RIP Flanny

Moderator: Rafael122

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

RIP Flanny 

Post#1 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:16 am

RIP, Mike Flanagan. You are and will remain so sorely missed.

http://www.masnsports.com/index_medialo ... d=707025&p
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
And1: 2,106

Re: RIP Flanny 

Post#2 » by MaxwellSmart » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:34 pm

I met Mike Flanagan way back in the summer of 1978....I was a 17 year old kid living near Los Angeles.

Back then, I lived for Orioles baseball....It was before cable or satellite TV---Got to watch maybe 6 games a year...So, when the O's made their second west coast trip--I drove down to their hotel, and hung out by the lobby ( it was actually okay to do this back then-Hotel employees were cool with one fan hanging out )....The very first player to come into the lobby that morning was Mike Flanagan.... I asked for his autograph on his Topps 1978 card---He was Really nice, and seemed surprised someone recognized him...I told him he was pitching Great lately--he said the entire team was..and I agreed....Of course, the next season, he went on to win the Cy Young Award...He asked me where he could get the morning paper, I pointed to the hotel gift shop...I thanked him, and he thanked me...He seemed like a genuinely nice guy...I still have the card.

I also got to meet Eddie Murray, Ken Singleton, Mark Belanger, Jim Palmer, Jim Frey....Those days are long gone...But, THOSE Orioles were the Best...Super nice guys all of them.

R.I.P. Flanny.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Just happened to run across this video introducing the 1983 O's - it's great to the end - with a Dempsey classic. http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/schm ... e-flanagan
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:35 pm

Too young to see him pitch, but I always enjoyed it when he was in the booth. A tragic, horrific way to go. Hopefully he's found peace.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Huuminh
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Huuminh » Tue Sep 6, 2011 11:59 am

its been confirmed that Flanagan died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Apparently he was troubled by fans who said the Orioles state of despair was due to him.

Return to Baltimore Orioles