ImageImageImage

What direction are we going in?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Re: What direction are we going in? 

Post#21 » by Roddy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:11 am

We want to be the worst rebounding team of all time. (see draft 2017)
drs123310
Sophomore
And1: 241

Post#22 » by drs123310 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:52 am

The Celtics are in one of the best/unique positions in the league. We were the #1 seed in the East last year, with a chance to sign a max-contract worthy player in free agency to improve on that (Hayward/Griffin). No matter how far we go in the playoffs, we have nearly a lock top 4 pick (likely the first) and a chance for another pick #2-#5 in next year's draft, assuming the Lakers don't get PG13 this summer. Otherwise that pick is likely a lotto pick from SAC the next year.

Not sure how much more "direction" you are looking for, christ. Majority of other franchises in the league would kill to be in our position.

Oh, and the Cavaliers could be looking at a major shakedown after next season, leaving the door to the Finals wide open
The Truth hurts
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#23 » by Avalanche » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:54 am

It's like people don't enjoy winning

If we were a terrible team winning 20 games a season and drafting top 3 consecutively no one bats an eyelid

Instead we get to enjoy watching a playoff team compete and grow while adding blue chip talent for the future

This offseason if we add a max free agent and Tatum to our rotation we literally get better AND younger somehow

Sure if you could load up a title favourite tomorrow go for it, otherwise this is an extremely calculated direction that aims to pay off just as the young guys are peaking and before the vets fall off
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Re: RE: Re: What direction are we going in? 

Post#24 » by darylbe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:46 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:They'd really want to hope they're right in their assessment of Tatum too.

The Lakers are looking increasingly unlikely to be bottom 5 in my opinion.

Kings are certainly doing their best to quickly rebuild too.

That pick could end up being useless.

Bs the Lakers are rotting where they belong

Sent from my LGMS428 using RealGM mobile app
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Re: RE: Re: What direction are we going in? 

Post#25 » by darylbe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:47 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Winning 50 games means nothing. Not like it's been done with a young nucleus.

We're relying on guys that would be far better suited in a win now scenario.

Instead we are in no mans land.

uh... what???

we're one of the youngest teams in the playoffs. there aren't too many guys on our roster who didn't improve from the previous year to this one.

i know it's fun to have an agenda but damn at least keep it remotely connected to reality.

I don't have an agenda at all.

And please, we might have been one of the youngest teams in the league but that isn't saying much when our best players are all 25+.

Guys like Smart, Brown and Rozier aren't exactly future cornerstones.

Don't put brown and Rozier in the same sentence.

Sent from my LGMS428 using RealGM mobile app
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,372

Post#26 » by Homerclease » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 am

We are moving forward.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#27 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:09 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:Is anyone else incredibly underwhelmed by what we've done the last year or so?

There is clearly no direction and we seem to be making it up as we go.

All these rumoured trades, nothing ever happens.

It's like we're just hoarding players for fun.

The goal is to get superstars Danny.

Jingles
Sixth Man
And1: 2,190

Post#28 » by Jingles » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:11 am

thegreenlife wrote:
Jingles wrote:I wish we had traded the 3, Brown, and Smart for Butler then BK18, LAL18, Avery, and Crowder for Paul George so we'd finally have a direction.

I hope you know that the Bulls were offering Butler for #3 straight up. No way in hell would I give #3 pick AND Jaylen for Butler. And why the hell would you give up all that for PG when he's going to the Lakers after next year? You only do that trade if he states that he will commit to Boston with a multi year contract.

Thank God you're not the GM, you'd screw our future for several generations

I don't know how much thicker I have to lay it on to make that come across as the sarcasm that t is.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#29 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 am

Jingles wrote:
thegreenlife wrote:
Jingles wrote:I wish we had traded the 3, Brown, and Smart for Butler then BK18, LAL18, Avery, and Crowder for Paul George so we'd finally have a direction.

I hope you know that the Bulls were offering Butler for #3 straight up. No way in hell would I give #3 pick AND Jaylen for Butler. And why the hell would you give up all that for PG when he's going to the Lakers after next year? You only do that trade if he states that he will commit to Boston with a multi year contract.

Thank God you're not the GM, you'd screw our future for several generations

I don't know how much thicker I have to lay it on to make that come across as the sarcasm that t is.

Adding our most premium asset, future HOF Jordan Mickey, to one of the offers would've done it.
â–‘Nâ–‘0â–‘0â–‘Dâ–‘Sâ–‘ â–‘Iâ–‘Nâ–‘ â–‘Bâ–‘Iâ–‘Oâ–‘
Jingles
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by Jingles » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:31 am

Avalanche wrote:It's like people don't enjoy winning

If we were a terrible team winning 20 games a season and drafting top 3 consecutively no one bats an eyelid

Instead we get to enjoy watching a playoff team compete and grow while adding blue chip talent for the future

This offseason if we add a max free agent and Tatum to our rotation we literally get better AND younger somehow

Sure if you could load up a title favourite tomorrow go for it, otherwise this is an extremely calculated direction that aims to pay off just as the young guys are peaking and before the vets fall off

People are understandably annoyed that Ainge bucked the consensus with the #1. I wanted Fultz too but the extra asset could be golden and at the very least, Tatum is more of a direct roster fit (which I personally don't care about) and they obviously love him. I do wish the trade had yielded more, even just in the sense of removing that top 1 protection.

The trade angst is beyond me as a FA signing is pretty much required to come before any trade given the salary implications. Shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. And Minnesota just locked in its spot over BK and LA—maybe Chicago relaxes them but we'll see.

Not many teams have had the ability to add top young talent to a top team like this. In three years we're going to have a bunch of young players who are not just talented but know what it takes to play team ball on both sides of the court and how to win. I think Minnesota made a good deal, but they had to do it because of the fact that their young guys have been helpless when it comes to actually winning games since they were all just thrown in the ocean before they knew how to swim.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#31 » by ermocrate » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:46 pm

We have almost the same quantity of young talents of the teams that are perennial tankers, a 5 that is second overall in the east and cap space to sign a top FA. Our problem is that we have so many paths to choose from that we fans are almost stoned because we don't know what our future will be. I would say we are in the best position of the NBA barring GS.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#32 » by tombattor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:16 pm

ViperGTS wrote:

Lol.

Time for you to go to bed, its way past your bedtime.

Exactly. As much as I wanna see us consolidate assets for a star, that proposal is absurd.
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#33 » by tombattor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Roddy wrote:We want to be the worst rebounding team of all time. (see draft 2017)

I tight zizic is the next Rodman
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#34 » by Ben-N1ce » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:19 pm

They have no great players. That's the bottom line. Until they get some all these assets mean nothing.
Jingles
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by Jingles » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:25 pm

There, I went back and put it in green font, everyone. Green font!
jeremym480
Senior
And1: 1,094

Post#36 » by jeremym480 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Getting better in the present and loading up for the future... that's our direction.

Obviously, there's still free agency, but even if this team is virtually the same as last year, then we still have a really nice, solid, deep team... Yeah, we're still a tier below Cleveland, but they have peaked. And when Lebron leaves for L.A. we won't have to worry about them and it will be our time to take control of the East. :D
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#37 » by jmr07019 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:00 pm

I think the plan is clear. Build around Brown, Tatum, LAL 18 (Ayton), Brooklyn 18 (Porter Jr) while giving yourself a puncher's chance at a title in 18-19 and 19-20 when those 4 players are on rookie contracts. Look at what guys like Wiggins and Parker are doing in their 3rd year in the league (20 ppg). If we can get that type of production out of Brown and Tatum while having IT, Hayward, Horford our team is going to be insanely talented. Then you will have 2 or 3 of Smart, Bradley, Crowder, KO and whatever you get out of Rozier, Yabs, Zizic, Boston 18. It's a super deep team. No weak links in the rotation. 4-6 guys could be allstar caliber and you can attack one of GSW's weaknesses (depth). Turn the pace up to 1,000,000 and force GSW to play their stars 40+ mpg b/c Brown or Tatum vs vet min guy is just a devastating mismatch.

Then you move on IT + Horford and transition the team to Brown, Tatum, LAL 18 (Ayton) and Brooklyn 18 (Porter Jr). At this point Bradley and Hayward are 30 but can still contribute at a high level for a few more years.
Show Love Spread Love
Stadium5
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,556

Post#38 » by Stadium5 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Im ok with the Tatum pick....preferred Fultz or Jackson but Tatum is really young, skilled, and has a large frame to fill out. He could blossom into something special

I still have huge concerns about Ainge being terrible at consolidating assets. You trade the shoe-in #1 overall for an apparent lesser talent, and an extra pick that may or may not be in the lottery....with zero chance of being #1 overall pick. Piss poor neogitating from a position of power. That's where you burn an Avery or Crowder to get rid of those protections, or outright grab both of those picks.

He has to do whatever he can to get PG13 on this team for pennies on the dollar. Keep him from LA, giving our new asset a chance at a 2-5 pick, and having faith the Boston fans can convince PG13 to sign long term.

But this cliff we're heading towards...whether its signing both IT and Bradley to long term deals or outright losingt hem for nothing, is a stupid one. The values of them took another huge drop now that draft day is behind us
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#39 » by Roddy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:22 pm

tombattor wrote:
Roddy wrote:We want to be the worst rebounding team of all time. (see draft 2017)

I tight zizic is the next Rodman

Sure. And Ojeleye is the next Draymond Green.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#40 » by ermocrate » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:34 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:They have no great players. That's the bottom line. Until they get some all these assets mean nothing.

Who's"they"?
"Negativity in this town sucks"

Return to Boston Celtics