ImageImageImage

Summer Trade/(OffSeason) Thread 2017

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SparringPartner
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Re: RE: Re: Summer Trade/(OffSeason) Thread 2017 

Post#1281 » by SparringPartner » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:25 pm

KGboss wrote:
nickgammon wrote:I'm really thinking the plan is just to keep the #3 pick, take Tatum and sign Hayward. I feel like you've got to find a way to trade AB at this point though, but I'm not sure where he goes to. A lot can happen in 2 days so I'll still be chcecking my phone every 2 seconds, but I'm not expecting any splashes until July

Ctowder to me is the odd man out, not Bradley

Crowder's production + contract > Avery's production + new contract ($20M+)
SparringPartner
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Re: Summer Trade/(OffSeason) Thread 2017 

Post#1282 » by SparringPartner » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Pretty sure all teams call about available players. Thanks Maz!
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,379

Post#1283 » by robbie84 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:31 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
dei1c3 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Spurs cleared almost max cap space. CP3 must of told the Clippers it's over he's leaving.

Read on Twitter

Good news if Danny wants Blake.

**** broken down Blake Griffin.

Let's get Deandre Jordan. The only player that can cover for Horford's flaws as a player and transform our defense into the juggxrnaught it was two years ago.

Do what it takes to get Deandre.

So then horford has to cover PF's?
No thanks. Would hurt our D just as much moving horford out to defend PFs on perimeter.

Destroys our spacing. Can't shoot.
Pretty unlikely.
Getting someone
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1284 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:37 pm

I see Ainge giving the BKN 18 for DJ and then seeing the Clippers get superstar Ayton next year. I see it in like, a crystal ball sense.
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#1285 » by OFWGKTA » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I see Ainge giving the BKN 18 for DJ and then seeing the Clippers get superstar Ayton next year. I see it in like, a crystal ball sense.

I never thought I'd see the day where you'd be overpaying in a trade scenario :o
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1286 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:45 pm

OFWGKTA wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:I see Ainge giving the BKN 18 for DJ and then seeing the Clippers get superstar Ayton next year. I see it in like, a crystal ball sense.

I never thought I'd see the day where you'd be overpaying in a trade scenario :o

:D I mean I've had this as a fear for awhile, like a kind of dim vision on the periphery of my consciousness, that we'll trade that pick and regret it. I don't think we would, anyway - I think we could get DJ and win a championship or two. But to me the BKN 18 is untouchable until we see enough college ball to confirm no one is in the AD/Towns/Lebron/Dwight/Rose tier.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,438

Post#1287 » by Jaqua92 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 am

Lol in Nba 2k17 last year for THIS season, I drafted tatum (who is now qn 89) and traded for deandre
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1288 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:10 am

Milwaukee has to pounce on Deandre IMO.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#1289 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:13 am

robbie84 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
dei1c3 wrote:Good news if Danny wants Blake.

Let's get Deandre Jordan. The only player that can cover for Horford's flaws as a player and transform our defense into the juggxrnaught it was two years ago.

No thanks. Would hurt our D just as much moving horford out to defend PFs on perimeter.

Pretty unlikely.
Getting someone

I would suggest you have the super athlete DJ cover PFs on defense and Horford slow as molasses cover the non mobile big.

Then on offense Horford plays his brand of point forward and DJ is on lop city patrol.

Think you just had a brain fart on that one since Horford would be listed as the "PF" on the starting lineup and not think of the matchups.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,067

Post#1290 » by Ben-N1ce » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:14 am

I don't have a ton of interest in D'eandre. Guys you have to yank out of the biggest moments of the game on offense are not my cup of tea.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#1291 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:45 am

robbie84 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
dei1c3 wrote:Good news if Danny wants Blake.

Pretty unlikely.
Getting someone

If C' are going to go for it next year and try to beat the Cavs and have a punchers shot against the Warriors, I support the acquisition of Jordan as long as Horford is traded first. If C's could let say trade Horford for a late first round pick to a team with cap space and pair that pick up with a meh asset for Jordan if tasked to win a championship next year, I would strongly consider it since I suspect against Cavs/Warriors, DJ significant upgrade compared to Al Horford.

Jordan is obviously flawed but he has proven he can be a part of a real good offense and realistically the elite teams like the Warriors/Cavs are not going to foul him too much/too early since they won't want to get their stars in too much foul trouble and their team in the penalty. He grabs rebounds and all of a sudden you are not nearly as undersized.

Problem with Jordan is he is obviously someone that you don't feel that comfortable paying after next season unless its at a true discount compared to what some desperate team may pay.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#1292 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:52 am

soxfan2003 wrote:
robbie84 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:**** broken down Blake Griffin.

Pretty unlikely.
Getting someone

If C' are going to go for it next year and try to beat the Cavs and have a punchers shot against the Warriors, I support the acquisition of Jordan as long as Horford is traded first. If C's could let say trade Horford for a late first round pick to a team with cap space and pair that pick up with a meh asset for Jordan if tasked to win a championship next year, I would strongly consider it since I suspect against Cavs/Warriors, DJ significant upgrade compared to Al Horford.

Jordan is obviously flawed but he has proven he can be a part of a real good offense and realistically the elite teams like the Warriors/Cavs are not going to foul him too much/too early since they won't want to get their stars in too much foul trouble and their team in the penalty. He grabs rebounds and all of a sudden you are not nearly as undersized.

Problem with Jordan is he is obviously someone that you don't feel that comfortable paying after next season unless its at a true discount compared to what some desperate team may pay.

Every single time I think of the next step to set the Celtics up for being one KG trade away...

I always come to a max contract Horford needing to be off the Celtics team if they're going to contend.

We can't afford to have a non all-star making max money and also be in the top tier of teams in the NBA. He has to go and an all-star has to take that cap space on our sheets.
soxfan2003
RealGM

Post#1293 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:02 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
robbie84 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:**** broken down Blake Griffin.

Pretty unlikely.
Getting someone

I would suggest you have the super athlete DJ cover PFs on defense and Horford slow as molasses cover the non mobile big.

Then on offense Horford plays his brand of point forward and DJ is on lop city patrol.

Think you just had a brain fart on that one since Horford would be listed as the "PF" on the starting lineup and not think of the matchups.

IMHO Al Horford probably has to go for C's to realistically have a chance to win a title. It isn't that he is a bad player but I think he isn't helpful enough against Cavs/Warriors and his salary becomes a problem in constructing a team. C's need better payroll flexibility to compete with Cavs/Warriors.

Horford goes and then all of a sudden something like Paul George/Hayward or Butler -- if Bulls actually get realistic/Jordan becomes realistic on a team with a lot of young talent and flexibility to make another major move.

PG is a a major risk but C's could quickly surround him with more talent than he ever had in Indiana.

And while I am skeptical that this Celtics roster right now could do it, I do think the chance to play with George may convince Hayward to not only sign with Boston but to take a 3-4 million dollar a year discount. Getting high tier/low tier stars to pay for 10 million less is usually unrealistic but Wade/Lebron have shown stars sometimes do leave a few million on the table. If I am Hayward and wanting to come to pressure packed Boston frankly I WILLINGLY leave money on the table and play for something like 3-4 million less than the max to damper expectations/pressure on me. End of the day, happiness is important and pro athletes are often under enormous pressure. On better teams, you can often make it up in endorsements.

Tricky situation to navigate, one can make the case for Butler but I just thing George is the better post season player that is a little easier to build with. And surprising to me, I wouldn't be surprised if his price tag is lower because Indiana knows they have to trade him ASAP and how many teams outside of LAL even feel confident bidding?
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#1294 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:21 am

soxfan2003 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
robbie84 wrote:

Pretty unlikely.
Getting someone

IMHO Al Horford probably has to go for C's to realistically have a chance to win a title. It isn't that he is a bad player but I think he isn't helpful enough against Cavs/Warriors and his salary becomes a problem in constructing a team. C's need better payroll flexibility to compete with Cavs/Warriors.

