Jrue Holiday trade makes the Pelicans the biggest winner

Moderator: bwgood77

Koorverfor3
Sophomore
And1: 118

Re: Jrue Holiday trade makes the Pelicans the biggest winner 

Post#41 » by Koorverfor3 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 6:27 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Sixers fan, Jrue made an all star team...One time...In a season where Deron Williams wasn't playing quite up to par, and Derrick Rose was injured. Brandon Jenning probably deserved that last spot as much if not more than Jrue. I was glad to see him make the team, but lets be real....He'll never make it out west with Lillard, Curry, Parker, Paul, etc out there.
Sixers got the better end of this deal...IF....Noel pans out and becomes a player. We do have the lotto pick unless you guys somehow win the lottery as well, so even if either Noel or this pick doesn't work out, we still got more than fair value for an overrated Jrue Holiday. I loved Jrue while he was a Sixer, but he never gave the feeling that an all stars give. In other words, I never was convinced about him. Michael Carter Williams in his first season has already showed me more than Jrue did during his first two seasons. Not only did we replace him, but we have possibly a great defensive big man along with a top 10 lotto pick.
It's a shame Jrue got injured and i'm sure he'll be back strong next year.

Jrue deserved that all-star spot. People need to go to the stats at the point they were selecting all-stars. He was playing out of his mind. Him likely never getting another all-star doesn't bother me. Mike Conley likely won't either and he's a great player. We didn't make the trade for the all-star designation, we made the trade to get a great complimentary, all-around player with few holes in his game. Also MCW in his first season is only one year older than Jrue is RIGHT NOW. I hope as the focal point of a horrible offense you saw more out of him than you saw out of Jrue when he was a 4th option on a playoff team.

You don't have to WIN trades, they can be mutually beneficial. That's ok. I'm not hoping Noel or whoever you get at the 10 are busts. But, there is a chance that both things happen. Jrue playing well for the Pels is/ was a better bet than hoping Noel pans out and getting someone really good at the 10. Just as a reminder Austin Rivers was a 10 and so was CJ McCollum and Jimmer Fredette. How have they panned out so far? Yeah Paul George was also the number 10, but you are rolling the dice and history tells you that likely as not you don't get a superstar or even a starter at that spot. But even if Noel pans out he'd be a bad fit with Davis, whereas Jrue is a good fit with Davis.

As a Sixers fan I never understood the obsession with Jrue. He played out of his mind for 2 months that was it. Like stated before he would be perfect as a 3rd guard off the bench like a real Rich mans Brandon Knight.

He is a lengthy defender, but I do not trust him running a team. I would take 12-15 PG's firmly ahead of him if I was starting a franchise. He is what he is, a mid level point guard. Not an All Star.
18ppg on 17 shots per game is not all star efficiency. Thats Mike James okay player bad team good stats
Last year...14ppg on 13 shots per game..no better.
Point guards who can't score efficiently or make more than one free throw per game..count me out
"I just told myself whoever was guarding me I was gonna destroy them" D'Angelo Russell said.
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#42 » by lordjeff05 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 7:55 pm

I'd make the argument all over again, but I'd just be repeating myself. Jrue is an incredibly well-rounded player ideally suited for the complimentary role he has with the Pels. If given the option to make that trade again, I'd do it every day and twice on Sunday.
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#43 » by Baller2014 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 1:09 am

Luckily Hinkie has bought himself plenty of time before we can judge him on this trade, because who knows when we'll have a good idea what Nerlens and Saric are worth.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#44 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jul 2, 2014 10:51 pm

Nerlens should be a fine player, he's just obviously not the fit we need here at all. If we are going to play a limited offensive player in the front court with Davis, it's ideally going to be a big body, not a thin shotblocker.

We'll end up with Jrue and Asik from the 6th, 10th and whatever next years pick is, and I'm way more than happy with that, considering I think we're going to do really well this year. Had Nerlens been an explosive wing, or a big body big man that was so highly touted and dropped to 6, I'd be sad about trading him.

