ImageImageImage

Jaylen browns next step

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Re: Jaylen browns next step 

Post#21 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Well right now he's a 3 and D guy with a shaky 3 and inconsistent D.

So he simply, has to work on absolutely everything.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's behind Tatum already in our rotation.

We saw in the summer league he can't be trusted with the ball in his hands still. Can't do anything with the ball inside the 3 point line other than go in a straight line and try to dunk with 0 creativity (as shown by him getting blocked in Summer league and getting offensive fouls).

He'll play a Jae Crowder role and look better in the regular season. But my God what a disappointing showing. He look like the exact same player as he was a rookie.

So yeah right now he has: best body for a wing, otherworldly athleticism, which gives him a great first step, a shaky 3. That's it.

The league average for a 3 is 35%, he needs to continue his progress and reach at least that level. And if he learns the team defense this year and doesn't get lost as often that will help his defense tremendously.
SeizeCoup
Lead Assistant
And1: 665

Post#22 » by SeizeCoup » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:45 pm

He need to learn how to make dribble moves/drives while at full speed. It seems like his body is moving too fast for the ball. Which tells me he either needs to slow down (like smart has done which has lead to some ball control improvement) or he needs to practice dribbling while going all out.

I've seen countless videos of him practicing his dribbling skills but they've all been while standing in place or going slowly (or medium speed) through the motions. If he had better control of pace he'd probably elevate to the next level.

Also he needs to always follow through with the shot, shoot it with confidence. Too often he pulls back and it leads to a short shot.

There's no guarantee, but if he can put those two things together (consistency on his J and better ball control/pace of play) he is going to be a beast.
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,606

Post#23 » by Asian Celtic » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:58 pm

I just want him to focus on his handling. Not the everything that'll end up with a very slight upgrade. I think i'm in the minority where i want him to focus on handling instead of everything.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#24 » by Taget » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:13 pm

When I saw him play in Summer League he reminded me of that type of player who can make spectaculars explosive plays but you were unsure whether you'd be wowed or they'd end up flat on their back. Right now everyime Jaylen touches the ball you are not sure whether to be excited or scared. You can see every part of him trying to do something great but you are unsure whether he can pull it off. So like everyone said on the offensive-end ball handling. And making his ball and body movement more economical. Work on an old man's game like Tatum so he has a better foundation to combine with his athleticism.

Of course defense is what will get him playing time. Especially since hopefully our additions will ease our past scoring problems.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,487

Post#25 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:57 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Well right now he's a 3 and D guy with a shaky 3 and inconsistent D.

We saw in the summer league he can't be trusted with the ball in his hands still. Can't do anything with the ball inside the 3 point line other than go in a straight line and try to dunk with 0 creativity (as shown by him getting blocked in Summer league and getting offensive fouls).

He'll play a Jae Crowder role and look better in the regular season. But my God what a disappointing showing. He look like the exact same player as he was a rookie.

So yeah right now he has: best body for a wing, otherworldly athleticism, which gives him a great first step, a shaky 3. That's it.

The league average for a 3 is 35%, he needs to continue his progress and reach at least that level. And if he learns the team defense this year and doesn't get lost as often that will help his defense tremendously.

I think we're putting way too much stock in these summer league games. Not that I'm saying that Jaylen doesn't need to most likely work on his all around game but I'm guessing the reason why the kid wanted to play in the summer league was to work on his weaknesses, which we saw. So while we saw what Jaylen needs to work on with Tatum he mostly highlighted his own strengths in summer league. We didn't see a lot of passing, offensive rebounding, or three point shooting from Tatum, which scouting shows he needs the most improvement in. Preseason is a while away, a good amount of time to work on their games, especially with Jaylen, who's also playing in Africa in august.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#26 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Well right now he's a 3 and D guy with a shaky 3 and inconsistent D.

