ImageImageImage

Draftees 2016 – Brown, Yabusele, Žižić, Jackson, Nader

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,906

Re: Draftees 2016 – Brown, Yabusele, Žižić, Jackson, Nader 

Post#481 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Taget wrote:At this point my guess is Zizic makes the team next year, Yab stays another year overseas, Nader makes it to training camp and either makes the team or is given a choice of getting cut or spending another year in Maine.

Of those Zizic is the only one with residual trade value and might be included in any deal we make before the deadline or during the draft.

You're forgetting about those 2 x Two-Way Contracts.

Personally, I think that all 3 make the Team. But, 2 of them can Start on Two-Way Contracts, as the 16th & 17th player, if need be.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#482 » by Elrod is Back » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:30 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Taget wrote:At this point my guess is Zizic makes the team next year, Yab stays another year overseas, Nader makes it to training camp and either makes the team or is given a choice of getting cut or spending another year in Maine.

Of those Zizic is the only one with residual trade value and might be included in any deal we make before the deadline or during the draft.

Personally, I think that all 3 make the Team. But, 2 of them can Start on Two-Way Contracts, as the 16th & 17th player, if need be.

Maybe Nader, though I doubt his agent would accept a 2-way contract. Zizic and Yabs will be on first round rookie scale. I don't think 2 way contracts will apply to them. (But I may be wrong. I would be shocked in the union let that be the case.)
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,371

Post#483 » by Homerclease » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

It would be great if both made the squad but I think the odds are better than neither are here next year over that. Zizic seems more likely to be here than yabusele who isn't ready yet imo. I think Nader has a better chance of making the team that yabusele
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#484 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Maybe Nader, though I doubt his agent would accept a 2-way contract. Zizic and Yabs will be on first round rookie scale. I don't think 2 way contracts will apply to them. (But I may be wrong. I would be shocked in the union let that be the case.)

I didn't see any wording that would preclude a 1st round player, from starting on a Two-Way Contract.

Though, to expand upon what I was saying.:
We can have up to 17 players, at a time. They don't necessarily have to be those 3.
Two-Ways are just another tool. -- After 45 NBA Days, you have to sign them to the NBA, anyways. Or let them go.

http://dleaguedigest.com/2017/01/19/d-league-two-way-contracts-change-nba-landscape/
Who Can Sign a Two-Way Contract?
Anyone with three years or fewer NBA service. The idea is NBA teams should look to develop young players and therefore this restriction is implemented with the contract. This stipulation also falls in line with players who wish to be assigned to the D-League.

How long can a contract be?
Players can sign either one-or-two-year two-way contracts with an NBA team, with the exception of players entering with three years of service (they may only sign a one-year deal). At the end of the contract, the NBA team will have the right to tender a qualifying offer to the player.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#485 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

It would be great if both made the squad but I think the odds are better than neither are here next year over that. Zizic seems more likely to be here than yabusele who isn't ready yet imo. I think Nader has a better chance of making the team that yabusele

As I said, I think that all 3 will make the Squad.
Yabusele is the highest pick. He seems to be at least Rookie-ready.

Danny can play around with the numbers, and so forth. With that, he'll have up to 17 players at a time, on the Roster.
In any event, I expect to see all of Žižić, Yabusele and Nader in Training Camp, 2017.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#486 » by Celtsfan1980 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:53 pm

If they draft a big with the Nets pick they may have a problem. If they draft a guard with the Nets pick having all four rookies is possible but no idea if Ainge would want that. The Minnesota pick could be an issue.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,316

Post#487 » by Gant » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Adam Himmelsbach: Celtics draft pick Abdel Nader is the D-League player of the week after averaging 26.5 pts, 6.5 assists & 5.5 rebs at the D-League showcase.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#488 » by canman1971 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Gant wrote:Adam Himmelsbach: Celtics draft pick Abdel Nader is the D-League player of the week after averaging 26.5 pts, 6.5 assists & 5.5 rebs at the D-League showcase.

It is only a matter of time before Ainge gets rid of the deadweight (Young) at the end of the bench and brings up one or two from the Claws. I mean, it can't hurt.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#489 » by sully00 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:21 am

Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Yabs is coming next year he doesn't have a contract to play anywhere else. This year was a stretch as it was but Boston's roster is so much different next year. Only Horford under contract up front and Mickie non guaranteed.

