ImageImageImage

Horford -26/yr million. Was it worth it?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Re: Horford -26/yr million sham 

Post#121 » by Marvel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:03 am

I don't think Crowder is part of the core. Maybe last year but even then 1 good year doesn't make you part of any core. If he is then we got a problem.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#122 » by jayu70 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:20 pm

DijonRondo wrote:Honestly, I expected more out of Horford. Now, I know what you guys are going to say. "But Dijon, he's the same player as he was in Atlanta! What did you expect?"

But he was competing for touches with a beast in Paul Millsap.

This dude used to average 19 points and 8 rebounds. Who the **** on this team in the front court is going to challenge Horford for touches and opportunities? He's getting out rebounded by **** Bradley. I honestly expected him to have a bump in numbers merely out of a lack of competition on our end.

That being said, he's an upgrade to any big we were trotting out last year, and I'm glad he's on the team. Overpaid and disappointing, but still better than anything we could have gotten.

Al has never averaged that for multiple years. That he did for 1 year for 29 games after which he was out the rest of the season with a pec tear. He's more of a 15 and 8 guy. That is who he is.
DijonRondo
Veteran
And1: 1,801

Post#123 » by DijonRondo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Marvel wrote:I don't think Crowder is part of the core. Maybe last year but even then 1 good year doesn't make you part of any core. If he is then we got a problem.

Crowder needs to get his Future lookin' ass off this team if he can't handle trade/FA rumours, period. Especially if his play suffers from it.

Remember when Ray Allen and Rondo were part of dozens and dozens of rumours in the early 10's? There were some awkward moments that ultimately led to Allen performing a Judas, but at least they didn't go **** in public and have their play suffer.

There are gonna be dozens more trade rumours for Bradley and Crowder, especially with their cheap contracts. Deal with it or go back up Barnes in Dallas.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#124 » by Dannyboy36 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:30 pm

I don't think it's quite on the level to tell posters that are critical of Al that " this is what you should have expected." Just because you have this opinion doesn't mean you don't watch basketball.
I expected a tad better in the boards dept. because we literally have no other big man that really goes for them. I thought Horford should be better in this category and imo, effort has something to do with it. Most people had the Celtics leapfrogging ahead of Toronto and that was mostly due to the addition of Al. I don't care he makes so much. He's been excellent in every other category. If I had a time machine I personally would not offer him the deal but I can definitely be proven wrong if the Celtics can swing some other major deal. Hope so.
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#125 » by OFWGKTA » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:33 pm

I expected him to be slightly better rebounding (he has been lately it seems), and a steady presence in crunch time (he hasn't been whatsoever)
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#126 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Two or three years ago, would you have been ok with paying an All Star front court player in their late 20's with more of a second banana game $13-15 million a year? That's basically what this contract is like in this new cap. In two years, old cap numbers and contracts will have basically doubled.

I have no problem with Horford the player or his contract. He cost nothing but cap space, is a great player on both sides of the ball, is a good guy on and off the court, and makes the team better.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,650

Post#127 » by Green89 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Horford will look tremendously better once we add a true center.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#128 » by Dannyboy36 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:03 pm

Who the heck is that center gonna be? I just don't see anyone. Unfortunate draft classes these past couple of years in that regard.
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#129 » by Writebloc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:08 pm

I know it messes with future cap space, but I'd think that Ainge and Zarren are smart enough guys to figure it out, but I would really like to see Nerlens in that role. He just seems like the type of defensive player that would fit in well with this team, not sure if he's the best rebounder, ironically Okafor would likely fit that mold better, but Noel is the guy that I think Ainge should pull the trigger on.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,373

Post#130 » by Homerclease » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:Who the heck is that center gonna be? I just don't see anyone. Unfortunate draft classes these past couple of years in that regard.

Could be Zizic, could be Noel, could be someone in the next two drafts
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#131 » by claycarver » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:Who the heck is that center gonna be? I just don't see anyone. Unfortunate draft classes these past couple of years in that regard.

Could be Zizic, could be Noel, could be someone in the next two drafts

Zizic and Noel should tighten up the center position.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#132 » by Dannyboy36 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:42 pm

I could see Noel doing well in the center role. I'm not super impressed by Zizic. Not as a starter, anyways. Outside of Noel I have no idea.
I don't think Stevens could handle Boogie and likely told Danny he wants no part of him so I think that road is closed. this year's draft seems to be point guard and guard heavy. Grr.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#133 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Horford is doing a nice job.

HE's a good player. Not a great player. The only sham is those who thought he was some kind of high-scoring all-star.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18458148

I don't get what the issue is here. He is playing as expected,
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,276

Post#134 » by Froob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:46 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Horford is doing a nice job.

HE's a good player. Not a great player. The only sham is those who thought he was some kind of high-scoring all-star.

Need a better rebounder than Amir to pair him with, sucks when both your bigs are poor rebounders. Al is a great player but not a very good rebounder. Amir just kinda sucks in general...

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Shamrock
Head Coach
And1: 5,064

Post#135 » by Shamrock » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Yeah, he's not a top option offensively. I think he'll thrive once we add another go-to scorer (Hayward, Griffin type).
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#136 » by jmr07019 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:58 pm

I was skeptical of signing Horford to a max but we did. Salary wise this year is not a problem and what is he really stopping us from doing next offseason? Having room to offer both Hayward and Griffin maxes? I would rather have Horford / Griffin than Hayward / Griffin considering our perimeter talent and lack of big men. The only potential issue is years 3-4 of the contract from a salary perspective.

I'm not thrilled with 15/7 but as long as he holds steady and doesn't drop to 12/5 were good
Show Love Spread Love
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,908

Post#137 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:54 pm

Averaging over $28M/yr. = I Never liked the Signing. Even less now.

I'd much rather add those $28M split to the contracts of Thomas, Bradley, Smart and Crowder.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#138 » by Writebloc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:I could see Noel doing well in the center role. I'm not super impressed by Zizic. Not as a starter, anyways. Outside of Noel I have no idea.
I don't think Stevens could handle Boogie and likely told Danny he wants no part of him so I think that road is closed. this year's draft seems to be point guard and guard heavy. Grr.

Doesn't really matter if Stevens could handle Boogie or not he's not getting traded. The road has been closed for a long time, people are only now recognizing the situation, especially after the new CBA came out with the designated veteran exemptions. I think instead of terming it as "not being to handle a player" it might be that Brad is smart enough to recognize that Boogie can't/won't fit into the team system that the Celtic's play in. He would be a net negative as opposed to a positive force.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,318

Post#139 » by Gant » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:I could see Noel doing well in the center role. I'm not super impressed by Zizic. Not as a starter, anyways. Outside of Noel I have no idea.

I do think Zizic will help immediately because his strengths fill the team's main weaknesses (size, length, toughness, rebounding, presence). He's very young and could easily become starter quality, though that's not a sure thing and they do need someone else.

Hopefully Detroit will falter and Drummond will become available, maybe even as soon as next month's deadline. If not, someone will sometime. I like Noel too.

Ainge and co. know this is a major problem and will be working on it.

As for Horford, he's doing fine though he's had a slight drop in rebounding. Optimally, he needs a taller bigger guy next to him just like he needed in Atlanta. Amir and Horford is not the ideal pairing.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#140 » by SMTBSI » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Man, if this thread is going to be on the frontpage for the rest of the season (it will be), can we at least change the title to something more respectable? Like, "RE: Horford's value", or "Hey, fans of other teams! Come in here for your daily dose of schadenfreude!"

Return to Boston Celtics