I think we're putting way too much stock in these summer league games. Not that I'm saying that Jaylen doesn't need to most likely work on his all around game but I'm guessing the reason why the kid wanted to play in the summer league was to work on his weaknesses, which we saw. So while we saw what Jaylen needs to work on with Tatum he mostly highlighted his own strengths in summer league. We didn't see a lot of passing, offensive rebounding, or three point shooting from Tatum, which scouting shows he needs the most improvement in. Preseason is a while away, a good amount of time to work on their games, especially with Jaylen, who's also playing in Africa in august.

From the Summer League games I basically saw everything in Tatum's draft express video. And the same with Jaylen's from last year's.

I look for improved moves in the games rather then performance. Better handle, basketball awareness, defense, ect.

Tatum is as advertised, low ceiling polished player with an inefficient black hole offense and takes a ton of inefficient 2s and tough shots. A little rebounding. That however, is more game than I saw from Jaylen (who playing a 3 and D role could be more valuable to this team next year but I'm not sure... in that role he's strictly inferior to Crowder while Tatum could make gains and take minutes away from Morris).
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,965

Post#27 » by darrendaye » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:33 pm

SeizeCoup wrote:He need to learn how to make dribble moves/drives while at full speed. It seems like his body is moving too fast for the ball. Which tells me he either needs to slow down (like smart has done which has lead to some ball control improvement) or he needs to practice dribbling while going all out.

I've seen countless videos of him practicing his dribbling skills but they've all been while standing in place or going slowly (or medium speed) through the motions. If he had better control of pace he'd probably elevate to the next level.

I made similar comments here after he posted his workout videos.

His primary goal, if he wants to be an essential member of a championship level team, is to become defensively elite. A few posters have gotten on me for questioning his effort level at times. Overall I think it's good. But, similar to last year's play, he seemed a half step slow in reacting to his man's movement at times and that put him behind the play. On one or two occasions, he displayed great effort in catching up by blocking the shot from behind. But that's a modest issue, imo. I was more disappointed in what I thought was him too readily "handing off" his assignment to another player. I compare that to what stood out about Ojeleye for me. Ojeleye was determined to stay with his man and was late to recognize times his teammate took the guy. In most cases I saw little reason for the hand off and Ojeleye really battled around screens and was in good position. Now, Brown certainly relished defending tough assignments last year. But great defenders like Leonard and Green take it as a personal affront to hand off that assignment to someone else. Ojeleye showed that same trait in his time in summer league. Brown seemed more willing, at times, to have someone else take the challenge from him.

One very positive observation I had of Brown's defensive play, however, was playing with more active hands. I'm optimistic about the guys's future. I just hope he has enough guys in his ear that are pointing out all of the nuances of the game he should be focused on if he truly has the goal to achieve greatness.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 9,979

Post#28 » by fallguy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:35 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

From the Summer League games I basically saw everything in Tatum's draft express video. And the same with Jaylen's from last year's.

I look for improved moves in the games rather then performance. Better handle, basketball awareness, defense, ect.

Tatum is as advertised, low ceiling polished player with an inefficient black hole offense and takes a ton of inefficient 2s and tough shots. A little rebounding. That however, is more game than I saw from Jaylen (who playing a 3 and D role could be more valuable to this team next year but I'm not sure... in that role he's strictly inferior to Crowder while Tatum could make gains and take minutes away from Morris).

Tatum is not a low ceiling player. That's poor player evaluation right there.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#29 » by ermocrate » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:26 pm

FakeScreenName123 wrote:He's gotta be able to dribble the ball and hit a pull up jumper without hitting hte backboard. BUt it's all about dribbling with him

Why? The backboard is your friend...
"Negativity in this town sucks"
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#30 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:10 pm

fallguy wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

Everything's relative. He could become a scoring superstar. Other people look for ball handling, elite physical tools for their position, passing, man defense, rim protection, weak side help defense, 3 point shooting in their projections.

Having a goto move in one on one situations is a hard skill to learn. So at least he's got that to work with.
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#31 » by KumaJG » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:32 pm

ParticleMan wrote:
KumaJG wrote:Needs to improve on a lot things before he is even a solid starter. The skill and BBIQ aren't there. Doesn't yet read the defense well. His defense still terrible. Handle is shaky as hell. Raw as a shooter. Needs to be better as a finisher. His bet is a Ricky Davis type player because I don't see him becoming a star because he doesn't do anything elite.

