Baseball America Midseason Top 25

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#21 » by studcrackers » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:51 am

im shocked to find masterson was born in jamaica

does that guy look like he tokes it and listens to reggae all day?

also what do people think of kasey kiker? i think if he was 3 inches taller he could project to be almost as good as a guy like kershaw, but thats probably the homer in me talking
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#22 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:54 am

Masterson is a huge fan of God. Also, he's 6'6" about 250 and his arm is made of diamonds.

At worst, he's going to be Roy Halladay.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
teamny1
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#23 » by teamny1 » Thu Aug 9, 2007 11:44 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

But Tabata's numbers in high A are blowing Martinez's out of the water outside of the power numbers, and the FSL is largely a pitcher's league, and Tabata plays in what is ridiculously a pitcher's park.

As for the Tabata/Martinez, that's just how it is. Two players who are the same age, with similar tools, etc. It's like Jeter/Reyes, Wright/ARod, and last year the Hughes/Pelfrey arguments. So far the Yanks are 3-0 on those, so I like my chances with Tabata. :lol:

Hey, sorry to say this b/c I know you know everything already. But Jeter and Arod are much older than Reyes and Wright. Again, I apologize for intruding.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#24 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Aug 9, 2007 4:10 pm

teamny1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hey, sorry to say this b/c I know you know everything already. But Jeter and Arod are much older than Reyes and Wright. Again, I apologize for intruding.

What does age have to do with ANYTHING I was talking about? I wasn't talking about prospect comparisons, I was talking about whenever the Yankees and Mets have a good player at the same position they get compared to one another. Maybe you were better off not intruding.
teamny1
Bench Warmer

Post#25 » by teamny1 » Thu Aug 9, 2007 7:16 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

As for the Tabata/Martinez, that's just how it is. Two players who are the same age, with similar tools, etc. It's like Jeter/Reyes, Wright/ARod, and last year the Hughes/Pelfrey arguments. So far the Yanks are 3-0 on those, so I like my chances with Tabata. :lol:

So two players who are the same age, with similar tools get compared. And then you say it's like Jeter/Reyes and Wright/Arod. HENCE, I said they aren't close at all in age.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Aug 9, 2007 7:29 pm

teamny1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So two players who are the same age, with similar tools get compared. And then you say it's like Jeter/Reyes and Wright/Arod. HENCE, I said they aren't close at all in age.

Well I'm glad that you care enough to interpret what I say, but you couldn't be more wrong. I said that Tabata and Martinez are the same age with similar tools. And when I said "it's like" I was saying "when you compare them it's like" comparing the other guys because it is a Yankee/Met thing. Again, I am flattered that you care enough about what I say to make your own interprations. I apologize for not making it more clear and actually saying "Comparing those two is like when you compare Jeter/Reyes or ARod/Wright because it is a Yankee/Met thing as always." Now I know better for next time.
YungNeef
RealGM

Post#27 » by YungNeef » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:24 am

NYK who is the Yanks' Guerra, because we know they will get compared also?
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:45 am

YungNeef wrote:NYK who is the Yanks' Guerra, because we know they will get compared also?

The Yankees are so ridiculously stacked with pitching prospects right now, it can be one of a number of guys. Obviously Hughes and Joba have graduated to the majors, and Kennedy will be next. After him will be Horne who should already be in AAA (leads the EL in ERA and Ks I believe). Then there are the injured crop of guys like Humberto Sanchez and Christian Garcia. Many people feel that Garcia's ceiling is higher than Hughes' if he can put it all together. It really is not even believable what the Yankees have in terms of pitching down in the minors. I didn't even mention guys like Clippard, Marquez, McCutchen, McAllister...hopefully we sign the draftees from June's draft so I can add Brackman, Carpenter, and Peavey to the list.

Jairo Heredia is a possibility. He is only 17 and sits 92-94, touches 95, has good command and a nice curveball. And while he is only in the GCL, he is putting up better numbers than Betances did last season in the same league. In 44.1 innings, he has a 2.44 ERA and has struck out 51 while walking just 9 and allowing 36 hits.
Betances is a guy you could bring up, but they are completely different pitchers so I wouldn't go there.

In terms of age and stuff, I'd say Heredia is the closest thing. He just has to prove himself at a higher level before he starts getting the recognition and comparisons.

Return to Minor Leagues