ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,948

Re: Marcus Smart 

Post#121 » by Drax » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:48 pm

mrscruff wrote:
CrowderKeg wrote:

Nice variety of passes in those clips. Love the pass to Zeller. His court vision is started to show.

It was always there just hidden behind the other 2nd unit ball handlers, people who still don't know that great stuff happens once Smart goes to the paint don't watch him play. The biggest problem with Smart is that everyone tells him he needs a shot to be good, but in realitiy it's get to the lane and make plays.

I'm all for developing his shot (over time and limited volume) but to me it looks like he's trying to make the three ball his primary option while it should be third or fourth.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Re: RE: Re: Marcus Smart 

Post#122 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:42 am

TommyPointGawd wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:He's the same guy he's been throughout his career. 46% TS vs. 47% on career. 12% rebound rate vs. 11% career. 16% assist rate, same as career. 15% turnover rate vs. 13% for career. Per-36 of 12/5/4 with 1.5 steals vs. 11/5/4 with 1.9 steals. He still can't beat his man off the bounce, and he still isn't a PG.

There's been no discernible improvement. That's just the reality. He's a nice player but I'm seeing nothing suggesting he's on the cusp of becoming more than a hustle-and-effort bench guy. Guys who can't attack the rim, shoot, or be a true PG cannot be starters.

If you can't see the the impact and improvements with your eyes I question your basketball acumen. He needs to start making some baskets though.

The object of basketball is to put the ball in the hoop. By almost any metric, Smart is one of the worst guards in the NBA at this. It's like saying you have a great golfer who can't put, or a great closer who has no command. Until and unless Smart becomes a competent shooter/scorer, he is a role player. The end. Is he by the eye test doing better getting teammates open? Yep. Is he still defending well? Yep. But that's not enough.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#123 » by Disinformation » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:18 am

I guess I'm starting to come around on Marcus Smart. I doubt he's every going to be a traditional PG or SG, but he's a crazy utility player with a big variety of tools who will have some nights passing the ball like he did against BKN and some nights shooting the ball like he did against, who was it...New Orleans? We'll see how consistent those types of nights can become.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#124 » by Ed Pinkney » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:31 am

Gomes3PC wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:He's the same guy he's been throughout his career. 46% TS vs. 47% on career. 12% rebound rate vs. 11% career. 16% assist rate, same as career. 15% turnover rate vs. 13% for career. Per-36 of 12/5/4 with 1.5 steals vs. 11/5/4 with 1.9 steals. He still can't beat his man off the bounce, and he still isn't a PG.

There's been no discernible improvement. That's just the reality. He's a nice player but I'm seeing nothing suggesting he's on the cusp of becoming more than a hustle-and-effort bench guy. Guys who can't attack the rim, shoot, or be a true PG cannot be starters.

If you can't see the the impact and improvements with your eyes I question your basketball acumen. He needs to start making some baskets though.

The object of basketball is to put the ball in the hoop. By almost any metric, Smart is one of the worst guards in the NBA at this. It's like saying you have a great golfer who can't put, or a great closer who has no command. Until and unless Smart becomes a competent shooter/scorer, he is a role player. The end. Is he by the eye test doing better getting teammates open? Yep. Is he still defending well? Yep. But that's not enough.

Can't say I really understand this logic. If you do multiple things really well, why is that "not enough" if one area is not as strong. I know scoring is important, but so is defending, fighting over screens, drawing fouls, making clutch blocks/steals, being a good team guy. I mean look at the Detroit game, a stat sheet says he got an offensive rebound and missed a two foot shot, but nothing about that play being just as important to winning the game as Horford being in the right place for the easy put back. That is just a willingness to do whatever it takes to help the team that is a rare commodity, it is the sort of thing that people praised Garnett so much for. He seems to do one or more of those sort of plays a game that I cant think of too many players in the league do.

