Second Round: New Orleans Hornets v. San Antonio Spurs (3-3)

Moderator: bwgood77

GameCock-MD
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#41 » by GameCock-MD » Tue May 6, 2008 11:40 pm

Just a quick heads-up:

Someone needs to complain to the NBA Head Office about the moving screens set by Thomas, Duncan and Oberto.

Someone needs to send a complaint about Bruce Bowen's hand checking and tripping that he gets away with. He's also notorious for grabbing the wrist or jersey on the drive.
Anth0ny
Senior
And1: 193

Post#42 » by Anth0ny » Thu May 8, 2008 3:19 am

From a Raptors fan (and Mo Pete FANBOY), I'd like to say GO HORNETS!!! You guys are awesome! Please eliminate the Spurs!
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,696

Post#43 » by durden_tyler » Thu May 8, 2008 7:45 am

GameCock-MD wrote:Just a quick heads-up:

Someone needs to complain to the NBA Head Office about the moving screens set by Thomas, Duncan and Oberto.

Someone needs to send a complaint about Bruce Bowen's hand checking and tripping that he gets away with. He's also notorious for grabbing the wrist or jersey on the drive.

If the refs don't see it, it's a good play ;) That is just how the game of basketball goes...Also, tough teams play through calls/semi-dirty plays as this one, so a true contender shouldn't whine and just play

Keys for Game Three:

+ Early Energy. If the Spurs get hot early look for them to blowout the Hornets because after all they are at home.
+ No Blowout. This will give them a morale boost going into the next game and it could easily change the complexion of the serie this is the defending champions we are talking about after all...Stay with them and give the team a chance to win in the fourth...
+ Stop any 1 of the Big Three. Duncan had his off night and Manu too. Time to shut down Parker (If that is doable on the road...)
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#44 » by 2poor » Thu May 8, 2008 1:46 pm

The Hornets don't need to worry about jumping out to an early lead, and in fact, they should expect to be trailing for much of the game. The key is to keep it close in the second half and make one of their patented runs to close out the game.

Geaux Hornets!

2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#45 » by 2poor » Thu May 8, 2008 1:50 pm

hmm. game 1's final was 101-82. game 2, 102-84. game 3 to be 103-86? :D
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#46 » by magee » Thu May 8, 2008 7:32 pm

The Spurs are going to make some adjustments. Here are some of the areas I see San Antonio changing their approach:

Put Bowen on Peja. If Bowen can't stop Paul from getting 30 and 12, then why not put him on the standstill shooter who is shooting over 60% from 3?

Hornets adjustment to this:

Either post up Peja or post up West on Peja's side. If Bowen doubles, Peja is open. If Peja is posting up, he can find cutters in the middle of the lane. Expect to see Bonzi Wells in the line-up if this switch happens.

Put Manu in situations off the ball so when he gets it, he doesn't have to create for others. He's been doubled by the Hornets constantly and there hasn't been anything the Spurs have done about it. They'll get him to be their scorer instead of distributor.

Hornets' adjustment to this:

Put Wright on him if they move Manu off the ball to score. It takes away the Spurs' 3-point threat if manu is constantly working off the ball. Why not have a guy with fresh legs chase him around for 15 minutes and wear him down for teh 4th quarter?

Have TP force the issue. He can score on the Hornets in transition and kick it out to a trailing Finley or Bowen for 3.

Hornets' adjustment to this:

Let Parker score. He can get his 30, but they'll make him earn it from the free throw line. If he gets into the lane, hack him. He'll flop like a bitch, but let him. Nothing should be given to him.

San Antonio will want to come out firing in the first half. They'll want to get everyone involved so Duncan can get his opportunities in teh second half to do some damage. They'll work the ball around to the shooters and get Duncan moving towards the weakside for quick entry passes.

Hornets' adjustment:

Stick on Finley and Bowen. Make them dribble the second they catch it. Then come out inthe second half like they have all season. The hornets are a second half team. if the Spurs get out to a quick start, New orleans would respond by doing the exact same thing in the 4th quarter.

This game is a lot closer, but I see San Antonio winning by a couple points because they're at home. Then, in Game 4, Paul takes over and gets a quadruple-double and brings it back to New orleans, where they win in 5.

This all probably won't happen, but I'm hoping it does just so everyone thinks San Antonio isn't done, even though they are.
2poor
RealGM

Post#47 » by 2poor » Thu May 8, 2008 9:50 pm

Well said magee, I expect to see much of what you've outlined go down tonight.

