Darkhorse choice for Lebron?

Moderator: bwgood77

dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Darkhorse choice for Lebron? 

Post#1 » by dautjazz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 pm

With the other young teams tied up in contracts this summer (Portland, Minnesota, Houston, etc.), elite teams as well (Indiana, San Antonio, etc..), and big markets not looking like a option for Lebron because of no cap space (Brooklyn, Clippers, Chicago), or not having enough support for Lebron (Lakers, Knicks), it begins to look like the Pelicans are becoming an attractive location for free agents this summer. Lebron has to be excited about the chance to place with a player of the caliber of Davis, a few other players who are borderline All-Star talent (Anderson, Gordon, and Holiday). If the Pelicans have good fortune and can land a top 3 pick, I think Lebron has to be crazy not to sign up.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
TheSchmaranz
Bench Warmer
And1: 108

Re: Darkhorse choice for Lebron? 

Post#2 » by TheSchmaranz » Mon Dec 2, 2013 3:07 am

APacoJ
Sophomore
And1: 120

Post#3 » by APacoJ » Mon Dec 2, 2013 6:19 am

No.
Who exactly fears a Pelican?
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#4 » by Bubstubbler » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:15 am

Say the team gets a top 3 pick and LeBron wants to come. Who would you want them to draft and how would you see the core going into next year?

I think Smart and Embiid would be the best additions, but I'd probably lean toward Embiid. I think he'll be a truly elite 2-way player in the league. Offensively, I think he'll be a great scorer in the post with a surprisingly sweet stroke from outside (and around 75-80% on ft's). Defensively, I think he could form a devastating duo with AD (at pf), helping to give the Pelicans by far the best defense in the league.

Holiday
Gordon
LeBron/Evans
Anderson
Davis/Embiid

That's a championship team right away next year, and that AD/Embiid could still be carrying LeBron to championships a dozen years from now when he's 40. It wouldn't be overly surprising if they won titles in 6 of the next 12 seasons. That possibility has got to be pretty enticing to a guy like LeBron.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#5 » by PDXKnight » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:12 am

I don't think Lebron is thinking New Orleans just like he wouldn't head to Portland if we had cap space and it boils down to the same reason: big market money. Lebron wants to make the money that comes with being in a big city in addition to his contract and unfortunately for smaller market teams that means that Lebron is more likely to opt for a location where he is going to be more marketable (such as LA or Miami). I'd be very happy for New Orleans and I'd certainly be watching a lot of pelicans basketball if NO could pull in Lebron James but realistically I don't think it happens in a million years unfortunately.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,892
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#6 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:47 pm

I think LeBron is at the point where market size really has no bearing on how marketable he is. He's not going to come here, but I think with our shooters, and another budding superstar in Davis... he should really consider it.

Miami and Cleveland's media market isn't much different size wise, and LA and NY are substantially larger than Miami, Cleveland, ETC.

I don't think he'll choose us, but I think if he did, New Orleans is good enough a sports town to support the LeBron train, especially given the core players we'd have around him.

I don't think LeBron wants to be known as a guy that jumps from team to team, and he knows that he's in a place with a GM that will always surround him with quality teams.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Golfer1081
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#7 » by Golfer1081 » Sun Feb 2, 2014 12:01 pm

Bubstubbler wrote:Say the team gets a top 3 pick and LeBron wants to come. Who would you want them to draft and how would you see the core going into next year?

I think Smart and Embiid would be the best additions, but I'd probably lean toward Embiid. I think he'll be a truly elite 2-way player in the league. Offensively, I think he'll be a great scorer in the post with a surprisingly sweet stroke from outside (and around 75-80% on ft's). Defensively, I think he could form a devastating duo with AD (at pf), helping to give the Pelicans by far the best defense in the league.

Holiday
Gordon
LeBron/Evans
Anderson
Davis/Embiid

That's a championship team right away next year, and that AD/Embiid could still be carrying LeBron to championships a dozen years from now when he's 40. It wouldn't be overly surprising if they won titles in 6 of the next 12 seasons. That possibility has got to be pretty enticing to a guy like LeBron.

NO would have to loose almost every remaining game to get Embiid. Top 3 picks will go to the horrible east this year. Lebrun stays in a big market, endorsements are too important.
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#8 » by Bubstubbler » Thu Feb 6, 2014 7:54 am

Golfer1081 wrote:
Bubstubbler wrote:Say the team gets a top 3 pick and LeBron wants to come. Who would you want them to draft and how would you see the core going into next year?

Holiday
Gordon
LeBron/Evans
Anderson
Davis/Embiid

NO would have to loose almost every remaining game to get Embiid. Top 3 picks will go to the horrible east this year. Lebrun stays in a big market, endorsements are too important.

They can get Embiid by getting lucky in the lottery, and imo the key to LeBron maximizing his endorsements is maximizing his championships. If he were to think that signing with the Pelicans would maximize his championships and give him a legit chance at making a run at Bill Russell's ring total, I don't think the size of NO's market would deter him.

Sure would be fun to watch that team play, wouldn't it?
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#9 » by Agnostifarian » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:53 pm

Video Game...
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#10 » by Agnostifarian » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:57 pm

MCW
Lance Stephenson
Lebron/Wiggins
Monroe/Vonleh
Noel

That could happen for Philly
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
dtewi
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#11 » by dtewi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:10 am

I think LeBron is gonna go to Milwaukee.

Think about it, he gets to be the man again, running the show all the time like in Cleveland, he did say he was jealous of KD. Milwaukee is a perfect fit for him.

Not to mention the lack of press coverage, not as much scrutiny, and since Milwaukee isn't vying for a title, it would take all the pressure off of him. Milwaukee perfect fit.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,649

Post#12 » by hype_2004 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:04 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:I think LeBron is at the point where market size really has no bearing on how marketable he is. He's not going to come here, but I think with our shooters, and another budding superstar in Davis... he should really consider it.

Miami and Cleveland's media market isn't much different size wise, and LA and NY are substantially larger than Miami, Cleveland, ETC.

I don't think he'll choose us, but I think if he did, New Orleans is good enough a sports town to support the LeBron train, especially given the core players we'd have around him.

I don't think LeBron wants to be known as a guy that jumps from team to team, and he knows that he's in a place with a GM that will always surround him with quality teams.

Let's face it he wants to be in a city wich beaches, great nightlife, big media market and great weather all-around. It's either he stays in Miami or plays in LA, the clippers that is, he doesn't want to play in Kobe's shadow and wants to make his own identity and put a stamp on the city of LA. Lebron when it's all said and done will re-sign in Miami or end up on the Clippers.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans