ImageImageImage

DarealJuice Draft Series Part 4: Jayson Tatum

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,763

DarealJuice Draft Series Part 4: Jayson Tatum 

Post#1 » by darealjuice » Fri Apr 7, 2017 4:35 pm

Hey guys, back again with the 4th installation of the draft write-ups I've been putting together for all the people who didn't watch a lot of college ball but want to get an idea of who the top guys are and what they offer. This time is on Jayson Tatum, a guy who I liked a lot going into this year and had high expectations for. Took awhile to get this one done between hating to watch Duke, finding games online after some of my usual spots went down, and my personal life getting a bit busier. Hope you guys enjoy this one, I like Tatum a lot and think he could be a very good scorer in the league if he keeps adding to his skill set and developing his shot.

Jayson Tatum - Duke University (Fr.)
Age on Draft Day: 19 years, 3.5 months
Height: 6’ 8.25”
Wingspan: 6’ 11”
Standing Reach: 8’ 10.5”

Games Available Online:
Will update after posted

Other Content:
Jayson Tatum vs. SFs:
Spoiler:

Jayson Tatum vs. PFs:
Spoiler:

Updated Jayson Tatum DX Breakdown and Video

Introduction

Jayson Tatum is next in line of a recent string of Duke Forwards that will be taken in the lottery, following up Brandon Ingram, Justise Winslow, and Jabari Parker. I went into this season with high expectations and a few questions for Tatum, namely his 3-point shooting and how he’d compete on defense, and while he showed flashes of both I’m not sure he really answered them for me. Physically, Tatum isn’t a raw, explosive athlete on the level of Josh Jackson or Dennis Smith Jr., but he has shown some sneaky athleticism at times and boasts a solid frame that should be able to pack on some muscle with solid-but-not-great length for an NBA Small Forward with the ability to play some small ball Power Forward like he did a lot at Duke. A lot of his offensive production comes out of isolation in various areas, but he was most successful working out of the mid-range on the wings where he could work his jab step and short crossovers to get his man off balance for a mid-range jumper or to get to the rim. He’s comfortable from scoring at all 3 levels at a relatively efficient rate (33.2% shots at the rim on 62 FG%, 35% of shots were 2-point jumpers on 39.4 FG%, 32% of shots from 3-point range on 34.2 3PT%), but was more successful as a catch-and-shoot guy from 3 with 35 of his 40 3-point shots being assisted. While his 3-point shooting wasn’t stellar this season, his proficiency at the free throw line (85%), sound shooting form, and high release lead me to believe he can further develop his outside shot to be a successful shooter from NBA 3. Tatum handles the ball fairly well for his position and became more capable at creating shots for himself and others as the season progressed, to the point where he might be able to expand his positional versatility and be comfortable playing spot minutes as a big Shooting Guard in bigger lineups in addition to a small ball Power Forward. He’s about average defensively in my eyes, he isn’t shockingly bad or lackadaisical and made some good plays in college, but he doesn’t project to be a lock down defender at the next level for me because he’s not overly long or active on that end and gets caught ball watching and out of a defensive stance off the ball more than you’d like.

Jayson Tatum’s game really doesn’t have a lot of glaring weaknesses to me: he’s got decent size, solid handles that need a little polish, a nice shooting form to build on, isn’t a big negative on defense, and he’s a pretty good playmaker. My questions with him as a prospect is that I don’t know if the one thing that I consider him elite at compared to the rest of the draft, isolation scoring, is as desirable of a trait for the game right now. He projects to be a good 3-point shooter, but in practice he was below-average at 34.2 3PT%, and only 30.8% if you remove the one outlier game where he exploded and made 6/7 3PT shots, and he’s only going to have less space to shoot and more distance from the rim at the next level. As I said, I think he’ll be fine and adjust to the NBA 3-point line, but it was a concern I had with him going into college despite thinking highly of him and I didn’t see him expand his range as much as I would have liked. It’s worth mentioning to me because a mid-range pure isolation scorer with average-to-slightly above-average athleticism that isn’t big positive on defense doesn’t have the same value as it used to in a more analytics-driven NBA, and not having a catch and shoot 3-point shot as a wing in today’s NBA can limit spacing and restrict the offense unless you’re a good off-ball scorer, which I’m not sure I’d call Tatum.

