Moderator: bwgood77

Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Anthony Davis trademarks his brow 

Post#1 » by Copperhead » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:23 pm

:rofl:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47951613

Anthony Davis, who will likely be taken as the No. 1 pick in this Thursday’s NBA Draft by the New Orleans Hornets, is getting down to business -- literally.

Davis, known for his connected eyebrows, trademarked the phrases “Fear The Brow” and “Raise The Brow” earlier this month.

“I don’t want anyone to try to grow a unibrow because of me and then try to make money off of it,” Davis told CNBC. “Me and my family decided to trademark it because it’s very unique.”

Davis said that people frequently tell him to cut it, but Davis said he won’t because “everyone’s talking about it.”

During Davis’ freshman year at Kentucky, where he led the Wildcats to a National Championship, Davis didn’t capitalize on all the “Brow” merchandise that was being sold due to NCAA rules which would compromise his eligibility. The school kept a close eye on merchants that selling any “Brow” merchandise.

“We sent a half a dozen cease-and-desist letters,” said Jason Schlafer, the school’s associate athletic director for marketing. “But towards the end of the season, people were getting really creative.”
Master Amino
Freshman
And1: 1

Re: Anthony Davis trademarks his brow 

Post#2 » by Master Amino » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:55 pm

Funny yet disappointing all at the same time. I was hoping he'd eventually shave that thing down the middle.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Copperhead » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:13 pm

I don't understand why some are so bothered by it. Hell it ain't even the worse unibrow I've ever seen. I think it's trivial how people seem to worry about it.

Davis' isn't even as half way bad as this.

http://fumaga.com/10431
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by Copperhead » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:21 pm

If everyone's clowning him about it, Davis might as well laugh all the way to the bank.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-o ... tchphrases

:lol:
2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#5 » by 2poor » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:16 pm

"The Brow"

yup, it's gonna happen.

projected team comradery idea: everyone grows their eyebrows out for the playoffs.

:lol:
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Copperhead » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Unorthodox? Yes. Funny? Duh. Smart? No question about it. While we’re all laughing at the brow, he’ll be preventing others from laughing all the way to the bank. It will certainly enhance his recognition, and it lets us all know how serious he is about who he is. It’s not an ego thing. It’s a pride thing.

Davis is the most recent athlete to apply for a trademark for a phrase, a trend that has increasingly picked up steam of late. At the beginning of this year, 2011 Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III filed for trademarks for his name, RGIII, RG3 and the phrase “Unbelievably Believable,” which he said during his Heisman acceptance speech. He also created an LLC, Thr3escompany. Both Davis and Griffin are wisely getting on the trademark train early – at least as early as they can. Per NCAA regulations, they were not able to profit from their names or status in college. It’s the same reason why Percy Miller had to go by his birth name, rather than his trademarked rap name Lil’ Romeo, when he was a part of the USC basketball team.

All of these phrases are goofy in some way. But protecting them makes sense.

And not only does trademarking a phrase protect an athlete from others making money off of these phrases, but it gives them more definition as a personable and well-known figure. In turn, this can lead to other big opportunities.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lancemadden ... um=twitter
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#7 » by 2poor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:31 pm

he'll make millions off something as simple as a fake unibrow sold at home games. :lol:
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Copperhead » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:22 pm

2poor wrote:he'll make millions off something as simple as a fake unibrow sold at home games. :lol:

Smart kid.

I think it's only if the catchphrases 'Fear the Brow' or 'Raise the Brow' are used though right?

Linsanity is trademarked. Tebowing is trademarked. Pat Riley trademarked Three Peat.
2poor
RealGM

Post#9 » by 2poor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:45 pm

yeah I'm sure there would be some tie in to a catchphrase like that.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Copperhead » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:43 pm

• Presumed No. 1 pick Anthony Davis said the suggestion to trademark his uni-brow was made my his agent and his parents. "I know I'm going to keep it so I didn't want anyone else to have it,'' Davis said. "This is me. Only I can rock it this way.''

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... -nba-draft
m1kenoff
Bench Warmer
And1: 482

Post#11 » by m1kenoff » Mon Jul 2, 2012 5:14 pm

Lame. Very very lame.

Less time trademarking and more time practicing please. Severely sprained ankle a severely lame angle.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans