Moderator: bwgood77

WCDYNASTY
Bench Warmer
And1: 95

Hornets changing nickname to Pelicans 

Post#1 » by WCDYNASTY » Tue Dec 4, 2012 11:50 pm

Hornets Expected To Change Name To Pelicans
December 4 at 5:36pm CST By Chuck Myron

The Hornets will become the New Orleans Pelicans as early as next season, according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports. The new name, which mirrors Louisiana's monicker as the Pelican State, was selected over the Krewe and the Brass. Owner Tom Benson has wanted to change the name since he took over the team earlier this year, and he owns the rights to the Pelicans name, as Spears points out.

The Hornets nickname might not disappear from the NBA, however, since Bobcats owner Michael Jordan has expressed a willingness to change his team's name to the Hornets. The current Hornets franchise played in Charlotte before moving to New Orleans in 2002.

SOURCE:
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/12/hornets-expected-to-change-name-to-pelicans.html
Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 130

Re: Hornets changing nickname to Pelicans 

Post#2 » by Nanogeek » Wed Dec 5, 2012 2:42 am

Witch Doctors would have been a far cooler name. :) Or better yet convince Utah to change their name so New Orleans could take back the Jazz name. :D
dilbert719
Sixth Man
And1: 128

Post#3 » by dilbert719 » Wed Dec 5, 2012 3:03 am

I kind of have a soft spot for New Orleans sports, since I have family down there, so I feel like I have a tiny bit of a stake in this. Pelicans is a solid name, but not the best option, honestly. They should have been the Krewe of New Orleans (explicitly NOT the New Orleans Krewe). Jazz would have been awesome, and frankly Utah should have been required to adopt a different name when they left, much as the Ravens had to. I'll grant that wasn't something people thought of back then, but still, Jazz and Krewe would have been best.

Pelicans, though, I'm cool with, and hopefully Jordan will follow through for Charlotte, and return the Hornets name and colors to them as well. Good changes all around.
Bryan Colangelo Elton Brand: The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

Daryl Morey: The Solution to All of Life's Problems
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 515

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Wed Dec 5, 2012 4:35 am

When Washington changed their name from Bullets to Wizards their was an outcry from fans.

When Charlotte chose Bobcats over Flight, fans rolled their eyes.

Now that New Orleans is proposing Pelicans as a name, they should be forced to sell the team to Seattle & become the Sonics.

Worst name idea in the history of sports! Even worse than the proposed New Jersey Swamp Dragons (a defunct possible name switch from the Nets).

Your trying to build a brand with AD & Co. Don't kill it with Pelicans before you even have a chance at respectability.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Thakk Attackk13
Junior
And1: 9

Post#5 » by Thakk Attackk13 » Wed Dec 5, 2012 5:01 am

Thakk Attackk13
Junior
And1: 9

Post#6 » by Thakk Attackk13 » Wed Dec 5, 2012 5:03 am

JustCame
Assistant Coach
And1: 505

Post#7 » by JustCame » Wed Dec 5, 2012 2:22 pm

Sounds ferocious.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#8 » by theman » Wed Dec 5, 2012 3:43 pm

Bad name. Way too many syllables. Four (between city and team) is optimal. New Orleans should have a nickname that is one or two syllables. Jazz is perfect since it is one syllable. Another option would be Voodoo or CrawDads.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
UrbanLegend
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#9 » by UrbanLegend » Wed Dec 5, 2012 3:56 pm

dilbert719 wrote:I kind of have a soft spot for New Orleans sports, since I have family down there, so I feel like I have a tiny bit of a stake in this. Pelicans is a solid name, but not the best option, honestly. They should have been the Krewe of New Orleans (explicitly NOT the New Orleans Krewe). Jazz would have been awesome, and frankly Utah should have been required to adopt a different name when they left, much as the Ravens had to. I'll grant that wasn't something people thought of back then, but still, Jazz and Krewe would have been best.

I disagree, I don't understand why fans say that the Utah Jazz 'SHOULD' have given or forced to change its name. Why? Just because? I have not read anywhere, yet a good concise reason to why Utah should do that.

The Utah Jazz have now over 30+ years associated and a history with Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Sloan. So just because a few people in New Orleans are butt-hurt still... get over it. It'll never happen.

Even the Jazz owner said that it'll never happen. So get used to it, Utah Jazz.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#10 » by theman » Wed Dec 5, 2012 4:12 pm

Once a team moves and keeps its name it is too late to move the name back to the old team. Although, basketball not withstanding, is Utah a hot bed for Jazz?

Charlotte taking back the Hornet name, if New Orleans, gives it up is just silly.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
dilbert719
Sixth Man
And1: 128

Post#11 » by dilbert719 » Wed Dec 5, 2012 7:09 pm

UrbanLegend wrote:I disagree, I don't understand why fans say that the Utah Jazz 'SHOULD' have given or forced to change its name. Why? Just because? I have not read anywhere, yet a good concise reason to why Utah should do that.

The Utah Jazz have now over 30+ years associated and a history with Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Sloan. So just because a few people in New Orleans are butt-hurt still... get over it. It'll never happen.

Even the Jazz owner said that it'll never happen. So get used to it, Utah Jazz.

I don't think you're quite understanding what I meant there, perhaps because other people are advocating for the thing you're arguing against, even though I'm not. I'm absolutely not saying that the Jazz should return the team name to New Orleans. What I'm saying is that when the franchise moved in 1979, it would have been preferable, in my opinion (and I wasn't even born then, so take it for what it's worth) for the team to find a different name, one more directly affiliated with Salt Lake City or Utah in general. I'd rather have seen the Colts change names when they moved to Indianapolis, so Baltimore could have had their Colts back in the future. I still want a team in Seattle called the Supersonics, and I was pleased when Cleveland got to keep the name Browns. Fanbases have attachments to their team, which is why people talk about "rooting for laundry," and my preference is always for a city who's lost their team to not see that team take the name somewhere else. That way, they can reclaim the name, if they choose, when a new team comes into town.

Similarly, I wasn't pleased with the Hornets taking the team name with them when they moved from Charlotte. It's just a personal preference, but I know I'd be infuriated if I lost the Flyers, Phillies, Eagles, or Sixers, had to watch them somewhere else under that name, and couldn't ever get that team I loved back.
Bryan Colangelo Elton Brand: The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

Daryl Morey: The Solution to All of Life's Problems
Sn0wman
Banned User
And1: 5,803

Post#12 » by Sn0wman » Wed Dec 5, 2012 11:28 pm

http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8152/6996117668_6e890fd0df_o.jpg

Holy F***! That has to be the cutest logo I've ever seen, I'd totally buy that jersey
gensu3k1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#13 » by gensu3k1 » Thu Dec 6, 2012 6:00 am

theman wrote:Bad name. Way too many syllables. Four (between city and team) is optimal. New Orleans should have a nickname that is one or two syllables. Jazz is perfect since it is one syllable. Another option would be Voodoo or CrawDads.

This has surely prevented the New England Patriots from getting their 4th Super Bowl win.
Zach Randolph + Kevin Durant >>>>>>> Greg Oden. Bob Whitsitt>>>>>> Kevin Pritchard.
"Jan Vesely, this guy can really shoot it." --Jay Bilas, 2011
Hawaii
Pro Prospect
And1: 21

Post#14 » by Hawaii » Thu Dec 6, 2012 6:25 am

I guess I don't mind the name Pelicans, but I think Voodoo is MUCH better. Selling Pelican merchandise may be a problem.
Blasphemy
Bench Warmer
And1: 82

Post#15 » by Blasphemy » Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:12 pm

and I thought the Raptors had a bad name.

"A wise man told me don't argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who." - Jay-Z
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,123

Post#16 » by GopherIt! » Sat Dec 8, 2012 9:00 am

That's the most evil, cruel, and foul-tempered flamingo you ever set eyes on!

That Pelican's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#17 » by Goldtop » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:14 pm

D_GoLow
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,243

Post#18 » by D_GoLow » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 pm

dilbert719 wrote:I kind of have a soft spot for New Orleans sports, since I have family down there, so I feel like I have a tiny bit of a stake in this. Pelicans is a solid name, but not the best option, honestly. They should have been the Krewe of New Orleans (explicitly NOT the New Orleans Krewe). Jazz would have been awesome, and frankly Utah should have been required to adopt a different name when they left, much as the Ravens had to. I'll grant that wasn't something people thought of back then, but still, Jazz and Krewe would have been best.

Pelicans, though, I'm cool with, and hopefully Jordan will follow through for Charlotte, and return the Hornets name and colors to them as well. Good changes all around.

And when the Grizzles moved to Memphis they shouldve changed their name...etc, etc, etc
This is not a moment, it's a movement
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#19 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

A wonderful bird is the pelican,
His bill will hold more than his belican,
He can take in his beak
Enough food for a week
But I'm damned if I see how the helican!

or:

A funny old bird is a pelican.
His beak can hold more than his bellican.
Food for a week
He can hold in his beak,
But I don't know how the hellican.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixon_Lanier_Merritt
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to New Orleans Pelicans