ImageImageImage

The Horford Effect

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Re: The Horford Effect 

Post#81 » by Writebloc » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:56 pm

London2Boston wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like his sister would fit in here :lol:

Felger is a living breathing Troll...
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,221

Post#82 » by Homerclease » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Writebloc wrote:
London2Boston wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like his sister would fit in here :lol:

Felger is a living breathing Troll...

UGH I can only assume that felger ripped Horford for missing last nights game to be with his family. What a slimeball. He's just mad that his bucks are perennial underachievers
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,344

Post#83 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
ddb wrote:Horford is such a Celtic. I feel like right now we already have our #2 and #3 guys in IT and Horford. Now we need our #1. Should have been Durant. Durant blew it. Boston would have been perfect for him.

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM mobile app

Horford absolutely is. He fits right in.
Durant though, he gets the You-Blew-It Award. Watch. The Warriors are not going to be any better. And are not going to win this year. They'll spend most of the season tripping over each other.

Warriors have won 16 of 17 and are riding a 12-game win streak.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,490

Post#84 » by VeryMuchWoke » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:17 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:Warriors have won 16 of 17 and are riding a 12-game win streak.

Their offense is so good there is very little pressure on their defense and rebounding to be good as well. However, I do think their lack of size and rim protection could be exploitable in the playoffs when game-planning is of greater importance, but only when facing a top 3-4 team in the league.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#85 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:24 pm

I dunno man. When GS has a bad game they still win by 5. It's a two horse race as long as they have health. I can't see them not getting close to or surpassing 70 wins again. Those 2 losses were early season flukes.They could easily win the title this year and I mean easily.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#86 » by truth18 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:26 pm

This machine kills Felgers.
YOU LOSE
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#87 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:37 pm

iTalkToTheLord wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Warriors have won 16 of 17 and are riding a 12-game win streak.

There offense is so good there is very little pressure on their defense and rebounding to be good as well. However, I do think their lack of size and rim protection could be exploitable in the playoffs when game-planning is of greater importance, but only when facing a top 3-4 team in the league.

Well, the Spurs definitely took them on Opening Night. But considering that they are on pace to match last year's 73 win total after 18 games, I think the reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated.

I feel like Andrew Bogut is wildly overrated on this board. Ws are actually stronger in the frountcourt this year, IMO. Added Zaza, David West, McGee and still have their rookie center yet to play. Could easily add a buyout deadline guy or even make a deadline trade. Kevan Looney healthy now as well.

Also, smallball or no, really how vulnerable is a lineup that plays KD at PF alongside Draymond at C?

Curry/Klay/Iggy/KD/Dray is filthy any way you slice it. They are averaging nearly 118(!) points a game and making it look easy.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#88 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:I dunno man. When GS has a bad game they still win by 5. It's a two horse race as long as they have health. I can't see them not getting close to or surpassing 70 wins again. Those 2 losses were early season flukes.They could easily win the title this year and I mean easily.

People are trying too hard. If they stay healthy, they are dominant and one of the best teams ever.
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#89 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:I dunno man. When GS has a bad game they still win by 5. It's a two horse race as long as they have health. I can't see them not getting close to or surpassing 70 wins again. Those 2 losses were early season flukes.They could easily win the title this year and I mean easily.

People are trying too hard. If they stay healthy, they are dominant and one of the best teams ever.

Cleveland had help winning the ring due in large part to Draymond's fascination with kicking people in the nuts. I'm sure he's been privately scolded about doing that one more time in the playoffs considering what's at stake. Now they have KD too? Dude, we're talking 'tecmo-bowl' style blow outs here when they shoot well. And they all shoot well. They all average 'well' They've been 'well' their whole career. And well is over 40% from 3 range for just about all the stars. We're all here playing for respect, GS and Cleveland and to a lesser degree, SA is playing for a ring.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,067

Post#90 » by Ed Pinkney » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:46 pm

Warriors and Cavs are clearly in a different class from the rest of the league unfortunately. Horford (and Thomas, Bradley, Crowder) make the Celtics competitive now, the Nets picks can help make them great in four years time.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#91 » by ddb » Mon Dec 5, 2016 2:40 pm

Don't look yet because Horford isn't yet eligible, but as of right now he would be 2nd in the league in blocks per game behind only Anthony Davis. 2.7 bpg for Al.

Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#92 » by Dannyboy36 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 7:11 pm

Wow. 2.7? Nice.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#93 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:51 pm

Yep, Horfie has about the same block percentage as Gobert right now. He also leads all centers in assist percentage. Only Al and Marc Gasol have an AST% higher than 20%.

Here's Boston Globe's story on Horford's concussion ordeal, for those interested.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#94 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Dec 9, 2016 6:29 am

Celtics record since Horford's return: 7-3. Top 10 in offensive (7), defensive, (10) and net rating (6) during that span.

ESPN: Al Horford is flourishing in his new role as Boston's quarterback
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#95 » by jrob23 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 8:22 am

Parliament10 wrote:
ddb wrote:Horford is such a Celtic. I feel like right now we already have our #2 and #3 guys in IT and Horford. Now we need our #1. Should have been Durant. Durant blew it. Boston would have been perfect for him.

Horford absolutely is. He fits right in.
Durant though, he gets the You-Blew-It Award. Watch. The Warriors are not going to be any better. And are not going to win this year. They'll spend most of the season tripping over each other.

They're blowing people out with ease even without their studs going off. I knew people would jump to conclusions if they struggled and lost a game here or there. They're even getting bench contributions. The blowouts are allowing bench to actually play and they're improving. I'm sure the'll make a deadline move. They should win it all.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#96 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Dec 9, 2016 12:57 pm

There have been teams in history that could certainly challlenge the Warriors' top 2 scorers, whoever they are. Bird/McHale. Kobe/Shaq. Kareem/Worthy.

But whoever the Warriors' third-best scorer is -- presumably Klay -- he's probably the best third-best scorer in NBA history. :) I.e., strictly for scoring, I'm putting him ahead of Chief, Magic, Mailman-on-the-Lakers and so on. Nor are the other two guys Rodman-esque non-scorers. So I think the the Warriors have the greatest collection of scoring talent in NBA history. The only historical teams competitive with them offensively are the ones with elite passing, i.e. the Celtics and Lakers of the 80s.

As for how those teams compare to the Warriors defensively ... I imagine that has a lot to do w/ the prevailing rules of the day. And so I think that overall the 1980s Celtics would clobber the Warriors under 1980s rules, while the reverse would be true in the modern game.

This assumes, of course, something not yet proven, namely that Warrior team coherence holds up when the going gets tougher.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#97 » by jmr07019 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 12:59 pm

Ironically Durant going to the Warriors could do more for LeBron's legacy than Durant's. The degree of difficulty on LeBron's 1st 2 titles was moderate at best. Last years finals performance was the best moment of LeBron's career though. Truly special and what I've been waiting to see from LeBron. If LeBron can win 1 or 2 finals against these guys it would be super impressive.
Show Love Spread Love
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,604

Post#98 » by Green89 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:59 pm

So, he's now helped contribute to two losses. His turnover at the end of the OKC game killed us, and missing the point blank shot for the win the other night. I'm not going to put it all on him, though, as after IT, it seems like we're leaning on him as our #2 option, when we really need a better #2 scorer. He also needs to front court help, but that's another issue entirely.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#99 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Read on Twitter

It helped that his teammates were able to stay in front of their guys for once. It made it easier for him to come over for the swat.

Full highlights:
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#100 » by Leprechaun18 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:04 pm

I really like Horford. He seems like a very professional player. He is also more athletic than I thought. He jumps well. His rebounding could improve, not that hes a bad rebounder, but he excells at scoring, passing and defense. I also think that if our guards would run back more instead of crashing the boards our bigs would get more rebounds and we would get more fastbreaks.

Return to Boston Celtics