Moderator: bwgood77

dingodile
Sixth Man
And1: 8
Location: Second Innermost Circle of Hell...a.k.a. Laker Country

OT Suggestions for KU fan traveling to NO for the Final Four 

Post#1 » by dingodile » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm heading out to your great city for the final four this weekend and as I've never been to NO would appreciate any input on places I should check out. I'm staying in the French Quarter and would like to see some of the touristy areas, but would be more interested in learning about the hidden gems the city has to offer.

So I'd really appreciate it if you have any suggestions on places to eat or bars to hit up. Thank you.
"I can tell you my testicles are the same size," he added later. "They haven't shrunk. They're the same and work just the same as they always have." - Barry Bonds disputing allegations of steroid use.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: OT Suggestions for KU fan traveling to NO for the Final 

Post#2 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:05 am

Hit Coop's Place for lunch one day.

It's a straight dive which is awesome IMO, they have some great stuff like the Rabbit and Sausage Jambalaya, and Lamb Ribs.

Drago's is a must for the charbroiled oysters, they are insanely incredibly unbelievable, but don't bother with a main course, their overall menu and execution is garbage and a tourist trap.

But those charbroiled oysters will change your life. Just order round after round of the oysters(regular raw on a half shell are dope too) and beers.

The Old Coffee Pot is awesome for breakfast.

Cafe Beignet is another must try for breakfast or lunch and obviously, beignets.

Brunch at the Court of Two Sisters is off the chain, highly suggest there as well.

Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse is to die for.

As for nightlife, you can't go wrong with the Quarter, although you'll be surprised at the lack of good jazz and how it's mostly commercial type music clubs and watch out some of the spots are real tourist traps.

Just bar hop like crazy.

Pat O'Brien's is a must stop for some day time black out imbibing though.

If you're a poker player, Harrah's has a nice room too BTW.

I'm not from New Orleans or even Louisiana, but when I was there I had the time of my life, it's an amazing city, although I'm not sure how anyone who lives there year round gets anything done lol.

Hope that helps.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
dingodile
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by dingodile » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:45 am

It does help. Thank you.
"I can tell you my testicles are the same size," he added later. "They haven't shrunk. They're the same and work just the same as they always have." - Barry Bonds disputing allegations of steroid use.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#4 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:25 am

So how'd your trip go?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
dingodile
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by dingodile » Thu May 3, 2012 4:30 am

It was great. Thank you. We stayed at a BnB in the French Quarter and Bourbon street was just as fun as advertised. Funny story...I bought a beer from some guy and asked him if I could take it off Bourbon Street, he said (in a deep cajun accent) "you can take it to the airport." I was also surprised to see how reasonably priced the drinks were. I was expecting extremely overpriced drinks. We did find some good jazz at a place called Fritzels and ended up there 3 out of 4 nights.

Overall the atmosphere was great. All the fans of the teams were great company and we didn't see any fights or other nonsense.

Obviously the food was amazing and the oysters at Drago's were incredible.

We loved seeing our Jayhawks steal one from Ohio State and the trip was great. There's no way to describe it and we have stories for days and I'd love to go back there again.

Thanks for the tips.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#6 » by Copperhead » Thu May 3, 2012 10:32 pm

dingodile wrote:It was great. Thank you. We stayed at a BnB in the French Quarter and Bourbon street was just as fun as advertised. Funny story...I bought a beer from some guy and asked him if I could take it off Bourbon Street, he said (in a deep cajun accent) "you can take it to the airport." I was also surprised to see how reasonably priced the drinks were. I was expecting extremely overpriced drinks. We did find some good jazz at a place called Fritzels and ended up there 3 out of 4 nights.

Overall the atmosphere was great. All the fans of the teams were great company and we didn't see any fights or other nonsense.

Obviously the food was amazing and the oysters at Drago's were incredible.

We loved seeing our Jayhawks steal one from Ohio State and the trip was great. There's no way to describe it and we have stories for days and I'd love to go back there again.

Thanks for the tips.

Glad you had a good time. :D I need to try those oysters at Drago's one day. People rave about them all the time.
MJordan4Ever
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by MJordan4Ever » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:30 am

My son (17 years old) and I are visiting New Orleans to watch a couple NBA games at the end of March. We were just wondering what you recommend for some good local food and things to see there.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans