Jrue Holiday trade makes the Pelicans the biggest winner

Moderator: bwgood77

lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 764

Re: Jrue Holiday trade makes the Pelicans the biggest winner 

Post#61 » by lordjeff05 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:44 pm

I think it's funny that this thread is still going. I have a problem with people characterizing things as obvious and certain based on a strong summer league on a minute restriction.

The bottom line is that we traded the possibility of what Noel could be for the certainty of what Jrue is. To be so sure that one team "won" that trade is pretty silly, especially if the two players (Noel and Payton/ Saric) are 20 years old.

I think the argument that Noel could be traded later is a bad one, as having Davis on the team prevented us from being able to showcase Noel at his best. The fit was always bad, and we would have had to take a discount to flip him to another team, even if he had a "strong summer league."

Cities get restless hearing about potential and what could or might happen. The Pels haven't made the playoffs, and a team this year with Payton, Noel and Davis doesn't make the playoffs in the West, after 4 years of being crappy. And that's assuming we get Payton and not Saric who won't paly for at least two years. Now, we might not make it this year but we will have a much better shot than we would with those guys. You are saying it would have been the smart thing to roll the dice with two developing players who if we are lucky would have developed passable offensive games by the fall of 2016.

By your reasoning, we would have been better going the Utah route, but that team is no closer to becoming a good team than we are. In fact, although they have played well, I believe the Pels are a better team with a better ceiling.

I continue to believe it was better to take the chance on a bonafide player than roll the dice in the worst draft in recent memory plus what pick might come in the next draft. Let's revisit this in a year or two, until then, both sides are happy so let's just leave it at that.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#62 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:56 pm

How do you all feel about a Jrue for Jeff Green trade? BOS would want a third team to take Holiday, but my thinking is that you guys need a small forward, and Green is prototypical, plus you could slide Evans to the lead guard position...
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#63 » by NinjaSheppard » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:12 am

There is no way we are trading Jrue Holiday. I am not his biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination but Demps views him as the second main piece on the team after Davis and he has invested in him as such.

Plus we don't need a Jeff Green type SF we need a DeMarre Carroll type SF if we go with a traditional lineup. Jrue and Tyreke isn't a bad fit at all.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#64 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:38 pm

Huh, interesting.. I figured you'd have shooting/spacing issues with Holiday, Reke and Asik.. I have no idea who DeMarre Carroll is..
EvilGenius
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#65 » by EvilGenius » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:03 pm

How many of you started drooling last night imagining what Nerlens along side of Davis could have been?
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,156

Post#66 » by Revived » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:28 am

EvilGenius wrote:How many of you started drooling last night imagining what Nerlens along side of Davis could have been?

I was thanking god for that not happening. The West would have been TEN times harder having to deal with a Noel-Davis front court.
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#67 » by Wonderllama » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:38 pm

Big winner, lol. Epic fail! Noel is playing like a man possessed!
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,856

Post#68 » by Phila Tough » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:29 pm

miltk wrote:this is a good deal for NO because noel will bust. he's a 8/7/1.5 man

and saying jrue is behind rondo rose dwill wall is not a bad thing,,,,is it.

Lol
Phila Tough
Head Coach

Post#69 » by Phila Tough » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:32 pm

iNolaNightmare wrote:
thenbaman wrote:
iNolaNightmare wrote:I just don't see how Sixers fan can view this trade as a win for them yet. Noel is still an unproven, undersized center with one of the worst common injuries in sports. The pick is another story. If Parker or Embiid stay, or both stay (God forbid), you're looking at a crapshoot of a draft and not much depth at number 8 or so. I also love when people compare MCW and Jrue.

MCW: 22 year old rookie.
Jrue: 23 year old veteran, All-Star.

If we wanted Noel or the pick or MCW we would have taken them or kept it. We wanted Jrue to complement the superstar we already have.

Hows that working out for ya,lol :lol:

Ask me next year.

Okay, how's that working out For ya?
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#70 » by goodboy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:57 am

Lol Lurk
Bright
iNolaNightmare
Sophomore
And1: 86

Jrue Holiday trade makes the Pelicans the biggest winner 

Post#71 » by iNolaNightmare » Wed Apr 8, 2015 5:02 pm

Lurk Nowitzki wrote:
iNolaNightmare wrote:
thenbaman wrote:
Hows that working out for ya,lol :lol:

Ask me next year.

Okay, how's that working out For ya?

Hmmmm.... He's hurt, and has been hurt with the same injury the past two seasons. A stress fracture is pretty serious and I wish him a healthy recovery. It's unfortunate, but it's typical Pelicans for a player who has been an iron man to come here and deal with injury.

As for how it's working out, well.... The Pelicans have the best and brightest young player in the NBA on their team currently and for the foreseeable future. They currently hold the 8th seed despite dealing with a plethora of injuries to key players. The future is very bright. I have no worries Jrue won't be a contributor to our team.

I'd much rather our situation than the Sixers situation, and I still would rather Jrue than Noel and Dario Saric as of now. Call me a homer, but I follow this team much closer than you or any other Sixers fans or outsiders do, so I'd like to think I'm a little more exposed and comfortable with what we're doing.
Phila Tough
Head Coach

Post#72 » by Phila Tough » Wed Apr 8, 2015 5:27 pm

I'm not sure what the Pelicans having Anthony Davis have to do with the Sixers/Pelicans trade. You also could have Noel too. Congrats on having Anthony Davis though. We have Embiid and Noel, and another top 5 pick coming. we're pretty excited too.
iNolaNightmare
Sophomore
And1: 86

Post#73 » by iNolaNightmare » Wed Apr 8, 2015 6:27 pm

Lurk Nowitzki wrote:I'm not sure what the Pelicans having Anthony Davis have to do with the Sixers/Pelicans trade. You also could have Noel too. Congrats on having Anthony Davis though. We have Embiid and Noel, and another top 5 pick coming. we're pretty excited too.

If you're happy then why can't you just leave it be? I'll never understand why Sixers fans have to keep bringing it up like it's a debate. We're happy, you're happy. Congratulations, you have Noel. We have Anthony Davis. We could have had both, but Noel was coming off of an ACL tear and would miss an entire year, while we have an owner who is in his late 80s and wants to see the team win now. It remains to be seen if Noel and AD would have even been a good fit together. It's so funny to me that you still come back to this thread to try to throw it in my and other Pelicans fans faces.

I would wish you guys the best of luck on your future endeavors, but it's hard because you and your fan base is almost bitter and spiteful for "winning" this trade. I don't see how that works. If you think Dell Demps is so incompetent, why do Sixers fans continually argue about this trade like it's a debate? We're happy, and so are you.

I can't stand the Seattle Seahawks, but I'm sure you know that the Saints just did a massive trade with them including star tight end Jimmy Graham. Seahawks fans have been cool about it, as well as Saints fans, because while it may have been questionable, it benefited both teams.

No one knew if Noel would recovery and no would knew Holiday, who was known to be a healthy iron man coming off of an all-star season, would suffer from an unfortunate nagging injury.

Hindsight is 20-20, my friend. But if you're happy, why do you still give a ****?

Return to New Orleans Pelicans