ImageImageImage

OT: Magic to Bird to Magic

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

OT: Magic to Bird to Magic 

Post#1 » by GWVan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:01 pm

I was watching this last night and when I saw the Magic no-look to Bird who no-looked back at 1:45 I remembered something. This was two 17 year old kids playing with men. We hype the crap out of players now and they and their agents go out of there way to feed into the hype and the NBA promotion machine. I'm not saying that is a bad thing but we forget how good the pre-"star treatment" guys were. I've watched a lot of basketball in the last 45 years or so and I still don't believe I've ever seen anyone who was better than these two. Sometimes I forget.
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Re: OT: Magic to Bird to Magic 

Post#2 » by tlee324 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Love it. Some guy uses my quote as his signature sarcastically, but there's no question in my mind Bird is better than anyone I'm seeing today in the league. I'd only put a few in NBA history over him.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#3 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:01 pm

This footage was definitely the best part about that Bird/Magic documentary. Imagine being in that gym at that time, getting to see what would turn out to be 2 future legends/rivals, the guys who would save the NBA, playing on the same team. That's what made the Dream Team so special for me. After years of hating Magic, I finally got to root for him since he was now on Larry's team.
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#4 » by vct33 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Bird is my all-time favorite player but I considered Magic the GOAT until LeBron.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#5 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:55 pm

I never saw footage of that USA team. Unbelievable how good they already were. Imagine if they joined up together the way stars do today. Would love to see two complete all around players like that together someday - if there ever is a day when there are 2 of them in NBA at the same time ever again. As great as GSW, Heat, Celtic super teams have been - it would tough to top a combination like that.

Return to Boston Celtics