ImageImageImage

Crowder's mad at fans for cheering Hayward

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Re: Crowder's mad at fans for cheering Hayward 

Post#241 » by GreenBloodedC » Thu Jan 5, 2017 3:17 am

Valid wrote:Two weeks from now, this will all be ancient history. Point blank. Period.

Let's beat Philly's ass Friday night, give Crowder a standing ovation and then move on.

I hope we give Crowder a standing ovation just to let him feel appreciated.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#242 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Thu Jan 5, 2017 3:21 am

Jae is not being smart.

Certainly not thinking about anything except himself. Be a team player, and when the team is a bigger success he will be rewarded.

If you are fighting a war in your M4 Sherman tank, and then someone arrives in your unit with an M1 Abrams, you should be happy and thankful.

Hayward, would certainly be a huge upgrade to the team. Durant would have been just like Hayward, making the team much better and probably at Crowder's position. Crowder didn't complain about Durant, why would he now complain about Hayward?

If Crowder was smart, he would know that Hayward would probably take fewer minutes off him than Durant would have.

Don't remember anyone complaining about Horford and his possible arrival.

Long-term, can't keep Thomas, Bradley and Crowder. If Crowder wants to get paid and all the attention, the Nets, Raptors or some other obscure team are out there for him.

Crowder better not see any Celtics fans watching college basketball, any time they say Tatum, Jackson, Markkanen or Isaac are playing well Jae will break his telephone.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#243 » by jrob23 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 5:32 am

Dannyboy36 wrote:
jrob23 wrote:
truth18 wrote:
Wtf are you guys talking about? Kenhov can't have an opinion on this that involves race because you don't like it? Deal with it, that's how he feels.

I am THE poster that defends Boston as not being anymore racist than the rest of the country (which is pretty racist but not on the levels of big cities Chicago, Portland OR, NYC, Philly, etc), I do it more than anyone here, but optics on race are definitely real when it comes to our franchise, fair or not (it's not), and if you think Crowder won't remember those racist comments in his Twitter feed, you are kidding yourself.

I don't personally believe this has anything to do with race (the cheering for Hayward), but calling Kenhov the "real racist" and ****? GTFO with your sensitive ass. People have different opinions sometimes. Imagine that.

then GTFO with your sensitive ass and let those people who think Kenhov needs to relax...have their opinions. See how that works?

I see that you feel the need to be rude to get your point across.

OMG...post was as weak as Jae's crying. :banghead:
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#244 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 5:39 am

In this case, I wouldn't rule out race as a small factor in what happened even before things went to Twitter. What if Hayward was somehow literally the exact same player/same stats/same character/same age who played for Stevens in college but was black? It would be interesting to see how this entire situation would have played out. I suspect talk radio probably gives him less coverage so fans cheer a little bit less but still cheer loud enough to get Crowder's attention because of the Steven's connection.

Now on to basketball a bit. Does this cheering during bball games even work in helping recruit pending NBA FAs? In some respect, I think cheering your returning players is more helpful then cheering the opposition players about to hit FA.... I think players realize they are being courted and can see through it in many cases. Not saying its a terrible tactic but as more fanbases do it, it probably loses its luster unless the cheering is perhaps in a somewhat unexpected situation. But cheer for guys like Tony Allen/Perkins/Posey and not just the former stars and I think that gets noticed.

I can see Crowder's frustration since he has to know that he is underpaid by nba standards and given that context, I wish the fans didn't cheer. It is one thing to be underpaid but then when you think you may be under-appreciated it adds insult to injury. So, I actually think his after the game comments to the press were at least understandable. He could have done it with some humor and understanding but it was fair to make a point in that medium.

He probably shouldn't have taken it to Twitter as well since it just made a bigger deal of the situation than necessary. That becomes unfair to the Boston Celtics fans as a whole especially when Crowder chooses to react. There will always be some idiotic fans on Twitter who probably don't own Celtics tickets and with Twitter some of the people posting may not even be Celtics fans.
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,224

Post#245 » by Parasite » Thu Jan 5, 2017 6:42 am

jfs1000d wrote:
Parasite wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
Wait. I back Jae here. Fans openly groveling for his replacement. GROVELING, when the guy puts so much effort and heart into the game.

This is Crowder's replacement. HIS REPLACEMENT. Crowder doesn't want to go anywhere. He got pissed because he feels underappreciated. Fans should give him a standing ovation next introductions. Guy has played his heart out and is a terrific player.

AND, I AM FIRST IN THE GET GORDON HAYWARD CAMP. I love Crowder as a defensive wing player and a stretch 4 in a small lineup.

Who cares?? Seriously. WHO CARES?? So some idiots cheered for Hayward. Big deal. I was at a game where it seemed like the whole damn place cheered for Kobe Bryant. These people make millions of dollars a year to be professional basketball players. PROFESSIONAL.

Screw it. I grew up watching real men play the game in the '80s. Do you think for a second Larry Bird, Julius Erving, or Magic Johnson would throw a temper tantrum over something like this?

