ImageImageImage

Grade the pick #3 Jason Taytum

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Grade the pick #3 Jason Taytum

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 am

A-Excellent Choice
38%
B- Good choice
31%
C-Meh
18%
D-Bad Choice
9%
F-Fire Danny
4%

Total votes: 168

ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Re: Grade the pick #3 Jason Taytum 

Post#41 » by ddb » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:07 am

Love it. Heard a couple days ago that they were settling into Tatum and Hayward this offseason. Still time for a trade this offseason. Just relax everyone....Boston got a special young player tonight. He has great character and a sick game. He is a modern day player who in time will beast on the league.
Just keep drafting. This team will be so damn loaded before you know it

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM mobile app
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,834

Post#42 » by GrandTheftRondo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:11 am

Meh at this stage.

I want to see how his game translates to the NBA.

Interesting read.
https://medium.com/@jzmazlish/jayson-tatum-fits-a-classically-overrated-player-archetype-ce1cac255b06
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#43 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:18 am

For me its A. Young guy, great character, tremendous ability and physical attributes. People need to chill nadwith get a grip!
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#44 » by ermocrate » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:32 am

It's a Celtics player now so I wish him the best. His mom get's an A but she needs to get her shape back.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 9,981

Post#45 » by fallguy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:45 am

Very, very happy with the pick. Like this kid a lot. Looks like he's got a ton of valuable, rare strengths and very fixable weaknesses.
ArtistNBA
Junior
And1: 98

Post#46 » by ArtistNBA » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:18 am

I'm starting to come around, I trust Danny, Tatum can contribute right away , if we get Hayward, I be really excited for this upcoming season, we going to be blowing teams away opening up huge minutes , Cleveland we are coming for that title of the East , GSW better hope they can pay all their players because we are building a juggernaut. And might boot the great LeBron out the East lol
Stay Classy my friend
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,948

Post#47 » by Drax » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:39 am

It's B for me. The good a rookie picked based on offense not defense/intangibles. The bad, i don't think he can step in right away and contribute, he needs to work on his body first. This could be upgraded to an A down the road, but not sold entirly yet.

What i do really like, his foundation. Good body (need to gain some strength/weight, as all youngins do), great footwork, good offensive bag of tricks, solid head on his shoulders and a fine stroke. With enough work in the gym, he could be really good.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#48 » by Green89 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:23 am

I'm not so sure Hayward signs here with Crowder, Brown, and now Tatum. We need to move Crowder. That being said, I give a B. Solid player, but I'm not so sure the best player for us. Until I see what happens in July, we probably should have just drafted Fultz.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Post#49 » by brackdan70 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Picked the Best Player available so an A I guess. I had Tatum Jackson as fairly =, with Tatum being a better fit for us and a year younger. Good pick.

Trade down was great to as I do believe Fultz was a clear #1 but not by much. Adding a top 10 pick with top 5 potential is excellent value to move down a fraction of a tier.
Sign here
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#50 » by Homerclease » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:44 pm

If he starts at PF from day 1 it's an A. For now I voted B. I wanted Fultz, I thought the Celtics should've held out for more for the top pick but I will support Jason Tatum as the newest Boston Celtic.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,279

Post#51 » by chrisab123 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:48 pm

ArtistNBA wrote:You see Josh Jackson tweet, seem like that guy that want it more, high motor high energy, good awareness on offense (passing) and defense , athletic AF, if he work on his game he can be one of the best 2 way player in the future, we don't need our youth to contribute right away , reason why I think Brown is untouchable for us

Tatum is like one dimension, offense is NBA ready cool , but for number 3 he better have a elite skill set he can bring with him

If Tatum doesn't become the best draft player from this year draft or doesn't become an all-star we going to look at this draft as we finally got the number 1 pick and look what we did with it

Let's hope laker suck this season, so we can get a top 5 draft next year from them lol

Josh Jackson is a ham and egger. Elite defensive potential with a 10 cent brain. He's going to be an expert brick layer in Phoenix. BJ Armstrong did Danny Ainge a long term favor. Ainge was most likely going to take Jackson then BJ cancelled that workout after he flew cross country as a **** you for the Javale McGee stuff from a couple years back. Tatum is a more stable safer player who actually has offense. And some people are actually mad about that given the fact we passed on the #1 offensive player in the draft? Celtics ended up with the #2 offensive player on a team that couldn't get offense from anyone other than IT. If Tatum comes close to Carmelo Anthony or Pierce then the Celtics did alright. Even with Fultz becoming the superstar he's destined to be.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,279

Post#52 » by chrisab123 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:49 pm

ermocrate wrote:It's a Celtics player now so I wish him the best. His mom get's an A but she needs to get her shape back.

Allison Williams looked like a A last night. She looked like she needed water when she was interviewing though. Looked very thirsty.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#53 » by ermocrate » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:56 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
ermocrate wrote:It's a Celtics player now so I wish him the best. His mom get's an A but she needs to get her shape back.

Allison Williams looked like a A last night. She looked like she needed water when she was interviewing though. Looked very thirsty.

Yeah she's an A right now but I think he can be a A++. She would put Horford's sister to shame.

Ps: More importantly I gave her an A before watching her dressed up, my take on beauty is that anyone can look beautiful when is dressed up and we make up, you have to be beautiful without make up and dress and she is.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#54 » by radcot » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:31 pm

The Tatum pick alone is an "A." Combined with a likely high lottery pick in 2018 or 2019 = A++
galipeautim
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#55 » by galipeautim » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:37 pm

I think it's a B. He fits two of our primary needs (rebounding and scoring) and can immediately fit in as our backup PF. That said, he doesn't fit our system the way Jackson would and I think his upside is a little lower. But I think the tradedown was great as next year's draft is very strong at the top.
ThirtyFour
Starter
And1: 3,477

Post#56 » by ThirtyFour » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Can we get PP in here as a coach and let him show Taytum some moves? Seriously though, anyone heard what his plans are post retirement?
“There’s a sense of pride, there’s an edge you have to have to play here. I can only imagine the love, the reception, if you hung one of those banners up. It would be incredible — it’s going to be incredible. I know it.” —Jayson Tatum
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#57 » by claycarver » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:55 pm

I don't see much difference in potential between the top 5 picks and I haven't since they were recruits. Nothing they did this last year separated themselves from each other as far as I can tell.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Fultz to Fox, they're all clumped together and they're all great picks. All things equal, I prefer the high character sweet shooting guy we got.

Oh, and getting another flier on a high draft pick? Really nice.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#58 » by ddb » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Green89 wrote:I'm not so sure Hayward signs here with Crowder, Brown, and now Tatum. We need to move Crowder. That being said, I give a B. Solid player, but I'm not so sure the best player for us. Until I see what happens in July, we probably should have just drafted Fultz.

I think the PG13 negotiations drag on well into the summer and it may impact the Celtics either with PG13 directly, or indirectly. Thsi summer will be busy for Boston
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#59 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:53 pm

He is a great pick for every reason that Fultz was not. He had a weak start to season and Duke looked like a disaster halfway through the year. It looked like UVA and Carolina were the best of ACC. Then in a huge late season matchup Tatum just destroyed UVA with 28 pts. He then played 156/160 minutes to lead Duke to wins in 4 games in 4 days to clinch ACC tournament. Dude is a winner, a hard worker and when the game is on the line can get a bucket. I don't care about the "new NBA" - isolation scoring is an incredible elite skill and will never be obselete. Much easier to learn spacing like Paul Pierce did under Doc than it is to make clutch hero shots like Pierce. And despite playing a selfless style with big 3 and Rondo, Pierce's ability to make the tough shot never lost its importance.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#60 » by theman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:04 pm

OldCeltics wrote:Tatum dunking in armor:

Seems like a good way to blow out a knee. That is a dumb thing to do before being drafted.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger

Return to Boston Celtics