Weren't you mad that they didn't stash Deyonta Davis on the roster this year? How is Yabs not ready? I get you might not think he is good enough to make it in the NBA so be it but time isn't going to change that.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#490 » by sully00 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:22 am

canman1971 wrote:
Gant wrote:Adam Himmelsbach: Celtics draft pick Abdel Nader is the D-League player of the week after averaging 26.5 pts, 6.5 assists & 5.5 rebs at the D-League showcase.

It is only a matter of time before Ainge gets rid of the deadweight (Young) at the end of the bench and brings up one or two from the Claws. I mean, it can't hurt.

Trade deadline.
smart_celtics
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#491 » by smart_celtics » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:45 pm

sully00 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:You're forgetting about those 2 x Two-Way Contracts.

Yabs is coming next year he doesn't have a contract to play anywhere else. This year was a stretch as it was but Boston's roster is so much different next year. Only Horford under contract up front and Mickie non guaranteed.

Weren't you mad that they didn't stash Deyonta Davis on the roster this year? How is Yabs not ready? I get you might not think he is good enough to make it in the NBA so be it but time isn't going to change that.

Stashing Yabusele has always been about keeping max salary space available for last year and this year. There's still a chance he gets stashed another year if they need the extra space (pending where the final cap numbers come in).
I think the Deyonta Davis trade was about rolling those current assets forward into a future asset. They had too many picks last year.
smart_celtics
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#492 » by smart_celtics » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:47 pm

sully00 wrote:
canman1971 wrote:

Trade deadline.

I don't think they will waste a year of control on Nader just for a few months at the end of the year. Maybe one of the non-team controlled Red Claws but I would bet more on a veteran on the buy out market than a Red Claw this year.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,371

Post#493 » by Homerclease » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:21 pm

sully00 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:You're forgetting about those 2 x Two-Way Contracts.

True id still rather have Deyonta Davis instead of yabusele. This team needs size and rebounding which Yabs has none of. He's still a total zero on defense and is going to be a net negative coming into the NBA next season. He's not ready and my preference of Davis over him doesn't change that
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#494 » by Roddy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Look like Yabusele could finish his season in France after march.
L'ASVEL (a French club, owner is Tony Parker) could sign him from April to June and then let him go to Boston.
The Playoffs in France are around May 15th to June 15th.
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#495 » by CelticsLV » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Roddy wrote:Look like Yabusele could finish his season in France after march.
L'ASVEL (a French club, owner is Tony Parker) could sign him from April to June and then let him go to Boston.

Shanghai Sharks playing in France? Ok... :roll:
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#496 » by Roddy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:34 pm

CelticsLV wrote:

Please explain.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#497 » by sully00 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:54 pm

smart_celtics wrote:
sully00 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:It would be great if both made the squad but I think the odds are better than neither are here next year over that. Zizic seems more likely to be here than yabusele who isn't ready yet imo. I think Nader has a better chance of making the team that yabusele

Stashing Yabusele has always been about keeping max salary space available for last year and this year. There's still a chance he gets stashed another year if they need the extra space (pending where the final cap numbers come in).
I think the Deyonta Davis trade was about rolling those current assets forward into a future asset. They had too many picks last year.

No last year it was about roster spots. Rookie salary deals don't impact salary space all that much and Boston never actually did anything to move those holds off the cap it wasn't necessary.

Understand staying overseas is not in Boston's control, it is up to the player whether they will stay overseas it is up to Boston to sign them or waive them.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#498 » by sully00 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:59 pm

smart_celtics wrote:
sully00 wrote:
canman1971 wrote:It is only a matter of time before Ainge gets rid of the deadweight (Young) at the end of the bench and brings up one or two from the Claws. I mean, it can't hurt.

Trade deadline.

I don't think they will waste a year of control on Nader just for a few months at the end of the year. Maybe one of the non-team controlled Red Claws but I would bet more on a veteran on the buy out market than a Red Claw this year.

They have little control over Nader he is a second round pick, the control is based on his contract. Boston can bring him up in FEB and then have the same control to sign him to a contract in the off season you can't become a RFA until after your second season. Boston in general has offered above the minimum salary to get players to agree to longer contracts. The bottom line it is far more likely that Nader is never signed to a guaranteed contract than Yabs or Zizic stay overseas for another year.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#499 » by gocelts » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:06 pm

This reminds me of the 25 page threads about Pruitt, Walker and Giddens...

Im just not seeing Nader or Jackson on the roster next year with Zizic, Yabs and another pick coming in.
~gocelts
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#500 » by CelticsLV » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Roddy wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:

Please explain.

After rereading for 10th time i finally understood what you meant. My bad :lol:

Return to Boston Celtics