Offensive Ability

Tatum has the most polished offensive game out of his Small Forward competition in terms of shot creation and comfort scoring at a reasonable efficiency from all 3 levels of the court. He’s got a very good face-up and jab step game in the mid-range that takes advantage of his quickness compared to college Power Forwards and comfort putting the ball on the floor. In addition, his ability to use his size, his smoothness, and his quick release makes him very dangerous on turnarounds and fade-aways from mid-range. His abilities in the mid-range post transferred well for him down low as well, where according to DX he was in the 99th percentile of point per possession out of the post, which could prove to be a valuable tool in the NBA where switching on defense is more common and offenses focus on creating mismatches. I have questions on how his isolation scoring will translate to the NBA when he’s matched up against much more athletic Small Forwards than the Power Forwards he was typically going up against in college basketball, but there’s no denying that he was very successful creating and making his shot in the post, off the dribble, at the rim, and everywhere inside of the arc in college basketball and I expect him to find ways to score in the NBA as well, it’s more a matter of how efficiently he will be able to do it if he doesn’t expand his range. With that said, I have no reason to think he won’t be able to step out to the NBA 3-point line and be an above-average shooter when I consider that he’s has good shooting form with a high release, he shot a respectable percentage in college on reasonable volume, and he’s a very good free throw shooter. I personally expect him to get up to around 38% from 3 on a decent volume, but he wouldn’t be the first player to just not have the range despite being a proficient shot maker inside the line.

Despite being an isolation-oriented wing, I wouldn’t call Tatum a black hole on offense, as I felt he showed he’s willing to move the ball on offense and find the open man when the defense collapses on him attacking the basket, but he ended up being the best option toward the end of the shot clock at times because of his isolation scoring ability. He posted a decent 12.2 AST%, although it is third worst among Small Forward prospects in DX’s Top 15, ahead of only Jonathan Isaac and OG Anunoby. I felt like he was not as active spots in cutting to open spots off the ball as I’d like to see, but that could be in part due to Duke’s offense focusing a lot on isolation and drive-and-kick with numerous guys who really like to attack and score such as Tatum, Kennard, Allen, and it would also help explain 88% of his made 3-point shots this season being assisted despite only 12% of his mid-range and 30% of his shots at the rim were assisted on. Overall, if Tatum can become the 3-point shooter I think he has the potential to be, and Josh Jackson’s free throw shooting remains terrible and 3-point shot percentage doesn’t translate to the NBA, I see him having the biggest offensive impact out of him, Jackson, and Isaac.

Passing

I had a tough time getting a read on just how good and wiling of a passer that Tatum is this year. He’d have moments where he’d look to pass to the point where he was overpassing and trying to do too much on offense instead of taking what the defense gives him, and there would be times where he’d have tunnel vision and miss kick-outs and dump offs down low in favor of settling for mid-range jump shots. I saw flashes of him being a playmaker, and I’ll hardly fault someone for trying to create for others even when I think they’re trying to do too much, but he needs to work on his decision-making skills on the drive to read the defense and pick the best, correct play to make. Sometimes I felt like he had his mind made up that he was going to pass or shoot before he even read the defense and put the ball on the floor.

Ball Handling

Tatum has a pretty significant advantage in ball handling compared to Isaac, and while I’d consider his ball handling skills similar to Jackson in that they’ve both shown they have some ability to break down defenders off the dribble, but both need to work on keeping their dribble down, protecting the ball on the drive, and improve their overall feel for putting the ball against the deck against stronger defenders. He has a nice foundation of moves with hesitation dribbles, decent shake to his crossover, comfort pulling up off the dribble and stepping back into shots, and his frame suggests he’ll be able to put on the weight to make it difficult to get him off balance and be physical with him on drives. I think his ball handling skill and ability to create angles and separation against defenders is what will set him apart and make him a more versatile offensive weapon than Isaac, and unless Jackson’s 3-point shooting the last few months of college ball was real and his free throw shooting improves, he should be the better offensive weapon.