So soft these days. So soft. Now get off my lawn.

The answer is YES. Larry would have had a fit. Magic would have whined. Are you forgetting that Larry Bird was a coach killer early in his career and Magic got Paul westhead fired.

No?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Neither one of them would have whined to the media if some drunken and/or idiotic fans would have cheered for a player from the other team that happened to play their position. Now you are bringing up coach killers? What does that have to do with anything? That's a completely different topic.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#246 » by jirrit » Thu Jan 5, 2017 11:37 am

jfs1000d wrote:Dude. If you walked into work, and you bust your ass, and then a potential hire comes by and everyone fawns over him, how would you feel? Especially if you think you are better than him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Only a few co-workers (where you maybe don't get along with) are applauding the new guy. Your reaction is to send a message to everyone (i mean every, every, every, every one) to say you have no problem with leaving the company and blabla. It's a massive overreaction. I understand how he could feel himself but he should not feel like you say he should feel, since only a couple of fans cheered. If ten fans say bad things in a quiet stadium, I'm not gonna say F the city, F the franchise I'm outta here. Just dumb. But let's close the case. He should think a bit more before posting things like that. People in a stadium or in large facebook/Twitter groups are always gonna shout dumb things, the dumbest people first.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#247 » by Dannyboy36 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 12:31 pm

jrob23 wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:
jrob23 wrote:
then GTFO with your sensitive ass and let those people who think Kenhov needs to relax...have their opinions. See how that works?

I see that you feel the need to be rude to get your point across.

OMG...post was as weak as Jae's crying. :banghead:

Lol. It's just easy to not be nasty. You can make your int just as easy. You're the one doing your mind getting all angry.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#248 » by Dannyboy36 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 12:36 pm

Ugh. My apologies. Phone crapping out.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,281

Post#249 » by chrisab123 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 1:49 pm

Boston has been linked to many stars and since this city craves stars for the Celtics they cheer stars or perceived stars. Hayward KD DMC Butler all get cheered. Only one is white. So yeah it's not a race thing at all and shame on anyone for trying to bait people otherwise.

I think Crowder isn't oblivious to the talks. He's tired of hearing about getting moved or being replaced. I think Hayward was just his breaking point because this team has been linked to him for two years.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM

Post#250 » by GreenBloodedC » Thu Jan 5, 2017 2:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#251 » by Dannyboy36 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 4:51 pm

I'm pretty bad at the salary cap stuff, but even if Hayward doesn't put us over the hump to beating the Cavs or GS, couldn't he become our #3 star for the NEXT run after Horford has declined and will be soon to be off the books? There are so many variables it's so hard to predict what will happen but I wondered if this could be a silver lining as Hayward may be hitting his prime in 3 years if he stays healthy and keeps improving. Just a thought.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM

Post#252 » by GreenBloodedC » Thu Jan 5, 2017 5:14 pm

Read on Twitter
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#253 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 5:48 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:I'm pretty bad at the salary cap stuff, but even if Hayward doesn't put us over the hump to beating the Cavs or GS, couldn't he become our #3 star for the NEXT run after Horford has declined and will be soon to be off the books? There are so many variables it's so hard to predict what will happen but I wondered if this could be a silver lining as Hayward may be hitting his prime in 3 years if he stays healthy and keeps improving. Just a thought.

IMHO players best years are usually in their 20's and mid 20's. In 3 years, Hayward will be nearly 30 and most players have begun a decline by that time. Sure some examples of players getting better and having career years at 30+ but there are simply more examples of players being much worse.

Horford will be on the books until the end of the 2019-2020 season so Hayward will have already turned 30 by then. I suspect Hayward will be worse and not better than he is now by the time Horford is off the books completely.

If you sign Hayward, it has to be with the plan of contending for a championship next year and I don't see how he narrows enough of that gap without some blockbuster moves at the same time. If the Celtics are trying to build around a hopefully developing Jaylen Brown and the following 2 Nets picks, they actually have to start shedding some of their aging players and replace them with players under the age of 25. Hayward is almost 27 right now so he is too old for that strategy.

So right now, Ainge is somewhat boxed in with limited options if he wants to win a title anytime soon while not be relying upon massive luck like injuries to both Cleveland and whoever comes out of the WC. Can he realistically even trade Horford? It really looks terrible to trade a fairly big FA so quickly....and I think Ainge gets that.

If they are trying to go for it, they need to go for it fairly soon since Smart/Bradley/IT all have contracts expiring at the end of next year and all 3 will probably be much more expensive. 2 of the 3 I doubt will be as good on their next contracts. Smart should be at least a little better but other teams will know that so he may be more expensive than his stats suggest.
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 660

Post#254 » by DelMonte West » Thu Jan 5, 2017 7:24 pm

Has there ever been anything more pointless than Twitter? Virtually everyone comes to regret what they post or otherwise comes off as completely foolish.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,517

Post#255 » by 165bows » Thu Jan 5, 2017 8:36 pm

A thread that I almost started a few times recently goes like this:

Tons of comments were made at times this season that are versions of 'we weren't on the same page defensively,' 'we didn't fully implement the game plan,' or 'we didn't bring the right energy tonight' this season. In addition, the team at times early on (less so as of late) looked lackluster as **** and couldn't disrupt a junior college team.

So I've been wondering who is being referred to with these regular comments. Has anyone else felt those comments were a regular trend, and if so, wondered who was most responsible?

I'm not pointing a finger at Jae here, but it did make me revisit the topic once the team looked really good against a very good team with a motivated Jae, and Ainge's tongue in cheek comments along the lines of 'please motivate our players that way very game.'

Just something that's been in the back of my mind for the last couple of months here.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,779

Post#256 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jan 5, 2017 8:45 pm

Hey, if it motivates Jae to play as well as it did against Utah, maybe we ought to disrespect him more.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#257 » by sully00 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 8:45 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
sully00 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:I'm pretty sure the garden was cheering quite loudly every time Crowder buried a 3 last night. Hell didn't they just give Gerald Green his first standing ovation of his career barely a week ago?

That isn't the point. The Boston Garden should be a place that opposing teams hate to play not a place where the fan base hits on you like you are 19 year old super model. I want the fanbase that booed, threatened and screamed terrible things at Dr. J, Kurt Rambis, and Rick Mahorn. That went after Jason Kidd every time he touched the ball. I want guys to want to come to Boston so they don't have to play against Boston anymore. I guarantee you that one of the reasons Horford came to Boston is knowing how hard it was to come into that building in a playoff game. The problem is that our playoff fans (myself included) are also a bunch of front runners that aren't going all out for tickets in the regular season for a 3rd place team. So Boston is 25th in attendance and a bunch of people with no identity in the building.

To be fair, didn't we try that with Durant this year and get told that max FA's won't consider us because of this? I feel like it's damned if we do and damned if we don't.

No with Durant we cried because he didn't choose us in FA which is just as lame as cheering for him when he came here in a visitors uniform. If you are on the other team you are the enemy we shouldn't expect them to like us more because we were soft on them. Yankee fans and Red Sox fans aren't soft on opposing players they are brutal then when you put the shirt on we love you.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#258 » by truth18 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 8:55 pm

sully00 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
sully00 wrote:That isn't the point. The Boston Garden should be a place that opposing teams hate to play not a place where the fan base hits on you like you are 19 year old super model. I want the fanbase that booed, threatened and screamed terrible things at Dr. J, Kurt Rambis, and Rick Mahorn. That went after Jason Kidd every time he touched the ball. I want guys to want to come to Boston so they don't have to play against Boston anymore. I guarantee you that one of the reasons Horford came to Boston is knowing how hard it was to come into that building in a playoff game. The problem is that our playoff fans (myself included) are also a bunch of front runners that aren't going all out for tickets in the regular season for a 3rd place team. So Boston is 25th in attendance and a bunch of people with no identity in the building.

To be fair, didn't we try that with Durant this year and get told that max FA's won't consider us because of this? I feel like it's damned if we do and damned if we don't.

No with Durant we cried because he didn't choose us in FA which is just as lame as cheering for him when he came here in a visitors uniform. If you are on the other team you are the enemy we shouldn't expect them to like us more because we were soft on them. Yankee fans and Red Sox fans aren't soft on opposing players they are brutal then when you put the shirt on we love you.

Garden has been really soft my entire life. Big three years were decent at times but any winning team will have a decent crowd response.

From what my parents have told me about the Bird era, it was almost the opposite. Some wild stories and my parents didn't even go to that many games.

We really need our edge back. Multiple Kobe MVP chats over the years have made me want to cry.
YOU LOSE
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#259 » by Dannyboy36 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 9:09 pm

I remember when we stunk and for my birthday my brother got me tickets to a game vs the Spurs behind one of the baskets . We were down but not completely out of it, since we went on like a 10-0 run at the end of the half.
I was up cheering and a group of six people, 3 guys, 3 girls were all yelling at me to sit down. They were enraged at me. I just looked back shaking my head in dissapointment while they paid half attention to the game and jabbered on about other sports.
Then when Jason Varitek came to hold the ball for Lucky to do his final slam dunk at halftime they lost their sh$t.
I was so disgusted.
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 660

Post#260 » by DelMonte West » Fri Jan 6, 2017 12:36 am

Dannyboy36 wrote:I remember when we stunk and for my birthday my brother got me tickets to a game vs the Spurs behind one of the baskets . We were down but not completely out of it, since we went on like a 10-0 run at the end of the half.
I was up cheering and a group of six people, 3 guys, 3 girls were all yelling at me to sit down. They were enraged at me. I just looked back shaking my head in dissapointment while they paid half attention to the game and jabbered on about other sports.
Then when Jason Varitek came to hold the ball for Lucky to do his final slam dunk at halftime they lost their sh$t.
I was so disgusted.

I was at a game back in April 2012 against the Jazz, and these people in our area were trying to start the friggin' WAVE.

Return to Boston Celtics