Yankees/Dodger deal?

#1knickfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Yankees/Dodger deal? 

Post#1 » by #1knickfan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:06 pm

If the Yankees finally trade for Johan Santana they are going to need more outfield help because I don't think Damon can play center field anymore. With a rotation that could feature Santana, Wang, Petitte, Mussina, Kennedy, Chamberlain and Igawa along with many young guys and a veteran like Carl Pavano potentially stepping in somewhere along the line it seems as if we can live without a starter. So how about this deal:

The Yankees trade:
Mike Mussina
cash

Dodgers trade:
Juan Pierre
minor leaguer prospect

The Yankees would throw in some cash to make it more the deal easier for the Dodgers to swallow financially. The Dodgers throw in a non-elite prospect to compensate for the fact they are adding a veteran starter for a guy who doesn't seem to have much of a role for their team.

This deal gives the Dodgers a veteran starter to strengthen their rotation considering Schimits injury history and the uncertainy with Kuroda. For the Yankees it gives them a Pierre to play center. Although Pierre doesn't have the arm I would like in an outfielder he does have the speed to move around center field and consistantly get to stuff that Damon with his age might not always get to. At the same time it also gives the Yankees another really speedy guy for the offense.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#2 » by Basketball Jesus » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:42 pm

It's not a bad proposition on paper, although I'd probably argue the Yankees should be the one parting with the prospect along with the cash given that Pavano's thrown all of 11 innings over the past two seasons.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by bigboy1234 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:35 am

What does Pavano having thrown 11 innings have to do with this deal?
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:25 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:What does Pavano having thrown 11 innings have to do with this deal?

That's he's essentially a crapshoot at this point with no relatively recent data to base any kind of educated guess as to his performance on.

At least with Pierre you know what you're getting: crap. But at least it's crap that has produced some sort of tangible production.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by HCYanks » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:01 pm

I think bigboy meant that you misread the deal. The Yankees would be trading Mussina, not Pavano. I don't see why Pierre would be any kind of upgrade over Melky (especially since a lot of people think Melky will be a pretty decent starter eventually), so I wouldn't do the deal. I think Mussina could still be a serviceable starter so long as his workload is limited, and the Yankees need all the rotational depth they can get since Hughes and Joba won't/shouldn't be pitching 200 innings this season.

Although it does fit with Torre's alleged M.O. of trying to relocate the 2007 Yankees to Los Angeles.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Basketball Jesus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:27 am

Oh, holy sh*t do I need glasses. Or ritalin.
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#7 » by #1knickfan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:38 am

HCYanks wrote:I think bigboy meant that you misread the deal. The Yankees would be trading Mussina, not Pavano. I don't see why Pierre would be any kind of upgrade over Melky (especially since a lot of people think Melky will be a pretty decent starter eventually), so I wouldn't do the deal. I think Mussina could still be a serviceable starter so long as his workload is limited, and the Yankees need all the rotational depth they can get since Hughes and Joba won't/shouldn't be pitching 200 innings this season.

Although it does fit with Torre's alleged M.O. of trying to relocate the 2007 Yankees to Los Angeles.

Well I agree that Pierre would never be an upgrade over Cabrera in anything other than speed but thats why I came up with this proposal in the event that the Yanks deal Cabrera for Santana eventually. I think Pierre's youth and comparatively less mileage would make him more effective at center than Johnny Damon.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by HCYanks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:03 am

Oh yeah I definitely agree Damon shouldn't be starting in center anymore... though hypothetically if Melky got dealt in a Santana deal I wonder if they'd bring up Brett Gardner a little early as a stopgap until Austin Jackson is ready for the majors.
massey1992
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#9 » by massey1992 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:39 pm

I acutally like this deal really. Pierre would be a good addition for the Yanks and Mussina would help this pitching for the Dodgers. Good job coming up with this deal #1Knicksfan.
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#10 » by A.J. » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:18 pm

I would do this deal if I were the Yankees.
njncarter15
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by njncarter15 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:16 am

now you would A.J.? Mussinas been EXTREMELY good this year giving his age, hes been a great surprise for us...we have a glut of OF and some more coming up in the minors (gardner, jackson, tabata)
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Yankees/Dodger deal? 

Post#12 » by HCYanks » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:00 pm

I think Gardner is Pierre but with better plate discipline so this deal would be absolutely nonsensical now.
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#13 » by #1knickfan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Yea, with the way Mussina has pitched this idea has been dead to me for a while.
royalina
Ballboy

Post#14 » by royalina » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:17 am

I think Mussina could still be a serviceable starter so long as his workload is limited, and the Yankees need all the rotational depth they can get since Hughes and Joba won't/shouldn't be pitching 200 innings this season.
Huuminh
Sophomore

Post#15 » by Huuminh » Fri Sep 2, 2011 5:33 am

I deal with Yankees. That would never happen to give up... :)
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#16 » by sh00n » Sat Sep 3, 2011 9:25 pm

Huuminh wrote:I deal with Yankees. That would never happen to give up... :)

Way to revive an old thread just for a single post added to your total. :rock:
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Huuminh
Sophomore

Post#17 » by Huuminh » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:44 pm

A great trade for the Evil Empire. They could use a stud pitcher to carry all those over paid chumps.

Return to Trades and Transactions