Davis emerges as vocal leader for Pelicans

Moderator: bwgood77

Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Davis emerges as vocal leader for Pelicans 

Post#1 » by Copperhead » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 pm

“I think he’s more comfortable now,” Williams said of Davis’ adjustment to the NBA. “Obviously he played well, and everybody loves him. But he also understands that people are going to judge him differently than other players. He wants to be an All-Star. He wants to be one of the best players in the league. He wants to be a night-in and night-out guy that you can count on. So he’s put the work in. He’s also more vocal, and he’s stepping out there to show our team that he’s not going to sidestep being a leader. I’ve pushed him to do stuff in his second year that he hasn’t been asked to do. And I think that’s good for him, because he’s a special player.”

As Williams explained, Davis’ moderate first-year workload was by design. Even though it may have made things more painful for team and coach from a short-term standpoint, it was an approach Williams believed was best for the budding player.

“He was the No. 1 pick – that in itself brings a different kind of pressure,” Williams said. “But that’s OK. That’s what you want. That means he’s a gifted player and people expect a lot out of him. And at the same time, it’s my job to limit that pressure and manage the expectations. I thought I did that last year, maybe to my detriment. But for him to be the best player he can be, I thought we had to tail it off a little bit. Now I think we can kind of push him out there and say, ‘Hey, let’s go.’ I think he’s more prepared for it now.”

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/blog/davis- ... cans-72313

Training wheels off. Reigns loosened.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Davis emerges as vocal leader for Pelicans 

Post#2 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Monty really does seem to get it. I really hope we don't get impatient as the team grows, I think Monty is an excellent coach, and is really growing into a top notch one... He seems very flexible, when most coaches are quite rigid and stubborn in their approach to things.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
AbsoluteZero
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#3 » by AbsoluteZero » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:40 am

So freaking excited!
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#4 » by Hoopz Afrik » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:23 pm

I could definitely see Davis going for 18-10 and emerging as the teams best player.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Return to New Orleans Pelicans