Defense

Out of the top 3 potential Small Forward prospects, I feel comfortable saying that Tatum will have the least impact on the defensive end in the NBA, partially because he has a physical disadvantage to his competition, namely length with Jonathan Isaac and athleticism with Josh Jackson. He wasn’t a bad defender at Duke, and he did a good job on the defensive boards for a Small Forward playing as a Power Forward a lot of the time, but he doesn’t have the constantly engaged, lock-down mentality on defense that I see when I watch Josh Jackson on defense. I don’t think he’ll be a major liability in the NBA on defense because he has a solid frame and a pretty good feel for positioning when he’s focused; I just don’t see him every being a top 2 defender on a successful team.

Fit with the Phoenix Suns

If the Suns drop from the top 3, there’s a good chance that Tatum would be seen as the best player available and be selected by us, but I’m not sure how much I like his fit. To take advantage of his best abilities he needs the ball in his hands in isolation, which Devin Booker already does plenty of while being a much better outside shooter, and 2 isolation scorers on the wings with Bledsoe also being more of a scoring guard could lead to a lot of ball-stopping possessions. Not to mention one of the biggest issues with the Suns right now is defense, which Tatum isn’t much of an upgrade over Warren this year if at all. If Tatum can improve his catch-and-shooting from NBA 3 to the high-30s or so then I could see the fit more because he’s also shown he's a decent playmaker, but if not the Suns already have a mid-range isolation scorer who is better off-the-ball in TJ Warren that doesn’t demand the ball as much to be successful.

Conclusion

Overall, I’d say I’m a fan of what Tatum could be in the NBA and think he’d be a good second option with the potential to develop into a first option if he can be consistency from 3-point range and can turn the flashes of playmaking ability into a consistent weapon, but I don’t think I see him being the best player on a championship team. When I watch him, I see a player that is pretty good at a lot of things, but I’m not sure there’s a skill I’d consider him elite at besides creating his own shot. I’m personally not a huge fan of him as the Small Forward of the future for the Suns because I think his skill set clashes a lot with Booker and we would benefit from someone who is more impactful on the defensive end and doesn’t require a lot of the ball to have an impact on the game on offense, but I could see our Front Office thinking highly of him. I like his fit best in Orlando where they could use a go-to scorer and outside shooting on the wings if he turns out to be the shooter he’s projected to be.

Next up due to popular demand: Josh Jackson

Excited to pump out the Josh Jackson one, as you guys probably know I'm a big Kansas fan and think highly of Josh, especially for the Suns. This one should be considerably quicker than Tatum's considering I watched every Kansas game this year, but I'm going to go back and re-watch a few the tougher individual match ups this weekend and hopefully have it ready by Wednesday. Obviously I'll do my best to remain as objective as possible and definitely won't pretend he doesn't have his flaws and red flags. After that will be Lonzo Ball, then I'll take a couple requests if there are any. Thanks for reading and discussing fellas, I appreciate it.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Re: DarealJuice Draft Series Part 4: Jayson Tatum 

Post#2 » by ATTL » Fri Apr 7, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks again for doing this.
I'm a Tatum fan and wouldn't be too upset of we ended up at 4 and walked away with him. I think a team could take him ahead of the "top 3" and someone could drop to us if we fell to 4.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 7:39 pm

If he really plays more iso and likely isn't any better than Warren defensively, and also plays more of a mid range game, I wonder if we would consider taking one of the PGs over him if we end up at 4 or 5 and he's there?
darealjuice

Post#4 » by darealjuice » Fri Apr 7, 2017 7:48 pm

bwgood77 wrote:If he really plays more iso and likely isn't any better than Warren defensively, and also plays more of a mid range game, I wonder if we would consider taking one of the PGs over him if we end up at 4 or 5 and he's there?

Well he should be a better defender coming into the league than Warren was coming into the league, so I wouldn't rule him out of eventually being better; I meant more that if he can't shoot 3s at a high level, then his skill set is a little redundant when we already have Warren who is also a good mid-range scorer but is more natural at scoring off the ball. Warren has just made some pretty big advancements on defense this year and has had a few runs of good games, but he shouldn't stop us from picking Tatum if we feel that he's the best player there. Tatum's probably already as good of an outside shooter as TJ, if not better though lol TJ just has a knack at scoring around the rim in weird ways that Tatum doesn't.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#5 » by Bogyo » Fri Apr 7, 2017 7:52 pm

Yeah - to me this is a 2 man draft at the top. Fultz or Jackson. Tatum is good, but second tier along with Ball (who scares the hell out of me in a number of ways), DSJ, Fox and Isaac, Monk. I could make a rationale for pretty much all these guys at 3 or 4, and at that point I'm willing to trust McD and the front office, based on their draft track record.

Nevertheless, another good writeup, really looking forward to JJ (one of my personal favourites), and Ball (the exact opposite).
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 7:54 pm

darealjuice wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:If he really plays more iso and likely isn't any better than Warren defensively, and also plays more of a mid range game, I wonder if we would consider taking one of the PGs over him if we end up at 4 or 5 and he's there?

Well he should be a better defender coming into the league than Warren was coming into the league, so I wouldn't rule him out of eventually being better; I meant more that if he can't shoot 3s at a high level, then his skill set is a little redundant when we already have Warren who is also a good mid-range scorer but is more natural at scoring off the ball. Warren has just made some pretty big advancements on defense this year and has had a few runs of good games, but he shouldn't stop us from picking Tatum if we feel that he's the best player there. Tatum's probably already as good of an outside shooter as TJ, if not better though lol TJ just has a knack at scoring around the rim in weird ways that Tatum doesn't.

Yeah, he may have a little higher upside than Warren, but it's almost like starting over with similar skill sets. It also depends on our plans for Bledsoe. I'm still a little unsure of Smith and Fox, but also still intrigued with Frank, though I haven't seen much of him. I really can't see us taking him that high, based on what the mocks say, but I love the idea of his length, defense and court vision.

Is Ulis more likely a solid long term starter than Warren? That's a bit of a question if you have guys like Smith, Fox, Frank and Tatum in the same tier and don't view one as a clear cut BPA. Heck, is Tatum more of a need than Isaac, who could potentially be a great defensive wing.
darealjuice

Post#7 » by darealjuice » Fri Apr 7, 2017 8:20 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Yeah, he may have a little higher upside than Warren, but it's almost like starting over with similar skill sets. It also depends on our plans for Bledsoe. I'm still a little unsure of Smith and Fox, but also still intrigued with Frank, though I haven't seen much of him. I really can't see us taking him that high, based on what the mocks say, but I love the idea of his length, defense and court vision.

Is Ulis more likely a solid long term starter than Warren? That's a bit of a question if you have guys like Smith, Fox, Frank and Tatum in the same tier and don't view one as a clear cut BPA. Heck, is Tatum more of a need than Isaac, who could potentially be a great defensive wing.

Yeah I'd say he has a higher upside for sure. Better frame, similar sneaky athleticism, better playmaker, and you'd have a tough time convincing me he's not already a better outside shooter. Definitely similar skill sets if Tatum doesn't add a consistent 3-point shot to his game though.

I personally have Smith rated around where I have Tatum, provided he has a good medical, and if we're at number 4 I think they're a tier above the rest of the crowd if we're looking for an all star, so it'll depend on how we feel with Bled/Ulis and Warren. Smith's a monster athlete, has great offensive skill set for how the game is being played, and I think he's got as much star potential as just about anyone in the draft, but he also put zero effort into defense about 90% of the time at NC State and he's going to get lit up every night if he pulls that against the best position in the league.

Josh Jackson is still my guy if we stay at 2 though.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 8:37 pm

darealjuice wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Yeah, he may have a little higher upside than Warren, but it's almost like starting over with similar skill sets. It also depends on our plans for Bledsoe. I'm still a little unsure of Smith and Fox, but also still intrigued with Frank, though I haven't seen much of him. I really can't see us taking him that high, based on what the mocks say, but I love the idea of his length, defense and court vision.

Yeah I'd say he has a higher upside for sure. Better frame, similar sneaky athleticism, better playmaker, and you'd have a tough time convincing me he's not already a better outside shooter. Definitely similar skill sets if Tatum doesn't add a consistent 3-point shot to his game though.

I personally have Smith rated around where I have Tatum, provided he has a good medical, and if we're at number 4 I think they're a tier above the rest of the crowd if we're looking for an all star, so it'll depend on how we feel with Bled/Ulis and Warren. Smith's a monster athlete, has great offensive skill set for how the game is being played, and I think he's got as much star potential as just about anyone in the draft, but he also put zero effort into defense about 90% of the time at NC State and he's going to get lit up every night if he pulls that against the best position in the league.

Josh Jackson is still my guy if we stay at 2 though.

Yes, Jackson for me at #2 and wouldn't be disappointed at #1 with him, though I read so many good things about Fultz, offensive, defense, no real weaknesses....seen him compared to Harden.

But the thing about PGs and defense, there are so many good point guards on offense in the league and it's not like anyone really shuts them down (Curry, Lillard, Westbrook, etc). There are really very few really good defensive point guards. I mean Chris Paul, Beverley, Holiday are probably the best and then you have like Lowry, Rubio, Smart and maybe George Hill are slightly above avg defensively. Even guys like Westbrook, Conley and Bledsoe have negative DRPMs. Wall even more of a negative than those guys.

I mean look how low guys like Lillard, Dragic and Irving are... http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/1

but those guys obviously have a big + impact overall because of their offense.

and of course way in last is IT.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,641

Post#9 » by sunsbum » Sat Apr 8, 2017 12:20 am

Tatum reminds me so much of Paul Pierce. I hate that we need defense as bad as we do because now I feel like we are pigeon holed into Jackson or bust.
Flex is now your father.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,092

Post#10 » by Frank Lee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Pierce? really? I think Tatum is the biggest low ceiling 'Yawner' selection we could make. IF we are faced with the 4th or 5th pick, I'd just as soon trade down and grab Bridges to back up TJ/SF, or much rather cross the fingers and select Isaac. If we can't upgrade at SF, I'd think we even look towards Markkanen over Tatum, as IMO he would be a more valuable player to us.
What ? Me Worry ?
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#11 » by kennydorglas » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Pierce? really? I think Tatum is the biggest low ceiling 'Yawner' selection we could make. IF we are faced with the 4th or 5th pick, I'd just as soon trade down and grab Bridges to back up TJ/SF, or much rather cross the fingers and select Isaac. If we can't upgrade at SF, I'd think we even look towards Markkanen over Tatum, as IMO he would be a more valuable player to us.

I'm not a fan of Tatum too... If Chad Ford is right and we rate Tatum higher than anyone else, i'll be mad.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:36 pm

kennydorglas wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:Pierce? really? I think Tatum is the biggest low ceiling 'Yawner' selection we could make. IF we are faced with the 4th or 5th pick, I'd just as soon trade down and grab Bridges to back up TJ/SF, or much rather cross the fingers and select Isaac. If we can't upgrade at SF, I'd think we even look towards Markkanen over Tatum, as IMO he would be a more valuable player to us.

I'm not a fan of Tatum too... If Chad Ford is right and we rate Tatum higher than anyone else, i'll be mad.

You mean just because of his mocks? Did it ever show us taking him over Jackson or Fultz?
TOO
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,310

Post#13 » by TOO » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Gross. I personally want no parts of Markkanen or that tweener. Isaac I wouldn't mind though.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,641

Post#14 » by sunsbum » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Pierce
G MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
34 862 6.6 15.8 .419 5.0 10.5 .478 1.6 5.3 .304 3.9 6.4 .606 8.4 2.8 2.0 1.3 3.7 3.8 18.7

Tatum
G MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
29 966 6.8 15.1 .452 5.2 10.3 .504 1.7 4.8 .342 4.9 5.8 .849 8.8 2.6 1.6 1.4 3.1 3.6 20.2

I know per 40 isn't the best to go off of but its more to see how crazy close their numbers were as Freshman. How can you not watch highlight film and see almost the exact same player?
Flex is now your father.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#15 » by kennydorglas » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:34 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:

You mean just because of his mocks? Did it ever show us taking him over Jackson or Fultz?

Yep, based on his mocks its: Ball/Jackson/Fultz or Tatum (cant find out this because no one else picked JJ over Fultz)... but I guess it's Tatum over Fultz too
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,092

Post#16 » by Frank Lee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 pm

May be so Bum.... but I hesitate about comparing ANY rookie to a 20 yr pro and future HOFer.... and it just seems Dukers in general get a free fannypat and gratuitous high rating from the draft watchers.

TOO no likey the big Fin? Granted, he may peak at just a role player, but in todays NBA, its almost a given you need THAT role player.
What ? Me Worry ?
TOO
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by TOO » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Frank Lee wrote:May be so Bum.... but I hesitate about comparing ANY rookie to a 20 yr pro and future HOFer.... and it just seems Dukers in general get a free fannypat and gratuitous high rating from the draft watchers.

TOO no likey the big Fin? Granted, he may peak at just a role player, but in todays NBA, its almost a given you need THAT role player.

Sure, every team needs a stretch 4, we already have 2 candidates. Chriss who I was not a fan of when we picked him, has shown a pretty good stroke from 3 for a guy many thought was just an athlete playing basketball. Bender while not hitting them yet, has a great looking shot as well, they just need time. This whole team needs patience, not everyone we pick will take Bookers route, very few do. I don't see what Markkanen offers that those 2 don't, he is a better shooter at this stage sure, but I also think he lacks the potential defensive versatility Chriss/Bender offer.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#18 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:26 pm

TOO wrote:

Gross. I personally want no parts of Markkanen or that tweener. Isaac I wouldn't mind though.

I don't understand why so many people (not here as much but all over realgm) are so low on Markkanen. While I don't think WE need him, I don't know how one of, if not THE best 3 pt shooting 7 foot freshman ever in college is not valuable. I mean he shot better from 3 than ANY top prospect, even all the guards. You can't block his shot. He's aIso a good rebounder. He doesn't protect the rim or play great defense, but being more of a PF than C, that's not as big of a deal. I mean he sounds an awful lot like Dirk to me. If he was on our team he'd probably be the best 3 pt shooter immediately. He was even better than Booker from 3 in college on higher volume.
TOO
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by TOO » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:30 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
TOO wrote:

I don't understand why so many people (not here as much but all over realgm) are so low on Markkanen. While I don't think WE need him, I don't know how one of, if not THE best 3 pt shooting 7 foot freshman ever in college is not valuable. I mean he shot better from 3 than ANY top prospect, even all the guards. You can't block his shot. He's aIso a good rebounder. He doesn't protect the rim or play great defense, but being more of a PF than C, that's not as big of a deal. I mean he sounds an awful lot like Dirk to me. If he was on our team he'd probably be the best 3 pt shooter immediately. He was even better than Booker from 3 in college on higher volume.

Defense defense defense defense. I know scoring is great, but if you're a negative defensively, what does it matter? Look at Kanter, dude can score at will offensively, can't guard a lamp. I don't think Markkanen is a starting PF unless he's surrounded by a bunch of defensive stalwarts like Dirk was.
TheFire
Senior
And1: 908

Post#20 » by TheFire » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
TOO wrote:

Who would you say is his best NBA comparison?

He reminds me a little bit of Frank the Tank, but I could be way off base as I've only seen him play a few times. He is obviously a much better shooter than Kaminsky was at the same age.

Return to Boston Celtics