Any interest in Coco out there?

greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Any interest in Coco out there? 

Post#1 » by greenbeans » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:06 pm

just trying to gauge his value. now that the johan saga is settled we have an extra gold glove cf. is every other team set at this position already?? any gm's hot for coco?? ba-dum-cha
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#2 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:44 pm

"Extra" implies the Sox have more than one Gold Glove CF. In actuality, the Sox have zero Gold Glove centerfielders on their roster.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#3 » by greenbeans » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:22 am

ok, one who got robbbed and one who will be within 2 years, sorrrrryyy
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:40 am

Coco's going to be a tough sell; all the teams desperate for CF help already found suitable fillers.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#5 » by greenbeans » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:50 am

isnt jones currently slotted as the M's cf?? if they do the bedard trade you think they might be intereted?? maybe one of clay/lester and coco for putz and a midlevel prospect?
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#6 » by sunshinekids99 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:58 am

Could the Twins still be an option? I also think the Padres could be an option if they feel Edmonds can't cover enough ground for them.

Maybe it would just be best to hold onto this guy for awhile and see if someone goes down in Spring Training.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#7 » by studcrackers » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:26 am

greenbeans wrote:isnt jones currently slotted as the M's cf?? if they do the bedard trade you think they might be intereted?? maybe one of clay/lester and coco for putz and a midlevel prospect?

cmon guy you honestly believe a team trades there farm for a top flight starter and plans on contending then will turn around and trade a top 5 closer?

i wouldve liked him to have been a ranger but we traded for josh hamilton instead
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:02 am

greenbeans wrote:isnt jones currently slotted as the M's cf?? if they do the bedard trade you think they might be intereted?? maybe one of clay/lester and coco for putz and a midlevel prospect?

First: Ichiro's their centerfielder.
Second: why would the Sox want Putz? They have Papelbon.
34Celtic
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#9 » by 34Celtic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:04 am

Basketball Jesus wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

First: Ichiro's their centerfielder.
Second: why would the Sox want Putz? They have Papelbon.

Well they could always switch Ichiro back to right and put Coco in center if they do happen to get Bedard....They do not have a right fielder...

Ibanez, Coco, and Ichiro....from a defensive standpoint - it would be pretty easy which one of the three wouldn't belong in that group.
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:05 am

sunshinekids99 wrote:Could the Twins still be an option? I also think the Padres could be an option if they feel Edmonds can't cover enough ground for them.

Maybe it would just be best to hold onto this guy for awhile and see if someone goes down in Spring Training.

The Padres seem to be keen on trying out Antonelli in center this season along with Edmonds.

The Twins have Delmon Young in center.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#11 » by greenbeans » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:55 pm

studcrackers wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

cmon guy you honestly believe a team trades there farm for a top flight starter and plans on contending then will turn around and trade a top 5 closer?

i wouldve liked him to have been a ranger but we traded for josh hamilton instead

guy, if they can then have a solid no.3 with the new ace to pair with king felix then why not?? how deep is the M's rotation after that and Washburn, i dont know?? if you have a starting rotation like that and an outfield with Coco and Ichiro roaming around watch out, cuz you arennt scoring much runs on them.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#12 » by studcrackers » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 pm

they arent going to trade a top flight closer for a #3 starter and a guy who's a 4th OF on a team (i dont care how good his defense is, he's still your 4th OF)

if it was billy beane i could see something like that possible (though he'd probably get more) also silva is there #2 starter
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Feb 1, 2008 1:17 am

greenbeans wrote:guy, if they can then have a solid no.3 with the new ace to pair with king felix then why not?? how deep is the M's rotation after that and Washburn, i dont know?? if you have a starting rotation like that and an outfield with Coco and Ichiro roaming around watch out, cuz you arennt scoring much runs on them.

Both Ichiro and Coco have significantly more value in center than elsewhere. It would make absolutely no sense for the Mariners to trade for him. Especially
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Feb 1, 2008 1:23 am

34Celtic wrote:Well they could always switch Ichiro back to right and put Coco in center if they do happen to get Bedard....They do not have a right fielder...

Wladimir Balentien would most likely play right if Jones is moved. Balentien is sufficient enough defensively and his offensive potential is much higher than Coco's. Ibanez would end up platooning in left with Wilkerson.

It makes very little sense for the Mariners to trade for Coco. All he offers is defense and the Mariners already have one of the best defensive centerfielders in the league.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Feb 1, 2008 1:25 am

greenbeans wrote:guy, if they can then have a solid no.3 with the new ace to pair with king felix then why not?? how deep is the M's rotation after that and Washburn, i dont know?? if you have a starting rotation like that and an outfield with Coco and Ichiro roaming around watch out, cuz you arennt scoring much runs on them.

OK, and why exactly would the Mariners trade one of the best closers in the league with nothing to replace him?
34Celtic
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#16 » by 34Celtic » Fri Feb 1, 2008 6:44 pm

OK
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Feb 1, 2008 6:53 pm

sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:11 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The Twins have Delmon Young in center.

I think Young would make for a better corner outfielder. I wasn't all that impressed with his range, but I do admit a very limited sample.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Basketball Jesus » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:53 am

No doubt, but why trade for a center fielder when you have an average-good one defensively with a plus bat?
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by sunshinekids99 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:34 am

Yeah I hear you. Just find it hard to believe that nobody would want Coco Crisp.

Return to Trades and Transactions