ImageImageImage

IT 4 MVP

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Re: IT 4 MVP 

Post#101 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:34 pm

jmr07019 wrote:I got nothing to back this up but it seems like this season Isaiah is really looking to take over scoring wise in the 4th quarter and in the first 3 quarters he's looking to get others involved more and run the offense. Last year his play seemed pretty steady from quarter to quarter. It comes from a better understanding of what the team needs when and the confidence that he can get his shot off when he wants to.

Assist Ratio Average for 1st-3rd Qtr: 23.1
Assist Ratio in 4th Qtr: 13.6

Usage Rate Average for 1st-3rd Qtr: 30
Usage Rate in 4th Qtr: 45.2

Scoring Average for 1st-3rd Qtr: 6.13
Scoring in 4th Qtr: 9.7

Numbers back up your observation for this season (too lazy to check previous season). Dynamic might change once Crowder and Horford are back.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Re: RE: Re: IT 4 MVP 

Post#102 » by KGboss » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:32 am

CrowderKeg wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:I got nothing to back this up but it seems like this season Isaiah is really looking to take over scoring wise in the 4th quarter and in the first 3 quarters he's looking to get others involved more and run the offense. Last year his play seemed pretty steady from quarter to quarter. It comes from a better understanding of what the team needs when and the confidence that he can get his shot off when he wants to.

Assist Ratio Average for 1st-3rd Qtr: 23.1
Assist Ratio in 4th Qtr: 13.6

Usage Rate Average for 1st-3rd Qtr: 30
Usage Rate in 4th Qtr: 45.2

Scoring Average for 1st-3rd Qtr: 6.13
Scoring in 4th Qtr: 9.7

Numbers back up your observation for this season (too lazy to check previous season). Dynamic might change once Crowder and Horford are back.

Wonder what those stats are now after the last couple of games as well.

IT continues to ball out.

Also i have been thinking about this to the people who want isaiah as a 6th man....usually if a guy cant handle or shouldnt be a starter there is a big tell before too long. Look at Ish Smith in Detroit for example filling in for Reggie Jackson. Hes a great bench guy 6th man type candidate but struggles in big minutes. Thomas excels and the team does well. I just dont understand the logic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#103 » by jrob23 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:11 am

I'm one of the people who hope he eventually becomes a 6th man. The logic is his defense won't be such a concern and the 2nd unit has desperately needed scoring. Rozier has been playing much better so I'm thinking he'll start to assert himself more and the 2nd unit scoring will be somewhat improved so it might solve that issue making it a moot point. But I would like to know whether Rozier can be good enough to not make us regret passing on PG with BK17. These PG are elite. They would be the best prospect Boston has drafted since Pierce and Bias before that. Personally I'd draft whichever one we liked best, but knowing Danny, he won't, so it'd be great to get Rozier ready to take over for when IT inevitably leaves due to age and contract demands. Heck, maybe Rozier proves to be very capable allowing us to draft Giles. We won't know that unless he gets major run with the starters. I get that some of you feel like IT can be a championship PG, but I don't. His 3 pt shot is suspect, too often he drives and gets lost in the trees and turns the ball over, he plays hero ball too much and we become dependent on him for scoring because of it, and he's a trash defender and perpetual liability on D.

btw IT will have a tough time even be MVP of our team (Horford) let alone all of the NBA.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#104 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:29 am

Lol^
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
yeahM8
Starter
And1: 3,682

Post#105 » by yeahM8 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:45 am

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Lol^

I know right.
I really don't know if people are watching the same games as I am.

Keep the doubts coming it only feeds IT
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Post#106 » by DK-All Day » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:07 pm

We're going to have need IT to stay on his current pace and for the Celtics to get the #2 seed to even get consideration.
Handsome.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#107 » by greenroom31 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Hard to know what this thread is really about. If it's to be taken literally then no way is IT going to be league MVP or even a top 5 contender (LeBron, Harden, Curry or Durant, CP3, Westbrook all almost certain to be ahead of him).

If the thread is about whether or not IT is good enough to be the starting PG on a championship team I think the answer is obviously yes. Mario Chalmers is a two-time starting PG on a championship team. Derek Fisher was a championship PG (before he spent time trying to sleep with his buddies ex-wives). There are lots of worse PGs on that list.

If the thread is about whether or not IT is good enough to carry a team a championship that otherwise would be like a #4-6 seed, then the answer is no. He has too many deficiencies as a defender to singlehandedly elevate a team to a title. FWIW, so does pretty much every player in the NBA other than maybe LeBron.

I don't think the issue with the team is IT at all. The problem with winning a title is bringing in other quality player to help him. The style of team we seem to be trying to build is more like the 2004 Pistons team, with a bunch of borderline all-stars rather than a couple of superstars and some role players. Between AB, Crowder, IT and Horford we have 4 guys who fit the mold. We need another quality big man who can rebound and protect the rim (i.e. the Anti-Zeller) and then either need to acquire or develop a lead scorer for the bench unit.