Horford goes and then all of a sudden something like Paul George/Hayward or Butler -- if Bulls actually get realistic/Jordan becomes realistic on a team with a lot of young talent and flexibility to make another major move.

PG is a a major risk but C's could quickly surround him with more talent than he ever had in Indiana.

And while I am skeptical that this Celtics roster right now could do it, I do think the chance to play with George may convince Hayward to not only sign with Boston but to take a 3-4 million dollar a year discount. Getting high tier/low tier stars to pay for 10 million less is usually unrealistic but Wade/Lebron have shown stars sometimes do leave a few million on the table. If I am Hayward and wanting to come to pressure packed Boston frankly I WILLINGLY leave money on the table and play for something like 3-4 million less than the max to damper expectations/pressure on me. End of the day, happiness is important and pro athletes are often under enormous pressure. On better teams, you can often make it up in endorsements.

Tricky situation to navigate, one can make the case for Butler but I just thing George is the better post season player that is a little easier to build with. And surprising to me, I wouldn't be surprised if his price tag is lower because Indiana knows they have to trade him ASAP and how many teams outside of LAL even feel confident bidding?

The only way I see an instant upgrade is if the Pelicans are at least 10 games under .500 at the trading deadline and Ainge can sell them on a Horford for Cousins swap. Horford's signed long term, Pelicans are stupid. His contract probably expires around the same time as Davis's.

Worse comes to worse we let Cousins go in free agency.

But as we're already seeing this offseason with the cap being 8 million less than expected and may end up under 100 million according to the Vertical earlier today due to the few playoff games... teams are realizing all the contracts signed last year now suck.

They're trading Deangelo Russell to clear cap space, HOU is trying desperately to clear cap space. Player are opting into their contracts under max realizing there is no free agent market for stupid money. Guys like Wade, Monroe... they all have been told by their agents grab the money while they can because the marketing is recorrecting itself with a recession to this 8-10 million less cap space than each team could have projected having.

All the more reason getting that contract off our books helps us even more. And if things do work out you have a real top 10 player in the NBA on our roster and every second bananana like George and Butler would love to trade or sign on with your team.
soxfan2003
RealGM

Post#1295 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:23 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:
robbie84 wrote:

Pretty unlikely.
Getting someone

Every single time I think of the next step to set the Celtics up for being one KG trade away...

I always come to a max contract Horford needing to be off the Celtics team if they're going to contend.

We can't afford to have a non all-star making max money and also be in the top tier of teams in the NBA. He has to go and an all-star has to take that cap space on our sheets.

Well said. I think it comes down to the fact that Jordan may not be any better than Horford against teams like the Wizards/Bulls but against teams like the Cavs/Warriors I really think he is a player that pretty much stays the same instead of just not matching up. And he is able to be helpful in playing the sort of game that it may take to beat the two best teams in the league. He obviously isn't Shaq or anywhere close but be isn't as much of a finesse player as Horford.

Frankly I see the C's two best players (IT and Horford) as just not the sort of players that match up that well against the elite competition. One can get away with it right now with IT since his salary is so damn low for a starting PG but Horford is an absolute killer when you don't have a bargain superstar on a rookie contract like a very young Lebron James.

And I appreciate the guys game/effort since its not like he pulled a Mark Blount but he just isn't part of the solution. With 20/20 hindsight, I honestly wish the C's didn't sign him since I don't think Ainge will be ruthless enough to pull the plug in time on him. If we look at Ainge's history of trading guys it has pretty much never been the way BB does it on the Patriots. BB anticipates the decline and he gets rid of you quick. Ainge made a dumb move when he got the gm trade in trading Antoine Walker in the wrong type of move without realizing for all of Walker's warts, he was actually a modest positive to the team. Walker needed to go but not for Raef LaFrentz. After that bad move, Ainge has sometimes been gun shy on a lot of players. He still ends up moving them but a little too late in many cases.

Sometimes what Ainge does pays off really well since trading PP/KG even a year earlier probably doesn't net as much in a rebuilding trade but other times with players like Gerald Wallace/Bass/Jeff Green/Rondo/KO/Bradley, I think players value actually goes down a little to more than that when you factor in what else can be done with cap room earlier. Wallace/Bass had negative value when Boston decided to rebuild in the summer of 2013 but I would argue if Ainge bought both of their contract out right away it would have been a lot less costly to dispose of them. Could have used the saved cap room to get a nice pick and a few more losses increase the odds of Wiggins/Embiid over Smart. Gerald Wallace wasn't coming off a truly terrible season overall when you factor in the playoffs as well and was perhaps around 50% overpaid going forward and not 100% overpaid. Offer the guy a nice buyout that saves you money and gives him the opportunity to be a bench guy for a contender. He had been starting for a playoff team. Same scenario with Bass who was overpaid for sure but not by as much as Wallace.
soxfan2003
RealGM

Post#1296 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:34 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

The only way I see an instant upgrade is if the Pelicans are at least 10 games under .500 at the trading deadline and Ainge can sell them on a Horford for Cousins swap. Horford's signed long term, Pelicans are stupid. His contract probably expires around the same time as Davis's.

Worse comes to worse we let Cousins go in free agency.

But as we're already seeing this offseason with the cap being 8 million less than expected and may end up under 100 million according to the Vertical earlier today due to the few playoff games... teams are realizing all the contracts signed last year now suck.

They're trading Deangelo Russell to clear cap space, HOU is trying desperately to clear cap space. Player are opting into their contracts under max realizing there is no free agent market for stupid money. Guys like Wade, Monroe... they all have been told by their agents grab the money while they can because the marketing is recorrecting itself with a recession to this 8-10 million less cap space than each team could have projected having.

All the more reason getting that contract off our books helps us even more. And if things do work out you have a real top 10 player in the NBA on our roster and every second bananana like George and Butler would love to trade or sign on with your team.

Wow I didn't realize less playoff games impacted things that much. I thought somehow the networks swallowed perhaps more of those losses and were not exactly happy campers in doing so. Unlike the NFL with a fixed amount of postseason games, it looks like the NBA really does have an incentive to rig series and that former ref spouting his opinion that they did stuff like that in the past may be wrong but it could have more truth to it than folks want to admit. In the past, sometimes I thought in the less high profile NBA playoff series that the refs without even being directly told all of the time by the league office were trying to extend series a bit.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#1297 » by Higgs Boston » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:32 am

I'm not a porzingis's fan at all, I think he is insanely overrated, but…

3 + zeller x porzingis
Bradley (trade to third team) + Smart + LAL/kings pick x George
Sign hayward
Trade horford for a pick to get a athletic PF-C, because porzingis has to play as C, is really absurd try to play him as PF, he is too slow and tall, it's also dangerous to his body to do it.

Thomas, rozier
Hayward,
George, brown
Athletic big,crowder
Porzingis, zizic

Not bad.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1298 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:49 am

Foreman: "Hey Danny! It's Gar and John!"
Paxson: "Hey Danny!"
Ainge: "Hi guys! John, how's Jim doing? Tell him I said hello!"
Paxson: "Sure! I will pass that along!...Say, Danny, are you still interested in Jimmy Butler for the 3rd pick? We decided that we're willing to take Smart and Zeller instead of Crowder an..."
*beep*
Ainge: "Hey, guys, hold on for a second......wait, let me call you back! It's Phil on the other line!"
Foreman: "DANNY! NOOO!!!!!"
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,924

Post#1299 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:47 am

Read on Twitter

Tough news for free agency
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690