ImageImageImage

Grade the pick #3 Jason Taytum

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 am

A-Excellent Choice
38%
B- Good choice
31%
C-Meh
18%
D-Bad Choice
9%
F-Fire Danny
4%

Total votes: 168

Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#1 » by Spin Move » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:11 am

I give this pick a B, I think Jackson is going to be a better pro and would have rather traded down to get 1 or 2 other players but I by no means think this is a bad pick, Taytum will no doubt be able to score at least 15 ppg long term and will be a starter at worst. I don't love it but I trust Danny so I grade it a B.

What do you think?
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Re: Grade the pick #3 Jason Taytum 

Post#2 » by vct33 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:17 am

On a typical early lotto team he'd be averaging 20 ppg by his second season. He's gonna have a role as a bench scorer immediately for the Celts.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#3 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:19 am

Not worth the #3 pick. Probably the most polished player available but in no way the Best Prospect Available and Josh Jackson is probably a better player right now then him. He's fine. He's worth a top 10 pick, but not a top 5 in this year's draft.

Basically all the concerns for him that I have are mostly highlighted in this video, ignoring his lack of lateral speed against wings and lack of strength against bigs making him a defensive nightmare for our team. But I guess how much worse can he be then our bigs defensively? (hopefully not much).

Low ceiling safe player filling a need. Not what you're looking for at 3 unless you're in a really weak draft.

I do expect his shot to develop from 3 though, and he can already shoot it well from mid range. So at the very least he'll be able to hit his open shots.

KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#4 » by KGboss » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:20 am

A.

Second best player next to fultz in the draft i believe.

If ainge really wouldve taken him first then we would be here anyway but pissed
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#5 » by jmr07019 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:25 am

Best player on board so I go with A.
Show Love Spread Love
ArtistNBA
Junior
And1: 98

Post#6 » by ArtistNBA » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:27 am

You see Josh Jackson tweet, seem like that guy that want it more, high motor high energy, good awareness on offense (passing) and defense , athletic AF, if he work on his game he can be one of the best 2 way player in the future, we don't need our youth to contribute right away , reason why I think Brown is untouchable for us

Tatum is like one dimension, offense is NBA ready cool , but for number 3 he better have a elite skill set he can bring with him

If Tatum doesn't become the best draft player from this year draft or doesn't become an all-star we going to look at this draft as we finally got the number 1 pick and look what we did with it

Let's hope laker suck this season, so we can get a top 5 draft next year from them lol
Stay Classy my friend
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,366

Post#7 » by tlee324 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:30 am

I love the pick. He's got 20+ppg in him if he pans out. It'll be about health, work ethic and overall development from his staff.
rochrist
Sophomore
And1: 219

Post#8 » by rochrist » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:31 am

ArtistNBA wrote:You see Josh Jackson tweet, seem like that guy that want it more, high motor high energy, good awareness on offense (passing) and defense , athletic AF, if he work on his game he can be one of the best 2 way player in the future, we don't need our youth to contribute right away , reason why I think Brown is untouchable for us

Tatum is like one dimension, offense is NBA ready cool , but for number 3 he better have a elite skill set he can bring with him

If Tatum doesn't become the best draft player from this year draft or doesn't become an all-star we going to look at this draft as we finally got the number 1 pick and look what we did with it

Let's hope laker suck this season, so we can get a top 5 draft next year from them lol

Wanted it more? Not enough to work out for the Cs.
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#9 » by tombattor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:33 am

Going from fultz to reaching for Tatum... can't give him a passing grade.
ArtistNBA
Junior

Post#10 » by ArtistNBA » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:34 am

If khawi Leonard was the best player available but he didn't work out for Celtics, would you draft him? Come on now
Stay Classy my friend
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#11 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:35 am

rochrist wrote:
ArtistNBA wrote:You see Josh Jackson tweet, seem like that guy that want it more, high motor high energy, good awareness on offense (passing) and defense , athletic AF, if he work on his game he can be one of the best 2 way player in the future, we don't need our youth to contribute right away , reason why I think Brown is untouchable for us

Reports are he did work out for the Cs in the past 12 hours.
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,684

Post#12 » by Romeiro Celtic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:38 am

I give a C. Hated the pick and I'm hating the way Ainge wants this team crowded with SFs and guards. Good player though, but not our need If we're going after Hayward. If Ainge does not make any trade to fix this crowd, I'll lose my fate on him.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using RealGM mobile app
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#13 » by tombattor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:40 am

rochrist wrote:

That's not a good enough of a reason to pass on a superior player. Be a man. You're Danny ainge. Don't be butt hurt over stupid crap.
Bar Fight
RealGM
And1: 15,804

Post#14 » by Bar Fight » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:41 am

ArtistNBA wrote:If khawi Leonard was the best player available but he didn't work out for Celtics, would you draft him? Come on now

Kawhi Leonard doesn't have a mediocre wingspan and small hands.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,025

Post#15 » by Ben-N1ce » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:42 am

I graded C but not his fault. We traded a chance at the best prospect. I don't really think we improved much when you had the number one pick. That says it all. It's a failure to proven otherwise.
ArtistNBA
Junior

Post#16 » by ArtistNBA » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:46 am

If he doesn't become develop close to an all-star imma call it a bust, we had the #1 pick, we trade down because we could draft our guy at #3 and get future assets,

Top 5 picks look legit , I trust Danny but for me personal I like Jackson game and potential more than Tatum
Stay Classy my friend
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#17 » by 3D Chess » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:48 am

ArtistNBA wrote:If khawi Leonard was the best player available but he didn't work out for Celtics, would you draft him? Come on now

Not all rangy 3s with a busted jumper become Kawhi Leonard.
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#18 » by darylbe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:50 am

I turned it on after 6th pick. Did he get boo-ed when announced?

Sent from my LGMS428 using RealGM mobile app
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#19 » by OldCeltics » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:07 am

Tatum dunking in armor:

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#20 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 am

Love the pick. Josh Jackson is gonna be a taller Marcus Smart if he's lucky; I'm all in on Tatum. He's smooth, he's efficient, his shot is wet, he's long as ****, he can guard a lot of different players. The talk of his having a low-ish ceiling is pretty shortsighted. He doesn't jump out of the gym, so he doesn't have great athleticism—OK. But oh, he's probably the best scorer in the draft after Monk and he has a 7 foot wingspan. And he's joining a team where he isn't getting on the floor if he doesn't bring it defensively, so that area of his game I'm not even a little bit worried about. Love it. Ainge's best pick.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Boston Celtics