Hell at this point in time, Brown is that not much better than Semi.

Semi? lol not even in the same area cod. JB has some things to improve but this is a crazy hot take.

For now he is a 3-and-D guy with good open court skills. He's getting most of his mins at the 2 spot.

things to work on:
- posting up smaller guards when the opportunity arises
- making quick decisions to slash to the rim
- moving without the ball to receive in better spots
- passing in the flow of pace and space
- ballhandling, but it's not the achilles that people are making it out to be -- he isn't much worse than bradley if at all.

Given Brown current deficiencies, he is not that much better than Semi right now. Semi a better shooter & defender. Obviously Brown has more upside given raw he is.

At stage Brown is not even a 3D guy. He gets by just by being a better athlete. So his next step is to improve on every basketball skill known to man because he doesn't have an elite skill. Improve his BBIQ and feel for the game.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,072

Post#32 » by Froob » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 pm

Should be the name of his Player's Tribune article.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
fallguy
Head Coach

Post#33 » by fallguy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:47 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
fallguy wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

Everything's relative. He could become a scoring superstar. Other people look for ball handling, elite physical tools for their position, passing, man defense, rim protection, weak side help defense, 3 point shooting in their projections.

Having a goto move in one on one situations is a hard skill to learn. So at least he's got that to work with.

Tatum has a high, high ceiling. Whether or not he reaches it is up in the air and will depend on all sorts of factors. Your read on him feels cloaked in bias for whatever reason.
fallguy
Head Coach

Post#34 » by fallguy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:49 pm

KumaJG wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:
KumaJG wrote:Needs to improve on a lot things before he is even a solid starter. The skill and BBIQ aren't there. Doesn't yet read the defense well. His defense still terrible. Handle is shaky as hell. Raw as a shooter. Needs to be better as a finisher. His bet is a Ricky Davis type player because I don't see him becoming a star because he doesn't do anything elite.

Semi? lol not even in the same area cod. JB has some things to improve but this is a crazy hot take.

For now he is a 3-and-D guy with good open court skills. He's getting most of his mins at the 2 spot.

things to work on:
- ballhandling, but it's not the achilles that people are making it out to be -- he isn't much worse than bradley if at all.

Given Brown current deficiencies, he is not that much better than Semi right now. Semi a better shooter & defender. Obviously Brown has more upside given raw he is.

At stage Brown is not even a 3D guy. He gets by just by being a better athlete. So his next step is to improve on every basketball skill known to man because he doesn't have an elite skill. Improve his BBIQ and feel for the game.

We have a ways to go with Jaylen. Anyone expecting a grand leap next year will likely be disappointed.

Although he now has another 2.5 months to work on... everything.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#35 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:04 pm

fallguy wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
fallguy wrote:

Tatum has a high, high ceiling. Whether or not he reaches it is up in the air and will depend on all sorts of factors. Your read on him feels cloaked in bias for whatever reason.

Again dude. Depends on what you look for and what you're comparing him too for celings. Not everyone is going to be an all-star but some people like to say any player drafted by the team they're a fan of has an all-star ceiling.

As for Tatum, I happen to think he was a safe low ceiling pick at his position. He's never going to bust which is nice, but as prospects I'd feel as if Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Fox, Issac, and Dennis Smith all have higher ceilings either based off elite physical tools, elite defense (which is something I don't believe really can be taught) or elite ball handling (which is what I peg as the most required skill for a star these days. Shooting might be the only other skill that could be debated instead as the most required).

Not even half of those players will pan out, and Tatum is never going to regress so he'll end up better than some of them. But based on his body, athleticism, ball handling, and 3 point shooting that he comes into the league with I peg him as a low ceiling player for where he was drafted. He's the safe pick. Which really just doesn't make sense for a team ever in the top 3 in my book. Especially if we knew a Hayward for Bradley deal was likely and we'd be left without a natural SG on the team and for backup PGs we'd have Smart and Rozier who are both... underwhelming backup PGs (hopefully one of them learns to shoot over 40% this year but I'm not counting on it)
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#36 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:57 pm

ParticleMan wrote:

things to work on:

I'm with the second take, that's continuing to get better at the things he's already started to do. And his handles are ok, but we're holding him to a higher standard because of his upside. As a 2/3 he looks very help-dependent offensively- he needs to get himself open on the periphery of the main action, he needs plays called for him, to get the ball in his spots where he can take a couple seconds and make a move. He looks right now like he's becoming what Jeff Green was hyped to be - great D, perimeter shooting, varied offensive capacity (Green never had that as much as people thought), and a great motor. Can post up smaller players, take bigger ones off the dribble - and post up larger players, and take smaller ones off the dribble.

BBIQ limited, just inexperienced. He's practicing moves but then he uncorks one at random, and doesn't respond instinctively when he gets to a second defender. The hope would be that with practice and experience, he responds more automatically, recognizes situations he's been in before, and that because his brain has made the moves and choices automatic, he has more cognitive room to survey the court in a higher-level way.

If that's who he is - very good defense, great athleticism, good offense worth 18-22 points a game, depending on how often his number gets called - no one will complain, he's a borderline all star. Or a regular all-star, if he does all that consistently at a high level.

To be even better, his team IQ has to go up, and he has to combine his raw athletic talent with some of the fluidity we've seen already - in summer league - from Tatum, in winding his way into and around defenses.
Sven
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#37 » by Sven » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:39 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:But based on his body, athleticism, ball handling, and 3 point shooting that he comes into the league with I peg him as a low ceiling player for where he was drafted.

That's not really what ceilings are measured by, though. I reject the first two points, but those can be reasonably debated. The last two don't make any sense, really.

Ball handling looks to be a strength of his, he handles the ball very well for his size and age and he's shown that in countless ISO situations in the SL. Your point might be that he can't "handle the ball" as a point-forward yet, but his nice handle and ability to pass the ball in the halfcourt and transition without turning the ball over shows he has a high ceiling as a ball handler. He may never reach that potential, but nothing at all says he has a bad handle or can't pass the ball and never will. Not being asked to pass the ball and not being able to make a pass are two different things, and nothing he's shown points to a future inability to work on and improve his ability to pass and dribble until they're elite.

I also have no idea how him not shooting many threes yet affects his ceiling whatsoever. He shot 90% from the FT line in SL, shot 85% in college, has a great arch on his shot, and a soft touch. All of these point to his high ceiling as a shooter. Brad will have him shooting threes. Your last two points basically come down to, "He doesn't play point-forward or shoot threes yet, and he will never change his style or improve his game, so he has a low ceiling." I feel like your only real reason is "his body" and you wanted to add a couple more issues from his scouting report in there but forgot they make no sense when looking at Tatum as a prospect unless we have two totally different understandings of what ceilings mean in the context of athletes.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#38 » by ddb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:03 am

Jaylen Browns next step is New Orleans. Next summer baby...or maybe the deadline

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM mobile app
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,329

Post#39 » by reload141 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:31 am

ddb wrote:Jaylen Browns next step is New Orleans. Next summer baby...or maybe the deadline

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM mobile app

Agreed.

Brown/Brooklyn18/LA18 more picks and players, reckon they'll try and keep Tatum
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#40 » by NormanDale » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:29 pm

CelticsLV wrote:Becoming better at what he was doing last season - mainly being better 3&D player. SL proved he's still far from reliable with ball in his hands.

I agree with this. I don't think it's realistic to expect a significant ball-handling improvement this season, to the point where he can beat people off the dribble or run a pick-and-roll.

If he can hit a three, defend well, and blow by a hard close-out, he will be a very useful player. Get that first, then work on the more difficult stuff afterwards.
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."

Return to Boston Celtics