Could IT fulfill that bench-scorer role? Sure, but then we have another big gap to fill with the starters which sort of defeats the purpose. It's like if a football team has two great wide receivers so they trade one for a running back. Well now that one great WR is going to get double teamed every game so you've turned a strength into a weakness and now you need another good WR.
KGboss
RealGM

Post#108 » by KGboss » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:27 pm

Hes is 8th in scoring currently at 26.8 ppg and he has a PER of 26.3 which is higher so far this year than Curry or Lebron.

Yah. Kids a star.

Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#109 » by Writebloc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:28 pm

Read on Twitter
jrob23
Starter

Post#110 » by jrob23 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:01 am

typical inarticulate fanboy. I'm sure you'll answer with a nonsense one word response, but tell me...where do you rank him among PGs in the NBA?
jrob23
Starter

Post#111 » by jrob23 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:15 am

KGboss wrote:Hes is 8th in scoring currently at 26.8 ppg and he has a PER of 26.3 which is higher so far this year than Curry or Lebron.

Yah. Kids a star.

That's the problem with so many of you...all you seem to care about is offense. Hard to take your opinions seriously when you don't account for 50% of the game. It doesn't really matter, I can't see DA paying him what he'll be asking for in a couple of years when this team might be ready to win a championship with our young guys and BK picks.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#112 » by Pacino62 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:37 am

jrob23 wrote:

typical inarticulate fanboy. I'm sure you'll answer with a nonsense one word response, but tell me...where do you rank him among PGs in the NBA?

Hmmmmm
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
KGboss
RealGM

Post#113 » by KGboss » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:28 am

jrob23 wrote:
KGboss wrote:Hes is 8th in scoring currently at 26.8 ppg and he has a PER of 26.3 which is higher so far this year than Curry or Lebron.

Yah. Kids a star.

That's the problem with so many of you...all you seem to care about is offense. Hard to take your opinions seriously when you don't account for 50% of the game. It doesn't really matter, I can't see DA paying him what he'll be asking for in a couple of years when this team might be ready to win a championship with our young guys and BK picks.

we arent not accounting for his defensive limitations but he makes up[ for it on the offensive end in spades. Same goes for Harden. Another guard who sucks at defense but hes a star because offensively he kills it. If you excel at something that only maybe 10 guys in the league can match or beat you at, especially when it is as something as important as putting that orange in the basket, youre a star. You cant dismiss a guy all together just because hes not a full fledged 2 way player. Thats just idiotic.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#114 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:54 am

He didn't look like an MVP tonight.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
KGboss
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: IT 4 MVP 

Post#115 » by KGboss » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:57 am

Curmudgeon wrote:He didn't look like an MVP tonight.

Another 23 point night. Do we win this game without him?

Answer is no.

OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#116 » by OFWGKTA » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:05 am

Curmudgeon wrote:He didn't look like an MVP tonight.

Cmon at least wait til a worse game than 23/5. I understand that's a bad game by his standards, but he can't score 30 every night!
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#117 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:07 am

jrob23 wrote:

Yah. Kids a star.

Funny how many people also slay Smart on this board for his offense, considering his abilities in the other 50% of the game.
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#118 » by Writebloc » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:56 am

jrob23 wrote:

Dude, you're posting on a Celtic's forum, guess what you're a "fanboy" too, except worse because you have an attitude where you think your the smartest guy on the board. We get it, Rozier is your binky he could play just as well as IT, Nader should be up and Brown should be in the D League, and Kay Felder, Dejonte Murray, and Brice Johnson are all next level elite talent. A piece of advice LBF amongst others have curried more favor on this board than any of your snide remarks ever will. Unless you're Woj himself you don't possess any more basketball knowledge than any of us, stop posting as if you do.
jrob23
Starter

Post#119 » by jrob23 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:03 am

Writebloc wrote:
jrob23 wrote:

Dude, you're posting on a Celtic's forum, guess what you're a "fanboy" too, except worse because you have an attitude where you think your the smartest guy on the board. We get it, Rozier is your binky he could play just as well as IT, Nader should be up and Brown should be in the D League, and Kay Felder, Dejonte Murray, and Brice Johnson are all next level elite talent. A piece of advice LBF amongst others have curried more favor on this board than any of your snide remarks ever will. Unless you're Woj himself you don't possess any more basketball knowledge than any of us, stop posting as if you do.

triggered
jrob23
Starter

Post#120 » by jrob23 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:08 am

Ed Pinkney wrote:
jrob23 wrote:

Yah. Kids a star.

Funny how many people also slay Smart on this board for his offense, considering his abilities in the other 50% of the game.

Pretty much. I think the minor difference is Smart has great size for his position and isn't a finished product offensively at 22 y/o. IT for his contract is the best bargain in the league by far.

Return to Boston Celtics