In other news, CP3 with yet another franchise first: first Hornet to make the All-NBA 1st team.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/Chris_P ... 16-31.html

:clap:
Invictus
Starter
And1: 45

Post#48 » by Invictus » Fri May 9, 2008 2:07 am

damn. CP3 is just DIRTY against the spurs...and I mean that in a good context

if the hornets continue beasting on san antonio like this...i don't give a damn what the lakers are doing, you guys should be the west's representatives in the finals
psyclone1982
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#49 » by psyclone1982 » Fri May 9, 2008 2:48 am

durden_tyler wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If the refs don't see it, it's a good play ;) That is just how the game of basketball goes...Also, tough teams play through calls/semi-dirty plays as this one, so a true contender shouldn't whine and just play

Keys for Game Three:

+ Early Energy. If the Spurs get hot early look for them to blowout the Hornets because after all they are at home.
+ No Blowout. This will give them a morale boost going into the next game and it could easily change the complexion of the serie this is the defending champions we are talking about after all...Stay with them and give the team a chance to win in the fourth...
+ Stop any 1 of the Big Three. Duncan had his off night and Manu too. Time to shut down Parker (If that is doable on the road...)

It's the same thing with Shaq\'s FT lane violations, as soon as you point it out they see it, so someone really should get in touch with the NBA and let them know to look out for it, if its illeagal, they will call it.
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#50 » by Truthiracy » Fri May 9, 2008 3:21 am

Go New Orleans
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#51 » by magee » Fri May 9, 2008 3:48 am

Well, Bonzi hasn't been too much of a factor so far. Maybe that'll change in the 4th quarter. His defensive rotations were the reason why they couldn't keep a lead when he was in there, but if he has Kurt Thomas iso ever again in this game, he will make teh Spurs pay.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#52 » by durden_tyler » Fri May 9, 2008 5:37 am

Game 3 quite hurt as the defending champions found a way to dominate the fourth quarter with their hustle, defense and poise--- something that can really give them confidence for Game Four... i am not too worried how Chris Paul plays next, but he's better of being a passer first rather than a bigtime scorer like tonight.

Do not get me wrong, the Hornets need his scoring production, but it seems like the Spurs game plan is to let CP3 go crazy on them on the baskets and try to put the other guys off their rhythm. Because after all, they know they can not stop Chris only slow them down.

That said, i hope Coach Scott makes the adjustments and involve other players early on for the next game, particularly Peja and Bonzi.
2poor
RealGM

Post#53 » by 2poor » Fri May 9, 2008 1:41 pm

Spurs were just more desperate, I don't think anyone was really thinking there would be a sweep. Regroup for Game 4, and close it out at home in Game 5.

:pray:
bbfan_1
Ballboy

Post#54 » by bbfan_1 » Fri May 9, 2008 4:44 pm

Paul is just amazing, it is unbelievable.

That said he is still a kid, he was sucked into competition with Parker and he lost his biggest edge.

If NO is to win this series, Peja cannot take just 7 shots in the game. Paul needs to get his team involved. Yes, he was scoring at will but rest of the team was not involved and became lethargic. This shows on the defense. NO was not playing the same game they did in the first 2 games, they just did not hustle the same way.

Paul needs to set up his teammates and energize them, he must not be drawn into doing everything himself.
Magz50
Head Coach
And1: 114

Post#55 » by Magz50 » Mon May 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Made a new sig to big up the Paul vs Parker rivalry in this series. Been a joy to watch so far!
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#56 » by durden_tyler » Tue May 13, 2008 9:04 am

Joy to watch indeed but it's starting to show how more mature the Spurs are against the Hornets. Only CP3 is the only one playing smart as the young guns are starting to struggle with the pressure.

Game Five will really define what these players are made of especially the likes of Peja (a know playoffs choker/non-performer) plus West and Chandler (relatively young against the likes of TD and Thomas) who should grow up eventually but the big question is if that happens this series.
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,152

Post#57 » by starbosa10 » Fri May 16, 2008 12:03 am

GO HORNETS!!! BEAT THE DIRTY SPURS!!!
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#58 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Fri May 16, 2008 1:30 am

go horents and i come form the blazer boreds with a small gift i would like to open up the blazers chat room you all horets fans since the blazer arent in you u can all use it you you would like http://www.sportsgamechat.com/blazers/
feel free t coem in its all decked out in blazers logos tho
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

BBen
Starter

Post#59 » by BBen » Fri May 16, 2008 3:01 am

Why doesn't Byron Scott call any time outs? It confused me that he left his young team on the floor to bleed for so long.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,080
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#60 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri May 16, 2008 4:33 am

He's like Phil, he wants the team to play through adversity. It's a good thing sometimes.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to New Orleans Pelicans