ImageImageImage

Kevin Garnett "The Big Ticket" announces Retirement via Instagram

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,884

Re: Kevin Garnett "The Big Ticket" announces Retirement via Instagram 

Post#61 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:42 pm

Celtic Nation is gonna miss you, you lovable raving lunatic.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,998

Post#62 » by exculpatory » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Awesome career.

Top 3 PF of all time.

The Ticket & the Truth were a perfect synergistic blend of Super Star skillsets.
That horrible injury VS Utah in 2/2009 cost us #18 & #19.
If Kevin & Paul had joined up several years earlier, they would have outdone Shaq & Kobe.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#63 » by 2Mas » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:19 pm

This kills me. Got that feeling in my stomach.

My favorite athlete all time. Yeah I was a band-wagoner in 07. All cause KG. I just wish people could understand how impactful he was. No 20-10-5 season could show how impactful he was.

He's definitely the most unselfish superstar of the 2000's, & maybe the most underrated (debate there or Pierce tho).

He'll be remember as a top 5-7 PF, which is absolute nonsense. Switch Spurs & Wolves #21's & the story is basically the same. The Dirk comparisons really bother me. Dirk couldn't hold KG's strap.

Straight up, if everyone had KG's attitude, the world would be a helluva place. Everyone cared about the work, their circle, put the effort he put in day in & day out.. I hope I can be as passionate as him one day.

There will never be another KG. He is the OG. Will never love another player like that man. Enjoy your retirement dude. You deserve everything.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Re: Kevin Garnett "The Big Ticket" set to announce Retirement 

Post#64 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:10 pm

dei1c3 wrote:/salute

Thanks for everything, in and out of a Celtics uniform, Kevin.

Garnett or McHale? :wink:

Obviously one of the all time greats. I am not going to say he single handily turned this team around but he was a major major reason. He was the backbone of the team for years and changed the defense and attitude. KG, PP and Allen should have had another ring or two but that went array on 2/19/09 in Utah. Next year the team ran out of gas and in 2011 the buddy ball era begin.
*Insert witty signature here.*
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,998

Re: Kevin Garnett "The Big Ticket" set to announce Retirement 

Post#65 » by exculpatory » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:24 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
dei1c3 wrote:/salute

Thanks for everything, in and out of a Celtics uniform, Kevin.

Garnett or McHale? :wink:

Obviously one of the all time greats. I am not going to say he single handily turned this team around but he was a major major reason. He was the backbone of the team for years and changed the defense and attitude. KG, PP and Allen should have had another ring or two but that went AWRY on 2/19/09 in Utah. Next year the team ran out of gas and in 2011 the buddy ball era begin.

KG needed Paul as much as Paul needed KG.

That said, Top 3 PF of all time.
Unmeasurable intensity.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,133

Post#66 » by Froob » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Wonder when they retire #5. He should get his own night seperate from Pierce.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#67 » by Disinformation » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:22 pm

Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#68 » by soxfan2003 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:45 am

I wanted KG on the Celtics so long that I was overjoyed after the Celtics finally got him.

There have been some overrated stars/superstars from my perspective but KG was underrated. I don't necessarily think he is without significant flaws as a person -- his intensity may have been a little over the top and perhaps he is a little crazy -- but he is probably the most influential basketball player of my lifetime besides Jordan. And there was never any question of his effort especially in the games that mattered and his commitment to the game. 2010 Celtics which I still feel were robbed in that 4th quarter gave a remarkable effort and KG was a tone setter.

Duncan deserves to go down as having had the better career but IMHO if they had switched circumstances, the pundits right now would be saying KG was better. But I do think Duncan deserves it simply since he has a little better longevity. But if bothers me that Kobe will go down in the record books as better than KG by the majority of people and I honestly just do not think he deserves it.

But their was never a player in the history of basketball that I think really had KG's versatility. Jordan? Nope. Lebron? Nope. Walton? Nope. Magic? Nope Bird? Nope.

A legit 7fter who could protect the rim at an elite level, shoot outside from the mid range very well, score inside against single teams very well and dribble in his younger days almost like a PG. Flat out remarkable overall skill-set.
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Re: RE: Re: Kevin Garnett "The Big Ticket" announces Retirement via Instagram 

Post#69 » by tombattor » Sat Oct 1, 2016 11:01 pm

Froob wrote:Wonder when they retire #5. He should get his own night seperate from Pierce.

I hope they don't retire #5. He was good with us, but his number should be retired with T wolves. I think we need a tougher bar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

Return to Boston Celtics