Pelicans' Anthony Davis has taken his game to another level

Moderator: bwgood77

Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Pelicans' Anthony Davis has taken his game to another level 

Post#1 » by Copperhead » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:13 am

Last month, Miami Heat star forward LeBron James got the conversation started about the Mount Rushmore of the NBA and where he stood among the league's all-time hierarchy.

The banter hasn't slowed.

And after New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis' career game in Sunday's 121-120 victory against the Boston Celtics when Davis poured in 40 points, 21 rebounds and three blocks, discussions already have begun as to how close Davis is to becoming one of the faces of the NBA.

During a radio interview Monday morning, former NBA player, coach, executive and current TNT analyst Steve Kerr said Davis may be only a couple years away from joining James and Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant as the league's biggest stars.

"Hopefully," Davis said when told of Kerr's comments. "I would definitely love that. I have a lot of work to do, a lot more to improve on. And coach is going to be right there with me, helping me out through the way. As I grow he is going to grow and vice versa. Hopefully in years to come I am going to be able to be in that conversation."

Pelicans swingman Tyrke Evans said Davis certainly is trending in that direction.

"I don't see (anything) wrong with it," Evans said. "He's playing great in his second year. Nobody expected him come out like this. He's having an amazing year."

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Davis, who turned 21 last week, is the third-youngest player to have a 40-point, 20-rebound performance, trailing only 20-year-olds John Drew (who had two in 1974) and Shaquille O'Neal.

His statistical feat marked the first time in franchise history anyone reached 40 points and at least 20 rebounds in a game. He also became only the eighth player in NBA history to have at least 40 points, 20 rebounds and three blocks in a game.

Pelicans coach Monty Williams said Davis' performance was one of the best he has seen and certainly the best he has witnessed by one of his players since he became an NBA head coach four years ago.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/ ... er_default

Return to New Orleans Pelicans