Should work for Philly too, Embiid has to recover too, and i'm not sure I love Embiid and Noel as a perfect match either, but they'll have a lot of time to figure out who the keeper is out of them, and can hopefully fit them, or move one for a nice package.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#45 » by Mr Sixer » Sat Jul 5, 2014 9:00 pm

You'd be silly to not trade Jrue for Noel straight up. Saric and the 2nd and 1st rounder we got along with Saric is just a bonus
Blush_Face
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#46 » by Blush_Face » Sun Jul 6, 2014 10:22 pm

Noel and Embiid = 0 regular season games played this season
BULLS BEARS BLACKHAWKS CUBS
HoraryAstrology
Junior
And1: 150

Post#47 » by HoraryAstrology » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:16 am

Mr Sixer wrote:You'd be silly to not trade Jrue for Noel straight up. Saric and the 2nd and 1st rounder we got along with Saric is just a bonus

Why wouldn't New Orleans fans defend the trade from their standpoint? I'd never do the trade but people defend what they are, what they want and what they like. I hope Jrue makes a great comeback and dominates. Mostly what I've heard from Sixers fans is his cons, but when he was on Philly you were sure bragging about his pros.
Stars Don't Lie. "Anyone can be a millionaire, but to become a billionaire you need an astrologer."
Mr Sixer
Banned User

Post#48 » by Mr Sixer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:53 am

JoaKING Noah wrote:
Mr Sixer wrote:You'd be silly to not trade Jrue for Noel straight up. Saric and the 2nd and 1st rounder we got along with Saric is just a bonus

Why wouldn't New Orleans fans defend the trade from their standpoint? I'd never do the trade but people defend what they are, what they want and what they like. I hope Jrue makes a great comeback and dominates. Mostly what I've heard from Sixers fans is his cons, but when he was on Philly you were sure bragging about his pros.

That's because everybody's a homer of their own team. It more just is a headscrating move on your part. Jrue is now doubt a good pg but not elite. You guys let Noel sit for a year and tank a little harder for one year then there's a chance you pick up like smart or elfrid Payton, Noel Peyton Davis is a better team than Jrue Davis. Noel plus that pick is worth way more than Jrue holiday and the bottom line is you rushed your rebuild and lost the trade in the process
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#49 » by IMAN5 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:05 pm

well I was very wrong about this one... lol
instagram.com/510movement
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#50 » by Baller2014 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:19 am

When the Pelicans win 50 games this year, and Noel is nothing special, will people stop claiming the Pelicans got robbed?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,532

Post#51 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:01 am

Baller2014 wrote:When the Pelicans win 50 games this year, and Noel is nothing special, will people stop claiming the Pelicans got robbed?

I don't want to step at other people's neck while they are down. So Pelicans fans, just ignore this if you find this a bit offensive. But let me clarify things here for Baller2014..

2014 NOH 1st.
IMO the Pelican's fair value of the 1st rounder the Pelicans gave up along with Noel was projected to be non-lotto. I don't think Pelicans would be sane enough to give up the projected no.1 player in the 2014 draft along with another lotto pick for Jrue. The trade was banking on Jrue and their acquisition helping their talented squad make it to the play-offs. But due to injuries, competitiveness in the west and chemistry concenrs, they didn't.

Nerlens Noel
Noel looked great in the SL. There were no signs of any knee problem. His offense improved by leaps and bound. On offense, he showed improved shooting, improved post moves and his advanced ability to finish using both hands, passing and ball handling skills. But he is far from a finished product, he needs to strengthen his body to prevent getting pushed around and to establish position to grab the boards. But never the less, I think most people around the league would prefer Noel over Jrue. Considering his potential (only less than a year older than Wiggins) and current showings.

Rumored KLove deal vs Jrue deal
In comparison, looking at the rumored trade offer for a top 5-6 player in KLove that is centered around Benett, Wiggins, taking contracts and a 1st. Comparing it to the package the NOH gave up for Jrue that is composed of Noel (possibly end up better than Wiggins), Saric(possibly better than benett), future 1st, unloading Jrue's contract and 2nd. Personally, I don't think it's that far off in terms of value and has the potential to be the better package long term.

My opinion
Sorry if I would offend other fans in this but take it with a grain of salt for it's just my opinion.. I think the Pels', for the lack of a better word, got robbed in this trade in terms of talent. And the surprise people got when they heard that it was the Pels who was the one giving the pick in the trade, not the sixers was already an early indicative.

The gamble didn't pay off for the Pelicans. Jrue turned out nothing special. The 2013-2014 failed the team's expectation and the pick end up being a lotto pick. Noel, based on his SL performance, is a strong candidate for ROY in 2014 and a strong candidate for DPOY in the future (great impact on the defensive end, racks up steals and blocks).

I think that talentwise, it's lopsided going Sixers way. But in terms of impact based on how beneficial the deal is, I think it's a trade that would eventually help both teams. Pels' certainly was in a rush to make immediate impact and provide a good supporting cast around AD which they were able to achieve in this trade. Jrue is a very good two way PG, who can create, defend and space out the floor. But is Jrue an all-star PG? That remains to be seen.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#52 » by Baller2014 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:28 am

76ciology wrote:I don't want to step at other people's neck while they are down. So Pelicans fans, just ignore this if you find this a bit offensive. But let me clarify things here for Baller2014..

2014 NOH 1st.
IMO the Pelican's fair value of the 1st rounder the Pelicans gave up along with Noel was projected to be non-lotto. I don't think Pelicans would be sane enough to give up the projected no.1 player in the 2014 draft along with another lotto pick for Jrue. The trade was banking on Jrue and their acquisition helping their talented squad make it to the play-offs. But due to injuries, competitiveness in the west and chemistry concenrs, they didn't.

Nerlens Noel
Noel looked great in the SL. There were no signs of any knee problem. His offense improved by leaps and bound. On offense, he showed improved shooting, improved post moves and his advanced ability to finish using both hands, passing and ball handling skills. But he is far from a finished product, he needs to strengthen his body to prevent getting pushed around and to establish position to grab the boards. But never the less, I think most people around the league would prefer Noel over Jrue. Considering his potential (only less than a year older than Wiggins) and current showings.

In comparison, looking at the rumored trade offer for a top 5-6 player in KLove that is centered around Benett, Wiggins, taking contracts and a 1st. Comparing it to the package the NOH gave up for Jrue that is composed of Noel (possibly end up better than Wiggins), Saric(possibly better than benett), future 1st, unloading Jrue's contract and 2nd. Personally, I don't think it's that far off in terms of value and has the potential to be the better package long term.

My opinion
Sorry if I would offend other fans in this but take it with a grain of salt for it's just my opinion.. I think the Pels', for the lack of a better word, got robbed in this trade in terms of talent. And the surprise people got when they heard that it was the Pels who was the one giving the pick in the trade, not the sixers was already an early indicative.

The gamble didn't pay off for the Pelicans. Jrue turned out nothing special. The 2013-2014 failed the team's expectation and the pick end up being a lotto pick. Noel, based on his SL performance, is a strong candidate for ROY in 2014 and a strong candidate for DPOY in the future (great impact on the defensive end, racks up steals and blocks).

I think that talentwise, it's lopsided going Sixers way. But in terms of impact based on how beneficial the deal is, I think it's a trade that would eventually help both teams. Pels' certainly was in a rush to make immediate impact and provide a good supporting cast around AD which they were able to achieve in this trade. Jrue is a very good two way PG, who can create, defend and space out the floor. But is Jrue an all-star PG? That remains to be seen.

Well of course you think that. You're a hard core Hinkyite. You keep asserting Nerlens was the secret #1 pick last year, as opposed to what he was (the guy who fell to 6th, and hasn't played a minute of basketball since then). It was Hinky who gambled on the pick, it's obvious that if not crushed by injuries the Pelicans would have had a significantly worse pick to convey (we judge trades based not only on results, which are very important, but what was actually known at the time; which is why when a team gives up a 2nd rounder, and years later that 2nd rounder turns into a star, the team who traded wasn't foolish). Fortunately for you, Nerlens and Saric are years away from proving if they're more valuable than Holiday to the Pelicans, but based on what I've seen and heard I think the Pelicans are much better off with Holiday. Last year the Pelicans had injuries, next season I'm expecting them to make the playoffs.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,532

Post#53 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:44 am

Baller2014 wrote:
Well of course you think that. You're a hard core Hinkyite. You keep asserting Nerlens was the secret #1 pick last year, as opposed to what he was (the guy who fell to 6th, and hasn't played a minute of basketball since then).

No, Nerlens was not the secret #1 pick.
Objectively and subjectively, he was the best player.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2013/05/the-diff-the-stats-behind-drafting-nerlens-noel-at-no-1/

In the end, I’ve long thought that Nerlens Noel is the deserving, no-brainer, don’t-think-twice-about-this No. 1 choice throughout the college basketball season. These numbers above back it up in a variety of ways, showing his elite potential and room for continued improvement. In my mind, he’s not the next coming of Greg Oden just because of one freak injury. He’s more likely to be a transcendent defensive talent, with room to grow offensively

Baller2014 wrote:It was Hinky who gambled on the pick, it's obvious that if not crushed by injuries the Pelicans would have had a significantly worse pick to convey (we judge trades based not only on results, which are very important, but what was actually known at the time; which is why when a team gives up a 2nd rounder, and years later that 2nd rounder turns into a star, the team who traded wasn't foolish).

The pick made the deal much lopsided. But taking away the pick, I still think that a potential DPOY player and a guy who can anchor a team's defense in Noel is a much valuable commodity.

And in the end, you can't deny that Hinkie won the gamble and the results are very much positive going Sixers way.

Baller2014 wrote: Fortunately for you, Nerlens and Saric are years away from proving if they're more valuable than Holiday to the Pelicans, but based on what I've seen and heard I think the Pelicans are much better off with Holiday. Last year the Pelicans had injuries, next season I'm expecting them to make the playoffs.

Noel will not take years away from proving his worth. He is a strong candidate for ROY next year.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mvpelicans
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#54 » by mvpelicans » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:03 pm

76ciology wrote:
Baller2014 wrote:When the Pelicans win 50 games this year, and Noel is nothing special, will people stop claiming the Pelicans got robbed?

I don't want to step at other people's neck while they are down. So Pelicans fans, just ignore this if you find this a bit offensive. But let me clarify things here for Baller2014..

2014 NOH 1st.

Nerlens Noel

My opinion

I dont know if Noel is injured free, because in summer league he didnt play a lot, but he looks GREAT... in sumer league :o . (Russ Smith, who practically came in Holiday trade made the all-NBA summer league second team)
He could be an excelent defensive player but hes still very raw on offense.

The Love vs Holiday trade, first of all, we dont know the true on love rumors but u said:
Noel (possibly end up better than Wiggins), Saric(possibly better than benett), future 1st

POSSIBLY are huge

Noel (possibly end up like Oden), Saric (possibly like Casspi), about the future 1st i dont know if it true
but if its true possibly never happen.

Your opinion

U see what u want to see.

"Jrue turned out nothing special". First year with a NEW team, a lot of new players, he was injured. Ty Evans play really well at the end of the season. It takes time to devolp chimestry. I hope/belive this year we would make the playoffs. Anyways, Noel played ZERO for your sixers.... so nothing special there.

About all star, i dont know if he is or not, its about team play. Last year only Parker makes the all star for the Spurs... Anyways Noel is an all star? Saric? at least we have Russ Smith :lol:

One more thing, Jrue comes here to be the 2nd/3rd player (AD, Ty), i guess Noel never is going to be the first player of any team, unless they TANK.

Video: Jrue 1st season on Pelicans
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDZ-bqczLy8[/youtube]

Video: Noel 1st season on 76ers... comming soon :D
Mr Sixer
Banned User

Post#55 » by Mr Sixer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:08 pm

mvpelicans wrote:
76ciology wrote:

2014 NOH 1st.

Nerlens Noel

My opinion

I dont know if Noel is injured free, because in summer league he didnt play a lot, but he looks GREAT... in sumer league :o . (Russ Smith, who practically came in Holiday trade made the all-NBA summer league second team)
He could be an excelent defensive player but hes still very raw on offense.

The Love vs Holiday trade, first of all, we dont know the true on love rumors but u said:
Noel (possibly end up better than Wiggins), Saric(possibly better than benett), future 1st

POSSIBLY are huge

Noel (possibly end up like Oden), Saric (possibly like Casspi), about the future 1st i dont know if it true
but if its true possibly never happen.

Your opinion

U see what u want to see.

"Jrue turned out nothing special". First year with a NEW team, a lot of new players, he was injured. Ty Evans play really well at the end of the season. It takes time to devolp chimestry. I hope/belive this year we would make the playoffs. Anyways, Noel played ZERO for your sixers.... so nothing special there.

About all star, i dont know if he is or not, its about team play. Last year only Parker makes the all star for the Spurs... Anyways Noel is an all star? Saric? at least we have Russ Smith :lol:

One more thing, Jrue comes here to be the 2nd/3rd player (AD, Ty), i guess Noel never is going to be the first player of any team, unless they TANK.

Video: Jrue 1st season on Pelicans
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDZ-bqczLy8[/youtube]

Video: Noel 1st season on 76ers... comming soon :D

And Jrue could just as easily become the next Oden as well. He has had more injuries in the last year than Noel anyways. Obviously anything can happen, we are just giving our best guesses and it is looking pretty certain that the 76ers are the winners of the trade right now.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#56 » by pelifan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:35 pm

The alternative, from reports, probably would have been drafting Burke and overpaying Iggy, Nick Young, Teague, or Jennings. I agree the trade was good from your perspective, but there doesn't have to be a loser. We gave up too much value in the Ask trade too, but value doesn't play basketball. I don't think it would be a stretch to say Jure, Davis, and Asik end up top 5 defenders at their positions and we win 50 games, I don't know how that's losing.

And you can win all the trades you want and throw as many hypothetical homerisms as you want, we'll win actual basketball games. Maybe you're just bitter about that NFL playoffs loss. Thanks for giving us Russ Smith for that punk Pierre Jackson. Russ looks really good.

I love Joel Embiid by the way, I honestly hope he turns into a good player.
Mr Sixer
Banned User

Post#57 » by Mr Sixer » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:02 am

pelifan wrote:The alternative, from reports, probably would have been drafting Burke and overpaying Iggy, Nick Young, Teague, or Jennings. I agree the trade was good from your perspective, but there doesn't have to be a loser. We gave up too much value in the Ask trade too, but value doesn't play basketball. I don't think it would be a stretch to say Jure, Davis, and Asik end up top 5 defenders at their positions and we win 50 games, I don't know how that's losing.

And you can win all the trades you want and throw as many hypothetical homerisms as you want, we'll win actual basketball games. Maybe you're just bitter about that NFL playoffs loss. Thanks for giving us Russ Smith for that punk Pierre Jackson. Russ looks really good.

I love Joel Embiid by the way, I honestly hope he turns into a good player.

No, the alternative would not have been drafting Burke and overpaying Iggy, Nick Young, Teague or Jennings. That would have been the alternative if you guys were trying to continue to follow the plan of being idiots and trying to rush yourselves into the playoffs by giving up too much to fill your starting positions.

The real alternative would have been being patient, drafting Noel and ensuring yourself another young lottery piece in the loaded 2014 draft to add to your core. Davis is young and if Noel was totally redundant and didn't fit at all you could have traded him for better value than you did for trading him with the pick for Jrue.

It's losing when you guys in one fatal trade went from a team that had the potential to be a perennial contender and build around the best young big man in the game to a team that will never go anywhere barring the addition of a huge free agent or a huge amount of luck late in the draft.

I'm just gonna ignore the hypothetical homerisms and Russ Smith part...
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#58 » by Knighthonor » Thu Oct 9, 2014 10:19 pm

fill me in on this trade
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#59 » by Diggr14 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Noel will bust a knee after 10 games in Odenesque fashion..

And Saric will be a malcontent once he gets here.

Philly being Philly.. I really don't understand what their GM is doing. Drafting already injured + high injury risk players when they are healthy.. as well as a Euro with a prima donna history already.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#60 » by Wilfried » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Diggr14 wrote:Noel will bust a knee after 10 games in Odenesque fashion..

And Saric will be a malcontent once he gets here.

Philly being Philly.. I really don't understand what their GM is doing. Drafting already injured + high injury risk players when they are healthy.. as well as a Euro with a prima donna history already.

Injuries can't be predicted, so that's a lame argument. His injury was a freak accident (like Paul George). There's no reason to believe Noel is injury-prone.

Saric is one of the most promising players in Europe and still very young. He will be a very interesting player/asset.

And you can't blame the Sixers for Embiid getting hurt and slipping to #3. I'm totally sure if Embiid wasn't injured, he was #1 and a Cavalier. Sixers would have taken Wiggins and Parker and he would be part of their rebuilding.

Now it's Embiid and it would have been stupid to pass on him for Randle, Exum, Smart or other ...

Return to New Orleans Pelicans