ImageImageImage

Possible Trade Partners for Isaiah?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Stadium5
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,556

Post#1 » by Stadium5 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:13 pm

I'm thinking he's best used as a huge scoring spark for an already contending team in place that needs that little extra firepower to put them at the next level. Keeping his contract in mind, we have to assume the team that would be trading for him is trying to compete now and is willing to take on his expiring deal to try and get at least one good run with him before the payday. What are some possible landing spots for him?

Houston - To add to an already explosive offensive attack

Milwaukee - Adding a pure scorer like IT would be huge for them, especially since they have the size at every other position to offset him

LA Clippers - Depending on what happens with CP3 and Blake, if they want to take another run at it with that core adding IT is like adding another Jamal Crawford that puts them on Houston's level offensively. They also have Deandre that can cover the lane if IT has defensive issues

Memphis - Theyre paralyzed with Conley, Parson, and Gasol's contracts. May as well try to compete..IT could add that scoring juice that might help them make a little more noise. If not, his contract is small enough to take on next year, and expires after the year is over

New Orleans - Adding Isaiah the scoring spark with the twin towers behind him could be something they might think is worth trying. Add a CP3 homecoming into the mix and they have some good potential with alot of interesting mismatches for opponents.

Oklahoma City - Personally, I don;t see IT co-existing next to Westbrook. But they look pretty desperate for scoring options besides Russ. Maybe it's the perfect place for IT to come in as the 6th man scoring spark?

Just a few potential spots off the top of my head. What kind of return do you think we could realistically get for him? The idea would be for an established team to bite the bullet and pay up with a future asset so they have the luxury of having that instant boost to their team. If I'm Ainge I try to forecast a team that will be on the down in a few years, and get an unprotected 1st from them. If we're hoping for a high drafted Point Guard this year we need to make space anyways. I definitely don't think IT is worth the money he's going to ask for. He's been criminally underpaid for his career, he's definitely going to cash in
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,495

Re: Possible Trade Partners for Isaiah? 

Post#2 » by VeryMuchWoke » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 pm

At the trade deadline I advocated moving him to a team where the GM needed to save his job. I mentioned Hennigan and Demps. Both of those ships have sailed, but it's likely that others like them will dock next season. He's got to go somewhere that's really struggling so that we can net a lottery pick and a nice young player.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#3 » by jmr07019 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:50 pm

F that. If we are trading Isaiah I am looking for a better asset than what those teams can offer. I am trying to see if Minni or Philly wants to start winning and will give up a lotto pick. Those two are unlikely but you gotta try. I think New York would give up their lotto pick and then some for IT and that's better than any of the teams you listed.
Show Love Spread Love
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#4 » by jmr07019 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Dallas, Detroit and Dallas are all lotto teams I could see giving up a pick for IT

Edit - meant Miami as the 3rd team
Show Love Spread Love
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#5 » by Bohemian » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Come on guys, Isaiah is staying in Boston for the long term. The guy has given us his 200% since he is here and so has the organization for him. We are building around him not without him.
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#6 » by jmr07019 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Bohemian wrote:Come on guys, Isaiah is staying in Boston for the long term. The guy has given us his 200% since he is here and so has the organization for him. We are building around him not without him.

I mostly agree but if we strike out in FA this year and can't trade for another star we gotta consider it
Show Love Spread Love
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#7 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:56 pm

I think Dallas is the natural fit. They are very win-now. Rick Carlisle loves scoring guards, even pint-sized ones. They were a terrible offensive team. They've got plenty of size at the other positions.

Isaiah for #9 makes some sense.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,351

Post#8 » by reload141 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Don't think many teams want him tbh. I know some may think "But why?!" But the main reason is, is that he fits this system that is built here.
Remember that he signed that subpar 3 year deal when Sac didn't want to re-sign him and Phoenix threw a lifeline out.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#9 » by Pacino62 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 pm

In no way am I advocating an IT trade. However, New Orleans makes a hell of a lot of sense. Particularly with their pick.

Indiana is a great spot too, to pair with George. Maybe they'd give up Turner and their pick. Turner isn't doing **** in the playoffs.

There's a lot that could happen.

*Lakers could sign a free agent and then move assets for a guy like IT.

*Knicks could be a spot to pair with Zinger. They won't want to bottom out.

*Could pair well with Butler and Wade if Rondo bolts as well
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
Stadium5
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by Stadium5 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Pacino62 wrote:In no way am I advocating an IT trade. However, New Orleans makes a hell of a lot of sense. Particularly with their pick.

Indiana is a great spot too, to pair with George. Maybe they'd give up Turner and their pick. Turner isn't doing **** in the playoffs.

There's a lot that could happen.

*Lakers could sign a free agent and then move assets for a guy like IT.

*Knicks could be a spot to pair with Zinger. They won't want to bottom out.

*Could pair well with Butler and Wade if Rondo bolts as well

Sounds like the options are there. If a good one comes along we should take it
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#11 » by SMTBSI » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:53 pm

If I'm trading IT, I'm doing whatever I can to leverage the best single-asset return possible. So the angle would be something like:

- Pair IT and AB. Next year they make 15.1mil combined, so easily matchable by most teams, even those with not great cap flexibility.
- Take back bad money in return, if possible.
- And again, I'm looking for the best single asset. Not interested in spreading the return out over several lesser pieces.

Targets would be things like LAL 1st, PHI 1st, Myles Turner... I'm pushing hard for something in that class.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#12 » by jfs1000d » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:58 pm

If we trade IT. What's the point if having a team? Seriously. What in earth can he get us from another team to make us better?

We have no incentive to get worse, even if you wanted to go the Hinkie route.what is this obsession with being bad?

I mean, Myles turner and a pick? Turner is a guy who I would want, but will never be anything more than a starter. He is fungible.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
tfribs45
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,985

Post#13 » by tfribs45 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:02 pm

trade IT? this thread is fn laughable, I'm glad you Celts fans are ok with losing for another decade. get that **** outta here. Go get PG and add a BIG, and lets go!
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,134

Post#14 » by Froob » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:12 pm

It's obvious the Bulls messed up, Cavs are vulnerable. Should have given up their next 12 first round picks for IT.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
liveod
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,082

Post#15 » by liveod » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 pm

I wouldn't disrespect the legend by entertaining the idea of trading him. Isaiah is here to stay.
Celtics_Champs wrote:Abby Chin always looks good. She blocked me on Twitter and to this day I have no idea and I never said anything to her. One day I will see her on sidelines and ask her why oh why.
SMTBSI
RealGM

Post#16 » by SMTBSI » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:21 pm

jfs1000d wrote:If we trade IT. What's the point if having a team? Seriously. What in earth can he get us from another team to make us better?

We have no incentive to get worse, even if you wanted to go the Hinkie route.what is this obsession with being bad?

No one's talking about going full Hinkie. There are contract realities to factor in. IT at 7mil per has a different value than IT at 25-30mil per. It's not an insane conversation to have, to try to sell high and transpose some of that value difference into another asset.

Nor do I grant out-of-hand that there aren't possible offseasons where IT gets traded but the team remains a playoff squad in the east.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,056

Post#17 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:24 pm

This **** sounds like Toronto fans trying to trade Lowry everytime they lose. There's a lot of people ahead of Isaiah on the trade line. Guy has been a flat out stud for us..
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,517

Post#18 » by 165bows » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:27 pm

To LAL for either Russell, Ingram or their pick if they land #3 after the draft. None of these others seems remotely interesting or feasible.
Stadium5
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Stadium5 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:28 pm

SMTBSI wrote:If I'm trading IT, I'm doing whatever I can to leverage the best single-asset return possible. So the angle would be something like:

- Pair IT and AB. Next year they make 15.1mil combined, so easily matchable by most teams, even those with not great cap flexibility.
- Take back bad money in return, if possible.
- And again, I'm looking for the best single asset. Not interested in spreading the return out over several lesser pieces.

Targets would be things like LAL 1st, PHI 1st, Myles Turner... I'm pushing hard for something in that class.

I like it. This is exactly what our goal should be
SMTBSI
RealGM

Post#20 » by SMTBSI » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:32 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:This **** sounds like Toronto fans trying to trade Lowry everytime they lose. There's a lot of people ahead of Isaiah on the trade line. Guy has been a flat out stud for us..

Rookie contracts and true max players are the best value propositions in the league. Non-max players getting max money are arguably the worst. It's not just about how good IT is or isn't. It's about the historically weird cap environment ensuring he's about to lose a ton of value.

Now, we can debate whether or not IT is a true max-level guy. But it shouldn't be hard to understand why those who don't think he is would be starting to think about possible fallback plans.

Return to Boston Celtics