My main criticism is his shot selection, not his shot making.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#125 » by jrob23 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:31 am

Rondo is proof you can be a great player that affects the game without having any semblance of a shot. Rondo knew that about himself which is why he only shot 1 three a game and usually, any non layup from him was a last resort. Smart on the other hand is taking 5 threes a game. I wish he'd embrace being a layup or tear drop shooter only. Him bricking threes in the playoffs will cost us games. I'm pretty certain Smart can't be a starting PG but he's great at what he does and we need him. I'd only trade him if it meant we got someone Noel. That to me....straight up...seems perfect for both teams.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#126 » by ermocrate » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:52 am

jrob23 wrote:Rondo is proof you can be a great player that affects the game without having any semblance of a shot. Rondo knew that about himself which is why he only shot 1 three a game and usually, any non layup from him was a last resort. Smart on the other hand is taking 5 threes a game. I wish he'd embrace being a layup or tear drop shooter only. Him bricking threes in the playoffs will cost us games. I'm pretty certain Smart can't be a starting PG but he's great at what he does and we need him. I'd only trade him if it meant we got someone Noel. That to me....straight up...seems perfect for both teams.

He can be the next Tony Allen for what I saw... Can't tell if he will put up a decant jumper or a great ball handling but he can be the next Tony Allen for sure.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#127 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:54 am

jrob23 wrote:Rondo is proof you can be a great player that affects the game without having any semblance of a shot. Rondo knew that about himself which is why he only shot 1 three a game and usually, any non layup from him was a last resort. Smart on the other hand is taking 5 threes a game. I wish he'd embrace being a layup or tear drop shooter only. Him bricking threes in the playoffs will cost us games. I'm pretty certain Smart can't be a starting PG but he's great at what he does and we need him. I'd only trade him if it meant we got someone Noel. That to me....straight up...seems perfect for both teams.

He's not Rondo though. Rondo couldn't shoot but he could finish at the rim when he was young. During Rondo's prime, he had a TS% of ~52% (2007 - 2012). He was also a better rebounder and an incomparably better passer, plus close to his equal defensively (he tailed off hard after the knee injury).

Smart's career TS% is 47%. That 5% gap is really, really meaningful. It's the difference between a passable offensive threat and a complete non-threat.
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#128 » by claycarver » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:39 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:

No, the object is for your team to put the ball in the hoop more often than the other teams puts the ball in the hoop. Doesn't matter how you make that happen. If you shoot 1-7 but you hold your opponent to 0-7, you're good at basketball. If your team scores more than the other team when you step on the court, you're good at basketball.

However you make that happen, that's enough.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#129 » by ddb » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:12 pm

I'll say it over and over and over. I love Marcus Smart. His game doesn't even make sense, but I love it. Simply put, dude just impacts winning. Makes winning plays

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM mobile app
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#130 » by claycarver » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:46 pm

ddb wrote:I'll say it over and over and over. I love Marcus Smart. His game doesn't even make sense, but I love it.

This is my favorite part. I didn't get a chance to watch the Brooklyn game, looked at the box score, and thought, "Damn, Smart laid a stinker." Then I see he's the leading vote getter for the VC. What the hell?

You're right, Marcus Smart doesn't make sense, and I love it.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#131 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:17 pm

Read on Twitter

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,443

Post#132 » by SichtingLives » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:46 pm

We needed Smart to have one solid offensive function to be an overall plus player (which he already was, but w/e). We assumed it had to be shooting, specifically 3 point shooting. But if he's going to continue developing as a solid distributor of the basketball, he will be filling his offensive niche for the team. It's not like anybody on this forum has been expecting him to bust out as a scoring option anyway. Let's be thankful a part of his offensive game that actually helps the team is improving.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
ddb
RealGM

Post#133 » by ddb » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:34 pm

SichtingLives wrote:We needed Smart to have one solid offensive function to be an overall plus player (which he already was, but w/e). We assumed it had to be shooting, specifically 3 point shooting. But if he's going to continue developing as a solid distributor of the basketball, he will be filling his offensive niche for the team. It's not like anybody on this forum has been expecting him to bust out as a scoring option anyway. Let's be thankful a part of his offensive game that actually helps the team is improving.

