ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown - Has he changed your mind?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

After seeing Jaylen...

He was my original choice at #3. and still would
25%
He was my original choice at #3, but I would now take someone else
1%
Not my choice, and still NOT HAPPY
13%
Not my choice, still not, but not unhappy about it
22%
Not my choice, but he would be now
9%
Not my choice, but I am starting to be convinced it was the right pick
30%

Total votes: 255

DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Re: Jaylen Brown - Has he changed your mind? 

Post#421 » by DK-All Day » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:11 pm

Froob wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:the kid is bright, and is a physical specimen with great athletic ability. raw, but a nice ceiling. but LeBron was one of those rare, transcendent players who everybody could see coming way before the draft. like Shaq.

Like the bizzaro Fab Melo who everybody but apparently Ainge knew was a bust way before the draft.

Isn't that the same guy that got a concussion walking into a door lol. What was Ainge thinking?
Handsome.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#422 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:11 pm

Apparently, Jaylen's dad is a 7-foot WBU heavyweight boxing champion.

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/one-wbu-world-champion/59584

Brown’s most prized accomplishment is his children who have been seasoned to follow in their dad’s successful pattern in athletics. Brown’s youngest son, Jaylen Brown from Cal State University, was recently in the 2016 NBA Draft and accepted to the Boston Celtics in the first round, guaranteeing him a contract and promising career in the NBA. Brown is looking for his oldest son, Quenton Brown Jr., to be drafted to the NFL soon.

“My main motivation for coming out of retirement was to show my kids that I never gave up on my dreams. So I didn’t want them to give up on theirs. I am extremely proud of both my sons. I am especially proud of Jaylen. He is an extraordinary athlete and very smart, he’s even planning to go to Harvard next year, so I am extremely proud of both my sons, really. The only advice I could give them when entering into the professional arena, they are going to be in for a rude awakening. They are going to see how nasty the entertainment industry really is. I want them to know to stay on course and don’t let anybody distract them and they’ll be just fine,” said Brown.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#423 » by ermocrate » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:04 pm

rzzzzz wrote:the kid is bright, and is a physical specimen with great athletic ability. raw, but a nice ceiling. but LeBron was one of those rare, transcendent players who everybody could see coming way before the draft. like Shaq.

Because he hasn't played a minute in the NCAA, I don't know if you noticed, any HS Superstar has seen the hype going downhill after the NCAA freshman year. Started GOAT and arrived great player in the best case scenario, in some cases you have seen them going from GOAT contender to "scrubs not worth to be drafted". If you look at the physical specimen Brown is one of a kind like LeBron, as far as abilities LeBron is not Michael Jordan and his style of play had an high benefit from being officiated the way it was(that was very similar the way Brown was officiated in the SL). Now if Brown receives the rookie treatment he is going to struggle on offense if he receives the "LeBron rookie treatment" he is going to score a ton, even tho he has a raw shooting like LeBron had. You can't compare the talent until you see him play for 3-4 years. Telling that he would not score in the NBA is idiotic.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#424 » by campybatman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:29 am

Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,276

Post#425 » by Froob » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:59 am

DK-All Day wrote:
Froob wrote:

Like the bizzaro Fab Melo who everybody but apparently Ainge knew was a bust way before the draft.

Isn't that the same guy that got a concussion walking into a door lol. What was Ainge thinking?

Didn't he average 4 rebounds a game in school lmao? Man I gotta raise a kid that grows up to be 7ft.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#426 » by OFWGKTA » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Froob wrote:
DK-All Day wrote:
Froob wrote:Like the bizzaro Fab Melo who everybody but apparently Ainge knew was a bust way before the draft.

Didn't he average 4 rebounds a game in school lmao? Man I gotta raise a kid that grows up to be 7ft.

Nah man the move is to raise your kid to be a place kicker. How many NFL kickers have been training kicking field goals since they were say 4 or 5? None. Don't have to bet on him being tall or particularly athletic.
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,276

Post#427 » by Froob » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:01 pm

OFWGKTA wrote:
Froob wrote:
DK-All Day wrote:

Nah man the move is to raise your kid to be a place kicker. How many NFL kickers have been training kicking field goals since they were say 4 or 5? None. Don't have to bet on him being tall or particularly athletic.

Good point. Have to home school him and do nothing but have him kick field goals. It makes the field goal or it gets the hose again.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#428 » by GuyClinch » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Field goal kicker? WTF.. Try golf. Field goal kicker has to compete with all Rugby and Soccer players - lot of those guys make less money then a kicker.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#429 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:34 pm

So excited about Jaylen. At first I was like meh, but then after seeing his athletic ability and his size and the moves he's able to pull off at 19 years of age, the guy has superstar potential and seems to have the mentality to back it up.

Can't wait for this season to start. I mean, we got so many talented young guys and we added Horford + the excitement that Gerald Green can bring in a run and gun system- it will be awesome. ;)
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#430 » by Writebloc » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Jaylen already recruiting!
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,366

Post#431 » by tlee324 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:12 am

Riddle me this: Why'd I just waste 20 mins of my life just to watch his father get knocked the **** out?
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#432 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Our boy Jaylen voted most athletic. Like duh doi.
Also 3rd in Steal of the Draft. Were some of the rookies expecting he should've gone 1st or 2nd?
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,054

Post#433 » by London2Boston » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Writebloc wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jaylen already recruiting!

Jimmy Butler seems so awesome to be around.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#434 » by ermocrate » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:59 pm

CrowderKeg wrote:
Read on Twitter

Also 3rd in Steal of the Draft. Were some of the rookies expecting he should've gone 1st or 2nd?

They know more than us for sure...
"Negativity in this town sucks"
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,054

Post#435 » by London2Boston » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:02 pm

ermocrate wrote:
CrowderKeg wrote:
Read on Twitter

They know more than us for sure...

Seems the rooks don't think too highly of Ben Simmons.:
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#436 » by ballup » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:04 pm

Past winners of rookies voted most athletic:
07 draft = Al Thornton 31.8%
09 draft = DeMar DeRozan 47.1%
10 draft = Terrico White 33.3%
12 draft = Quincy Acy and Perry Jones III 17.6%
13 draft = Tony Mitchell = 47.2%
14 draft = Zach Lavine 56.6%
15 draft = Justin Anderson = 27.8 %
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,188

Post#437 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:43 pm

Brown has been hanging out with Jimmy Butler a lot so hopefully he takes on Jimmy Butlers mentality
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#438 » by Leprechaun18 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:51 pm

CrowderKeg wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kriss Dunn looks like he wants to seriously kick some ass. Simmons and Ingram look like they know they got some ass beatings coming, while Jaylen Brown looks like the man.
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 660

Post#439 » by DelMonte West » Thu Sep 1, 2016 12:53 am

DK-All Day wrote:
Froob wrote:

From what I remember Fab is one of those guys whose reputation has really suffered from revisionist history. He was expected to go a little higher than he was when we picked him and even though there were a few people on this board that didn't care for the pick, at the time he hypothetically filled a team need (size). Not defending the pick but it wasn't like Melo was thought of as a late second-rounder.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Post#440 » by DK-All Day » Thu Sep 1, 2016 1:18 am

ballup wrote:Past winners of rookies voted most athletic:
07 draft = Al Thornton 31.8%
09 draft = DeMar DeRozan 47.1%
10 draft = Terrico White 33.3%
12 draft = Quincy Acy and Perry Jones III 17.6%
13 draft = Tony Mitchell = 47.2%
14 draft = Zach Lavine 56.6%
15 draft = Justin Anderson = 27.8 %

2008 and 2011?
Handsome.

Return to Boston Celtics