, and while his playmaking is pretty good, is it good enough for a starting PG on a contender? When he's paired with a legit #1 option, most of his ball dominant strengths seem negated. Seems like characteristics that work better as a 2nd unit sparkplug who can make something out of nothing - rather than a piece in the first unit of a well oiled contending machine.

Some guys' game just doesn't make sense as the centerpiece of a contender - even if they are an all-star level talent - Toine was a prime example. I think that applies to IT regardless of whether he's a glorified Nate Robinson or a poor man's Allen Iverson.

Back to the topic Brown but also regarding IT, I found this quote hilarious:
" and Isaiah Thomas, the point guard, I know he’s really close with the actual Isiah Thomas. "

That is funny, lol. Yeah I won't get into this IT stuff I'm here. Can't wait to watch Brown in a week or two.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#535 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Why did dude dress like a valet for the draft?

BannersOnly
Starter
And1: 1,676

Post#536 » by BannersOnly » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:09 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

It seems Ainge disagrees. Judging from the big men he's drafted in the past 10 years, it seems like he's 100% in the new age of basketball and out with the old back to the basket and nothing else big man era.

Kelly O, French Draymond, Sully, Ben Betil all are stretch 4s.

To be fair for Centers he has drafted guys who can't shoot. But they are almost always shot blockers, or can play defense and rebound.

That's another thing with Oakfor, you're not just covering from his non existent pick and roll defense, you also have to make up for his pedestrian rebounding numbers which this roster has no ability to do in any way.

It's hard to see any team being successful with him getting more than 25 mpg off the bench for them as a 6th man offensive focal point guy.

But to be fair, all we have for reference is Fab Melo and Zizic for centers Ainge has drafted in the last decade.

LOL, we would have to back up a fn Brinks truck and throw in mad assets to get Cousins yet Okafor could have been had for the #3 pick in this draft and Danny still turned it down(and rightly so!). That just goes to show you how fn inferior Okafor is to Cousins. Yet all I heard from the Okafor stans all last week was how his numbers compare favorable to a young Cousins and how he can be better than Cousins, yada, yada, yada. GTFOH. The kid sucks. He's a pussy. He's Philly's problem, not ours. Big fn overrated black hole ham and egger STIFF. So sick of hearing about his useless stats too. Put him on a fn playoff team and see what his stats would be in the fn postseason. Imagine him playing for Thibs? Please. Thibs would have his ass riding the pine in the postseason with his pussy ass defense. He sucks. Most overrated center and high school prospect I've seen in a long time. So much hype.......so little game and absolutely ZERO toughness. Put a fn skirt on him.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#537 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:16 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:Why did dude dress like a valet for the draft?

Dude, that outfit is tight. Straight ballin'.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#538 » by rickrolled » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:22 pm

I watched some of his highlights and he got some elite penetration/driving to the basket moves and pretty good at not drawing charges.

I think his floor might be rudy gay, some of those dunks reminded me of gays dunks, especially with both left and right handed dunks Gay's able to do. Think his ceiling is limited though, he's not quite elite athletically but pretty close (by that I mean he's not a freak athlete like VC or LBJ as a teen early 20's). He Could become a TMac, heard him say he models his game from TMac.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#539 » by rickrolled » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:25 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Why did dude dress like a valet for the draft?

Dude, that outfit is tight. Straight ballin'.

Im more impressed with Silvers wingspan (ear to ear) must be 7 feet.
okan_cp3
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#540 » by okan_cp3 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:40 pm

I think pick the Jaylen Brown is the best case unless If there was reasonable trade.

I didn't want Murray and Hield. We have 2 only can shoot player(young-hunter) like them, and we don't give playing time for them, If we do, they didnot prove themselves.

I can't imagine what I do when we pick Bender after Butler trade discussions. It would be disappointment.

Jaylen needs to improve his Jump Shot. Shooting skills can improve, but athleticism and passion can't.
Sorry for my English.

Return to Boston Celtics