Jrue Holiday trade makes the Pelicans the biggest winner

Moderator: bwgood77

IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Jrue Holiday trade makes the Pelicans the biggest winner 

Post#1 » by IMAN5 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:54 pm

...of last night's draft.

An absolute steal. An all star pg, franchise type player, for a #8 pick. absolutely amazing for you guys, huge steal.

I'm not a fan of the team, I'm from Toronto, but I love the rebranding and pelicans and everything. And pair that with anthony Davis and now Jrue + all the other good little pieces you guys have. Could be the start of something big.
instagram.com/510movement
SJSF
Banned User
And1: 310

Re: Jrue Holiday trade makes the Pelicans the biggest winner 

Post#2 » by SJSF » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Sixers fan here. Please don't get over excited. He is a solid pg. But not a franchise guy that is as good as the elite PGs. He also turns the ball over way too much. He fell apart at the end of the season. But we all loved Jrue as a Sixers fan. A real class act. But not a star player and probably won't get to another all-star game ever again. He only went because of the injuries in the east. Good luck
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#3 » by PhilasFinest » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:48 am

Yea quite the overreaction by Iman.

Holiday is a solid you g guard, but he's not a franchise player and honestly, not a likely perennial Allstar either.
He put up decent #'s on a crappy team and made the Allstar game because Rose,Rondo,Wall were hurt and Dwill had a rough start to the year.

Quality player and good kid tho...decent pickup. AD is still there best bet at a "star" player, because holiday likely isn't...will b better off in a 2nd/3rd fiddle type of role.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#4 » by karkinos » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:41 pm

i like holiday. i think he fits monty williams' style perfectly.

i hate, hate, hate trading next year's draft pick, especially a first rounder. that's straight up absurd.

if you're trading jrue for noel, at best i will throw in a 2nd rounder (this year or next year's draft). no way in hell i give up my first rounder.

silver lining, pierre jackson is a steal for getting him late in the 2nd round. i think he will contribute solid minutes.
dukeknicksirish
Veteran
And1: 1,915

Post#5 » by dukeknicksirish » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:37 pm

But I like this deal...... Go after Asik, if Dwight signs with Houston, in a trade and you have a playoff team

-Maybe offer Anderson and a 2nd for Asik?

5.Asik
4.Davis
3.Aminu
2.Gordon
1.Holiday
IUPUI Basketball Alum / Former College Coach
JoeyH
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#6 » by JoeyH » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:04 am

dukeknicksirish wrote:But I like this deal...... Go after Asik, if Dwight signs with Houston, in a trade and you have a playoff team

-Maybe offer Anderson and a 2nd for Asik?

5.Asik
4.Davis
3.Aminu
2.Gordon
1.Holiday

Switch Aminu with a 3 that can shoot a la Budinger, D. Wright, or Webster and I love that line-up. Defensive potential is cray
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#7 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:05 am

I really like the trade. If we overestimated our talent, get racked with injuries, etc, we still get a top 5 pick, and if we play well, we don't really need a mid-late first anyway...

Jrue isn't a franchise player to me at all, but he's the type of PG that can fit any type of offense. Letting him split ball handling duties, spot up, and use his size defensively is going to benefit him and the team. I don't think he'll have as many responsibilities as he had in Philly, which will work for him.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#8 » by minimus » Mon Jul 1, 2013 11:49 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I really like the trade. If we overestimated our talent, get racked with injuries, etc, we still get a top 5 pick, and if we play well, we don't really need a mid-late first anyway...

Jrue isn't a franchise player to me at all, but he's the type of PG that can fit any type of offense. Letting him split ball handling duties, spot up, and use his size defensively is going to benefit him and the team. I don't think he'll have as many responsibilities as he had in Philly, which will work for him.

Exactly, now Pelicans can trade both Gordon and Vasquez (although I'd prefer to keep him and resign for reasonable price), sign Tyreke Evans and Iggy. Because Jrue can co-exist with everyone. Find backup PF and shooter: DeJuan Blair, Elton Brand, Morrow, Bellineli, Webster.

Lopez/Smith/Davis
Davis/Anderson/Smith
Iggy/Anderson/Miller
Evans/Rivers/Harris
Holiday/Vasquez/Roberts

The good thing is that with Anderson, Holiday, Davis spacing the floor Iggi and Evans has a plenty of room to operate.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#9 » by miltk » Tue Jul 2, 2013 5:11 am

this is a good deal for NO because noel will bust. he's a 8/7/1.5 man

and saying jrue is behind rondo rose dwill wall is not a bad thing,,,,is it.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#10 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jul 2, 2013 9:05 am

He's certainly a better player off the ball than Rondo, which might be more important. I don't want my offense built around Jrue or Rondo... and I definitely like Jrue better as a "piece" to an offense.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
nyc6
Bench Warmer
And1: 83

Post#11 » by nyc6 » Tue Jul 2, 2013 3:41 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:I really like the trade. If we overestimated our talent, get racked with injuries, etc, we still get a top 5 pick, and if we play well, we don't really need a mid-late first anyway...

Sixers go from 9th-10th seed to 13th seed

Pelicans go from 13th seed to 9th-10th seed

There is no question which direction makes more sense

Just a shortsighted move by NO that's completely discrediting its competition. West is stacked with 7 elite teams (if houston gets dwightn). POR, DAL, MIN and NO (possibly even LA or utah) will be fighting for the 8th seed

That's not a battle you want to be a part of

NO was in prime position to rest Noel, showcase EG and move him at deadline and tank for top 3-5 pick next year in strong draft
(6/29/2010)
RealGM.com where all players and coaches are scrubs except lebron and pop

(6/29/2013)
Pop and Lebron are officially scrubs due to questionable rotations and passive play in crunch time
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#12 » by karkinos » Mon Jul 8, 2013 7:19 pm

the next move has to be getting Asik for Anderson
F-Stop
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#13 » by F-Stop » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 am

6ers fan here...
huge Holiday fan...
IMO U guys made an awesome trade and now that you have Evans that pick you gave up will fall to the back of the lottery or even out of the lottery.

Holiday not overating him is way beyond just a solid guy. he plays D. he can shoot his turnovers are exagerated due to the lack of shooters/talent on that 6ers team. With what you guys already have in place adding Holiday will get you wins. As others said he may not get another All star selection through individual stats but he will get one through wins...

Hopefully you guys get him a coach. He never had one in philly and look what he accomplished. Wall - Westbrook - Curry all have teachers. Holiday needs one.
Make them respond to your way of playing not the other way around
Broad+Pattison
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#14 » by Broad+Pattison » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Why would you wanna be stuck as a 8-11th seed?
R U Legit
Senior
And1: 622

Post#15 » by R U Legit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:03 am

Broad+Pattison wrote:Why would you wanna be stuck as a 8-11th seed?

1) Everyone in this core is under 25. Stop assuming they won't improve

2) If Davis is as good as he is supposed to be, we would've gotten better regardless of whether we brought in Holiday or Evans

3) In 2011 the Pacers were the 8th seed, destroyed by CHI, In 2012 they took the Heat to 6 in the 2nd round, in 2013 they gave the Heat all they could handle and were one game away from the Finals... god forbid someone make the playoffs as an 8th seed

Furthermore, even if none of these moves work out, we still control Davis' fate for the next 8 years so, rest assured RealGM'er, we're guaranteed success
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#16 » by minimus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:07 pm

I guess it's time to get Gustavo Ayon. I'd like to have him as backup C/PF. Do Pelicans have money to offer him?

Davis/Smith/Stiemsma
Anderson/Smith/Ayon
Evans/Aminu/Morrow
Gordon/Rivers/Miller
Holiday/Roberts
Go Magic
Junior
And1: 122

Post#17 » by Go Magic » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:43 pm

nyc6 wrote:

Just a shortsighted move by NO that's completely discrediting its competition. West is stacked with 7 elite teams (if houston gets dwightn). POR, DAL, MIN and NO (possibly even LA or utah) will be fighting for the 8th seed

NO was in prime position to rest Noel, showcase EG and move him at deadline and tank for top 3-5 pick next year in strong draft

Now that we are down the road a little, this is exactly what I was thinking.

Now that the West is starting to take shape, do you NOP fans still like the Jrue trade? I understand being an 8 seed is not a horrible thing, but was Jrue worth Noel and what is looking like will be a pick in the 8-12 range?

Looking at it as an unbiased fan, I see Philly being in a pretty good position this coming offseason. Loads of money, nice young potential (Noel, Young, MCW, Turner, Wroten) PLUS the possibility of two top 10 picks in a loaded draft.
I don't know if I prefer to be an Orlando fan or Philly fan as both look to have bright futures.

Not to say NOP situation is bad, but do you guys regret that trade yet? Is Jrue making a huge difference like some thought?
tooler wrote:Our team is like a greenhouse with a few wise old horticulturalists. Everyone has a chance to grow.

Orlwillbeback wrote:Exum has shown me more in his draftexpress video than wiggins has shown all year. wiggins just isnt that good.
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#18 » by lordjeff05 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Go Magic wrote:
nyc6 wrote:

Now that we are down the road a little, this is exactly what I was thinking.

Now that the West is starting to take shape, do you NOP fans still like the Jrue trade? I understand being an 8 seed is not a horrible thing, but was Jrue worth Noel and what is looking like will be a pick in the 8-12 range?

Looking at it as an unbiased fan, I see Philly being in a pretty good position this coming offseason. Loads of money, nice young potential (Noel, Young, MCW, Turner, Wroten) PLUS the possibility of two top 10 picks in a loaded draft.
I don't know if I prefer to be an Orlando fan or Philly fan as both look to have bright futures.

Not to say NOP situation is bad, but do you guys regret that trade yet? Is Jrue making a huge difference like some thought?

As a Pels fan I am still happy with the move. Noel is a horrible fit with Davis and that's if he's able to get over his lack of weight long term. Jrue is such a great complimentary player to all of the other players on this team. Also something to remember is the options aren't just tank or win now. Nola made the move to get young vets. The expectation wasn't that they were going to be a contender this year, but year after next after a few years of gelling and one or two more pieces, who knows. In the meantime we have a fun team that folks might actually want to see. The tanking stuff gets old and it's myrder on your fan base. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
R U Legit
Senior
And1: 622

Post#19 » by R U Legit » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 am

It was a good trade for both teams.
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#20 » by lordjeff05 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:53 am

R U Legit wrote:It was a good trade for both teams.

Completely agree, these things don't have to be zero sum. Even though I like it for the Pels, that doesn't mean it was bad for Philly.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans