ImageImageImage

Afam Appreciation Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,263

Re: Afam Appreciation Thread 

Post#41 » by brackdan70 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:20 am

I tried to be tolerant of the whiney little fella'. If he comes back I am going to try and be more passive aggressive.
Sign here
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#42 » by SMTBSI » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:39 am

Froob wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:
tlee324 wrote:I never understood announcements like that on message boards. I've been posting online talking basketball for a long time, since the Yahoo message boards in the late 90's, lol, and there's always somebody who has to announce they aren't posting on the boards anymore. It's always been an odd exercise.

It's an attention thing. I've been lurking/posting on this site forever and the prominent posters who really stop just disappear.

I kinda wish they did tell us when they left. We've lost some good dudes over the years and wish we could have said goodbye.

It's a balance. If you're really quitting, say goodbye. If you quit once a year and make sure to let everyone know each time, well...
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#43 » by Smitty731 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:42 am

SMTBSI wrote:
Froob wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:
It's an attention thing. I've been lurking/posting on this site forever and the prominent posters who really stop just disappear.

I kinda wish they did tell us when they left. We've lost some good dudes over the years and wish we could have said goodbye.

It's a balance thing. If you're really quitting, say goodbye. If you quit once a year and make sure to let everyone know each time, well...

Somewhat related, I do wish there was a way to know if something was seriously wrong with someone who disappeared for a while.

Morbid as it may be, I've left my family a note on how to log in and where to post if something happens to me. I got the idea from my Dad from a site he's on with his Army buddies.

Not that I expect anyone to go crazy, but I feel like with as much time as I spend on here, people might get curious. We are a strange little family that way!
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,268

Post#44 » by Froob » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:55 am

Smitty731 wrote:
SMTBSI wrote:
Froob wrote:I kinda wish they did tell us when they left. We've lost some good dudes over the years and wish we could have said goodbye.

It's a balance thing. If you're really quitting, say goodbye. If you quit once a year and make sure to let everyone know each time, well...

Somewhat related, I do wish there was a way to know if something was seriously wrong with someone who disappeared for a while.

Morbid as it may be, I've left my family a note on how to log in and where to post if something happens to me. I got the idea from my Dad from a site he's on with his Army buddies.

Not that I expect anyone to go crazy, but I feel like with as much time as I spend on here, people might get curious. We are a strange little family that way!

If I go a day without posting during the season, just assume I'm dead :lol: .

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#45 » by SMTBSI » Wed Dec 7, 2016 4:13 am

Froob wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:Somewhat related, I do wish there was a way to know if something was seriously wrong with someone who disappeared for a while.

If I go a day without posting during the season, just assume I'm dead :lol: .

I backpack a lot, but pretty much exclusively during the summer. I enjoy remoteness (happiest when I don't see another human for days), and one-wrong-move levels of exposure, often together. For some reason, it puts me at peace to know that there's no safety net - that I'm depending only on my ability, preparation, and focus.

That said, I don't believe the risks I take are too crazy - I think I'm pretty fair at self-assessing my ability level and contingency planning, always do a lot of research, and I don't suffer from "summit fever" - I can and do bail out if it's not right.

Point is, if I ever take off on a summer trek, and I'm not back by the time the snow starts falling, then there's a very real possibility I actually fell off a mountain (or got crushed in a rockslide, which is the nature of the closest call I've had so far (or was eaten by a marmot, etc.)).
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#46 » by SichtingLives » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:42 am

I've already told my wife to log on to the few sites I'm a regular at and let people know if I teleport out of orbit for good. This is all still kinda new in terms of human socialization (the whole internet community thing), although not really that new. There are a lot of boards where people are tight, maybe get together irl and have known each other going on close to 20 years now and after all, people actually do die and I've seen it happen on a lot of forums as well as here on realgm where a loved will come and say hey, my husband TRIPLETHREAT88 got hit by a bus or whatever, his name was Bob, so on and so forth. It's just nice to get some closure and remembrance of someone. And I just had to put down and bury my best pet friend quite out of nowhere last week so hey folks, reach out and have a little contingency plan. You might be surprised that people on these forums actually care about you.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#47 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:42 am

Almost positive a dude on my other board died recently. Super frequent poster for like 15 years and nothing for 2-3 months. He was such a dick it's hard to be sad, though.

Another guy that was really cool got cancer and his wife came and posted in some threads after he died. That was heavy.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#48 » by jirrit » Wed Dec 7, 2016 12:02 pm

I used to be registered on a Belgian sports forums from 2000 to 2008 and I became a moderator there. In the time I was there 5 differrent mods died. Two of a heart attack, another had meningitis, one had a bike accident and the last one took his life after his 20.000th post. Really weird and they were all 20-30 years old. The oldest was 34 years. The forum also died after ten years. I think the board was almost as busy as this whole Celtic board alltogether so only 1/30th of whole realgm. It was like being an admin/mod there gave you a 50% dead chance. We have collected money to send flowers and went to funerals also. Good and bitter times....
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,051

Post#49 » by London2Boston » Wed Dec 7, 2016 2:21 pm

This thread turned bleak all of a sudden. That said, if I don't post after Thursday then send a search squad for me out in Ukraine :lol: .
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#50 » by jirrit » Wed Dec 7, 2016 2:52 pm

London2Boston wrote:This thread turned bleak all of a sudden. That said, if I don't post after Thursday then send a search squad for me out in Ukraine :lol: .

Drama is a perfect kind of appreciation for Afam :-) No, no need to pick on you Afam. Just come back, enjoy the forums and don't take this personal!

Return to Boston Celtics