Yup, his playmaking ability is significantly better this season. He looks under control. The game has slowed down for him

Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#134 » by Slartibartfast » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Smart has always been a good passer - he's just getting a slight boost in passing opps with ET gone.

The rest of his offensive game is still as butt-ugly as ever. A pretty disappointing start to the year for him.
ddb
RealGM

Post#135 » by ddb » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:22 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Smart has always been a good passer - he's just getting a slight boost in passing opps with ET gone.

The rest of his offensive game is still as butt-ugly as ever. A pretty disappointing start to the year for him.

He is better this year.

rmal8852
Pro Prospect
And1: 929

Post#136 » by rmal8852 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:42 am

ddb wrote:I'll say it over and over and over. I love Marcus Smart. His game doesn't even make sense, but I love it. Simply put, dude just impacts winning. Makes winning plays

Exactly.

one night earlier in the week,they flashed his statline for the game as 4-8-8-2. Not flashy, but extremely impressive to me.

Vs Detroit, he flies through the air into the trees with desperate, reckless abandon, giving himself up COMPLETELY for the team. he keeps the ball alive for Horford who lays it in and we win.

This is the type of guy I'd want to go to war with (on his side).....WARRIOR
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#137 » by GreenBloodedC » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:56 am

What I want to see Smart do this year is bully smaller guys. I've been waiting to see him post up and just bully his way against smaller guards.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#138 » by jrob23 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:25 am

rmal8852 wrote:
ddb wrote:I'll say it over and over and over. I love Marcus Smart. His game doesn't even make sense, but I love it. Simply put, dude just impacts winning. Makes winning plays

Exactly.

one night earlier in the week,they flashed his statline for the game as 4-8-8-2. Not flashy, but extremely impressive to me.

Vs Detroit, he flies through the air into the trees with desperate, reckless abandon, giving himself up COMPLETELY for the team. he keeps the ball alive for Horford who lays it in and we win.

This is the type of guy I'd want to go to war with (on his side).....WARRIOR

I know this is said quite a bit, but it needs stressing...he is only 22 y/o!!!!!! Back when I first started watching basketball, rookies came into the league at that age. Heck, many guys were 23 y/o like Bird. There's plenty of time for him to improve. He's also been injured quite a bit. Hurt wrists, dislocated fingers on shooting hand, ankles and feet. Right now, as the backup PG he is capable of helping us win games. He needs a lot of work on the offensive side of the ball. He's a bad shooter. He really is He's actually a pretty decent passer and facilitator. That will only improve as he works on his handle and shot. All he needs is to be an average shooter to be worthy of starting. I still feel he can become a 15-6-8 PG with stellar defense. I'd rather that than IT. I think Smart, if he hits my upside target is capable of leading a team to the Finals before IT could. I get why people are frustrated, heck I've been a vocal critic about the draft pick and his slow development. But I've come to realize from watching his impact on the floor this season, despite the shooting problems, I like him on this team and even if all he ever is is what you see today...winning teams need players like that and he can be my backup PG any day. When I saw him with Team USA Select Team, he seemed so content to be a facilitator and actually shot well with confidence. It has to make you think if he's seemingly good enough for that team and coaches and players respect him, maybe us critics should too. It's not his fault Danny took him instead of other players. Enjoy him for what he is, not what he isn't. I've got to follow my own advice with IT as well. He's a hell of a player and elite offensively. It'd be nice if he could be better at defense...it'd be nice if Smart could eventually shoot better. But both players help us win. Maybe not championships, but as a fan I'm glad they're on my team.

Here's some footage of him with Team USA Select. Tell me he doesn't look extremely competent:

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#139 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:19 am

So if IT can be a kind of Allen Iverson, despite having a rather different game, can Smart be a better Eric Snow?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#140 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:27 pm

In he end he'll be judged by how he shoots. I don't want to see another playoff series where teams doubleteam IT and let the other C's shoot and they can't even drain wide open shots. You can win games through defense and intangibles but eventually your going to have to win an important game or series via buckets.

Return to Boston Celtics