Step Aside Nash, Chris Paul is the NBA's Best Point Guard

Moderator: bwgood77

2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#21 » by 2poor » Sat Mar 1, 2008 7:53 pm

Hornets are 25th in the league in pace.

Jazz are 9th.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinge ... ague%3dnba

facts > biased opinions
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#22 » by Duiz » Sun Mar 2, 2008 12:13 am

Your kidding...

I mean I don't mind being corrected, but from many things that I've read, I was under the idea that the pace for the Hornets was fast breaks, and strong strong defense.

Feel free to educate me, I am not a mindless mob.

How in the world is the pace so slow for you guys?
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#23 » by 2poor » Sun Mar 2, 2008 12:53 am

They play defense. They're 7th in that.

The running you often see comes off of their defense creating turnovers, beyond that they like to run the shot clock and get good looks.

That was really the difference in last night's game was it not? The Jazz turned the ball over 9 times in the first quarter which led to the huge run and lead. They limited their turnovers to one in each of the next two quarters and the game got close again. The game ended up being decided by turnovers and timely shooting.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#24 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:15 am

Our fast break game is great, we are very efficient about it, not running and jacking erratic shots like GS, we run when we can, and if not, Chris pops back out and sets the offense instead of forcing the issue. It's kind of how SA lets Tony Parker run.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#25 » by Duiz » Sun Mar 2, 2008 4:41 am

2poor wrote:They play defense. They're 7th in that.

The running you often see comes off of their defense creating turnovers, beyond that they like to run the shot clock and get good looks.

That was really the difference in last night's game was it not? The Jazz turned the ball over 9 times in the first quarter which led to the huge run and lead. They limited their turnovers to one in each of the next two quarters and the game got close again. The game ended up being decided by turnovers and timely shooting.

Last night was extremely uncharacteristic quarter by the Jazz... You gotta understand that a wounded Jazz lost by one layup to the Celtics, the best defense in the NBA.

Nevertheless, I can see what you are talking about. That means that Chandler and West must be excellent outlet passers.

Nonetheless Paul has made himself a good offensive player to draw in defenders and kick out the pass to the open 3 pt shooter.
2poor
RealGM

Post#26 » by 2poor » Sun Mar 2, 2008 7:33 pm

Duiz wrote:Last night was extremely uncharacteristic quarter by the Jazz... You gotta understand that a wounded Jazz lost by one layup to the Celtics, the best defense in the NBA.

Nevertheless, I can see what you are talking about. That means that Chandler and West must be excellent outlet passers.

Nonetheless Paul has made himself a good offensive player to draw in defenders and kick out the pass to the open 3 pt shooter.

No worries, the first 2 games were uncharacteristic of New Orleans. Both games prior they went into Utah on 2-game losing streaks and playing like crap. This was the first game so far that both teams have [for the most part] gone into a head-to-head match-up with a decent bit of momentum, not too mention relatively good health.

And yes, everyone is a good outlet passer, particularly West and Chandler. They know exactly where to find Paul and are adept at leading him up the floor with passes so that he has a full head of steam going the other way.

Also, as NO-KG-AI mentioned, they're very efficient with their breaks; Paul has the wherewithal to pull it out if he's decided they aren't going to get a good look.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#27 » by Copperhead » Wed Mar 5, 2008 5:14 am

2poor, did you see that poll on ESPN.com about the best pg in the NBA? I often times wonder what CP thinks about all this. I mean he's only 22 years old. He's great but I'd hate for him to feel like he was under any kind of pressure.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=nba&pollId=53270

Return to New Orleans Pelicans