ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Re: Marcus Smart 

Post#341 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Jan 8, 2017 2:41 pm

Fruit Pastilles wrote:I could see this guy playing out the rest of his career in Boston. He's loved by the GM, the coaching staff and the fans. Even when he's having an off-night, he does so many great things that go unnoticed on and off the court.

Here's a video I found the other day of Brad talking about "energy-raisers". It's from January 2015, Smart's rookie season, and he brings Marcus up in the "energy-raisers" discussion and how he benefit everyone. Interesting watch.

I've heard him talk about the concept of energy-raisers before in post-game interviews, but first time I've seen this video. Thanks for sharing.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#342 » by jfs1000d » Sun Jan 8, 2017 2:46 pm

This is simple, if he can become a 40% shooter and 33% from 3, he is a starting PG in this league. I think he doesn't score enough to be a 2, but he has terrific PG skills and instincts.

Good player who does everything. He has to continue making shots.

Sent from my KFFOWI using RealGM mobile app
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#343 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Jan 8, 2017 2:55 pm

Fruit Pastilles wrote:I could see this guy playing out the rest of his career in Boston. He's loved by the GM, the coaching staff and the fans. Even when he's having an off-night, he does so many great things that go unnoticed on and off the court.

Here's a video I found the other day of Brad talking about "energy-raisers". It's from January 2015, Smart's rookie season, and he brings Marcus up in the "energy-raisers" discussion and how he benefit everyone. Interesting watch.

Great find!! This video also helps explain why Stevens wants nothing to do with Cousins. Complete opposite of an energy-raiser. Cousins looks like he drains energy from everyone.
pasfru
Starter
And1: 2,794

Post#344 » by pasfru » Sun Jan 8, 2017 2:58 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:

Great find!! This video also helps explain why Stevens wants nothing to do with Cousins. Complete opposite of an energy-raiser. Cousins looks like he drains energy from everyone.

There's another video from that day on "leadership", and a few of the things said there are really insightful. All of the videos there are insightful, I'd recommend giving them a watch if you're interested. Kind of shows you who and what Brad values as a coach.

And yeah, I'd tend to agree. Cousins was the first thing that came to mind when I watched these, and not in a good way.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#345 » by return2glory » Sun Jan 8, 2017 5:09 pm

Nice find. Thank you!

What Brad Stevens is talking about there is more reason to love Brad Stevens and Marcus Smart.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Re: RE: Re: Marcus Smart 

Post#346 » by ddb » Sun Jan 8, 2017 6:01 pm

return2glory wrote:

Nice find. Thank you!

What Brad Stevens is talking about there is more reason to love Brad Stevens and Marcus Smart.

Great find. A video like this demonstrates the mentality this Celtics team values. Think about their roster. Many of the players fit that "energy raiser" tab. IT, Horford, Smart, Jae, Bradley...even a guy like Gerald Green is respected and viewed as an energy raiser. This is a prime example of why Danny probably will never deal for Cousins who has a reputation for sucking the life out of a locker room. A move like that would be super risky.
All I know is that the Celtics are close. I believe they will be contenders in 17-18.

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#347 » by SichtingLives » Sun Jan 8, 2017 6:42 pm

This must sound like a foreign language to guys who reference watered down algorithms as the majority of their basketball analysis
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,817

Post#348 » by TommyPointGawd » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:52 pm

SichtingLives wrote:.

This must sound like a foreign language to guys who reference watered down algorithms as the majority of their basketball analysis

You must not have heard about the True Energy Level Efficiency Rating.
I apologize for the things I have said in the past. :cry:
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#349 » by NormanDale » Mon Jan 9, 2017 2:02 pm

Gant wrote:He's stealth good. He reminds me of Dennis Johnson in some ways. Also at times his shooting stats suffer because he's often the one left chucking it up from cannon range when the shot clock expires.

Dennis Johnson made 5 All-Star teams, 8 All-Defense teams (5 1st aned 3 2nd), 2 All-NBA teams (1 1st and 1 2nd), and won a Finals MVP. Do you think Marcus Smart will do that?

I agree he's a great energy guy and a guy you want to have on your team coming off the bench. I just don't see him ever becoming more than that, unless he seriously improves his jump shot.
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#350 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jan 9, 2017 2:28 pm

Yeah I think people forget how good DJ was before coming to Boston and becoming more of a 3rd/4th option here. I like Marcus be he's not DJ, at least not yet.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,322

Post#351 » by Gant » Mon Jan 9, 2017 2:35 pm

NormanDale wrote:
Gant wrote:He's stealth good. He reminds me of Dennis Johnson in some ways. Also at times his shooting stats suffer because he's often the one left chucking it up from cannon range when the shot clock expires.

Dennis Johnson made 5 All-Star teams, 8 All-Defense teams (5 1st aned 3 2nd), 2 All-NBA teams (1 1st and 1 2nd), and won a Finals MVP. Do you think Marcus Smart will do that?

I agree he's a great energy guy and a guy you want to have on your team coming off the bench. I just don't see him ever becoming more than that, unless he seriously improves his jump shot.

sigh. "in some ways"
NormanDale
Rookie

Post#352 » by NormanDale » Mon Jan 9, 2017 3:22 pm

Jaylen Brown reminds me of Michael Jordan in some ways.
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#353 » by radcot » Mon Jan 9, 2017 3:31 pm

Marcus raises my energy level just watching him play.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#354 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Jan 9, 2017 5:52 pm

This CelticsBlog article on Smart's improvement as a playmaker is quite good.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#355 » by sully00 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 6:21 pm

NormanDale wrote:

Dennis Johnson had some pretty tremendous shooting struggles of his own. He also came to the NBA at 22 years old and while having a good rookie year shooting the ball, as he tried to emerge as more of a scorer he shot 41%, 43%, 43% from 2pt land over his first 3 years. His jump shot or lack of it was always a problem. At that point in the NBA most players could knock down 50% of open 15-18 ft jumpers and DJ was terrible so opponents would leave him open from 15-18 ft and dare him to shoot.

When you factor in the up and down of DJ's career before he came to Boston yeah I think Smart could be and even is a very similar player. Smart is 22 is more of a playmaker than DJ and DJ more of a scorer. Both terrible FG%s both game changing defenders, both good rebounders for guards. It is impossible to control for accolades but I think if Smart is on a good team the accolades will follow.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#356 » by truth18 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 6:25 pm

CrowderKeg wrote:This CelticsBlog article on Smart's improvement as a playmaker is quite good.

Not giving those **** clicks unless Smitty wrote it.
YOU LOSE
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#357 » by jmr07019 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 6:53 pm

truth18 wrote:
CrowderKeg wrote:This CelticsBlog article on Smart's improvement as a p
laymaker is quite good.

Is SB Nation espn? or you just don't like celticsblog?
Show Love Spread Love
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#358 » by truth18 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 7:04 pm

jmr07019 wrote:
truth18 wrote:
CrowderKeg wrote:This CelticsBlog article on Smart's improvement as a p
laymaker is quite good.

Is SB Nation espn? or you just don't like celticsblog?

The latter.
YOU LOSE
NormanDale
Rookie

Post#359 » by NormanDale » Mon Jan 9, 2017 8:18 pm

sully00 wrote:
NormanDale wrote:

Dennis Johnson had some pretty tremendous shooting struggles of his own. He also came to the NBA at 22 years old and while having a good rookie year shooting the ball, as he tried to emerge as more of a scorer he shot 41%, 43%, 43% from 2pt land over his first 3 years. His jump shot or lack of it was always a problem. At that point in the NBA most players could knock down 50% of open 15-18 ft jumpers and DJ was terrible so opponents would leave him open from 15-18 ft and dare him to shoot.

When you factor in the up and down of DJ's career before he came to Boston yeah I think Smart could be and even is a very similar player. Smart is 22 is more of a playmaker than DJ and DJ more of a scorer. Both terrible FG%s both game changing defenders, both good rebounders for guards. It is impossible to control for accolades but I think if Smart is on a good team the accolades will follow.

Yea, I guess you see Smart's ceiling as being a lot higher than I do. I don't expect accolades like 1st team All NBA or Finals MVP to be coming his way at any stage.

Dennis Johnson may have had "tremendous shooting struggles," he never shot 37%, which is the best shooting percentage of Smart's career so far. Even Iverson never shot that badly, at his nadir.

I also don't think Smart is at DJ's level defensively at this point, but I realize I'm in the minority on this board in thinking that.

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#360 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon Jan 9, 2017 8:25 pm

SichtingLives wrote:

It's interesting. I wouldn't guess the NBA FO's question was simple, though - there are guys who raise energy in a bad way, guys who lower it in a good way, or a good/bad way. Tayshaun Prince was like a mood stabilizer for our whole roster the few weeks we had him, it was stunning how big an impact he had. Horford lowers the energy on the court because he's so selfless. Smart raises it, but has to channel his impulses.

Give the tracking camera guys a few months and they'll be correlating player substitutions with game speed, number of shouts on the court, smiles, frowns.

Return to Boston Celtics